PDA

View Full Version : Republican Brown wins Massachusetts Senate seat

kwame k
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
BOSTON – Republican Scott Brown has won the Massachusetts Senate seat held for nearly a half-century by Democrat Edward Kennedy.
Brown's victory in the special election gives Senate Republicans the 41st vote they need to block legislation favored by majority Democrats and President Barack Obama.

link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100120/ap_on_el_se/us_massachusetts_senate;_ylt=AisN3ghniAuDVFydMRD7I 5CyFz4D;_ylu=X3oDMTJvYmY1ZnZxBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwM TIwL3VzX21hc3NhY2h1c2V0dHNfc2VuYXRlBGNwb3MDMQRwb3M DMgRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNyZXB1YmxpY2FuYnI-)

kwame k
01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Stupid fucking Democrats.....fucked up their super majority by being spineless pussies when it came to getting anything done.

Come the mid-terms the fucking Repukes will probably get the fucking majority back and we'll be back to the glory years that were......you know, the 6 years the Repukes ran the WH and had the majority....can we go any further backwards than we are now? When the Repukes get the majority back I guess we'll see how far back they can push us.

On a brighter note......I can now know exactly what it was like for my grandparents, having most likely, lived through a Great Depression, myself.

kwame k
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Looks I picked the wrong week to.........

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyhaTQseKTQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lyhaTQseKTQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Unchainme
01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
On a brighter note......I can now know exactly what it was like for my grandparents, having most likely, lived through a Great Depression, myself.

It's bad, but it's not THAT bad.

I don't see people living in shacks and lining up at the soup kitchen and Obama giving fireside chats.

Hell, I live in a Rust belt state, and even it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as people would think.

Dr. Love
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Stupid fucking Democrats.....fucked up their super majority by being spineless pussies when it came to getting anything done.

Come the mid-terms the fucking Repukes will probably get the fucking majority back and we'll be back to the glory years that were......you know, the 6 years the Repukes ran the WH and had the majority....can we go any further backwards than we are now? When the Repukes get the majority back I guess we'll see how far back they can push us.

When was that Depression you lived through?

kwame k
01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
It's bad, but it's not THAT bad.

I don't see people living in shacks and lining up at the soup kitchen and Obama giving fireside chats.

Hell, I live in a Rust belt state, and even it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as people would think.

Just moved from Michigan last year........I'm saying if the Repukes get the majority back we are fucked.

A drive down hwy 24 here in Colorado, along Fountain Creek and there's 50 or 60 tents along the creek. There's a line at the local soup kitchen here, too.

I agree we are not in a Depression but we are definitely on a razor's edge.

Unchainme
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Just moved from Michigan last year........I'm saying if the Repukes get the majority back we are fucked.

A drive down hwy 24 here in Colorado, along Fountain Creek and there's 50 or 60 tents along the creek. There's a line at the local soup kitchen here, too.

I agree we are not in a Depression but we are definitely on a razor's edge.

Not seeing it around here, which is funny, as this area is not exactly "thriving"

I am seeing a lot of adults on my campus though as a lot of jobs have up and left and they're working on getting a diploma for something that's auctually in need.

That's about it.

kwame k
01-19-2010, 10:09 PM
When was that Depression you lived through?

Six months before my divorce;)

IF the Repukes get the majority back I'll more than likely know what a Great Depression is.....

Unchainme
01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
IF the Repukes get the majority back I'll more than likely know what a Great Depression is.....

auctually the last time the economy was really good, was when there was a Democrat as President and a Republican Congress. ;)

kwame k
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Not seeing it around here, which is funny, as this area is not exactly "thriving"

I am seeing a lot of adults on my campus though as a lot of jobs have up and left and they're working on getting a diploma for something that's auctually in need.

That's about it.

Not to brag about Colorado but with all the Military Bases, Military suppliers, and such......there's a fair amount of jobs out there.

It's strange seeing all the tents out there and considering how cold it's been here...I'd of thought they would go to warmer climates. I know I would......More Homeless People Moving To The Springs (http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/81070832.html)

kwame k
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
auctually the last time the economy was really good, was when there was a Democrat as President and a Republican Congress. ;)

True very true.

Seshmeister
01-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Seems to me that enough of the Democrats in Congress are owned so this doesn't make much difference.

kwame k
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Seems to me that enough of the Democrats in Congress are owned so this doesn't make much difference.

Yeah, I think you're right......I'm still not giving up on politics and will continue to vote but......unless the fat fucking lazy bastards, that are my Countrymen, don't put down the remote and start voting for better candidates we'll be in this mess forever.

I do think this is what you're going to see over the next 4 years or so.....wild swings in elections and a back and forth between Repukes and Demos. Kinda like no party loyalty and voting for whatever party is not in power at the time.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-19-2010, 10:58 PM
John explains it clearly, starting at the 6:30 mark....

<table style='font:11px arial; color:#333; background-color:#f5f5f5' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='360' height='353'><tbody><tr style='background-color:#e5e5e5' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;'><a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com'>The Daily Show With Jon Stewart</a></td><td style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; text-align:right; font-weight:bold;'>Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c</td></tr><tr style='height:14px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'<a target='_blank' style='color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-18-2010/mass-backwards'>Mass Backwards<a></td></tr><tr style='height:14px; background-color:#353535' valign='middle'><td colspan='2' style='padding:2px 5px 0px 5px; width:360px; overflow:hidden; text-align:right'><a target='_blank' style='color:#96deff; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/'>www.thedailyshow.com</a></td></tr><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:262017' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed></td></tr><tr style='height:18px;' valign='middle'><td style='padding:0px;' colspan='2'><table style='margin:0px; text-align:center' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%' height='100%'><tr valign='middle'><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes'>Daily Show<br/> Full Episodes</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.indecisionforever.com'>Political Humor</a></td><td style='padding:3px; width:33%;'><a target='_blank' style='font:10px arial; color:#333; text-decoration:none;' href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/videos/tag/health'>Health Care Crisis</a></td></tr></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

sadaist
01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Democrats had the filibuster proof super majority for a year + and did absolutely nothing with it. Good riddance.

Hardrock69
01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Why do you think Obama was in such a hurry to get healthcare reform taken care of?

Well, now is the time for the Republicans to step up to the plate.

All they have done so far is try to stop the Democrats from doing anything to help America.
And have NOT come up with ANY suggestions to try to help out.

If the Democratic plans are so bad, WHERE THE FUCK IS A REPUBLICAN PLAN?

NOWHERE IN SIGHT!

So if they want to do something positive for a change, now is the time.

Though I am quite sure they are dancing around the house now, as they can continue getting huge sums of money from Corporate Healthcare Providers and Insurance Companies everywhere, and, just as with the Chimpy Administration, they can ignore the People Of The United States Of America, and they can continue to allow us all to be assraped when it comes to healthcare.

They have their chance now.

Let us see if they do anything with it.

kwame k
01-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Why do you think Obama was in such a hurry to get healthcare reform taken care of?

All they have done so far is try to stop the Democrats from doing anything to help America.

NOWHERE IN SIGHT!

So if they want to do something positive for a change, now is the time.

Though I am quite sure they are dancing around the house now, as they can continue getting huge sums of money from Corporate Healthcare Providers and Insurance Companies everywhere, and, just as with the Chimpy Administration, they can ignore the People Of The United States Of America, and they can continue to allow us all to be assraped when it comes to healthcare.

They have there chance now.

Let us see if they do anything with it.

That's the problem....The Republicans think there's nothing wrong with our Health Care System.

The Democrats even losing this one seat still have a majority and like Jon Stewart said.....they have 18 more seats than Bush had when he did whatever the fuck he wanted to.

Is it Reid and Pelosi are completely useless, yes, is it the fact that the Democrats have been whining for so many years about the Republicans that when finally given a chance to do something about it they are like......Oh shit! we spent all our time bitching and never put a plan together as to what we'd do if we actually had the power to do something.

FORD
01-20-2010, 12:01 AM
What the fuck is in the water in Boston? This all reminds me of Dukakis in 88 and Judas IsKerryot in 2004.

Weak candidate runs a pathetic campaign, loses to someone even worse and then concedes before the fucking votes are even counted.

Ted Kennedy deserved better. :(

kwame k
01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
What the fuck is in the water in Boston? This all reminds me of Dukakis in 88 and Judas IsKerryot in 2004.

Weak candidate runs a pathetic campaign, loses to someone even worse and then concedes before the fucking votes are even counted.

There goes Teddy's legacy being Health Care Reform:mad:

sadaist
01-20-2010, 12:06 AM

So did Mary Jo Kopechne.

Seshmeister
01-20-2010, 12:11 AM
You kill one woman and does anyone ever give you a break over it...? :)

kwame k
01-20-2010, 12:11 AM
So did Mary Jo Kopechne.

She sure did......

FORD
01-20-2010, 12:19 AM
You kill one woman and does anyone ever give you a break over it...? :)

It's like a bad reflex with these Repukes

You could say that you met Ted Kennedy waiting for a cab outside the Capitol building and mentioned it was raining, and a Repuke would probably respond "Yeah, we'll too bad he didn't fucking drown in the rain. Like Mary Jo Kopechne".

Blackflag
01-20-2010, 01:55 AM

Are you for real, clown?

hambon4lif
01-20-2010, 02:38 AM
BOSTON – Republican Scott Brown has won the Massachusetts Senate seat held for nearly a half-century by Democrat Edward Kennedy.
Brown's victory in the special election gives Senate Republicans the 41st vote they need to block legislation favored by majority Democrats and President Barack Obama.
In retrospect, it may not have been a good idea that Obama publicly backed Coakley. The general opinion right now is that it sealed her fate.
If he wanted Coakley to win the seat, he should've backed Brown.

ULTRAMAN VH
01-20-2010, 04:12 AM
The American citizens have sent another clear message to the current administration that yes they wanted change, but not the kind of change Obama and his cabinet want to impose. The dems have not learned a damn thing from Bush's mistakes and continue to ignore those who pay their fat bloated salaries, the Middle Class!

Nitro Express
01-20-2010, 04:42 AM
It just goes to show you both Democrats and Republicans are greedy bastards. To be honest, the American public got more concerned with getting rich in .coms, living well on easy credit, consuming, and flipping real estate than paying attention to the politicians.

I wonder how many bills got passed that hardly anyone even read the bill. These people were just used to getting away with everything and they are out of touch. Now with the economy biting everybody in the ass, we are paying attention now. Now we realize the banks have fucked us, the corporations have fucked us, and the politicians don't care about us, they only care about the special interest money which of course is the banks and corporations.

Nitro Express
01-20-2010, 04:52 AM
We need to break up the monopolies like we did a century ago. The healthcare prices are monopoly prices and the drug prices are monopoly prices. Sadly, much of the financial abuse happened because we repealed the laws that were put in place to avoid such. Also, our Alaskan oil is owned by British Petrolium and it isn't coming here, it's going to China and Japan. There used to be a law that said only US companies could drill Alaska and all the oil had to go to the US. We've repealed all those laws and we are being raped by the multi-national corporations.

It's a bigger issue than just healthcare and we need to pass laws to stop the abuse. Maybe instead of socialized healthcare we can take over abusive companies and break them up into competing interests using anti-trust laws as the reason to do it. It's a complicated problem and it's not going to be fixed in one big sweep.

Nitro Express
01-20-2010, 05:02 AM
The American citizens have sent another clear message to the current administration that yes they wanted change, but not the kind of change Obama and his cabinet want to impose. The dems have not learned a damn thing from Bush's mistakes and continue to ignore those who pay their fat bloated salaries, the Middle Class!

Has Obama done anything for the American people? He gave the Federal Reserve and Wall Street a blank check. What he should have done put all the failed financial institutions under receivorship and and investigate them. Then give financial aid to institutions that look like they are salvagable but do so under strict guidelines.

Then he was supporting a horrid healthcare package that rewards the industries responsible for the high prices to begin with.

He also is esculating an unwinable situation in Iraq and Afganistahn. We are accomplishing nothing over there and it will only fuel more terrorism.

The best thing any president could do right now is set a goal to get off of oil in ten years. It would be a huge effort and it would create lots of jobs and have positive future spinoffs. The big corporations are going to not only destroy the US with their greed and stupidity but they just might set off World War III.

Nitro Express
01-20-2010, 05:10 AM
The Republicans better realize it's not business as usual. The Democrats blew it because they continued to march down the reward the corporate interests path. The American people are pissed and want real solutions. Not more abuse desguised as a solution. Thank's to Bush, Republicans have a real image problem but the Democrats have been such a huge dissapointment that the voters had to throw a wrench in their machine.

If this situation doesn't change the country is just going to rot away. We need real solutions instead of "taking advantage of the crises" like Rohm Immanual so smuggly remarked.

LoungeMachine
01-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Democrats had the filibuster proof super majority for a year + and did absolutely nothing with it. Good riddance.

Really?

When was this?

:gulp:

bueno bob
01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
The most immediate downside I see to this is that I'm going to have to listen to a bunch of jackoff Repukes dancing around and singing about "Taking America back."

For the more intelligent among us, HR summed it all up - "Let's see what they can do with it."

Unfortunately for most of the Repukes looking to break the blockade (or whatever), I've yet to hear anything sensible, or even ANYTHING at all sensible or otherwise, from a conservative about how to fix any of the problems facing America today, not only in regards to health care but on local and/or global issues in general.

Sure hear a lot of whining, though.
Sure hear a lot of bitching.
Hear a lot about "We're taking America back!"

Well, go for it, fuck-Os. Let's see your plan!

And then we'll see how long it takes momentum to shift back to us damn elitists.

:)

Igosplut
01-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I was hoping Coakley would win, just to get her out of the Ma AG seat. She's spent more time trying to prosecuting legal gun owners for unknowingly violating convoluted gun laws than prosecuting people that knowingly and wantonly commit gun felony's..

Sorta like wanting to get rid of Kerry..

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2010, 08:17 AM
The Republicans better realize it's not business as usual. The Democrats blew it because they continued to march down the reward the corporate interests path. The American people are pissed and want real solutions. Not more abuse desguised as a solution. Thank's to Bush, Republicans have a real image problem but the Democrats have been such a huge dissapointment that the voters had to throw a wrench in their machine.

If this situation doesn't change the country is just going to rot away. We need real solutions instead of "taking advantage of the crises" like Rohm Immanual so smuggly remarked.

LOL, you know bud, you can type all of that in one post, ya know... ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
This just goes to show, even in a supposedly liberal state like Mass., you just can't put a campaign on auto-pilot and hope for the best....

kwame k
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
This just goes to show, even in a supposedly liberal state like Mass., you just can't put a campaign on auto-pilot and hope for the best....

Very true....after reading of her epic fail as a campaigner, I can't really blame the people of Mass.

jhale667
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM

Nitro is the Roth Army's resident serial poster...:biggrin:

Dr. Love
01-20-2010, 10:29 AM

You could say that you met Ted Kennedy waiting for a cab outside the Capitol building and mentioned it was raining, and a Repuke would probably respond "Yeah, we'll too bad he didn't fucking drown in the rain. Like Mary Jo Kopechne".

yeah you're right, it's silly. Kinda like some democrat posters around here that post about laura bush and the guy she killed.

Dr. Love
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM

I think maybe he hits brain capacity and has to purge before he can queue up more content. ;)

Nitro Express
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
The voters in Massachusetts showed they are tired of the Democrats secretive behavior in Washington DC and they are sick of it. The establishment in Washington is out of touch with the public and their suffering,

Massachusetts Election Massacre Shows Dems Out of Touch With Times - DailyFinance (http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/massachusetts-massacre-shows-dems-out-of-touch-with-times/19323360/)

LoungeMachine
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
This should be in the existing thread......

merging

jhale667
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
And as for Kwame's "depression" comment - my parents grew up during the "Great" one, and Mom says while it's getting bad, it's nowhere near that bad yet.

LoungeMachine
01-20-2010, 01:08 PM
The REPUBLICAN Great Depression, you mean....

Jesus Christ
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
The REPUBLICAN Great Depression, you mean....

Verily :(

Blackflag
01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
It's amazing to me that, after everyting that has transpired, people are still playing 'my political party is better than yours.'.

sadaist
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
The most immediate downside I see to this is that I'm going to have to listen to a bunch of jackoff Repukes dancing around and singing about "Taking America back."

For the more intelligent among us, HR summed it all up - "Let's see what they can do with it."

I will answer your question right now. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

The way both parties have become is that they don't fight for Americans anymore, they fight each other for power. It doesn't matter if the Democrats are in power or the Republicans are in power. All it means is we have to hear the side that isn't talk about "taking it back". None of them give a rats ass about any of us. They care about their mansions, kick backs, how they look on TV, face time, and most importantly power.

They fight back and forth in a struggle for power. Meanwhile America goes down the crapper.

FORD
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Massachusetts, meet your new Senator......

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jezebel/2009/09/Scott-Brown-new3.jpg

...The Kennedys are doing cartwheels in their graves today. :(

Sgt Schultz
01-20-2010, 02:52 PM

http://www.gop.gov/resources/images/features/accountability/chart-debt-121709.jpg

It took about 3 minutes to come up with just a few. Here ya go.

Text of House GOP Health Care Reform Bill (http://rules-republicans.house.gov/Media/PDF/RepublicanAlternative3962_9.pdf)

Republican American Energy Act (http://www.gop.gov/download?folder=energy&file=AEAFullBill.pdf)

Republican Budget Plan (http://www.gop.gov/download?folder=budget&file=gop-budget.pdf)

Republican Housing Plan (http://www.gop.gov/download?folder=housing&file=gop-housing-plan.pdf)

Nickdfresh
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
In retrospect, it may not have been a good idea that Obama publicly backed Coakley. The general opinion right now is that it sealed her fate.
If he wanted Coakley to win the seat, he should've backed Brown.

Actually, the consensus is that no matter he did, he was just using a defibrillator on a corpse, because she assumed she was a shoe-in and decided not to campaign much...

And oh yeah, the million$ coming in from out of state flowing to the special interest fund coffers...

Guitar Shark
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.gop.gov/resources/images/features/accountability/chart-debt-121709.jpg

LOL. That may be the most misleading chart I've ever seen.

Nickdfresh
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Nitro is the Roth Army's resident serial poster...:biggrin:

As long as it prevents him from being Wyoming's serial killer...

sadaist
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Nah, I've seen better.

http://sandcastlehaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pie-chart-fail-550x439.jpg

Igosplut
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Actually, the consensus is that no matter he did, he was just using a defibrillator on a corpse, because she assumed she was a shoe-in and decided not to campaign much...

And oh yeah, the million$ coming in from out of state flowing to the special interest fund coffers...

Fucking Browns people called my house no less than Ten Times!!

And I have an unlisted number no less. The last call claimed to be his daughter (I hung up on her) At that point I wouldn't have voted for him even if he was guaranteeing no taxes and free blowjobs.. But he definitely had some money behind him...

Blackflag
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Fucking Browns people called my house no less than Ten Times!!

The fucker called me twice . . . and I'm in Yakima.

Nickdfresh
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Nah, I've seen better.

http://sandcastlehaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pie-chart-fail-550x439.jpg

But who doesn't want 193% of pie? :)

Blackflag
01-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd like some palin pie. :eatit:

scamper
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Yeah it's just the rebukes that do that...

Seshmeister
01-20-2010, 08:32 PM

Haha it's fucking ludicrous. :)

Why don't Republicans find it insulting?

scamper
01-20-2010, 08:32 PM
It's amazing to me that, after everyting that has transpired, people are still playing 'my political party is better than yours.'.

Amen!