• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High Life Man
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

This Is It

Wow.

Watched "This Is It" and, despite loathing MJ for certain decisions he made, can only think about the movie with great admiration.

The guy was talented. Singing, dancing - it's weird to see it in current context - you see a lot of Astaire and Chaplin in him. Pretty incredible. An absolute perfectionist.

It's also cool to watch the people around him - he surrounded himself with very talented people. The dancers, musicians, singers. I don't know who the main producer of the concert is, but it's interesting to watch him direct MJ - always done with great finesse (can't piss off the boss too much). The movie director also did a great job - he and his editor captured something that will be admired for a long time.

Put aside any preconceived notions and check this out. This concert would have been a huge and very unique event. A game changer for the music industry. A damn good movie.
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I haven't seen this attempt to make some money out of his death but I don't understand.

He was going to mime for the whole show apart from 10 minutes, how can that possibly be incredible?

He was going to cheat his fans which is better than fucking their children but still not great behaviour.

Comment

• High Life Man
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

I don't know anything about him doing "mime".

I guess that was my whole point - take the time to watch it. It's a very cool movie and well done.

Yeah, the guy was a perv, but there's no denying his talent.

The other thing that gets me is that for being 50 and all of his "ailments", he was in damn good shape. I think this was going to bring him back to the top.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

How did the Aussie chick sound ???
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He was very healthy right up to the point he dropped dead.

I wouldn't want you as my doctor.

I have heard that the film is well done but I'm afraid I'm a bit cynical that the audience is maybe being manipulated by it.

Many reports over here before he played were saying that he was actually only contracted to perform/sing for 13 minutes a show.

'I'm better off dead. I'm done': How Michael Jackson predicted his death six months ago | Mail Online

The financial details of the O2 concerts are still murky, though various sources have revealed that Jackson was paid as much as £10million in advance, most of which went to the middlemen. But Jackson could have received as much as £100million had the concerts gone ahead.

It is worth noting that the O2 Arena has the most sophisticated lip synching technology in the world – a particular attraction for a singer who can no longer sing. Had, by some miracle, the concerts gone ahead, Jackson’s personal contribution could have been limited to just 13 minutes for each performance. The rest was to have been choreography and lights.

‘We knew it was a disaster waiting to happen,’ said one aide. ‘I don’t think anybody predicted it would actually kill him but nobody believed he would end up performing.’

Their doubts were underscored when Jackson collapsed during only his second rehearsal.
          Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley

Hidden life: It was 'clear Michael Jackson was gay' but he married twice, firstly to Lisa Marie Presley, above

‘Collapse might be overstating it,’ said the aide. ‘He needed medical attention and couldn’t go on. I’m not sure what caused it.’

Meanwhile, everybody around him noticed that Jackson had lost an astonishing amount of weight in recent months. His medical team even believed he was anorexic.

‘He goes days at a time hardly eating a thing and at one point his doctor was asking people if he had been throwing up after meals,’ one staff member told me in May.

‘He suspected bulimia but when we said he hardly eats any meals, the doc thought it was probably anorexia. He seemed alarmed and at one point said, 'People die from that all the time. You’ve got to get him to eat.'’

Indeed, one known consequence of anorexia is cardiac arrest.

After spotting him leave one rehearsal, Fox News reported that ‘Michael Jackson’s skeletal physique is so bad that he might not be able to moonwalk any more’.

On May 20 this year, AEG suddenly announced that the first London shows had been delayed for five days while the remainder had been pushed back until March 2010. At the time, they denied that the postponements were health-related, explaining that they needed more time to mount the technically complex production, though scepticism immediately erupted. It was well placed.

Behind the scenes, Jackson was in rapid decline. According to a member of his staff, he was ‘terrified’ at the prospect of the London concerts.

‘He wasn’t eating, he wasn’t sleeping and, when he did sleep, he had nightmares that he was going to be murdered. He was deeply worried that he was going to disappoint his fans. He even said something that made me briefly think he was suicidal. He said he thought he’d die before doing the London concerts.
          As I understand it the film doesn't represent reality at all...

Comment

• High Life Man
            Commando
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            How did the Aussie chick sound ???
            She sounds great. I didn't know much about her until I Googled her. Unfortunately, I have to listen to a lot of Sirius Hits 1 and didn't realize she has a popular tune - she is way more talented than that piece of shit song.

Sesh, if you get a chance, just watch it. I wasn't going to either - until my buddy, who got drug to the movie by his wife, told me to watch. He's one of the most skeptical people I know.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'll have a look when it reaches cable. I do feel a bit awkward about giving a big opinion on something that I haven't even seen but it just sounds so far fetched...

Comment

• High Life Man
                Commando
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                I'll have a look when it reaches cable. I do feel a bit awkward about giving a big opinion on something that I haven't even seen but it just sounds so far fetched...

It changed my mind. About the movie anyway - I thought it was going to suck.

Then again, I remember waiting in line at Epcot to see Captain EO when I was 8 or 9. I wonder how that holds up these days.

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I haven't seen this attempt to make some money out of his death but I don't understand.

He was going to mime for the whole show apart from 10 minutes, how can that possibly be incredible?

He was going to cheat his fans which is better than fucking their children but still not great behaviour.
                  End of last year Pink sold out 30 shows in Australia :eek:
                  Apparently she sang through every upsidedown twirl and
                  run/dance she did...

Poor old Britney tries to follow up with her circus tour
                  and fans start complaining, cos she aint singing, and
                  the professional dancers were hiding the fact that she
                  cant dance like she once did....

Tour flopped, government want to bring in a law stating
                  that performers must declare if its miming or a live performance.
                  After all, they charge for a live performance.

MJ would have impressed the last intestinal nugget out of my body
                  if he had done his traditional dancing and sang live at the same
                  time.

Whats the difference to MJ or Britney just getting up there
                  and dancing along to a record ? If they didnt have to concentrate
                  on flapping their mouth with nothing coming out of it, maybe
                  at the very least we would get a good dance show ??

If pop dancing floats your boat ?
                  Last edited by Panamark; 02-08-2010, 03:57 AM.
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by High Life Man
                    It changed my mind. About the movie anyway - I thought it was going to suck.

Then again, I remember waiting in line at Epcot to see Captain EO when I was 8 or 9. I wonder how that holds up these days.
                    Epcott is cool, was there 2 years ago...
                    Cant remember Capt EO ??

Fookin great laser show at night.

Also, was that where mission space ride is.......
                    Far out, that ride fucks you for life....

(This from a roller coaster junkie)
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Is it not the Wolfgang of the Disney parks?

I wandered around it one day pre-kids and it didn't seem that exciting, never bothered going back.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'll have a look when it reaches cable.
                        i thought about renting it for a buck from the Redbox, but i don't know if i care enough about Michael Jackson's kids to spend the money on it.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm guessing there will be a big line of people that get paid before its kids see any of your $

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Is it not the Wolfgang of the Disney parks?

I wandered around it one day pre-kids and it didn't seem that exciting, never bothered going back.
                            It's more of an adult oriented park. You can "visit" different countries, so to speak. The best time to be had is in Germany, while the best food is in Mexico. And of course, the only worthwhile drinking establishment is in the U.K.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
                              Banned
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by High Life Man
                              Wow.

Watched "This Is It" and, despite loathing MJ for certain decisions he made, can only think about the movie with great admiration.

The guy was talented. Singing, dancing - it's weird to see it in current context - you see a lot of Astaire and Chaplin in him. Pretty incredible. An absolute perfectionist.

It's also cool to watch the people around him - he surrounded himself with very talented people. The dancers, musicians, singers. I don't know who the main producer of the concert is, but it's interesting to watch him direct MJ - always done with great finesse (can't piss off the boss too much). The movie director also did a great job - he and his editor captured something that will be admired for a long time.

Put aside any preconceived notions and check this out. This concert would have been a huge and very unique event. A game changer for the music industry. A damn good movie.
                              Dude, it's A FILM.

Of course it's gonna paint a perfect Michael Jackson, a perfect concert, a perfect rehearsal...

See, the thing about films is they have to tell you a story with beginning, middle & A CLIMACTIC END.

It has to make sense & it has to make you feel like you're really enjoyed the time you spent watching it.

To achieve that effect, certain things must be painted under certain romantic lights... it will never be REAL.

Even in supposedly realistic films, what happens in them is a highly romanticized version of reality.

Please tell me you can distinguish the two.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

Working...