PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern says radio days 'numbered'

Sarge
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&ncid=1896&e=5&u=/nm/20040602/us_nm/media_viacom_stern_dc

Shock Jock Stern Laments Karmazin's Viacom Exit

Tue Jun 1, 8:51 PM ET Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Shock jock Howard Stern, given to frequent on-air fits of desperation and rage, said on Tuesday his radio days are "really numbered" with the abrupt resignation of his chief benefactor, Mel Karmazin, as president of Viacom Inc.

Reuters Photo

"He's my backup here," Stern lamented as he opened his nationally syndicated morning show lamenting the news that Karmazin, for whom Stern has worked for 18 years, was stepping down as Viacom president and chief operating officer. "This is definitely the nail in my coffin."

But a key executive at Viacom, newly named co-president Leslie Moonves, told reporters that he would do his best to keep Stern and other top radio talent.

Stern's radio show, syndicated by Viacom-owned Infinity Broadcasting, is currently carried on about 30 radio stations around the country.

It was Karmazin who rescued Stern's career by hiring him in the mid-1980s after the ribald radio host was fired by WNBC in New York and helped transform his show into a national broadcast sensation.

"If NBC was a concentration camp, then Mel was my Schindler," Stern told listeners, alluding to the German war profiteer who saved more than 1,100 Jews from the Nazis by employing them in his factory.

The man who brought "Lesbian Dial-a-Date" and "Stripper Jeopardy!" to radio also credits Karmazin with steadfastly defending his show against periodic attacks from federal regulators.

Even as Stern's show was dumped from six Clear Channel Communications stations earlier this year and Karmazin himself vowed to crack down on indecency, Stern was permitted to keep his program intact, though he has complained bitterly about more frequent bleeping of content.

It was hardly the first time that Stern has taken to the airwaves to forecast his own demise. The radio host has made similar gloom-and-doom statements in the midst of tough contract negotiations and during past feuds with the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites).

Stern's agent, Don Buchwald, declined to comment on the current situation except to say, "Mel's been a loyal supporter for Howard for many years."

Stern said he first learned of Karmazin's departure from a voice message left by CBS Chairman and Chief Executive Leslie Moonves, who was named to the additional posts of co-president and co-COO of Viacom.

On his show last week, Stern predicted that Karmazin would leave Viacom, adding he would leave Infinity if Karmazin quit.

On Tuesday's show, he seemed to soften his stance, saying he was contractually bound to remain at Infinity for now.

Moonves told reporters one of his first tasks will be to patch up relationships with Stern and other Infinity talent. (Additional reporting by Kenneth Li and Brendan Intindola in New York)

Sarge
06-02-2004, 11:40 AM
that guy has lost a step but he is still the best in the biz.
They are driving him out of business...

Warham
06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Howard's ok. He's taking the heat for all dj's out there right now.

alexpgrimes
06-02-2004, 12:37 PM
He'll go to satelitte radio soon enough. Then we can enjoy him and all the profanity an uncensored show would bring.

Mezro
06-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
that guy has lost a step but he is still the best in the biz.
They are driving him out of business...

The only reason Howard ever lost a step was from the constant pressure of others trying to censor him.

This guy has done so much for radio, comedy and pushing the boundaries of free speech that entertainers everywhere should kiss his fucking ass raw.

Mezro..i'm a huge stern fan and hope he can do it all his own way soon

lucky wilbury
06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
howard lost his step 10 years ago when he was still relivent. it had nothing to do with the censors. doing the same act that got you to the top in the 80's is old in the 90's even more so now. you can't even relate to howard now. before he could bitch about his wife and his kids and everyone could relate to it now he doesn't bitch about his private life. i mean come on people for years he used to say how he would have all these wild partis and hook up with all these guest etc etc and now he has the chance and he doesn't. he also just isn't funny in general.

Mezro
06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
howard lost his step 10 years ago when he was still relivent. it had nothing to do with the censors. doing the same act that got you to the top in the 80's is old in the 90's even more so now.

If there were no censors he would have taken his career to an entirely different level. Hard to reinvent the wheel when people keep pulling it out from under you.

Hey, if Stern doesn't pop your bag then you can always tune into Rush or Imus. It's not as if those guys are doing the same tired act that got them to the top;)

Mezro..not jolly and certainly not a dwarf

lucky wilbury
06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
i don't listen to either one of them. i was a howard fan from way back in the day starting in the 80's when he was on nbc. followed him through the moved to mornings the channel 9 tv show to his first e show to the second e show and on and on. its just howards lost his touch with everyone. he used to go on and on about how bad traffic was and everyone could relate to it because they would be stuck in traffic. or his rivalry with other dj's i other markets. now if he doesn't like anyone he says he'll have them fired. when i mean relivent i mean being able to to relate to it. howard became to big for his own good.

Mezro
06-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
i don't listen to either one of them. i was a howard fan from way back in the day starting in the 80's when he was on nbc. followed him through the moved to mornings the channel 9 tv

His feud against the Philly Zoo Keeper was pretty damn classic.

I do miss his Channel 9 show; good memories and some shit that left my then young mind twisted into putty.

Mezro..fuck the FCC, fuck 'em, fuck 'em!

David Lee Rocks
06-03-2004, 12:44 PM
I love Howard!! Its a shame that hes being harrased by the FCC. and Clear Channel sucks!