X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain

Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality. The findings hint at the roots of spiritual and religious attitudes, the researchers say.

The study, published in the Feb. 11 issue of the journal Neuron, involves a personality trait called self-transcendence, which is a somewhat vague measure of spiritual feeling, thinking, and behaviors. Self-transcendence "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole," the researchers explain.

Before and after surgery, the scientists surveyed patients who had brain tumors removed. The surveys generate self-transcendence scores.

Selective damage to the left and right posterior parietal regions of the brain induced a specific increase in self-transcendence, or ST, the surveys showed.

"Our symptom-lesion mapping study is the first demonstration of a causative link between brain functioning and ST," said Dr. Cosimo Urgesi from the University of Udine in Italy. "Damage to posterior parietal areas induced unusually fast changes of a stable personality dimension related to transcendental self-referential awareness. Thus, dysfunctional parietal neural activity may underpin altered spiritual and religious attitudes and behaviors."
    Previous neuroimaging studies had linked activity within a large network in the brain that connects the frontal, parietal, and temporal cortexes with spiritual experiences, "but information on the causative link between such a network and spirituality is lacking," explains lead study author, Urgesi said.

One study, reported in 2008, suggested that the brain's right parietal lobe defines "Me," and people with less active Me-Definers are more likely to lead spiritual lives.

Rest here
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality.
    So to get closer to God, we have to have brain damage
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Suddenly, all those Born Again Christians seem different...
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
        Not really... it does confirm what goes through your own mind when you listen to them speak, though.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

And we wonder why the world is so fucked up....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
            Not really... it does confirm what goes through your own mind when you listen to them speak, though.

Something about 10-pound mallets (and the possible jailtime afterwards) or duct tape...
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

I hear Charlie Brown's teacher's voice........

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUyLwXhqlWU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

Something about 10-pound mallets (and the possible jailtime afterwards) or duct tape...
                Well... I meant thinking "wot a retard!", but yours is good too.

Some say a little extreme, but not more so than the stupidity of those people...

Comment

• thome
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Mar 2005

HOLY DAIN BRAMMAGE EPIPANY BATMAN!!

If this is true, I must be Jesus!

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Although it was a study about spirituality and I don't lump religion in with a spiritual awareness but you do get the feeling you have to be incredibly naive or gullible to believe in organized religion.

On a side track here.... autistic people who never play an instrument, pick it up and are virtuosos, is fascinating....almost like what they say about losing a sense...your other senses pick up the slack......except Ace's Rain Man like affinity for dates and times that's just plain annoying.

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by thome
                      HOLY DAIN BRAMMAGE EPIPANY BATMAN!!

If this is true, I must be Jesus!
                      No argument here.......

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                        Well... I meant thinking "wot a retard!", but yours is good too.
                        That's the first few minutes... The sledgehammer bit pops in 30 seconds later...

Comment

• ace diamond
                          Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                          So to get closer to God, we have to have brain damage

but i am so very anti-religion..........guess i'm the exception to that rule.
                          Last edited by ace diamond; 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM.
                          Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                          When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                          "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• ace diamond
                            Full Member Status

• Sep 2004

i just love it when science vindicates me.

well, it just confirms my standpoint that christians are fucking retarded.
                            only a complete retard could believe in that nonsense anyway, regardless of the fact that science and history have proven most of it to be utter bullshit.
                            but hey, they don't let something like the truth get in their way.....
                            Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                            When Hagar speaks, I want to cut off my ears and send them to Bristol Palin.
                            "It's like trying to fit a mouse fart into a sardine can with a shoe horn"-Ace Diamond

Comment

• MAX
                              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ace diamond
                              but i am so very anti-religion..........guess i'm the exception to that rule.
                              I thought you worshipped Satan?
                              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...