X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Full Metal Jacket

This movie made me think of Oliver’s Stone’s Platoon, a film that presented the Vietnam War as America’s wild west shoot out between deluded righteousness and human atrocity. Then, came John Irving’s Hamburger Hill where Viet Nam was nothing but a killing ground all of the American small town virtues transported straight into the depths of hell itself. Now here comes Kubrick and his definitive statement, who, in two extremely different films, his brilliant Paths Of Glory (1958) and Dr Strangelove (1964) boldly animated the [his] argument that war is pretty much fucking stupid.

Seeing this movie for the first time last night, I might not have expected Full Metal Jacket to present me a novel argument against war, but for fuck’s sake, I was looking to Stanley Kubrick, one of film’s greatest directors, to give me that argument a fresh set of images, a fresh story to grip the fucking imagination and fuel my moral nerves. What a major disappointment. Just like every other ‘Nam movie that was the hype of the 80’s, Full Metal Jacket portrays the war as an American tragedy, a farce of self-deception which irredeemably tainted the American survivors with a degree of brutalized guilt. 58.000 US dead (estimated) and nearly two million Vietnamese tells me that the war was less then an occasion of American hand-wringing than an absolute disaster for Vietnam.

I was surprised, however, that the disproportionally large numbers of blacks in the US Army were more likely to be represented by a token snatch of Motown on the soundtrack than by any substantial role – and omission of which the “intellectual” Full Metal Jacket is more guilty, oddly enough, than “populist” Platoon ever could hope to be. Kubrick’s ‘Nam then, is a war where white men fuck up royal against semi-invisible slope-eyed hordes armed only with an AK-47, a handful of rice and one fuck of an fanatical death wish (can you say Fallujah?) So is this Kubrick’s point? That how could the world’s richest, most technologically advanced super power have lost? Probably because its level of self-belief was either too hare-brained (“Inside every gook there’s a good American trying to get out!” Barks a typical brass-hat officer) or by instilling a training program which crassly ill-prepared recruits (draftees) for what terror war is really like.

Okay, so this movie does excel in the first-half in which Kubrick gives us a grainy documentary-style account of the US Marine training from the first haircut to the final production of a honed, unquestioning killing machine in green fatigues – or at least that’s Kubrick’s ideal. As the film is being conducted by the manic Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (what an outstanding performance from genuine Viet Vet Ralph Lee Emery) this training fails the marine in the filed of combat as surely as it flips out a hapless recruit, Private Pyle, in a grossly over-the-top scene straight out of Kubrick’s horror flick The Shining. Yes, for Kubrick, whose only contact with much of the outside world during the latter part of his career of being bound to his Hertfordshire estate, can only tell us that war is weird.

The second-half of this film, set in 1968’s Battle Of Hue, then switches nerviness from an effective pseudo-TV newscast with scenes of stylized spookiness which does nothing more then merely announce that Kubrick can’t settle on a persuasively consistent tone for his audience. Yes, Kubrick’s Viet Nam is a tense, wasteful, and horrible one but I’m not so fooled with easy scripted heroes to sugar the bitter pill. Ultimately, Full Metal Jacket told me nothing new – nor does it tell me nothing old with the inventiveness, intelligence and conviction I had a right to expect.
  • LEFTY is Gar's Bitch
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2010

i love this movie.robin williams is goddam funny in this one.
    whats a gook?

Comment

• Doctor Dude
      Groupie
      • Oct 2009

Without trying to get into too deep detail and analysis on the subject, of the three films you mentioned I find Hamburger Hill to be the most honest and powerful.

Full Metal Jacket is a great comedy film, if you exclude everything after Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann is killed. I found some of the writing and acting to be uneven, and the narration was especially annoying.

As far as Platoon goes..... I thought it sucked donkey balls.

Kristy, have you seen all three films?
      Last edited by Doctor Dude; 02-16-2010, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Lefty, a gook is one of those bundles of rice you can buy at the Chinese food store.
        Just go to your nearest Chinese food joint and tell them you want to buy a gook, but be sure to tell them you want extra kimche on it.

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Kristy, your intellect is superior. Men should worship the ground you walk on and lick your boots.

Have you ever read the story about how Ralph Emery got the part?

He was hired as an advisor, and Kubrick supposedly was watching videotape of him with some recruits. After witnessing Emery curse for like 12 minutes straight without stopping or repeating himself, Kubrick decided Emery was the right man for the job.

Comment

• lesfunk
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Apocalypse Now Rules over them all. Patton is also a magnificent war film.
            I never understood the fawning over Platoon. Platoon, like all Oliver Stone films, is way overrated.
            I enjoyed Full Metal Jacket even if Kristy did not.
            http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• BITEYOASS
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Boo-fuckin-hoo Kristy! Hell, when I was in the USMC, EVERYBODY loved that movie! About half of the unit had a DVD of "Full Metal Jacket"! So cry me a fuckin river about your racism bullshit. To me, it was the best depiction of the Vietnam war and boot camp that I've ever seen.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                Kristy, your intellect is superior. Men should worship the ground you walk on and lick your boots.

Have you ever read the story about how Ralph Emery got the part?

He was hired as an advisor, and Kubrick supposedly was watching videotape of him with some recruits. After witnessing Emery curse for like 12 minutes straight without stopping or repeating himself, Kubrick decided Emery was the right man for the job.

Kubrick told stories in interviews about how natural and spontaneous Emery was, and how that induced Kubrick to just let Emery loose and let him verbally riff and improvise once shooting began.

Emery, in character, would yell off-the-cuff things things like, "Lawrence!? I don't like the name Lawrence! That's a name for faggots and sailors!!" Kubrick later said that Emery made up about 50% of what ended up in the film on the spot as cameras were rolling.

Racist under/overtones in the movie? I suppose. Chalk a certain amount of that up to the context of the times the film was made, and the context of the Vietnam War itself. No more egregious than latter-day productions of fictionally-based films dealing with pre-1950s/1960s timeframes that utilize such cinematic conventions as the imaginary black friend or the white bigot with the heart of gold. Censoring or inventing past attitudes might make people feel more hunky-dory in the darkness of the cinema while the film is rolling...

I mean, would it have been equally "bad" for Kubrick to have pretended that racism wasn't a factor in Vietnam, or that black people didn't listen to Motown back then, or that the use of the word ****** (vile as that word is) didn't happen among soldiers back then? Whitewashing history might be politically correct, but not necessarily accurate.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It was made nearly 25 years ago.

The first half to me is so much better than the second. Never noticed any race thing going on. There is a fashion now to go back and wonder why there weren't enough black people in films.

I think part of it is that actors in Hollywood movies are drawn from the US, UK and Canada. Without looking it up I think the demographic for that would be something like only 1 in 8 black people back in the 80s?

Nowadays we get used in advertising and other media for it to be closer to 50-50 so these films look slightly odd.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Reasonable minds may differ. I always liked this movie.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Dan
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Sweet As Movie.
                      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Never get off the fucking boat!

Apocalypse Now (the expanded version) is my fave Vietnam era war movie of all time.
                        Though periodically when talking to my best friend on the phone, I am apt to shout suddenly "MAU! NU MAU!" at him (watch The Deer Hunter to catch the reference).

Patton is a kickass film, but what could one expect when the film is about the greatest military commander of the 20th century?

I named my Irish Setter General George Of Ardee back in 1973, in honor of Patton.

I always admired motherfuckers like him who kicked total fucking ass, while bending or ignoring the rules to get the fucking job done spectacularly!

My other two main childhood heroes were fictional, James T. Kirk and Dirty Harry Callahan, for the very same reason. They would totally annihilate anyone who stood in their way as they strove to accomplish their mission. Then, after the dust had settled, and all the shouting was over, they would get slapped on the wrist by their bosses, while at the same time being given the greatest commendations possible for saving the galaxy or the precinct or whatever.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Perhaps I have to go back and re-watch this film 3-4 times to see what Kubrick was trying to say besides having a anti-war stance throughout most of the movie. Emery's rendition of Sgt Hartman was outstanding and for me he was the only memorable character (I loved and hated him at the same time) yet Kubrick has him killed... And I do think there were some racist overtones whether Kubrick purposefully put that there for a subtle dramatic effect only confused me more as I watched it. Like I said, I'll go back and re-watch it again and see if I have a different angle on the film.

As for the rest of the 'Nam films of the 80's 'Hamburger Hill' seemed to be the most realistic although you can tell it was shot with a small budget and forgettable actors.
                          Last edited by Kristy; 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Patton is a kickass film, but what could one expect when the film is about the greatest military commander of the 20th century?
                            The writing in that movie alone was sheer genius.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Perhaps I have to go back and re-watch this film 3-4 times to see what Kubrick was trying to say besides having a anti-war stance throughout most of the movie.
                              I think at the end when he shoots the girl he is killing himself and representing the death of the innocence of his generation.

Or some shit...

Comment

Working...