PDA

View Full Version : More people believe Elvis is alive than believe the Stimulus created jobs

BigBadBrian
02-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Poll: 6% of Americans believe "stimulus" created jobs, 7% believe Elvis is alive | United Liberty | Free Market - Individual Liberty - Limited Government (http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/5051-poll-6-of-americans-believe-stimulus-created-jobs-7-believe-elvis-is-alive)

Main Content
Elvis vs. the stimulus - Glenn Thrush: Elvis vs. the stimulusFebruary 16, 2010
Categories:Stimulus.Elvis vs. the stimulus
From Michael Steel, John Boehner's spokesman:

"Folks, for the sake of comparison, when you’re reading about the White House’s new 'stimulus' report, please bear in mind that more Americans believe that Elvis Presley is still alive than that the 'stimulus' has created jobs.

• A recent NYT/CBS News poll (#19) reported only 6 percent of Americans believe the stimulus has created jobs.
• Meanwhile, when CBS News polled Americans in 2002 on the 25th anniversary of his death, 7 percent thought Elvis was still alive."

Chris Harris, from Media Matters Action Network, shoots back:

"Folks, despite misinformation from the right, the CBO says the Recovery Act has created up to 2.4 million American jobs. CBO: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Has Created up to 2.4 Million American Jobs. According to CNN: 'The Congressional Budget Office attributes between 800,000 to 2.4 million jobs and 1.2 to 3.1 percentage points of economic growth to stimulus.' [CNN, 1/13/10]."

BigBadBrian
02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
"Folks, despite misinformation from the right, the CBO says the Recovery Act has created up to 2.4 million American jobs. CBO: The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Has Created up to 2.4 Million American Jobs."

I wonder if that includes the 2.2 million jobs lost in the first six months of Barry's presidency? :tongue0011:

kwame k
02-20-2010, 10:33 AM
So tell me what did Barry do to make those jobs go away?

I'm just glad it had nothing to do with Bush....phew:umm:

knuckleboner
02-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I wonder if that includes the 2.2 million jobs lost in the first six months of Barry's presidency? :tongue0011:

of course it does.

nobody argued that the second that administration took power everthing would be perfect. in fact, the moment he took office, it was already the worst recession in a generation.

the job losses in january (which was mostly george bush's month) were 741,000. which was an escalation from 600,000+ the month before. and 500,000+ the month before that. in fact, job losses steadily increased every month throughout 2008. and then with 2 exceptions declined every month that obama has been in office.

so while i can't credit the republicans with good leadership, i can credit them with good messaging. they've done a great job of convincing people that, despite the facts, democrats are the bad guys...

FORD
02-20-2010, 10:34 AM
And BTW, Elvis IS alive.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dAO3J5QJ9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dAO3J5QJ9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Panamark
02-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Elvis's body may have stopped, but his soul is still kickin ass..
He aint dead, no way ! Wish I could/can leave an imprint like that !

chefcraig
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Both Elvis and J.F.K. are still alive. Here's the real story.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7Qo74_L3vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7Qo74_L3vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BigBadBrian
02-20-2010, 12:32 PM
of course it does.

nobody argued that the second that administration took power everthing would be perfect. in fact, the moment he took office, it was already the worst recession in a generation.

the job losses in january (which was mostly george bush's month) were 741,000. which was an escalation from 600,000+ the month before. and 500,000+ the month before that. in fact, job losses steadily increased every month throughout 2008. and then with 2 exceptions declined every month that obama has been in office.

I guess Obama is a miracle worker and make that happen while unemployment still hovers around 10%. Those figures don't even include those workers so discouraged they've quit looking for work altogether. It also doesn't include such entities as school systems that used some of that stimulus money to make payroll. Those systems will be laying off teachers and have done nothing but put off the inevitable...unless Uncle Sam offers to bail them out once again.

By the way, what do you think of the Governor's budget?

bueno bob
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
figures don't even include those workers so discouraged they've quit looking for work altogether.

I love how this is the current administration's fault. "WAAAH!!! I can't find a job! Well, I guess I'll just quit applying for jobs and blame the government while I sit at home and watch Jerry Springer and blame Obama for it all..."

What kind of fucking attitude is that? Typical defeatist bullshit, sit on your ass and blame somebody else for your problems. Newsflash - you can't get a job if you don't apply for one, and frankly, you can ALWAYS find work doing something, even if it's not something you necessarily want.

Just another excuse for lazy ass Republicans to start throwing blame around without actually doing anything to improve their situation, I guess. Anybody who can't find a job because they're "discouraged" and "quit looking for one" deserves their unemployment...but they don't deserve a finger to point at other people.

BigBadBrian
02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I love how this is the current administration's fault. "WAAAH!!! I can't find a job! Well, I guess I'll just quit applying for jobs and blame the government while I sit at home and watch Jerry Springer and blame Obama for it all..."

What kind of fucking attitude is that? Typical defeatist bullshit, sit on your ass and blame somebody else for your problems. Newsflash - you can't get a job if you don't apply for one, and frankly, you can ALWAYS find work doing something, even if it's not something you necessarily want.

Just another excuse for lazy ass Republicans to start throwing blame around without actually doing anything to improve their situation, I guess. Anybody who can't find a job because they're "discouraged" and "quit looking for one" deserves their unemployment...but they don't deserve a finger to point at other people.

In no place did I mention the political party of those that have given up. I think you'd be hard pressed to prove they are Republican. Besides, most are probably Democrat.

Barry is responsible for the worst employment crisis in a generation!

Suck that up, buttwipe!

sadaist
02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Both Elvis and J.F.K. are still alive. Here's the real story.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7Qo74_L3vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7Qo74_L3vo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL. Bruce Campbell is the best. THE BEST!

sadaist
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
How many jobs were lost while these guys were consumed with passing health care legislation? I think that's what pissed a lot of people off that may have otherwise agreed with some reform. During a terrible recession, instead of staying focused on jobs, they were pushing their own agendas. And in January Obama said "Our primary focus for 2010 is going to be jobs". That's terrific, but a year tardy.

LoungeMachine
02-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Suck that up, buttwipe!

I see bb is really getting under your skin...

Another legend bites the dust...... :D

:gulp:

knuckleboner
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I guess Obama is a miracle worker and make that happen while unemployment still hovers around 10%. Those figures don't even include those workers so discouraged they've quit looking for work altogether. It also doesn't include such entities as school systems that used some of that stimulus money to make payroll. Those systems will be laying off teachers and have done nothing but put off the inevitable...unless Uncle Sam offers to bail them out once again.

again, the unemployment number is not as important in judging the stimulus' effect as the difference in what it would've otherwise been. and there's no question that it would've been higher had there been no stimulus.

and yes, the teachers are a good point. but here's the concept: the diving housing market and increasing unemployment drove down most state and local revenues to the point that they would've been forced to lay off hundreds of thousands of teachers. now, you're right, if state and local revenues don't recover, and if the feds don't come up with additional funds, then the layoffs were just delayed. on the other hand, if the recession ends (which it officially did), and if employment and housing starts to recover (which it slowly is) then it's possible that by the time the stimulus funding ends next year that state and local revenues will have recovered enough to once again fund the teachers (and police officers) and not lay them off.

as for mcdonnell's budget, i'm not a huge fan of his k-12 cuts. too much. however, it's not an easy budget, no matter what. while a little bit of revenue increases might be necessary (definitely gas tax), you cannot cover that budget hole with taxes. so cuts have to be made. and there's not a lot of fat around to cut, so it's going to be tough.

so, he made a sort of good first effort, but i hope the general assembly finds a way to mitigage the hit to education and he goes along with it.

chefcraig
02-20-2010, 04:15 PM
again, the unemployment number is not as important in judging the stimulus' effect as the difference in what it would've otherwise been. and there's no question that it would've been higher had there been no stimulus.

and yes, the teachers are a good point. but here's the concept: the diving housing market and increasing unemployment drove down most state and local revenues to the point that they would've been forced to lay off hundreds of thousands of teachers. now, you're right, if state and local revenues don't recover, and if the feds don't come up with additional funds, then the layoffs were just delayed. on the other hand, if the recession ends (which it officially did), and if employment and housing starts to recover (which it slowly is) then it's possible that by the time the stimulus funding ends next year that state and local revenues will have recovered enough to once again fund the teachers (and police officers) and not lay them off.

Absolutely spot on, as it describes precisely what is taking place in my area, and most assuredly others as well. The sticking point in all of this is how those stimulus funds were dispersed in the first place. I've read over the various allotments earmarked for my region and townships, and to be quite honest I can barely make heads or tails of parts of it. Certain aspects appear to have been written in that peculiar legalese that only lawyers and code-breakers from WWII can seem to penetrate. So the anticipated growth and reform is predicated on some funds that may or may not be headed toward a worthwhile destination to begin with. And when you factor in the greed and generally self-serving nature of many of the quasi-corrupt legislators in my area, that is a pretty frightening gamble to take.

LoungeMachine
02-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I admire chef and kb, and applaud their posts......

But Jesus on a Triscuit it's Brie you're talkng to.....

Brie can only comprehend the following:

Obama = bad

World better under Repuke control

Evidence, facts, and strong arguments are kryptonite to him

sadaist
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
cuts have to be made. and there's not a lot of fat around to cut

Really? You should see all the crazy, worthless shit that is funded. $150,000 grant to study the effects of head on a glass of beer & how it affects carbonation lifespan. I made that one up, but it wouldn't surprise me if I were close with it. An example of a true one in CA recently. During some heavy rain we had. A couple dozen pelicans were being treated for being too wet. Apparently the heavy rains would not allow them to dry off enough to warm themselves up. They would be released back after about a week of being nursed back to full health.

There are thousands upon thousands of these small programs, grants, studies, foundations, etc...that are funded by tax dollars. Some good, most a waste of time. Yet when revenue drops they either raise taxes, or threaten to cut schools, police, firemen, etc... These should be the very last things that are cut. When normal people need to make cuts they list everything out and prioritize. "Well, gonna have to cancel the pool guy for a while", "We have to take our lunches to work". They don't immediately turn off the lights & water first.

Just look at this huge list here and with a glance see if anything stands out that you think could be trimmed just a touch. And every state has a list just as long and probably containing even more WTF type spending.

Info: List of US Federal Government Funding Programs (http://funding-programs.idilogic.aidpage.com/)

sadaist
02-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Fat?

Forestry on Indian Lands, $14,166,000 total funding

Administered by:
US Federal Government Agency (see all agencies)
Department of the Interior , Bureau of Indian Affairs
CFDA #: 15.035
Purpose of this program:

To maintain, protect, enhance, and develop Indian forest resources through the execution of forest management activities.

Info: Forestry on Indian Lands (FORESTRY, WOODLANDS) (http://forestry-on-indian-lands.idilogic.aidpage.com/forestry-on-indian-lands/)

Nitro Express
02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
All the stimulus did was keep the banks from failing so they could jack everyone's interest rates. It bought some time and avoided a catastrophic collapse of the economy but it also didn't solve the underlaying problems of the economy, it's just making the fat cats richer and allowing the middle class to shrivel and putting the load on them. I still can't figure out how the middle class is going to pay the taxes when the jobs are disapearing. If anything the bailout is using theft (fat cats stealing from the little cats) to throw us a bone to keep the illusion going a little longer.

Nitro Express
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
The politicians don't have a real solution so they will cook up some scapegoats and start more wars as a distraction. The bankers will fund both sides and take advantage of the unrest. Business as usual.

LoungeMachine
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Really? You should see all the crazy, worthless shit that is funded. $150,000 grant to study the effects of head on a glass of beer & how it affects carbonation lifespan.

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU QUESTION THE VALIDITY OF MY STUDIES

Seriously, you could trim ALL the "fat" you want, and it wouldnt add up to 1/10th of ONE useless Defense Contract

Nickdfresh
02-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Well, maybe if the asshole you voted for hadn't fucked the economy to hell, we wouldn't be in the boat, BigSpamBrianne...

The figures HAVE NEVER included workers so discouraged, nor those who are underemployed in shitty part time work...

bueno bob
02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
In no place did I mention the political party of those that have given up.

No, you just want to mention the fact that people "aren't looking for jobs" as a factor towards higher unemployment, and that in turn somehow being the administration's fault.

I think you'd be hard pressed to prove they are Republican. Besides, most are probably Democrat.

Doesn't matter if they're Republican or Democrat or Independent or Libertarian, stupid. They're lazy and that's it. And if you're going to GUESS that most are "probably" Democrat, you can either back that up or go sit and spin, buffoon.

WAAAAHHHH!!!!

Yeah, clown, it's all Obama's fault, sure...fucking ignorant, ain'tcha?

Suck that up, buttwipe!

Go blow your mother.

Nitro Express
02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, maybe if the asshole you voted for hadn't fucked the economy to hell, we wouldn't be in the boat, BigSpamBrianne...

The figures HAVE NEVER included workers so discouraged, nor those who are underemployed in shitty part time work...

The economy started getting fucked to hell during the Nixon Administration. It would have crashed and burned in the 1980's but the personal computer revolution bought another decade. We need to get off the fiat money, off of oil, but then the people who buy the politicians don't like getting off of oil.

GAR
02-21-2010, 05:41 AM
I guess Obama is a miracle worker and make that happen while unemployment still hovers around 10%.

Come to think of it: wasnt it Ronald Reagan who pulled the unemployed numbers down by magically adding the Federal column and the Military column over the unemployed column, bringing the then-8percent down to like six and a half percent unemployed.. then proudly announcing "hey, look at the good work we did here.."

GAR
02-21-2010, 05:43 AM
If you remove that 1.5 percent of the Federally and Military employed, for an old-school reality check you get over 11 percent unemployment today!

knuckleboner
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I admire chef and kb, and applaud their posts......

But Jesus on a Triscuit it's Brie you're talkng to.....

Brie can only comprehend the following:

Obama = bad

World better under Repuke control

Evidence, facts, and strong arguments are kryptonite to him

eh, for the most part, he's devil's advocate trying to get a rise out of people. but that said, i'm not just making the point for him, but for the rest of the home viewing audience...

knuckleboner
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Really? You should see all the crazy, worthless shit that is funded. $150,000 grant to study the effects of head on a glass of beer & how it affects carbonation lifespan. I made that one up, but it wouldn't surprise me if I were close with it. An example of a true one in CA recently. During some heavy rain we had. A couple dozen pelicans were being treated for being too wet. Apparently the heavy rains would not allow them to dry off enough to warm themselves up. They would be released back after about a week of being nursed back to full health.

There are thousands upon thousands of these small programs, grants, studies, foundations, etc...that are funded by tax dollars. Some good, most a waste of time. Yet when revenue drops they either raise taxes, or threaten to cut schools, police, firemen, etc... These should be the very last things that are cut. When normal people need to make cuts they list everything out and prioritize. "Well, gonna have to cancel the pool guy for a while", "We have to take our lunches to work". They don't immediately turn off the lights & water first.

Just look at this huge list here and with a glance see if anything stands out that you think could be trimmed just a touch. And every state has a list just as long and probably containing even more WTF type spending.

Info: List of US Federal Government Funding Programs (http://funding-programs.idilogic.aidpage.com/)

no budget (individuals' included) is 100% perfect. nor will they ever be. the concept is that when you have big disparities to try and find the best way to address them. yes, you should always try to be more efficient and cost-effective, and get rid of the unnecessary spending. but as lounge pointed out, it's not like these programs are the main problem. they're an important drop to address, but ultimately a drop in the budgetary bucket.

and in response to BBB's comment about the virginia budget i was saying that there wasn't a lot of fat. i've looked at the virginia budget quite a bit. there's not. is there a $10,000 worthless study here and there? maybe. but in terms of the state's $4.2 billion biennial budget, you could do the impossible and eliminate 100% of all unnecessary spending and still have billions to cut. because there's not a lot of fat, and there will have to be tough choices.

Angel
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM

:hee:Thanks for the good laugh first thing Sunday morning, B

FORD
02-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Funny how the Repukes talk shit about the Stimulus in Congress, and then praise it when they get back home to their districts.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncXY_p-R_w4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncXY_p-R_w4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kwame k
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
WASHINGTON – The economic stimulus law added between 1 million to 2.1 million workers to employment rolls by the end of last year, a new report released Tuesday by congressional economists said.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office study also said the $862 billion stimulus added between 1.5 to 3.5 percentage points to the growth of the economy in 2009. The controversial stimulus law combined tax breaks for individuals and businesses with lots of government spending.

The report reflects agreement among economists that the measure boosted the economy. But the wide range of estimates means it won't resolve the debate over how effective the stimulus has been.

The White House says the stimulus bill has created 2 million jobs and will add another 1.5 million this year as economic recovery continues to take hold.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100223/ap_on_go_co/us_stimulus_jobs)

The full report here (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/110xx/doc11044/02-23-ARRA.pdf)

Unchainme
02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
The hell is with BBB posting links from random Right wing blogs? My dads as conservative as he gets but at least he gets some of his info. from somewhat legit places.

at least start with some publication somewhat legit..like the Wall-Street Journal or something, something that has been run since the late 1800's..(urr...forgot Murdoch bought that up, damnit.)

kwame k
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
The hell is with BBB posting links from random Right wing blogs? My dads as conservative as he gets but at least he gets some of his info. from somewhat legit places.

at least start with some publication somewhat legit..like the Wall-Street Journal or something, something that has been run since the late 1800's..(urr...forgot Murdoch bought that up, damnit.)

It's all he has to justify the deep seated issues he can not face......not only did a black man get elected to the highest Office in the land but he's a Democrat, too :pullinghair:

ELVIS
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
WASHINGTON – The economic stimulus law added between 1 million to 2.1 million workers to employment rolls by the end of last year, a new report released Tuesday by congressional economists said.

That's not many at all no matter how good you pretend it looks...

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office

The what ??

The White House says the stimulus bill has created 2 million jobs and will add another 1.5 million this year as economic recovery continues to take hold.

WOO HOO!!!

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!!

Give us all a break...:umm:

jhale667
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
It's all he has to justify the deep seated issues he can not face......not only did a black man get elected to the highest Office in the land but he's a Democrat, too :pullinghair:

BINGO.

Sucks to be Brie these days...worse than it already did... :tongue0011:

ULTRAMAN VH
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM

He is not black, he is mulatto.
1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
So technically he is the 1st Mulatto to get elected to the highest office in the land. And yes he is a Democrat.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
So technically he is the 1st Mulatto to get elected to the highest office in the land. And yes he is a Democrat.

Then that should make you guys only feel half as bad :)

kwame k
02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
WOO HOO!!!

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!!!!

Give us all a break...:umm:

WTF, E.......the guy inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression....has made some forward progress and has stopped the bleeding.

Massive job creation takes more than a year, as a matter of fact, jobs usually are the last thing that rebounds, historically. So you know what, even though Congress and the President haven't done everything 100% right, they're better than the Party of No.....WTF have they done other than block everything to cripple the Democrats, so they can win some seats in Nov? All at they expense of the American People. They really do hate Americans, don't they.

Here's the full report again for the CBO, since you don't seem to know who they are....... http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/110xx/doc11044/02-23-ARRA.pdf

jhale667
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks for clearing that up...:rolleyes: But as we all know, that doesn't really matter to racists.

Hardrock69
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
It was announced yesterday that the stimulus plan DID create between 1 and 2.1 million jobs in only the final three months of 2009.

So people can believe what they want. If they choose to hide their head in their hands and scream "I'M NOT LISTENING!!! I'M NOT LISTENING!!!" that is their problem.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/02/cbo-says-stimulus-added-up-to-21-million-jobs-in-fourth-quarter-of-2009.html

The Obama administration's $787 billion stimulus bill created up to 2.1 million jobs during the final three months of last year, according to a new report from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

During the fourth quarter of 2009, the stimulus added “between 1.0 million and 2.1 million to the number of workers employed in the United States,” the CBO said.

The stimulus also boosted the country’s economic growth by 1.5 to 3.5 percent during the time period and lowered the nation’s unemployment rate by between 0.5 and 1.1 percentage points.

In the report, the CBO noted that economic growth in 2009 was worse than they had predicted at the time that the stimulus was enacted, but that was due to a weaker economy than originally expected, rather than any failings of the stimulus.

“Economic output and employment in 2009 were lower than CBO had projected at the time of enactment,” the CBO stated. “But in CBO’s judgment, that outcome reflects greater-than-projected weakness in the underlying economy rather than lower-than-expected effects” of the stimulus package.

The CBO also said that in the fourth quarter the stimulus package increased the number of full-time jobs by between 1.4 and 3 million compared to the number of jobs that would have existed without the package.

The effects of the stimulus bill are expected to increase as the year goes on, before falling off in 2011 and fading away by the end of 2012, the CBO noted. The non-partisan research office uses economic models to analyze the stimulus and estimate the program’s impact.

-- Matthew Jaffe

jhale667
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
It was announced yesterday that the stimulus plan DID create between 1 and 2.1 million jobs in only the final three months of 2009.

So people can believe what they want. If they choose to hide their head in their hands and scream "I'M NOT LISTENING!!! I'M NOT LISTENING!!!" that is their problem.

Yep, unfortunately that's the Republican plan - deny, deny, deny...:umm:

PETE'S BROTHER
02-24-2010, 05:32 PM

CBO Says Stimulus Added Up to 2.1 Million Jobs in Fourth Quarter of 2009 - Political Punch (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/02/cbo-says-stimulus-added-up-to-21-million-jobs-in-fourth-quarter-of-2009.html)

sure, but how many did we lose in those same three months?

PETE'S BROTHER
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
January job loss: Worst in 34 years - Feb. 6, 2009 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/06/news/economy/jobs_january/index.htm)

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Employers slashed another 598,000 jobs off of U.S. payrolls in January, taking the unemployment rate up to 7.6%, according to the latest government reading on the nation's battered labor market.

The latest job loss is the worst since December 1974, and brings job losses to 1.8 million in just the last three months, or half of the 3.6 million jobs that have been lost since the beginning of 2008.

The loss since November is the biggest 3-month drop since immediately after the end of World War II, when the defense industry was shutting down for conversion to civilian production.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
We all know the unemployment numbers don't take into account people who have given up looking for work and have exhausted their UI benefits or who have taken low paying part time work but......

We have created some jobs and are still losing jobs because of the Great Recession but it's a start.

To really kick start this economy and get us back to Pre-Bush prosperity, tough decisions need to be made and we need the help of the Repukes, too. Yes, I said it....

The Republicans need to step up and bring their ideas and revisions to the bills on the floor....support the good legislation and if it's bad offer their ideas to make it better. Bipartisan cooperation is the only way we will pull ourselves out of this mess.

This nonsense of small government and lower taxes is a fucking joke....the Republicans bloated our government and the Democrats reduced taxes for 95% of Americans. So stop using that tired rhetoric.

Yet to hear the mental midgets here talk....Taxes have gone up and government has swelled. The funny thing is more government agencies were created and staffed by Dubya than Obama. Yet this simple fact, Big Government, is getting blamed on what is happening now.

DHS added how many people and wasn't it's purpose to streamline agencies? The Patriot Act sucked how many billions of dollars away from helping Americans and basically/unconstitutionally was used to spy on American citizens. Two wars took trillions of dollars away from our crumbling infrastructure and we are how far behind developed nations? Here's a news flash Beckers, at some point taxes will be raised to pay for those wars. Put that in your Fiscal Conservative pipe and smoke it.

Another thing you mental midgets don't bring up is Bush started TARP....the only difference is, Bush's plan had no oversight and was free money to Wall Street.....Obama took away/reduced their bonuses until they paid it back with interest.....under Obama's plan they couldn't pay back the loans quick enough....had Bush's TARP stayed as is, the money would of never been paid back.

Oh, double digits unemployment is Obama's fault......bullshit, you fucking spoon fed, sucking at the dick, Rushies...those jobs were long gone and going away....way before Obama even stepped foot in Washington.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Bushbillboard.jpg not in the least.

jhale667
02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Bushbillboard.jpg

In a word.... NO. :mad:

knuckleboner
02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
sure, but how many did we lose in those same three months?

what's your point? the fact is that the recession, which began in 2007, and lasted throughout all of 2008 was still causing job losses the second obama took office. (significant job losses - 741,000 in january 2009).

so yes, if we saved 2 jobs but lost 4, it sucks for 2 people. but isn't it better than losing all 4?

or is the assumption that if we had continued to do nothing, that somehow, miraculously, the worst recession since the great depression would've instantaneously fixed itself, and all of the damage it caused in the preceeding 14 months?

kwame k
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, Greenspan's and Bernake's attitude towards the economy was laissez-faire and you see what that got us.

God help us if we actually put safe guards in place and regulate the industries that got in this mess.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
dupe post

Hardrock69
02-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Would the Retardlicans rather we create NO jobs and just let the country die?

That has always been their platform.....ruin the country while waving flags and screaming about how patriotic they are....

kwame k
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM

That has always been their platform.....ruin the country while waving flags and screaming about how patriotic they are....

Pretty much seems to be their goal all along.

LoungeMachine
02-24-2010, 08:43 PM

The RePukes have 2 mottos....

Government is broken [spoken right after they break it see also: FEMA]

And I want government made smaller....just small enough so we can drown it in the bathtub.

RePukes HATE America.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
The RePukes have 2 mottos....

Government is broken [spoken right after they break it see also: FEMA]

And I want government made smaller....just small enough so we can drown it in the bathtub.

RePukes HATE America.

Speaking of FEMA and Dubya hiring his unqualified buddy for that top spot......

FEMA didn’t do a heckuva job on its contracts under President Bush.

The disaster agency spent twice as much as it needed to for a building in Tennessee that smelled like sewage and had insects, roaches and bullet casings strewn over its floors, according to Department of Homeland Security Inspector General's report conducted by Foxx and Company.

The building was in such bad shape and so full of potentially harmful chemicals that one FEMA employee who ended up working there developed a rash that lasted for 3 months. A cleaning company told FEMA they'd need $1.2 million just to clean it up.

These problems and others — including wasting $3 million on Pedialyte that expired and buying mobile surgery units that were never used — were discovered in a damning investigation into an agency that has had its share of public relations problems since Hurricane Katrina. The report, dated Feb. 3, investigated contracts made under the Bush administration. It had not previously been made public.

Read more (DHS IG: Millions wasted by FEMA - Kasie Hunt - POLITICO.com):

Unchainme
02-24-2010, 08:57 PM

Don't know.

either way the country is fucked if you think about it.

Spend and try to create government jobs and then at the same owe billions of dollars to the chinese as we spend our way into further debt.

I'm all for creating jobs, but there has to be a way to do in which we don't dig ourselves further and further into debt.

We need to cut spending BAD. period. stick to the bare essentials until we can get out of this mess.

Unchainme
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, Greenspan's and Bernake's attitude towards the economy was laissez-faire and you see what that got us.

God help us if we actually put safe guards in place and regulate the industries that got in this mess.

http://theonesilove.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/housing-market-bl.jpg

the housing market should have been regulated better, of course.

kwame k
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I know all too well about that one .....