PDA

View Full Version : How come Hendrix can have a new album but

dazzlindino
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Jeez for beyond stooopid, Hendrix has a new album coming out, after being dead for nearly 40 years, but our Beloved Van Halen cant do squat....WTF Edwardo.......:pullinghair:
Maybe they are waiting for 2014...so they can celebrate the 30 year aniversary of releasing a real album...........:(

Ralphy Lee Fox
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Hendrix has a new album coming out?
Can't wait to catch him live on tour supporting the album!!!!!

78/84 guy
03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
The can Hendrix put all of his music in must not of had the cover rusted on it !! Ed wasn't smart enough to rust proof his can of ten albums he says he has.

Satan
03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Hendrix has a new album coming out?
Can't wait to catch him live on tour supporting the album!!!!!

Yeah, he'll be touring. Just not up there on Earth. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

thome
03-02-2010, 10:38 PM
With modern studio and computer software and the catalogue of the existing notes hendrix played ....

They, The Them, could easily have Hendrix playing lead on the next ....Hanna Montanna pop single.

It would be even simpler to take some ideas of tunes he had written down and create what would seem to be completed New Music.

Or added to lost damaged basement jam tapes.

I really don't know if this is a good concept.

I know it isn't new.

People have overdubbed guest guitarists to boost quality on re released supposed masters for a long time.

What's the diff in taking old notes and reorganizing then as tho they were layed down like that.

They could write new music and with the proper engineering and help from some studio musicians structure flow wise, have all new music.

Is it Jimmy or is it Memorex..?

vaijuju
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Valleys Of Neptune" track listing:

"Stone Free"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 9, 14, May 17,1969
Producer: Jimi Hendrix
Vocal, Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Bass: Billy Cox
Drums: Mitch Mitchell
Backing Vocals: Roger Chapman, Andy Fairweather Low

"Valleys Of Neptune"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, September 23, 1969, May 15, 1970
Percussion: Juma Sultan

"Bleeding Heart"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 24, 1969
Drums: Rocky Isaac
Tambourine: Chris Grimes
Maracas: Al Marks

"Hear My Train A Comin'"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 1969
Bass: Noel Redding

"Mr. Bad Luck"
Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, May 5, 1967
Producer: Chas Chandler
Additional bass and drum recording, Air Studios, London, June 5, 1987

"Sunshine Of Your Love"
Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 16, 1969
Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Percussion: Rocki Dzidzornu

"Lover Man"

"Ships Passing Through The Night"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 14, 1969
Guitar, Vocals: Jimi Hendrix

"Fire"
Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 17, 1969
Bass, Backing Vocal: Noel Redding

"Red House"
Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 17, 1969

"Lullaby For The Summer"
Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 1969
Mixed By Eddie Kramer
Guitar: Jimi Hendrix

"Crying Blue Rain"
Additional bass and drum recording, Air Studios, London, June 5, 1987
Percussion: Rocki Dzidzornu

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=135998

Panamark
03-03-2010, 06:10 AM
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy !

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 06:29 AM
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy !

Easily one of the top ten mondegreens.

Cheers! :bottle:

Panamark
03-03-2010, 06:34 AM
mondegreens, thats a cool word, does that mean misheard lyrics ?

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Yep.

Came from the first misheard lyrics.

Some Irish song about "lay them on the green" heard by some Englishman as "Lady Mondegreen", back in... uh... well, a couple of centuries ago.

I know a lot of useless data, though with so much shit in my head is hard to keep all the details in.

Panamark
03-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks SyLicker !

I didnt know that word or history of it !

Cool !

Panamark
03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
A riddle for you, Im looking at a photo..

Brothers and Sisters have I none.
But this man's Father is my Fathers son..

Who is the photo of ??

Seshmeister
03-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Is it that picture of my cock I sent you last week?

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Who is the photo of ??

Well, it might be your kid, dunno.

But now that I have been reminded of mondegreens, I did a google search, and, unsurprisingly enuff, Wikipedia was the first link.

Apparently, the general meaning of what I wrote still applies, but as I said, I'm not very good with details.

The song's name is The Bonnie Earl O' Moray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonnie_Earl_O'_Murray), it's Scottish not Irish (though they're pretty much the same :)) the misheard lyric is "And laid him on the green", not "Laid them on the green", and it's only the ballad that is a couple of centuries old, the mishearding was done in the twentieth century.

Wikipedia is a commodity we didn't have a couple of years ago, and a very wonderful one at that.

Just don't use it to do your homework or quote it when doing serious research. But for these little things, it's right up there with silicone & air conditioning.

Mondegreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen)

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before, apparently there's an Aussie show that deals with it?

But here's the real gold: Chas & Dave sing this song & I must say, I never really "got it", if only because I never even found it weird that those guys would sing about Mairzy Doats & Dozy Doats. Some other artists, maybe, but it's a fairly common thing for Chas & Dave.

Here it is:

Reverse mondegreen

Mairzy Doats, a 1943 novelty song by Milton Drake, Al Hoffman and Jerry Livingston, works the other way around. The lyrics are already a mondegreen, and it's up to the listener to figure out what they mean. The refrain of the song repeats nonsensical sounding lines:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe (or, if you prefer, "wouldn't chew").

The clue to the meaning of the words is contained in the bridge:

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,
Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

The listener can figure out that the last line of the refrain is "A kid'll eat ivy, too; wouldn't you?", but this line is sung only as a mondegreen.

Top shite!

Seshmeister
03-03-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm amazed I've learned a new English word from a Spaniard. :)

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I knew you wouldn't miss it, even buried in all that shit.

Ralphy Lee Fox
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah, he'll be touring. Just not up there on Earth. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d025.gif

Yeah... wonder if Randy Rhoads and Cozy Powell are still in the line-up.

Panamark
03-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Is it that picture of my cock I sent you last week?

No, but we did frame it and put it up in the billiards room :)

ZahZoo
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
It's simple... Hendrix is a guitar god. Outlived his mortal stuff and kept on going.

Ed is a lazy jackass...

Panamark
03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Nobody has figured the riddle yet ??
Auto thanks to the winner :)

twonabomber
03-03-2010, 09:20 AM
It's simple... Hendrix is a guitar god. Outlived his mortal stuff and kept on going.

Ed is a lazy jackass...

more like Hendrix has a greedy family that's gonna milk his name for all they can.

Anonymous
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Hey, I figured it just before I posted my dissertation on mondegreens.

It's at the top of the post.

And how the fuck these people dare to derail a derailed thread?

If you want to discuss the original subject of the thread, create another one!

Selfish bastards.

vh rides again
03-04-2010, 02:09 PM

jimis brother must be out of crack money. he finally talked the rest of his family into letting someone do the album. most will go to attorneys, whats left he will blow on a oz and a couple crackwhores.

hes looking at a picture of his son i believe.

Igosplut
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
What, Does janie need a new car for fucks sake?????

UK ROCKER
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Jeez for beyond stooopid, Hendrix has a new album coming out, after being dead for nearly 40 years, but our Beloved Van Halen cant do squat....WTF Edwardo.......:pullinghair:
Maybe they are waiting for 2014...so they can celebrate the 30 year aniversary of releasing a real album...........:(

The day Eddie dies is the day we will be one step nearer that box set that everyone wants.

So would we prefer -

1) A dead Ed = New unheard tracks being released over the coming years = box set

OR

2) An Alive Ed = Doing the greatest hits tour every 2/3 years (giving a little less each time)

Remember this is just for fun, so don't get all serious on me.

Coyote
03-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Who is the photo of ??

Of you, ya self-centered nong...

CuntSmasher
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Hendrix's both black and dead. He'd even get an Oscar these days.

Panamark
03-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Of you, ya self-centered nong...

WINNNER !!!!!!!:winner::winner::winner::winner::winner:

Panamark
03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
(Must be all that daylight ??)

ZahZoo
03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
more like Hendrix has a greedy family that's gonna milk his name for all they can.

True to an extent... it is previously unreleased studio recordings though. I'm thankful to have it.

At least my other favorite iconic guitarist is keeping me entertained... definately can't say that for Ed... and his latest surprise hardware store guest appearance.

Hardrock69
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I got this album a couple of weeks before it was released.

I am not impressed. Some interesting tracks, but too many 'versions' of songs that have been released to many times already.

They need to pull their heads out of their asses at Experience Hendrix LLC (damn near impossible, actually) and release the remastered DVD of the Royal Albert Hall show.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Hendrix's both black and dead. He'd even get an Oscar these days.

or a nobel peace prize:umm:

ZahZoo
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Well it's a sad day when an artist has been dead for nearly 40 years and his new release hits number 4 on the Billboard charts...

The sad thing is what this says about the alleged living... ah hmmm Mr Van Halen... the dead are kicking your lazy ass!!!

Rikk
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Bull-fucking-shit. Hendrix was the most prolific studio recorded that lived.

I'm a more hardcore Jimi fan than Eddie fan at this point. I could tell you from reading a few books about another 200 tracks that should be released, and will be.

Maybe the motive is money, but the historical value and musical legitimacy of these new releases is 100%.

I'd rather hear more music from Hendrix in his prime than any sub-par cock-rock that Eddie would bother putting out in this day and age...those three new songs from 2004 were downright embarrassing (and the vocals were only part of the problem).

Anonymous
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
WINNNER !!!!!!!:winner::winner::winner::winner::winner:

You're your father?

The bit that says this man's father is my father's son means there's your father, you, and your son.

You're the son of your father & the father of your son.

Terry
03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I guess mostly because Hendrix is dead, thus he has no control over anything he recorded. Subsequently, just about anything and everything he smacked down on tape will end up being released, regardless of merit or even if the man wanted it to be released or not (his greedy sister can make the case "well, we'll never know if Jimi would have put the stuff out or not").

If Ed and his brother kicked the neckbraced Loon bucket a few years back, would it be too hard a leap to imagine Wolfie (with a little prodding from mommy) sifting through all those miles of tape and compiling releases?

It'd be, like, outtakes from How Many Say I?, complete with multiple alternate lyrics and drunken belches. A whole albums worth. And doubtless the Eddie Grunts would run out and buy the stuff. Same shit happened to Hendrix. Next JH release will be the same thing - lost in a vault, undiscovered for 4 decades, these rough demos point to a new direction Hendrix was heading in before he died, blah blah blah.

Rikk
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
I guess mostly because Hendrix is dead, thus he has no control over anything he recorded. Subsequently, just about anything and everything he smacked down on tape will end up being released, regardless of merit or even if the man wanted it to be released or not (his greedy sister can make the case "well, we'll never know if Jimi would have put the stuff out or not").

If Ed and his brother kicked the neckbraced Loon bucket a few years back, would it be too hard a leap to imagine Wolfie (with a little prodding from mommy) sifting through all those miles of tape and compiling releases?

It'd be, like, outtakes from How Many Say I?, complete with multiple alternate lyrics and drunken belches. A whole albums worth. And doubtless the Eddie Grunts would run out and buy the stuff. Same shit happened to Hendrix. Next JH release will be the same thing - lost in a vault, undiscovered for 4 decades, these rough demos point to a new direction Hendrix was heading in before he died, blah blah blah.

His previous curator, ALAN DOUGLAS, was guilty of exactly what you're talking about.

The current estate may have greed in their minds...but they also have the original producers, and they are releasing things that should be released...things on fan's wish lists for years. The very fact that they managed to construct a finished version of his long-lost song VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE (I was wishing they would do something like this for years...taking the good vocal from one take and the good instrumental take from another session and marrying them together and putting together a perfectly-good final take)...this is good stuff. The music on the new album is great and should be heard...historically. This is not like Douglas's ridiculous compilations based on making Hendrix sound contemporary. And the films they've put out have been worth it.

It's funny to hear Van Halen fans who constantly bitch about Eddie not releasing anything almost complain because Hendrix is. He just happened to record dozens and dozens of unreleased songs and many, many filmed concerts. All power to 'em.

chefcraig
03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
It's funny to hear Van Halen fans who constantly bitch about Eddie not releasing anything almost complain because Hendrix is. He just happened to record dozens and dozens of unreleased songs and many, many filmed concerts. All power to 'em.

It does make you scratch your head at times, doesn't it? This odd sense of entitlement that some fans have over a performer's catalogue and works, particularly when something is released after being held back all these years. There are cries of "tarnishing the legacy", ect. The truth is, in the case of Jimi Hendrix, if the man's legacy was ever going to be wrecked it was when Alan Douglas hired a bunch of disco session stiffs to tape over some odds and ends that were laying around, decades ago.

Here is the pisser in all of this: These posthumous releases always manage to sell quite well, even the crummy bootlegs with lousy sound quality. Now tell me, how is it possible that the same curious collectors that have been snapping this stuff up since, what...1973, are still pursuing this material today? The short answer is they aren't, the longer answer being that new generations of fans have a fervent desire to hear this material. And don't they deserve to?

And I'm not talking about exploitative hunks of garbage like a Gibson Stratocaster or a Hendrix "inspired" piano, I'm speaking of inspirational musical content. Hell, just look at the releases that for a while crowded the market after the deaths of Presley and Marley. You can still get your very own Elvis dinnerware set to this very day, for cryin' out loud. At least the Hendrix estate is (finally) attempting to offer this music with some form of dignity attached to it. For that alone, these releases should be heralded and accepted with a warm welcome. The people that chastise their release are not only being selfish with regard to the man's musical legacy, they are being hypocritical as well.

Rikk
03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
It does make you scratch your head at times, doesn't it? This odd sense of entitlement that some fans have over a performer's catalogue and works, particularly when something is released after being held back all these years. There are cries of "tarnishing the legacy", ect. The truth is, in the case of Jimi Hendrix, if the man's legacy was ever going to be wrecked it was when Alan Douglas hired a bunch of disco session stiffs to tape over some odds and ends that were laying around, decades ago.

Here is the pisser in all of this: These posthumous releases always manage to sell quite well, even the crummy bootlegs with lousy sound quality. Now tell me, how is it possible that the same curious collectors that have been snapping this stuff up since, what...1973, are still pursuing this material today? The short answer is they aren't, the longer answer being that new generations of fans have a fervent desire to hear this material. And don't they deserve to?

And I'm not talking about exploitative hunks of garbage like a Gibson Stratocaster or a Hendrix "inspired" piano, I'm speaking of inspirational musical content. Hell, just look at the releases that for a while crowded the market after the deaths of Presley and Marley. You can still get your very own Elvis dinnerware set to this very day, for cryin' out loud. At least the Hendrix estate is (finally) attempting to offer this music with some form of dignity attached to it. For that alone, these releases should be heralded and accepted with a warm welcome. The people that chastise their release are not only being selfish with regard to the man's musical legacy, they are being hypocritical as well.

You said exactly what I was trying to say but said it better.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Eddie released a box set of unreleased studio material, fans would first rejoice and then they'd start a thread like "Van Halen have now shown us how weak they were in the old days with these unreleased tracks". These would be the same fans that have called him a lazy ass for not freeing the tapes, since we all know the band has a lot of unreleased songs.

chefcraig
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
By the way...if ya don't believe that hearing cleaned-up versions of mind-blowing material like this is somehow not worthy of public awareness, then jolly good luck to you, motherfuckers. :umm:

"Burning Desire" - Billy Cox, Buddy Miles and Jimi Hendrix Rehearsal

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLwZX8XJmL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLwZX8XJmL0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
While it's still up, dig and save... Ezy Rider (Band Of Gypsys)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptiLrwWxrTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ptiLrwWxrTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

VanHalenFan5150
04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
How come Hendrix can have a new album but Van Halen can't?

They hated live recordings. And they hated bootlegs too. But that won't stop people from recording them.

Hecubus
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Fucking LOVE Band of Gypsies. Thanks, chef.

GAR
04-03-2010, 06:28 PM
How come Hendrix can have a new album but Van Halen can't?

Crack cocaine didn't exist in the 60's.

Antman
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Jimi also managed to release a sex tape. I'll be happy w new music from VH though. Not asking for much.

indeedido
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I love the Band of Gypsies. A lot better group than the Experience IMO.

chefcraig
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Fucking LOVE Band of Gypsies. Thanks, chef.

I love the Band of Gypsies. A lot better group than the Experience IMO.

Billy Cox was the key. Even when playing with Mitch Mitchell, he was right in the groove. Noel Redding was actually a rhythm guitarist, and only switched to bass at the audition to get the gig (in fact, he was more or less hired for his looks). As a result, Redding tended to put down a "guitar player's bass" that was somewhat stiff and angular. What Hendrix really needed was the rounded, more sympathetic sound he found with Billy. And the way the two played off and followed each other was simply uncanny.

Hecubus
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
This as well as the fact that he had been locked in with Billy Cox for years on the Chitlin' Circuit...