PDA

View Full Version : Sincere Request for Assistance/Advice

Firebrand
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Folks,

I've come here in the past month or so asking for help with a "Battle of the Bands" charity event, and you guys have been invaluable...we are all fixed up and ready to go with that!

With that in mind, I come today seeking assistance or maybe even some good advice.

My name is Randy Young, and I am the director of the Broadcast/Audio Production department at Thomas County Central High School in Thomasville, Georgia. Our program is comprised of approximately 140 high school students who are learning to produce audio and video at a professional level.

Our program is like no other in our region. We are offering an amazing opportunity to our students, who live in a community with a median annual income of just under $18,000 per household. This program provides media-minded young adults a legitimate path to follow to grasp their dreams of being part of the world of video and audio production (I've got pics...if you'd like to see our facility, shoot me an email). Where we are today is the end result of nearly 20 years of blood, sweat and tears.

As I mentioned, this is a prototype program in Georiga, and now the other 300 or so high schools in our state are looking to us to help them develop something similar. Just this week we have had over a dozen superintendants and principals visit to see what we are doing and what we are doing it with.

We are looking for equipment to help outfit this studio to be all it can be for the young people of this area. As many of you already know, educational funding has been cut to the bone, so we are seeking support from individuals and companies who are interested in assisting in the education of many deserving and very eager young adults.

This is quite open ended...we have software and computers to be able to mix and edit in, but we are in need of gear.

If you can assist with any equipment, or can offer any names of up and coming yet very deserving companies that might could offer gear in exchange for being placed on our state 'recommended vendor' list, please email me at ryoung@thomas.k12.ga.us

Please consider the opportunity, and I will look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you all, and may God bless.

VanHalener
03-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a skin flute the ladies can play. No wait, you said high school. Drop another thread on me when you are teaching on a college campus and I'll come by with my donation.

I'll spread the word nonetheless:hitch:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9JYq-mXprw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a9JYq-mXprw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Great State of Georgia Kicks ASS!

GAR
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I would keep the school officials out of there and instead focus on parental support.

What do you hope to achieve by entertaining the very people who sacrifice music program funding to feed the teachers' unions?

The best advice I'd give to someone out in the boonies is: focus on fundamental theory and songwriting which the kids can achieve with a 99 cent kazoo - the superintendants will not disagree. Thats why they should be fired and for that you need parental support.

Good luck on Gear Beg Thread #2. Will there be a Number 3 far ahead?

Diamondjimi
03-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Wow, GARfail responds with the usual advise (this time actually requested) and proceeds to smear his ignorant verbal feces all over it.
You fuckin loser, this guy is trying to do something positive for people. Something you are clearly incapable of.

Fucking :Loser:

Firebrand
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
...I figured some folks would be aggravated by my asking...but you know, nothing risked nothing gained. If nothing comes from it we are no worse off than we are right now...so I figured it was worth a try.

And GAR, FWIW, Georgia doesn't have any teacher unions.

kwame k
03-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Wish I had something to donate and it's definitely a worthy cause.

The only thing I can think of is use the old write off. Meaning if you have a piece of equipment that you could only sell for say, 50 bucks but could donate it for an "on paper value" of 200 bucks it's worth it to donate it.

Blackflag
03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Is this a Nigerian scam?

GAR
03-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Kinda feels like it.

In the 9th grade we had a 1st period class, Classical Guitar.

We had 35 public high school students, the teacher was well-connected to the guitar community so we occasionally had guests tune up with us and talk about forms and exercises.

On the weekends, it was private outings to see Segovia play UCLA, arranged by a teacher out of pocket, who barely had the support to keep the class going from the school.

Soon after it was no longer offered. That's the state of affairs for the fight between Edu vs the Arts and its a sad fact, but kids are just going to have to fight out their priorities.. do they want to reach Master level at some fucking xbox game after 180 hours of ether roleplay at Guitar Band Hero bullshit or do they really want to apply that and be able to pull off some interesting tunes?

I am afraid it's just going to be a Survival of the Fittest. Or those who really want it will master an instrument or get good at voice will brave being unpopular for the moment to gain a life skill forever.

If a kid wants it bad enough he'll sacrifice to obtain it, I did. I can't consciously offer much else than advise even though we as adults may think music education and child development is the most important thing a school has to offer. That's just the way I feel about it.

VanHalener
03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
My friend's said they'd like to help and will try to figure something out. My sweet baby should be getting back from having her hair cut wayyyyyyyyy to short very soon, and when she does I will ask her if she would like to donate any items. VanHalenette is a music teacher, and I believe she and her music teaching friends can come up with something for you all. Now listen, here's the catch...You have to teach these cats some classic Van Halen, not that Van Hagar cheese filled bullshit sandwich nonsense. A =CVH= song or two will do.

~I'll be Back~

Gotta go tune my kazoo for today's show.

ZahZoo
03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
A thought for Firebrand... most TV & radio stations use production gear that could be useful for your production operations. I'd suggest reaching out to all the local media outfits within range of your district.

They may have old gear around to donate... or another option is see if they would be willing to donate time in their own facilities as some sort of community apprenticeship programs. Also check with any local recording studios... they may have a lot of unbooked time with the economy as it is and could donate time in their studios rather than let gear sit idle... plus help their community.

Coming here may or may not net things... or give you ideas beyond your resources. If this is legit... I'd give it a go at Harmony Central or any of the other large internet music chat boards. You might check out plexi-palace as well... there's a lot of old vintage gear hounds there and they may have stuff to unload...