PDA

View Full Version : Speculation in regards to a DVD?

Unchainme
03-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I did notice something funny as I was browsing a few VH vids. on youtube, when clicking on a =VH= vid. that was by no means officially released by any means (it was off an old Japanese broadcast in 1978.), and this is what it said.

"Van Halen early 1978 Japan TV"
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Which brings me to an interesting point, does VH own the rights to the preformances that VH preformed that were broadcast live on television? I mean, if it was just over the music, wouldn't the video have remained muted? and if so, why can't VH just release them (no matter how piss poor the quality) like kiss did with their money grab?

FORD
03-13-2010, 08:16 PM
This is the worst of the RIAA fascism, when labels claim "ownership" of content that they had nothing to do with, such as a bootleg video in this case, or as an even more ridiculous example, Allen Klein's ABKCO records claiming ownership of Rolling Stones live footage from 1972 & 73, when the Stones fired that son of a bitch as their manager and left his label in 1970.

Stupid fucks can't even grasp the obvious - they might actually sell MORE copies of these albums if these videos remained available. Guess they forgot that the entire reason music videos were invented in the first place was as a tool of promoting sales.

chefcraig
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
It's a good question, the answer to which is predicated on the nebulous nature of the relationship between the VH brain trust and Warner Brothers. Remember, Warners (WNG) has been yanking videos off of Youtube for over a year now, due to a dispute between the record company and Youtube over compensation for music used in the clips presented (http://www.vhnd.com/2009/03/26/many-van-halen-videos-pulled-from-youtube/). Apparently, this mess has yet to be resolved.

The question of who owns this material is a huge one. If Warners bankrolled a good percentage of these video clips, then it could be assumed that the ownership resides with them. In the case of tv show appearances, the footage more than likely is the property of the individual networks or whomever produced the show. (What you see on Youtube are obviously fan copies of this material, judging by the crummy quality.)

You also have to consider just what VH has stockpiled in it's own vaults, if there really is such a thing. Do they even have an archivist on the payroll? There have been rumors for years that the band had several shows filmed during the Roth era, and this footage was stored at Pacific Title (http://www.vhtrading.com/pactitles.php) in California. Just where this stuff is now, and what condition it might be in is a total mystery.

So combine all of these diverse situations, along with the generally clue-free nature of Van Halen when it comes to releasing anything worthwhile since "Me Wise Magic" in 1996, and you wind up with things the way they are currently. Until some clear-thinking guy wades through the red tape wasteland that is the VH archive, it's also the way things will remain.

It only took the guys in Led Zeppelin some 23 years after the band ended to come up with some video, and it was pretty damned impressive. Unfortunately at this point, Van Halen appears to be following the same business model. Check back in 2033, or so.

ThrillsNSpills
03-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Allen Klein was the Ray Danniels of the 70's.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm wondering if that clip is the one where the band says that goofy "Fasten Your Seatbelts !!".....

Here it is (embed disabled);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy4kju54bmA

chefcraig
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Allen Klein was the Ray Danniels of the 70's.

To be fair, Klein at least had the practical business sense to involve himself with The Beatles and The Stones, whereas Daniels chose to align himself with...Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone.

ZahZoo
03-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm thinkin that if VH filmed/recorded shows from the 2007/8 tour and couldn't even get that project out for an easy cash grab... then any classic live material hasn't even warranted a brain fart amongst the VH collective...

The VH vault could yield a ton of great releases... but Ed & Al would have to embrace their legacy and in simple terms get off their lazy asses and do something. Neither of which seems plausible at this phase...

hankster
03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
It makes me wonder why you guys don't work for them, I mean you all seem to know more than ed and alex, go get your applications. Hurry, before sammy comes back!

chefcraig
03-14-2010, 11:15 AM
It makes me wonder why you guys don't work for them, I mean you all seem to know more than ed and alex, go get your applications.

The pay scale is OK, it's the lack of job security. As soon as Ed Van Halen places his hand on your shoulder and calls you "brother" or refers to you as a "soul mate", you can pretty much start cleaning out your locker. Outside of the sporting world, there are few other job opportunities on the planet where a ringing endorsement from management so quickly brings such a certain kiss of death.

hankster
03-14-2010, 11:23 AM
lol, that was funny craig, I didn't know that you had it in you!

VanHalener
03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Pardon moi, but PHUCK THAT DVD!!!

Until Van Halen puts out something new I ain't buyin' jACK SHIT from Spedco. I'd rather write Dave a check and hand it to him with a smile saying, "Dave, here you go buddy. Thanks for not being a dick and putting up with all the bullshit".

PHUCK a DVD!!!

And Phuck you Spammy Gheygar!

78/84 guy
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Thread 100 = 100 dream on's !!