PDA

View Full Version : Ladanian to become NY Jet?

sadaist
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
DAMMIT!

Once again, being a fan of San Diego sports gets even harder. The team that we choked too in a year we were favored to win the Super Bowl takes our guy. Argh! This isn't even salt in the wounds. Salt would be a relief compared to what San Diego team ownerships have done to us fans over the years.

All my best wishes to LT. I hope he plays us & shows the team why they shouldn't have let him go.

LT appears to be in NY state of mind - SignOnSanDiego.com (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/14/done-deal-lt-headed-jets-chargers/)
LT appears to be in NY state of mind

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 10:52 a.m.
LaDainian Tomlinson acknowledged the crowd at Qualcomm Stadium in November.

K.C. Alfred / Union-Tribune

LaDainian Tomlinson acknowledged the crowd at Qualcomm Stadium in November.

The team that just two months ago ended one of the best Chargers’ seasons ever now appears to have absconded with one of the best Chargers’ players ever.

According to three people with knowledge of the process, Tomlinson has decided to become a New York Jet.

"It's 100 percent," one source said. "Done deal."

Sources said Tomlinson is expected to announce the decision today or tomorrow.

Still, Tomlinson said via e-mail this morning that he “doesn’t know” where he’s going yet.

One source cautioned late Saturday night that a decision has not yet been officially made. But the others said today that Tomlinson has let people know he is going to New York.

After nine years as a San Diego icon, Tomlinson was released in February. His 2009 season saw him post career-low numbers in carries and yards, but he left the franchise holding 28 team records and as the NFL’s eighth-leading rusher all-time and third-leading touchdown scorer ever.

In New York, he will back up Shonn Greene.

Tomlinson also visited the Minnesota Vikings last week, spending two days in Minneapolis before going to New York. He returned to San Diego on Saturday.

There have also been reports the New Orleans Saints were interested in bringing Tomlinson for a visit. But the lure of playing in the Big Apple and under Brian Schottenheimer, the Jets offensive coordinator and son of former Chargers coach and LT confidant Marty Schottenheimer, evidently won out.

The length and terms of the deal are not known

chefcraig
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
This really doesn't make a lot of sense. If he went with the Vikings, he would be the #2 guy, splitting plays with Peterson. Instead, he goes with the Jets where essentially he'll be a 3rd down back. Maybe he's more banged up then he has previously let on? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-confused-smileys-718.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Concerning San Diego, they let Marty go and hire Norv Turner, who hasn't gotten any farther in the playoffs than Marty did. Yet he keeps his job? I really believe the idea of letting Tomlinson go is evidence that the team is going to focus on the passing game, which Phillip Rivers is more than capable of handling. The thing is, you still need the run to set up the pass. A return to the days of Air Coryell would be cool to see however, particularly with the way the league has softened up the rules in favor of the offense, pretty much hampering the defense in the process. The arena ball style of play favored by the Rams in their Super Bowl years proves how effective such an offense can be. I just wonder if they have the personnel and coaching staff capable of pulling it off.

sadaist
03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
]

I really believe the idea of letting Tomlinson go is evidence that the team is going to focus on the passing game, which Phillip Rivers is more than capable of handling.

Which they really did this last year a lot. Another large factor in LT's sub-par numbers. Yes, he isn't what he was 4 years ago, but he isn't being utilized the same way either. A lot less touches, and not a constant stream. When you're in there nearly every down you get into a rhythm. Going in on a piece meal rotation is going to affect consistency.

And let's not forget the O-line isn't what it was when LT was putting up big numbers. A lot more reasons for the decline in his numbers than just his age.

I believe this guy can still contribute, in a big way.

Jack68
03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
The Jets have the best offensive line in football i wouldnt be shocked if Tomlinson did well in NY.He can catch and run routes give him 12 -15 touches a game ..anything can happen.i guess the question is can he fit into his role and in the lockerroom?