• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doctor Dude
    Groupie
    • Oct 2009

Actor Peter Graves Found Dead

'Mission: Impossible' actor Peter Graves found dead - CNN.com

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- Actor Peter Graves, best known for his starring role on TV's "Mission: Impossible," was found dead Sunday at his home, according to a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department. He was 83.

There was no sign of foul play in the actor's death, officer Karen Rayner said.

Graves portrayed the character Jim Phelps for all but one of the seven years "Mission: Impossible" ran on CBS, from 1967-1973. He won a Golden Globe in 1971 for his work on the show, and he was also nominated for an Emmy.

He reprised the role from 1988 to 1990 when the show resurfaced on ABC.

In an interview with CNN in 1996, Graves expressed disappointment with Hollywood's movie version of "Mission: Impossible" -- starring Tom Cruise -- which included none of the stars from the original TV series. Actor Jon Voigt played the Phelps character.

"I am sorry that they chose to call him Phelps," he said at the time. "They could have solved that very easily by either having me in a scene in the very beginning, or reading a telegram from me saying, 'Hey boys, I'm retired, gone to Hawaii. Thank you, good-bye, you take over now.'"

Graves also appeared as Capt. Clarence Oveur in the 1980 movie spoof "Airplane!" -- a role he originally turned down, according to the Web's Internet Movie Database. He changed his mind after meeting with the film's writers, according to IMDb.

In recent years, Graves was part of a larger group that won an Outstanding Informational Series Emmy for the 1997 TV documentary "Judy Garland: Beyond the Rainbow." Graves hosted the documentary.

He is survived by his wife, Joan Endress, and three daughters, Kelly, Claudia and Amanda Graves, according to IMDb. Graves was the younger brother of actor James Arness, who starred in the long-running TV series "Gunsmoke" as Marshal Matt Dillon.
  • High Life Man
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

He was great in "Airplane!".

Comment

• Doctor Dude
      Groupie
      • Oct 2009

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaXvFT_UyI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qaXvFT_UyI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Possibly the funniest movie ever.

Comment

• Doctor Dude
        Groupie
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by High Life Man
        Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

He was great in "Airplane!".
        Do you like movies about gladiators?

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Oh man, loved everything the guy did and I didn't know James Arness was his brother.

RIP Peter
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

This is sad, of course...what's even more sad is that I thought he was dead already.

Has he done anything at all recently? I can't remember having heard about him at all for quite some time.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

...."this tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds"....our memories won't.

See ya' on the other side!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Yeah I grew up with him on the TV. Mission Impossible was on TV right around when Star Trek was on. I used trip out on the self-destruction part.

RIP Mr. Turkish Bath Gladiator Joey Guy.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Great voice, great actor, and great overall talent.

Loved him in "Airplane"...as most everyone else did as well.

Rest In Peace, Peter.
                  Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

R.I.P. Gladiator guy.
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

You ever been in a Turkish prison ??
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

What really made the first Airplane! movie work was the performances of the key actors, who rather than hamming it up, chose to portray their characters dead seriously. Here is a collection of Grave's "Joey" scenes. These are usually edited out of television broadcasts these days, and show you just how times have changed.

RIP, Captain Oveur

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmHOteBVqKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmHOteBVqKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                            This is sad, of course...what's even more sad is that I thought he was dead already.

Has he done anything at all recently? I can't remember having heard about him at all for quite some time.
                            My older brother said the same thing aboot Glen Ford when he died..."I thought he died 10 years ago!"

RIP PETE

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Am I the only one puzzled by the FOUND DEAD part of the Headline?

That's usually reserved for young people and/or suspicious circumstance, i.e. Keith Carradine in the Bangkok closet.

He had a great life, RIP
                              Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...