X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WOAHYEAH
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Just bought 'Diamond Dave'

I dont see why this CD got bad reviews, or why only 5 thousand people bought it, or whatever. Some great tracks on here, You got the blues, not me, Thug pop, made up my mind to name a few. Hearing a new version of Ice Cream Man is a great thing for classic VH fans, and while people might disagree, hearing 'act one' on there made me crack up. I have no idea what it was, but i found it funny.
    Served hot, right from the rhythm kitchen.
  • pete
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Re: Just bought 'Diamond Dave'

Aside from Dave, it is immaculately produced.

DLR shows that he can still tackle the blues and many shades of rock-n-roll and make it his own.

Some singer can only fit in to a certain niche.

His musical desires are broad and, that is just another thing that left VH when he dumped 'em.

Here he shows he hasn't lost a beat.
    Where he tackles alot of covers, he uses the spare imagination in the interpretation.

Alot of people would've had him repeat himself with a DLRBand 2.
    Not me.

It sounds different sonically but, he always remains consistent in what he brings to a musical project. Whatever the configuration.

And it works.

That speaks genius to me.

It also reflects a real love of music and it's possibilities.

Comment

• pete
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Just bought 'Diamond Dave'

Originally posted by pete
      Aside from Dave, it is immaculately produced.

DLR shows that he can still tackle the blues and many shades of rock-n-roll and make it his own.

Some singer can only fit in to a certain niche.

His musical desires are broad and, that is just another thing that left VH when he dumped 'em.

Here he shows he hasn't lost a beat.
      Where he tackles alot of covers, he uses the spare imagination in the interpretation.

Alot of people would've had him repeat himself with a DLRBand 2.
      Not me.

It sounds different sonically but, he always remains consistent in what he brings to a musical project. Whatever the configuration.

And it works.

That speaks genius to me.

It also reflects a real love of music and it's possibilities.
      come on!!!

give it up!

Comment

• fanofdave
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

about that Diamond Dave CD.....

I've been saying for a while now that the Diamond Dave CD
        is a great album. Its not classic ass kicking rock and roll from
        the master, but its a great collection of cover tunes excellently
        interpreted by Dave.

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

It's summertime folks....pop that bad bitch in. *Hangin' from a pine tree by the knees*

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I can't believe how much this album has gotten hammered..........yes it's not his best work, but it is still ass kickin' Dave.

Comment

• Keeyth
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2004

So... ...when did this album come out?
              ...and is Dave doing any touring behind it?
              Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

"saw a man walking upside down, t.v.'s on the brink, made galileo look like a boy scout, sorry 'bout that......LET IT ALL HANG OUT" that song is the shit! also ever since the album hit, the song 'bad habit' has become a favorite 'cause of it's lyrical content....very true to me, close to my heart lyrics. especially when it's 1:45am and you get used to hearing "LAST CALL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!" twice a week. anyway, i think it's an outstanding album, and i feel vindicated as a fan. it's not a 'ground rule double', baby this one clears the wall. cheers!......

Comment

• Jano
                  Commando
                  • Feb 2004

This album is what DAVE is all about; fun!
                  -It's too bad that this album is so hard to find in France because it's a good record!DAVE is DAVE and that's why we love him so much !
                  little french dreamer hate those Van Hagar backstage party!!
                  http://deliajolie.spaces.live.com/

Comment

• TMR

LET IT ALL HANG OUT!!!!!!!!
                    Originally posted by hambon4lif
                    "saw a man walking upside down, t.v.'s on the brink, made galileo look like a boy scout, sorry 'bout that......LET IT ALL HANG OUT" that song is the shit! also ever since the album hit, the song 'bad habit' has become a favorite 'cause of it's lyrical content....very true to me, close to my heart lyrics. especially when it's 1:45am and you get used to hearing "LAST CALL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!" twice a week. anyway, i think it's an outstanding album, and i feel vindicated as a fan. it's not a 'ground rule double', baby this one clears the wall. cheers!......

100% AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• tobinentinc
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2004

Read this Recent review of Diamond Dave:

Let's face it; David Lee Roth was the most exciting and entertaining singer to ever front Van Halen. And although his solo albums have not all been winners, at least he's been known to take chances and try new approaches with rock music (such as the entirely sung-in-Spanish Sonrisa Salvaje, the synth pop-ish Skyscraper, the Nile Rodgers-produced Your Filthy Little Mouth, etc.). For his 2003 release Diamond Dave, Roth uses the same approach he and his then-comrades in Van Halen followed on 1982's Diver Down -- an album consisting primarily of cover songs, with a few originals sprinkled in. As expected, the covers that work the best are the ones that aren't that well known, including the lead-off single "Shoo Bop" (a cover of Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma") and a big band reading of a tune Van Halen covered way back when, "Ice Cream Man," while a few of the better-known songs (especially Jimi Hendrix's "If 6 Was 9") don't fare as well. Of course, Diamond Dave is no Fair Warning. But it's a hell of a whole lot more listenable than anything Van Halen has issued in ages (especially when compared to the 1998 atrocity Van Halen III). ~ Greg Prato, All Music Guide

windowsmedia.com
                      http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• Loons The Great

You'll Have 'Em Blues, Not Me nah yez

A couple a moons ago, Ize was feelin' mighty fine...a lil' spiritually distorted nah...an' I wuz in the mood...to go fo' a lil' late evenin' run...e'en 'ough dem streets was busier than a cat caught in rat trap...Ize decided to get some exercise, run a mile or two to the liquor sto'...not the one John Law burned down nah nah...I decided to pick the record Diamond Dave as my soundtrack one time y'all...put the headphones on, cranked the volume to 11 an' took off like a runaway locomotive, can ya diggit??....an' I gots to say that Diamond Dave...the album sounded motherfucking SPECTACULAR!!!!!! Kept me motorvated all the way to the liquor sto' where I bought some lucky strikes...an' ran home with a front pocket of whiskey and an ass pocket of gin...

Comment

• trueblue
                          Groupie
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
                          I dont see why this CD got bad reviews, or why only 5 thousand people bought it, or whatever. Some great tracks on here, You got the blues, not me, Thug pop, made up my mind to name a few. Hearing a new version of Ice Cream Man is a great thing for classic VH fans, and while people might disagree, hearing 'act one' on there made me crack up. I have no idea what it was, but i found it funny.
                          I won't speak for others, but I tried my best to like the 'Diamond Dave' album as much as i love the other DLR solo efforts, but i just can't....I always hated the idea of great rockers, (DLR is up there with the best in rock history, no question), indulging in cover song adventures...'Diamond Dave' gives a typically superb DLR vocal/lyrical vibe from time to time, but the magic is way too uneven and the momentum and interest fade quickly...Also, after the rocking inferno of the DLR Band record, i am zapped as to why Dave would wanna go in this direction....I give him credit for being gutsy enough to take these artistic risks, but the results didn't impress me enough....You Got the Blues Not Me, Stay While the Night Is Young, Thug Pop, Shoo Bop, Soul Kitchen are the main highlights for me...These could be classed as DLR originals for his new fans...but overall, I find DD a real let-down and things like Act One and Medicine Man prove how some bad weed can ruin the overall flavour of an cheeky stylish record...And hey, Ice Cream Man on VH debut was streets ahead of the latest makeover on DD..And i wanna tell guys who rave on about Brian Young besting Eddie, to have some self-respect and show some decency and honesty here...Brian can play great, no doubt...But there is absolutely no contest between him and Eddie, if for nothing else, then at least the musical material the two were dealing with...It's the height of insanity to compare the guitar-playing talents of a guy that co-piloted CVH and a young hot-shot that helped deliver sexy lounge cover songs for the incomparable DLR..
                          Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm constantly amazed at the choices other dudes make----DLR

Comment

• trueblue
                            Groupie
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
                            I won't speak for others, but I tried my best to like the 'Diamond Dave' album as much as i love the other DLR solo efforts, but i just can't....I always hated the idea of great rockers, (DLR is up there with the best in rock history, no question), indulging in cover song adventures...'Diamond Dave' gives a typically superb DLR vocal/lyrical vibe from time to time, but the magic is way too uneven and the momentum and interest fade quickly...Also, after the rocking inferno of the DLR Band record, i am zapped as to why Dave would wanna go in this direction....I give him credit for being gutsy enough to take these artistic risks, but the results didn't impress me enough....You Got the Blues Not Me, Stay While the Night Is Young, Thug Pop, Shoo Bop, Soul Kitchen are the main highlights for me...These could be classed as DLR originals for his new fans...but overall, I find DD a real let-down and things like Act One and Medicine Man prove how some bad weed can ruin the overall flavour of a cheeky stylish record...And hey, Ice Cream Man on the VH debut was streets ahead of the latest makeover on DD..And i wanna tell guys who rave on about Brian Young besting Eddie, to have some self-respect and show some decency and honesty here...Brian can play great, no doubt...But there is absolutely no contest between him and Eddie, if for nothing else, then at least the musical material the two were dealing with...It's the height of insanity to compare the guitar-playing talents of a guy that co-piloted CVH and a young hot-shot that helped deliver sexy lounge cover songs for the incomparable DLR..
                            Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm constantly amazed at the choices other dudes make----DLR

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Bad Habits.

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...