PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 MLB Hot Stove Thread

MAX
03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Fuck, only eleven days away!!!

GO SOX!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4ow2Juu7nMo/Sc0HYzE8RaI/AAAAAAAAPX0/BnuM8lCuktk/s400/boston_red_sox_girl.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/11/13/RED-SOX-vs-YANKEES-GAME-2__1226597119_9772.jpg

http://msp4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/nikikuz/yankees-suck.jpg

Bob_R
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
27-7 :biggrin::hee:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fordescape/nyboston.jpg

BITEYOASS
03-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Hope you two teams enjoy your little circle jerk. Because the Tigers are gonna take the AL title!

http://bradnagle.com/midwest/Detroit_Tigers.gif

Unchainme
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/57/full/2269.gif

only team that matters really.

NATEDOG001976
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Hope you two teams enjoy your little circle jerk. Because the Tigers are gonna take the AL title!

http://bradnagle.com/midwest/Detroit_Tigers.gif

And tell me how that's gonna happen when the lose the AL Central to the Twins?

MAX
03-31-2010, 03:20 PM

LMAO!!!

You're not even getting our sloppy seconds!!!

A gift from Bob. :)

http://media.nj.com/yankees_main/photo/johnny-damon-detroit-tigers-222jpg-43a199454868ee2e_large.jpg

MAX
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/STUkWe9hD3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/STUkWe9hD3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

POJO_Risin
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Fuck the Yankees...and the Red Sox for that matter...

I'm so fucking sick and tired of watching those two fucking teams play each other...

When the fighters went over...I was hoping for a couple of laser guided missiles to "accidentally" find their way into the dugouts.

Of course, both payrolls are so fucking high, all the cash would cushion the bombs, and prevent them from exploding...

MAX
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Fuck the Yankees...and the Red Sox for that matter...

I'm so fucking sick and tired of watching those two fucking teams play each other...

When the fighters went over...I was hoping for a couple of laser guided missiles to "accidentally" find their way into the dugouts.

Of course, both payrolls are so fucking high, all the cash would cushion the bombs, and prevent them from exploding...

Eh, you're just bitter cos the skanks have Sabathia and that we have V-Mart and Cleveland couldn't/wouldn't pay for 'em. :biggrin: ;)

POJO_Risin
04-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Eh, you're just bitter cos the skanks have Sabathia and that we have V-Mart and Cleveland couldn't/wouldn't pay for 'em. :biggrin: ;)

Yeah Max, gee, I wonder why the Indians couldn't pay for 'em? Hmmmmmm...it's a giant fucking mystery...

PETE'S BROTHER
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjjeXcQh0tU_XwZm2xBbm245nYcB?slug=ap-obit-mcgregor

too young:(

MAX
04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Fucking A, the Sox finally won a game last night!!!

NATEDOG001976
04-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Twins > Red Sox

Bob_R
05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Dallas Braden of the Oakland A's just threw a perfect game.

Dan
05-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Go The White Sox.:D

MAX
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Dallas Braden of the Oakland A's just threw a perfect game.

That was cool and olnly a cupla weeks after he yelled at A-Roid. Must've been the Karma from that, no?

What a fucked up series we had huh? I mean and from your standpoint it was great. An asskicking like that's always fun when your team does it. Nonetheless, I like the rivalry games to not be that weird and wondering which team's showing up.

Hey, enjoy this while you can cos it's one of the only times you'll ever hear me utter such words...

Congrats dude. :)

I'm thankful that at the very least The Sox weren't swept. Still, what a disappointing series. :(

MAX
05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Go The White Sox.:D

Hey Dan,

By chance, heve you seen the pink Louisville Sluggers that many players are recently using? Everytime I see one, I think of you my friend. :) I think you should purchase one? Seriously, they're for a superior cause. Women's breast cancer. It's a win-win for everyone!!!

http://www.brookstone.com/catalogimageservlet?productId=9135361&languageId=EN&imageType=mainImage&imageVer=27236

Unfortunately, they're prolly pretty expensive. I still think you should represent your team. Thus, I've taken the liberty of picking out a cap for you.

Here you go Buddyboy!!! :lmao:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3171QUQF%2BPL.jpg

Bob_R
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
That was cool and olnly a cupla weeks after he yelled at A-Roid. Must've been the Karma from that, no?

Um no. I don't know what one thing has to do with the other.

What a fucked up series we had huh? I mean and from your standpoint it was great. An asskicking like that's always fun when your team does it. Nonetheless, I like the rivalry games to not be that weird and wondering which team's showing up.

I like it when the Yankees kick the Red Sux' ass. I'm used to to it all these years. You guys need to get rid of the roid free Big Sloppy. He sucks.

Hey, enjoy this while you can cos it's one of the only times you'll ever hear me utter such words...

Congrats dude. :)

I'm thankful that at the very least The Sox weren't swept. Still, what a disappointing series. :(

You should be more congratulatory more often. It's good sportsmanship. The first two games were awesome. I got what I wanted. Two out of three. I'll take that every time.

MAX
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Um no. I don't know what one thing has to do with the other.

Good Karma from the lord above for telling that cunt A-Roid to get off his plate in Oakland!!! Duh!!!

I like it when the Yankees kick the Red Sux' ass. I'm used to to it all these years. You guys need to get rid of the roid free Big Sloppy. He sucks.

K, I retract being nice. Fuck the skankees, fuck my civility and while we're at it, fuck you too!!! No ice cream for you!!! You know I'm only joking. As for Papi, yes indeed, he clogs the lineup and is past his prime. I wish Lowell, Varitek or even V-Mart would rotate as our DH cos something needs to happen.

You should be more congratulatory more often. It's good sportsmanship. The first two games were awesome. I got what I wanted. Two out of three. I'll take that every time.

I should? Look where it got me? I try to be nice and you start in with your Yankee pride. lmao

I'm just going to say this my dear (but dumb) friend, it's still very, VERY, fucking early. Thus, I would refrain from counting all of my eggs just yet. Last year at this time we were wiping our asses with you guys. SWEEEEEPS!!!! Remember? ;) Then, look what happened? Strange things having a way of happening and especially when one gets too cocky. Hence the 2004 ALCS, remember that series? ;)

Despite your faults, I'm still going to steal something casual and knock over many 'o fruitstands for you buddy. :D

Dan
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Nice Hat,Max.:D

Nice Bat too.

Still Early Days My Friend.:D

MAX
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice Hat,Max.:D

Nice Bat too.

Still Early Days My Friend.:D

I know it's early bro. :)

This one's for all of us AL peeps...

What in the fuck were any of our team's doing by NOT signing Damon? What a steal and the pancakeface is hitting!!! I'd take him back and use him as our DH over Papi anyday!!!

http://media.mlive.com/tigers_impact/photo/johnny-damon-detroit-tigers-e1b04fdcce1064cb_large.jpg

Jagermeister
05-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Go Cards!
Kick ass Gif huh?

http://www.eteamz.com/bryanharvey/images/screaming_fire_baseball.gif

MAX
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Go Cards!

Fuck yeah!!! Love 'em for giving Boston it's first title in 86 years!!! Loved sweeping them to boot!!! Red Sox Nation thanks both The Cards and yourself. :)

Kick ass Gif huh?

Actually, it's kind of white trash. Well, not kind of, it's pure white trash!!! :biggrin: However, it's just what I'd expect from an inbred such as yourself. :happy0065:

MAX
05-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Don't wanna get my hopes too far up but yesterday looked promising. Papi hitting TWO outta thaaa paaak along with 4RBI's and Peedy knockin' an HR. Pretty good stuff. :)

Dan
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Dont Get Your Hopes Up Max.:D

MAX
05-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Dont Get Your Hopes Up Max.:D

You should talk the way your White Sox are stinkin' it up.

Dan
05-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey Now,Takes About 20 Games To warm Them Up.:D

MAX
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Yet another epic battle in the Bronx last night. I'm happy that Pap redeemed himself with the save this time. :)

MAX
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Another HR for Papi last night. :)

MAX
05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Now,Takes About 20 Games To warm Them Up.:D

Unfortunately, they're still losing. :(

Jagermeister
05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately, they're still losing. :(

That's cause they are not playing the Marlins. :)

chefcraig
05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
That's cause they are not playing the Marlins. :)

Believe it or not, the Marlins currently have a better record. The thing is, the Sox are hitting pretty well, it's their pitching that is getting them in trouble.

MAX
05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
That's cause they are not playing the Marlins. :)The Marlins are doin' ok, I thought?? Don't pay a shitload of attention to the NL. Your Cards are doing well. They're your team right?

Jagermeister
05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
The Marlins are doin' ok, I thought?? Don't pay a shitload of attention to the NL. Your Cards are doing well. They're your team right?

Yeah they beat the Marlins last night lol. I don't think that will happen again tonight. Marlins are good.

MAX
05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah they beat the Marlins last night lol. I don't think that will happen again tonight. Marlins are good.

K, I just looked...

You guys are in 1st within your division and they're in 2nd within theirs.

That's cool for both Craig and yourself. I'm happy for you guys. :)

Jagermeister
05-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Craig a cards fan?

chefcraig
05-20-2010, 04:51 PM
MAX, do you think the Sox can right the ship with a few trades before the late July deadline?

MAX
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Honestly, I don't see what would/could be any decent trades at this poit? Papi's adjusting and no longer clogging up the lineup. Lowell might opt to go somewhere where he could get more ballplay. Papelbon's going to be on the open market and he's a definite possiblity cos Bard's waiting in the wings but I fucking hope he goes nowhere cos he's my fave playah on The Sox. Beckett's struggling but and unfortunately, Theo just extended and signed him to a huge and multi-year deal.

I seriously don't see where we can move anyone?

chefcraig
05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Craig a cards fan?

To tell you the truth, long before we had the Marlins, we had the Cubs, at least when cable tv and WGN became available here in 1982. Before that we had Yankees games, once a week. Seeing Chicago, Harry Cary and Steve Stone everyday after work became a ritual for many South Floridians.

chefcraig
05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Honestly, I don't see what would/could be any decent trades at this poit? Papi's adjusting and no longer clogging up the lineup. Lowell might opt to go somewhere where he could get more ballplay. Papelbon's going to be on the open market and he's a definite possiblity cos Bard's waiting in the wings but I fucking hope he goes nowhere cos he's my fave playah on The Sox. Beckett's struggling but and unfortunately, Theo just extended and signed him to a huge and multi-year deal.

I seriously don't see where we can move anyone?

Yeah, I hear ya. I was really surprised at the commentary by some Sox fans had for Epstein, particularly after the guy essentially brought the team it's championships. It really seemed unfair, but I guess people feel they have to blame somebody. The thing is, he isn't blowing saves or fielding poorly, and if anyone can figure a way out of this mess, he'd be the guy. :(

MAX
05-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Craig, it's so funny tou mention the old WGN cable TV days cos that's why (well, MJ had something to do with it as well ;) ) I was such a huge Bulls fan in the 80's. lol Of course, we have the SPAZZ but I've just never rooted for 'em. Mainly cos I think our local fans are by far some of the biggest crybaby, poor sports around. Well, next to Wolfie within these forums but that's neither here nor there. lol

Seriously, attending any SPAZZ game, you're almost 100% guaranteed of getting into some sort of an altercation. Maybe it's cos they're all Mormon, concealing their beer drinking or they're too high on sugar? Dunno?

chefcraig
05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
:lmao::baaa:

MAX
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I was really surprised at the commentary by some Sox fans had for Epstein, particularly after the guy essentially brought the team it's championships. It really seemed unfair, but I guess people feel they have to blame somebody. The thing is, he isn't blowing saves or fielding poorly, and if anyone can figure a way out of this mess, he'd be the guy. :(

Personally, I tend to side with the nation... I don't much care for Theo cos I think he's made some dumb decisions. Letting go of Bay was fucking uncalled for and completely unnecessary. IMO He also passed on Damon this year and we could've gotten him back for virtually nothin'.

MAX
05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet. The Spanks lost the subway series and both ESPN and MLB Network are referring to the Sox as "surging" after they whooped Halladay and The Phillies (well, 2 -1) the last two games of the series. Watched the Mets/Spanks last night and it broke my heart watching Bay hit two hr's all whilst being pissed we let him go. :(

Dan's White Sox got killed yesterday by like 13 - 0!!! LMAO!!!

Bob_R
05-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Sweet. The Spanks lost the subway series and both ESPN and MLB Network are referring to the Sox as "surging" after they whooped Halladay and The Phillies (well, 2 -1) the last two games of the series. Watched the Mets/Spanks last night and it broke my heart watching Bay hit two hr's all whilst being pissed we let him go. :(

Uh oh. Now the Red Sux fans are coming out of the woodwork. :biggrin:

Thanks for watching. Sorry that we don't watch your games. :)

Dan
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

How Dare You.:D

MAX
05-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Uh oh. Now the Red Sux fans are coming out of the woodwork. :biggrin:

Thanks for watching. Sorry that we don't watch your games. :)

Uh oh, typical Spankmeefan rhetoric about "Uh, you must be a closet Skankfan cos you actually watch other baseball games..." bullshit.

Dude, I get a limited amount of games here and if/when I can watch another team bitchslap A-Roid (I fucking LOATHE that fucker with a passion!!!) and Co. You can bet your ass I'll watch it. Again, I fucking miss Bay!!! I was coinky dinkily wearin' his Ole Numbahh 44 Sox jersey last night as well. Think it helped him knock the two homers outta that park. You're Welcome. :D

Besides, what else was I going to watch last night, fucking Lost?? lol

You're welcome about my watching your game too buddy and if I help 'em stink even more, I'll watch more of 'em, deal?

Hey, speaking of watching games. Who's kicking the Mighty Rays collective asses at the moment? ;) :D

No ice cream for you.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dXvGSWAPHOE/SfgkKiXdTLI/AAAAAAAAAek/FvvAigZtE0A/s320/JohnGielgud-Arthur.jpg

Bob_R
06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.

MAX
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Yeah, that sucked. :(

I mean, they're all bein' classy about the post-game apologies, etc. I'd be pissed.

Bob_R
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Selig will not overturn it. It will not go down in history as a perfect game.

Hardrock69
06-04-2010, 01:20 PM
They are saying that Bud has not absolutely said he will not overturn it.

He should.

I see a lot of crap on the net about "They should not overturn it because everyone is human, and we all make mistakes".

BULLSHIT.

The rules of baseball are SPECIFIC.

IF the first baseman catches the ball thrown from another player and tags first base BEFORE the runner gets there, THE RUNNER IS OUT!

PERIOD!

END OF FUCKING STORY!

So what if the ump made a bad call? That does NOT erase the fact that the runner WAS out!!!

I do not post a lot in The Esteemed AlInChans Locker Room, but I am a fan of baseball to some degree.

What is right, is right. That is all there is to it!

Bud Selig needs to overturn the call with no blemish on the record books, and then he needs to institute new rules allowing for instant replay!

The rule books say nothing about umpires changing the rules of the game. The rule books lay out specific rules for the playing of the game, and nobody has the authority to change those rules except the commissioner of baseball, least of all an umpire.

NOW.....as to the positive side of this debacle, both Armando Galarraga (pitcher) and Jim Joyce (umpire) have acted as perfect gentlemen in this whole affair, demonstrating to the world what true sportsmanship and sportsmanlike conduct are.

A USA Today poll shows a majority of fans want the call overturned:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/06/poll-fans-want-umpire-jim-joyces-blown-call-overturned-for-armando-galarraga-expanded-instant-replay/1

Poll: Fans want umpire's blown call overturned, expanded instant replay
11:36 AM

Armando Galarraga is willing to overlook the blown call by an umpire that cost him a perfect game, but nearly two-thirds of baseball fans want the play reversed and the Tigers pitcher to have his place in baseball history.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup poll conducted Thursday, 64% of respondents who described themselves as baseball fans said Major League Baseball should overturn umpire Jim Joyce's safe call with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday against the Indians. The poll, which was based on 470 respondents who identified themselves as baseball fans, has a margin of error of 6%

Joyce, a 22-year veteran, admitted he got the call wrong and has apologized to Galarraga, who has forgiven the umpire and turned yet another high-profile umpire gaffe into a feel-good story. "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said Wednesday. "I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

Joyce's reaction has also garnered overwhelming support amongst fans, 84% of whom said they feel sympathetic toward the umpire.

Despites calls to overturn the base hit, Commissioner Bud Selig said in statement Thursday the matter was being reviewed but did not seem inclined to reverse the call. A high-ranking MLB official with knowledge of Selig's plans told USA TODAY the commissioner would not do so. The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter.

"Given (Wednesday's) call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features," Selig said in a statement.

On this point baseball fans agree with Selig. The USA TODAY/Gallup poll found that 78% of people said they believe Major League Baseball should expand the use of replay to include plays such as the one in Galarraga's one-hit shutout victory. The current system, implemented during the 2008 season, only determines whether potential home runs are over the wall or fair or foul.

"When does it stop, when does it start?" Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said of expanding replay. "Do you have a flag that you throw from the bench for challenges? There are always plays throughout the course of a game that you wish were called the other way, but it comes to the point, where does it start and where does it stop?"

By Peter Barzilai

One other positive note, the Detroit Tigers and Chevrolet gave a brand new Corvette anyway.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/perfect-gm-gives-chevrolet-corvette-to-detroit-pitcher-armando-galarraga/1

No perfect game, but GM gives Chevrolet Corvette to Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga
08:10 PM

Detroit Tiger players check out the new red Chevrolet Corvette given to Armando Galarraga by General Motors before the Detroit Tigers game Thursday, June 4, 2010 at Comerica Park in Detroit,
http://i50.tinypic.com/111qfc1.jpg

By KIRTHMON F. DOZIER, Detroit Free Press
Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians Wednesday night, but GM found his performance impressive enough in the Tigers' 3-0 shutout to hand him the keys to a 2010 Chevy Corvette convertible.

That's some consolation prize. But it couldn't be more deserved:

Galarraga retired 26 straight Indians' batters before the 27th and final batter, Jason Donald, stepped to the plate. Donald hit a ground ball between first and second base, which was fielded by Tiger's first baseman Miguel Cabrera. Cabrera threw to Galarraga, who stepped on first base, but umpire Jim Joyce blew the call and said Donald was safe. Galarraga had to settle for a 3-0 shutout.

Shortly after the game ended, Joyce admitted to missing the call at the base, saying, "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career." The umpire apologized to Galarraga last night.

GM North American President Mark Reuss found the performance impressive enough anyway. No matter what the record books say, Reuss decided Galarraga deserved recognition for his achievement.

One has to wonder what kind of car Galarraga would have gotten for a perfect game.

Bob_R
07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee. :appl:

Bob_R
07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Congrats to Nick Swisher for making the All-Star game.

Bob_R
07-27-2010, 01:53 PM
First no-hitter in Rays history last night. In front of 17,000 fans. :eek:

Green Manalishi
07-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Cool thread ! I LUVS me sum baseball ! I can't wait to see how the playoffs shake out this year . Been a Die Hard Cards fan since I was a little kid in the '60's . I appreciate baeball history and I have a respect for the game . I check the standings everyday , especially the National League . Looks like it's gonna be a dog fight down to the wire between the Reds and my Cards for the N. L. Central .

BITEYOASS
07-28-2010, 11:37 AM
You know what sucks about MLB in general nowadays? They won't allow you to listen to baseball games on local stations for free, WTF! Now they have you pay $19.95 a year for gameday audio, FUCK THAT! I can get a satellite radio sports package subscription for almost half that amount.

redblkwht
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee. :appl:
yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
ive just been reading up here -
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Bob_R
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
ive just been reading up here -
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Phils may be getting Oswalt.

High Life Man
07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Where's Adam Dunn going to end up?

Read the Yanks were sniffing around...

Green Manalishi
07-30-2010, 01:22 PM
The Phillies snatched up Roy Oswalt and he starts TONIGHT vs. the Washington Nationals . The post season push in the N. L. just got that much more intriguing .

Green Manalishi
08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like I was right about the N.L. Central coming down the wire and being a " dogfight " between the Reds and the Cards ! Go Cards !

Bob_R
09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Bye-bye Boston :hee:

Green Manalishi
09-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Minus Johnny " Kicks Like A Girl " Cueto and Brandon " I just can't stick enough of my foot in my big mouth " Phillips ,

I'm gonna say " Congradulations " to the Cincinnati Reds for winning the N. L. Central . They did what my underachieving ,

non-deserving Cardinals did not . May the N. L. have success this year .

I won't miss the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs this year because I can't stand the overbloated and incredibly one-sided

East Coast media . We're gonna hear more than enough about the New York Yankees making it and all the reasons why

Boston did not . Sooner than later one of the brilliant ass-kissing national network talking heads will say that there

just isn't that much nationwide interest in the playoffs simply because there will be no New York - Boston

showdown - Boo Hoo Hoo Waa .

Bob_R
10-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Roy Halladay just threw the second no-hitter in postseason history and the first since 1956. It was Halladay's first playoff game ever.

Bob_R
10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
My playoff prediction for the Division series:

Yanks in 4
Rays in 5
Phils in 4
SF in 5

Go Yankees!!!!

Dan
10-07-2010, 01:32 AM
How Dare You.:D

Bob_R
10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/w/images/thumb/2/2c/Broom_icon.svg/400px-Broom_icon.svg.png

Dan
10-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Go Yankees!!!! :D

Bob_R
10-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Go Yankees!!!!

Guitar Shark
10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Methinks Cliff Lee will get PAID this offseason. Wow.

I had a touching daddy/daughter moment while watching the game last night.

Her - "Who do we want to win?"
Me - "Texas"
Her - "But I thought you didn't like Texas"
Me - "I don't, but I hate the Yankees more. It's kind of like stubbing your toe. You don't like it, but it's better than colon cancer. Texas is only a stubbed toe, while the Yankees, well ... they are ass cancer."

Bob_R
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Good on you with the father/daughter moment. :)

I guess I'd be jealous too if another team had all that success.

Guitar Shark
10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Dude, I'm a fan of the Mariners and Seahawks. I don't know what "success" means. :)

P.S. Go Texas!

Green Manalishi
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Major congradulations to the Texas Rangers ( especially ! ) in the A.L. and the San Francisco Giants in the N.L. This will be a most interesting

World Series infused with some much needed and well deserved new blood .

During the Rangers - Yankees series I couldn't help but notice all the announcers were constant Yankees apologists because of the " tragedy "

( they actually said that ) of their losing . Why not give credit where credit is due and just congradulate the Texas Rangers on being the

superior team ? Good Gawd - the self absorbed East Coast media/press makes me ill . When will they realize the rest of the country

is not nearly as enamored with their teams as they think we are ? I can't wait to watch this World Series and may the best team win !

Guitar Shark
10-25-2010, 06:12 PM
What happened to Bob_R? :biggrin:

Hoping for a good series.

POJO_Risin
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I know I should be backing Cliff Lee and the Rangers...but there's something keeping me from rolling out the Rangers Welcome Mat just yet...

Cliff Lee is a beast...and he's going to be a Yankee...and it makes me fucking sick...

Von Halen
10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Cliff Lee will have to wait until next year to get his World Championship, when he's a YANKEE!

Bob_R
10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
What happened to Bob_R? :biggrin:

Hoping for a good series.

Been busy bro. Anyway.

I know exactly why the Yanks lost. Last year I hung up a Yankees flag on my house on or around April 1st and they won the World Series. Took it down right around Thanksgiving.

This year I never put it up. :(

Guitar Shark
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Cliff Lee is a beast...and he's going to be a Yankee...and it makes me fucking sick...

I had the pleasure of watching him in a Mariners uniform for the first half of this year. You probably did the same in Cleveland. The guy is incredible. I agree that he'll probably end up in the Bronx, but I'm still clinging to the smallest shred of hope that some other team - ANY other team - will find a way to make him a more attractive offer.

POJO_Risin
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
I had the pleasure of watching him in a Mariners uniform for the first half of this year. You probably did the same in Cleveland. The guy is incredible. I agree that he'll probably end up in the Bronx, but I'm still clinging to the smallest shred of hope that some other team - ANY other team - will find a way to make him a more attractive offer.

Yeah Shark...he's fucking tenacious. It's ironic...because the same thing that made him the Cy Young winner in 2008...is what sent him to the minors in 2007. He's damn good...the best fucking pitcher in baseball right now...and if he leads Texas to the title, he'll pull in something big...very fucking big...150 or more...

Bob_R
10-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah Shark...he's fucking tenacious. It's ironic...because the same thing that made him the Cy Young winner in 2008...is what sent him to the minors in 2007. He's damn good...the best fucking pitcher in baseball right now...and if he leads Texas to the title, he'll pull in something big...very fucking big...150 or more...

I think Cliff Lee is an excellent pitcher. But, I think Roy Halladay is the best pitcher. Don't get me wrong Lee is awesome and he pitches in the AL. Much better hitting there than the NL.

POJO_Risin
10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I think Cliff Lee is an excellent pitcher. But, I think Roy Halladay is the best pitcher. Don't get me wrong Lee is awesome and he pitches in the AL. Much better hitting there than the NL.

5-0 lifetime in the playoffs...and 3-0 against the Yanks...

but you can't argue with the regular season...

POJO_Risin
10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
So we'll call him the best lefty...;)

Bob_R
10-26-2010, 08:50 PM
5-0 lifetime in the playoffs...and 3-0 against the Yanks...

but you can't argue with the regular season...

So we'll call him the best lefty...;)

Deal. :)

TFM_Dale
10-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Hopefully we will be calling Lee a Tiger!

Not sure who to root for in the WS. I think it is pretty funny the Giants make it back with no Bonds and the Rangers make it over Gay-rods latest team. With it being the Rangers first time in the WS I'll probably pull for them but unless it is the Tigers I really don't care much, I just watch as a fan of the game.

chefcraig
10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Jesus, Lincecum barely got out of the first inning alive.

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 08:31 PM
He may not get out of the second...

Honestly...if Lee wins out in the Series...7-0 in the playoffs?

...and never losing to the Yanks in the big dances?

He ups his money by $20 mil...if he hasn't already...He may give big CC a run for his money...

no pun intended...

Guitar Shark
10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
This must be a mistake! From the box score...

"V Guerrero reached on infield single to first"

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 08:39 PM
VLAD HAS REGAINED HIS NEAR 40-40 FORM!!!!!

I wonder what ever happened to Pedro Guerrero?

Guitar Shark
10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I love that Cliff Lee had an extra base hit (double) too.

Bob_R
10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Do you guys know that Bengie Molina, Texas Rangers catcher who was acquired from the San Francisco Giants on July 1st, gets a ring no matter who wins the series.

I wonder if that's ever happened before?

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I have to believe that it has...although maybe not.

It's not like there was any player movement prior to say...1975 or so....

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Hmmm...and just like that...we have a fucking game...

Von Halen
10-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Fuck Cliff Lee!

His Championship will have to wait until next year, when he's a YANKEE!

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Fuck Cliff Lee!

His Championship will have to wait until next year, when he's a YANKEE!

Yawn...

Von Halen
10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Yawn...

Go to bed Poji.

Von Halen
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Why the fuck does the text in my posts show up at the top of the window if I just reply, but at the bottom of my window if it is a reply with a quote? That stupid fucking Jizzro really fucked this place up.I hope he's dead.

POJO_Risin
10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Go to bed Poji.

Ah VonPa...I'm still a young whippersnapper...I got hours left in the tank...

Bob_R
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Do you guys know that Bengie Molina, Texas Rangers catcher who was acquired from the San Francisco Giants on July 1st, gets a ring no matter who wins the series.

I wonder if that's ever happened before?

I have to believe that it has...although maybe not.

It's not like there was any player movement prior to say...1975 or so....

Found the answer to this.

Lonnie Smith is the only other player. Traded by St. Louis to Kansas City on May 17, 1985.

Bob_R
10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
The way SF has handled Texas and the fact that SF has handed Halladay, Oswalt, and Lee their first career postseason losses, I can't see the Giants not winning the series.

chefcraig
10-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I dunno...people keep yacking about Lee getting roughed up in the first game, but seem to overlook that Lincecum pretty much got shelled and committed some fairly dubious fielding errors. The Rangers pitching was horrible in the late innings last evening, but to me that comes down to managerial error in the placement of personnel on the mound more than human error or fatigue on the pitcher's behalf. And remember, this post season has seen the unprecedented anomaly of the road team doing better than the home team, so you'd think the Rangers would have done much better. Perhaps a return to home turf will even things up, yet at this point, it's sort of hard to imagine Texas winning 4 of the next 5 games, let alone 3 straight at home.

Von Halen
10-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Fuck the rump Rangers. Texas has bitched up. It's over. Lee will be a champion next year, in a YANKEE uniform!

Bob_R
10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
The 2010 World Series between the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers continues to deliver solid, if unspectacular, TV ratings for Fox Sports.

Through 2 games, Fox's World Series coverage is averaging an 8.7 rating, down 26% from the first 2 games of the New York Yankees-Philadelphia Phillies last year, but up 1% from Phillies-Tampa Bay Rays in 2008, says Fox spokesman Dan Bell.

The Giants' 9-0 victory in Thursday's Game 2 to take a 2-0 Series lead averaged an 8.5 TV rating and 14.1 million viewers. That's down 27% from last year's Game 2. But up 5% from Game 2 of Phillies-Rays, the lowest-rated Fall Classic.

The San Francisco market again led all major U.S. TV markets for Game 2, pulling a 36.4 rating, while the telecast drew a 30.9 rating in Dallas. Fox starts its coverage of Saturday night's Game 3 at 6:30 PM, the earliest starting time for a World Series telecast since 1987.

MLB commissioner Bud Selig told Sirius XM Radio's Chris "Mad Dog" Russo Thursday that Giants-Rangers will draw "great ratings" if it can build to a competitive 5-game, 6-game, or ideally, 7-game series.

"I have to tell you, the Giants and the Rangers are a great story," Selig said.

But Fox's World Series TV numbers are not out of the woods yet. Sunday's Game 4 and, if necessary, Monday's Game 5, will have to compete for viewers with NBC's Sunday Night Football and ESPN's Monday Night Football.

The NFL has been crushing its TV competition all season. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made clear this year his league would not step aside this Sunday night.

"We had obligations to NBC from a programming standpoint, and we felt it was best to continue on with that great franchise every night of the season and allow the consumer to be able to choose whether they want to watch Sunday Night Football or the World Series," Goodell said.

--Michael McCarthy

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...atings-down-/1

Von Halen
11-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry Rump Rangers. Cliff Lee should have been a Yankee THIS year! Ha ha! His ring will have to wait until next year, when he IS a Yankee!

Va Beach VH Fan
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Here's the best the Pirate fans get every year:

Congrats to Freddy Sanchez and Javier Lopez for winning the World Series....

Green Manalishi
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Congrats to the S. F. Giants and major kudos to Edgar Renteria ! Renteria's a wonderful baseball player and a bit of a good luck charm

as he has been involved with at least 3 ( ! ) recent World Series teams . I can attest to this because he was all too briefly a most wonderful

Cardinal . Thanx to the Giants for bringing it back to the N.L. !

Bob_R
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Congrats to the SF Giants for winning the World Series.

4 more days until Cliff Lee becomes a free agent. :)

Bob_R
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
World Series Ratings Top Monday Night Football, Not 'Dancing With the Stars'

There's good news and not-so-good news for FOX out of the ratings for Game 5 of the World Series.

On one hand, the fifth and deciding game of the Fall Classic grabbed a 10.6 rating and 16 share of the Nielsen audience and beat out "Monday Night Football," which got an 8.6 rating on ESPN. It was a decidedly different outcome than from Sunday, when Game 4 lagged behind "Sunday Night Football" on NBC.

However, the World Series failed to beat ABC's "Dancing With the Stars," television's No.1 rated show this season. "Dancing With the Stars" pulled in a 10.8/17, beating the San Francisco-Texas game by two percent.

It's thought that ratings for the 2010 World Series will beat out those of the 2008 Series between Philadelphia and Tampa Bay, which is the lowest rated Fall Classic in television history.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/02/world-series-ratings-top-monday-night-football-not-dancing-wit/

Bob_R
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Great news Yankees fans. Here's an excerpt from an article in one of today's local newspapers:

One person familiar with the Yankees' impending strategy with Lee said, "They're going to make it a no-brainer for Cliff and his family, so saying no would be crazy."

Von Halen
11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks Bob! Great news!

Bob_R
11-16-2010, 03:34 PM
This should've surprised no one. Roy Hallady won the NL Cy Young award.

Bob_R
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
King Felix won the AL Cy Young. I'm sure Sharks happy about that. :)

Va Beach VH Fan
11-18-2010, 04:49 PM
One person familiar with the Yankees' impending strategy with Lee said, "They're going to make it a no-brainer for Cliff and his family, so saying no would be crazy."

What a shocker....

POJO_Risin
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
It's a joke that the media is even saying other teams are involved...

There are NO other teams involved...

Kinda like the discussion about the Yanks not signing Jeter...

Guitar Shark
11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
King Felix won the AL Cy Young. I'm sure Sharks happy about that. :)

All hail King Felix!

We Mariners fans don't often get something to cheer about, so this is pretty special. It's also nice to see the BWAA recognize that "Wins" aren't truly relevant to pitcher performance. This year, the Mariners offense was HISTORICALLY awful, and yet Felix still won the Cy Young. That's progress.

Bob_R
11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Pojo you'd be interested to know (I think) that they are a few rumors flying around here on sportsradio today.

Rumor #1 The Yanks have offered Jeter a $63 million three year deal.

The consensus: Jeter should sign this deal immediately. No one else is going to give him $21 million a year and the deal would technically give him a raise.

Rumor #2 Jeter wants a 5 year deal for ARod money.

The consensus: No way. The Yankees will draw a line in the sand and if that's what he wants they will let him walk.

ARod was younger and was coming off a MVP season. Jeter is coming off his worse season.

Now remember this is what I heard on the sportsradio program that I enjoy listening to. As of an hour ago the info I just gave you is nowhere to be found on the Internet.

Now my own opinion. Though sometimes the apple doesn't fall from the tree, remember Hal Steinbrenner told ARod to talk a walk when he opted out a few years back. The Yankees will not give Jeter anything he wants. This may be alitttle more complicated than most think.

TFM_Dale
11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
No opposition to expanded playoff plan

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Commissioner Bud Selig's plan to expand baseball's playoffs to 10 teams gained a sense of inevitability after little to no opposition emerged during meetings this week with owners and general managers.

Selig said his special 14-man committee will discuss adding two wild-card teams when it meets Dec. 7 during the winter meetings in nearby Lake Buena Vista.

"We will move ahead, and move ahead pretty quickly," Selig said Thursday after three days of meetings concluded.

A change would have to be approved by owners, who next meet Jan. 12-13 in Paradise Valley, Ariz., and by the players' association, which has said it is open to the extra round. The additional games would also have to be sold to baseball's national television partners and slotted into a crowded schedule that has already pushed the World Series into November in the past two years.

Because baseball's labor contract runs to December 2011, the extra round of playoffs is not likely to start until 2012.

"I'm not going to rule out anything," Selig said. "We'll just proceed and whatever we decide, then we'll just see how fast we can get it done. Once we pass something, I'm always anxious to get it done."

Selig's committee includes managers Tony La Russa, Jim Leyland and Mike Scioscia and former manager Joe Torre.

There would be two wild-card teams in each league, and the wild-card teams would meet to determine which advances to division series with the three first-place teams in each league.

"I think it's definitely worth looking at. I have no problem with that," New York Yankees co-owner Hank Steinbrenner said.

Some would have the new round be best-of-three, and others would have it as a one-game winner-take-all game. The mechanics appear to be at issue more than the concept.

"I pretty much know where all the constituencies are now," Selig said. "Eight is very fair number but so is 10."

Before leaving the meeting, Texas Rangers president Nolan Ryan agreed with the premise that the extra round of playoffs was more a matter of how than if.

"I think that's right," he said.

Baseball doubled its postseason teams to four in 1969 and again to eight in 1995, a year later than intended because of a players' strike that wiped out the 1994 World Series. The vote to add wild cards first took place in September 1993.

"I got ripped and torn apart, and it was pretty bad," Selig said. "If I had defiled motherhood I don't think I could have gotten ripped any more than I did. But now it's fascinating to me. Now they not only like it so much, they want more of it."

The regular-season schedule will almost certainly not be reduced from 162 games.

"There's not much interest in that," he said.

Selig's committee will also discuss whether to expand video review of umpires' calls, which began in August 2008. Its use has been limited to whether potential home runs went over fences and were fair or foul. Selig has said he's against an expansion but willing to consider it.

"There are opinions everywhere on that," he said. "Managers have opinions. General managers have opinions. Owners have opinions. I want to hear them all and look at them."

A consensus also appeared to have developed to propose a slotting system for amateur draft picks and possibly a worldwide draft when collective bargaining begins next year.

While there is a sense that the NFL, NBA and NHL could be headed for labor strife, baseball players and owners anticipate stoppage-free bargaining. Baseball hasn't had a strike or lockout since the 7½-month walkout in 1994-95, and Selig termed current dealings with the union "a constructive relationship."

"Nobody ever could have dreamed we'd have 16 years of labor peace," Selig said. "In American labor history as I someday will say if I ever get around to writing my book, it probably was as a bad a relationship as ever existed."

Selig also said that baseball's revenue will total nearly $7 billion this year, a record. He also said he was declining comment on Anheuser-Busch's lawsuit against the sport, which accuses MLB of improperly trying to back out of an April agreement to extend the company's exclusive sponsorship deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5821797

TFM_Dale
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't like the idea of having 10 teams in the playoffs. After 162 games during the regular season why add another round of playoffs? Doesn't make sense to me but we all know it's all about money.

TFM_Dale
11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Will Arizona trade Justin Upton? Plus some other MLB thoughts from the Keith Law Blog

The Diamondbacks turned the hot stove upside down this week with word that they'd consider trading Justin Upton for the right deal, and I have since spoken with several senior executives from other clubs who indicated that the price is probably high but he is indeed available.

Upton will start 2011 as a 23-year-old and is signed to a deal that owes him $49.5 million for the next five years, with a limited no-trade clause that includes four teams. He was a deserving All-Star in 2009, before tiring badly in September, but lost some power in 2010 and seemed to catch the swing-and-miss malaise that infected the entire Arizona roster (although he improved his walk rate over 2009). He's an above-average defender in right field with a strong arm, and I think it's possible he could return to center field if he's traded, since he was moved to right to accommodate Chris Young and not through any failing of his own.

So why would Arizona GM Kevin Towers want to deal a franchise player who's locked up to a reasonable deal? Let's consider some factors:

1. He doubts Upton's on-field potential. This seems unlikely, as Towers is a former scout who values tools and Upton is a hardware store who was a No. 1 overall pick. He also posted a .388 on-base average in his age-21 season (2009). In the last 50 years, the only other players who've posted a .350/.500 OBP/SLG line at 21 or younger, as Upton did that year, are Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Miguel Cabrera, Ken Griffey Jr. and Cesar Cedeno. Rodriguez even followed up that year with a more severe dropoff than Upton saw in 2010. There are no guarantees, even with players of Upton's talent, but you don't walk away from that kind of skill set and performance cavalierly.

2. He doubts Upton's makeup. Most of the bad makeup reports about the younger Upton appear to stem from his brother's reputation, although I know there were some concerns about Justin's responsiveness to coaching in the spring of 2009, when he showed up with an altered swing that he didn't correct until a week into the season. He's not Milton Bradley, though, and if he's Gary Sheffield, well, that one worked out OK.

3. He questions Upton's ability to stay healthy. Upton has had problems with his left shoulder in each of the last two years, nothing major but perhaps enough to convince Towers and his staff that there's an underlying issue. I imagine any potential trade partner would want to do extra due diligence on Upton for that reason.

4. He wants to win in 2011 and can't do it without trading Upton. In other words, Towers, who is on a two-year contract, figures he can trade the long-term potential of Upton for players with shorter-time horizons (fewer years to free agency for more guaranteed immediate performance). Given how available Upton appears to be, this seems like it must be at least part of the motivation, as there is no good long-term rationale (that we know of as outsiders) for trading Upton when he has yet to reach his peak and is signed to a reasonable deal that will be cheap if he hits his ceiling.

I imagine it's a lot of No. 4, given Towers' short window and public statements about making the team competitive in 2011, and some of Nos. 1 or 3, too. But even if he is skeptical about Upton, other GMs won't be. Players of Upton's talent rarely come on the market before free agency, at which point many clubs are priced out, and a trade now represents a rare opportunity for a team to acquire a potential star early in his ascent.

Based on those conversations with rival executives, I think Towers will ask for at least two players with major league experience, who can help the Diamondbacks in 2011, plus two others from the other team's farm system. It's a high price, but if you believe, as I do, that Upton will be one of the best players in the game by the time he's 26 or 27, it's justified.

Around the league

• MLB appears headed for a further devaluation of the regular season and its own history by expanding the playoffs to include two more teams, which will be as blatant a money-grab as you'll see short of franchise expansion. I look forward to the Tigers and Rangers hosting American League Division Series games on Thanksgiving in a few years.

• The Astros picked up Clint Barmes, who can play some defense but is an atrocious hitter, in exchange for erratic but hard-throwing Felipe Paulino. I could see Paulino having some success in a relief role, although that lefties torch him -- he's faced 399 left-handed batters in his major league career and 161 (over 40 percent) have reached base -- limits his value ... but I'd take him over Barmes eight days a week.

• I've seen this mentioned on Twitter, on Fangraphs and in the next item, but it bears repeating: Felix Hernandez' victory in the Cy Young voting isn't a victory for new statistics but for a better philosophy. Hernandez led the AL in such decidedly pedestrian statistics as ERA and innings pitched and was second in strikeouts, traditionally a recipe not just for votes but for a lot of wins, if you're not relying on the 1899 Cleveland Spiders' offense for support. King Felix' coronation is more a recognition that the old way of identifying pitcher quality through won-lost records first and maybe ERA second is dumb and that we need to think about what a pitcher can control and what he can't. There's no single stat that put Hernandez over the top, nor is there a single stat that beats all others for accurately measuring pitcher performance. But voters thought about this year's AL Cy candidates differently than they did five years ago, and that is good news for serious fans of the game.

• Joe Posnanski chimes in that the win isn't really dead. I picture the win slung over ERA's shoulder, groaning, "I'm not dead." I'd be glad to give ERA a little help.

• By the way, one last thought on yesterday's AL Cy Young announcement: Did you know that "oldfangled" is a word? I had no idea until I wrote this article, but I'm definitely going to start referring to useless accounting statistics like pitcher wins, saves and RBI as "oldfangled."

• The Asian Games are going on right now, with South Korea facing Taiwan in the baseball final on Friday. If the Koreans win, Shin-Soo Choo, the lone major league player on the team, will earn an exemption from military service that might otherwise have interrupted his major league career. (Ed's Note: South Korea has won.)

• Michael Schmidt of the New York Times reported on a disturbing (to me, at least) trend of investors in "Latin American baseball futures" -- in effect, funding trainers and academies in the Dominican Republic who identify players and take as much as half of their signing bonuses if and when they turn pro. It's disturbing because it's totally unregulated and has significant potential to defraud investors and to transfer money to those wealthy investors that would normally have gone to the players' families.

• The Yankees signed the latest Dominican mystery man, Jose Rafael DePaula, according to SI's Melissa Segura.He's touched 96 mph in the past and has an upper-70s curveball with good arm speed on his changeup, according to scouts who've seen him. He failed an age investigation, eventually admitting he's 19 and had used a false name previously, but other than that he's a wonderful guy.

• Great stuff on a great blog, as Beyond the Box Score looks at pitchers getting wide zones from umpires.

• Sabernomics blogger -- and econ professor -- J.C. Bradbury argues for Albert Pujols as baseball's first $40 million man. I don't see it, myself. Pujols will play at 31 years old in 2011 and will likely decline at least somewhat over the course of a six- or seven-year contract, and getting him to $40 million of value would require aggressive salary inflation. The Cardinals are not the Yankees, and their front office is too business-savvy to take on that kind of expensive risk.

• In other sports-related news: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the series of articles I wrote this week for mental_floss on board games, including yesterday's piece on the history of the growing cult favorite Settlers of Catan, which remains among our favorites even as our collection of "German-style" board games has grown.

chefcraig
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Brilliant. So instead of the post-season merely extending into November, now it will stretch beyond Thanksgiving. When are professional sports organizations going to realize that less is indeed more? Expanding play dates accomplishes two things: A.) It puts more money in the owner's pockets and B.) It dilutes the talent pool.

Wanna give the fans more quality? Then don't add more games, reduce the fuckin' ticket prices for the ones already in existence. Yeah, like that is gonna happen. :duh:

TFM_Dale
11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Drayton McLane ready to sell Astros

Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane is putting his franchise up for sale.

The 74-year-old McLane said he's retained the New York investment firm Allen and Company to help him unload the team he purchased in November 1992 for about $117 million.

KRIV-TV first reported McLane's agreement with the investment firm. Steve Greenberg, son of Hall of Fame slugger Hank Greenberg, is the firm's managing director.

McLane met with team employees on Friday before making a formal announcement at a news conference at Minute Maid Park. His wife, Elizabeth, and two adult sons, Drayton III and Denton, sat in the front row.

"It's time to change and move forward," McLane said. "It's been a wonderful experience and a great ride."

Greenberg said McLane has not settled on an asking price, nor does he have a specific buyer in mind. But Greenberg said he's already fielded inquiries.

"The Astros are a great sports franchise in a great city," Greenberg said. "It's a lot of work, it takes time, but I think we'll have a good result."

In August, an investment group led by former Astros pitcher Nolan Ryan purchased the Texas Rangers through an unusual bankruptcy auction for $593 million -- about $100 million more than its starting bid. Ryan's group beat out a group of investors led by Houston businessman Jim Crane and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"No interest in buying the Astros," Cuban said in an e-mail to ESPNDallas.com.

Greenberg said the Rangers sale will have little bearing on the price tag for the Astros.

"The market will really determine what it is," Greenberg said. "Baseball is in great shape, and the Astros are a great franchise. So, we'll let the market determine the price. We're not going to set any price. We'll let people come to us and tell us what they think."

While McLane and Greenberg answered questions, work crews installed a new scoreboard at Minute Maid Park, the Astros' home since the 2000 season. McLane is pouring $12 million into stadium renovations, one enticement for a potential buyer.

Another big selling point is the team's new deal with the NBA's Houston Rockets to create a regional sports network that will begin airing Rockets games in 2012 and Astros games in the 2013 season.

Greenberg said the establishment of the regional TV network boosts the Astros' value immensely.

"The television deal puts it in the class with the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox and a handful of others who have their own cable television outlet," Greenberg said. "It enhances the overall asset. It creates growth and stability on the television side, that otherwise would be dependent on some third-party to deliver for you."

McLane, who made his fortune running the family's wholesale grocery business, has been considering selling the team for at least two years.

He turned down an offer from Crane in October 2008 and was approached by an investment group a year later. McLane gave the group an exclusive 30-day negotiating window to make him an offer, but no deal ever materialized.

McLane said his decision to finally fully commit to selling the team was based mostly on family considerations.

"We're just firing the pistol today," he said. "We had gone along for 18 years, and how our family needs to look at it, we just need to do stronger strategic financial planning for the future."

McLane emphasized Friday that he's in no rush to sell the team. He said the process could take "three months or three or four years." Greenberg said the normal timeline for such a deal runs about six to 12 months.

McLane is a fixture at Astros home games, sitting in the front row behind home plate. The franchise, which will play its 50th season in 2011, has reached unprecedented success with McLane as the owner, making the playoffs six times in the last 14 years.

The Astros won the NL Central in 1997, '98, '99 and 2001 and earned wild-card berths in 2004 and '05. But Houston has finished with a losing record in three of the past four seasons, and attendance has dwindled as the team has moved forward after the departure of its most recognizable stars.

Team icons Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio were both gone by the 2008 season, and Houston traded pitching ace Roy Oswalt and five-time All-Star Lance Berkman in 2010.

Houston ranked 16th in home attendance in 2010, averaging 28,783 fans. The Astros drew an average home crowd of 37,318 in 2006.

McLane painted a positive outlook for the future, though, starting with the team's young nucleus of talent. He also mentioned the team's charitable contributions to the Houston community and the franchise's expanded presence in the Dominican Republic.

McLane said the sale won't affect the team's operations, particularly on the major league side.

"It's going to be business as usual," McLane said. "This has certainly been in the back of my mind and Elizabeth's mind. So we're continuing to run the team. It will be full-speed ahead."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5826885

TFM_Dale
11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Victor Martinez to Tigers

Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday.

Two weeks ago, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein expressed his strong interest in re-signing Martinez and third baseman Adrian Beltre. But he acknowledged competition for the players.

"It always comes down to dollars and years," Epstein said.

Martinez will receive a four-year deal for $50 million, according to Venezuelan reporter Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional, who first reported the agreement. Martinez made $7.7 million last season.

The Red Sox offered Martinez a choice of a three-year, $36 million deal or a four-year contract for $42 million, according to a major league source. The source said the Red Sox had not been informed of Martinez's decision, but the team was not surprised to hear that he would play elsewhere.

The Orioles and White Sox were also outbid, according to the El Nacional report.

Assuming the Red Sox offer Martinez arbitration, they will receive two draft picks for their Type-A free agent signing elsewhere.

Martinez is a lifetime .300 switch hitter who batted .302 with 20 home runs and 79 RBIs in his second season with the Red Sox. Boston had acquired him in July 2009 from the Cleveland Indians for Justin Masterson and minor leaguers Bryan Price and Nick Hagadone.

The 31-year-old Martinez is a four-time All-Star who also plays first base.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5842176

TFM_Dale
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Victor Martinez to Tigers

Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday.

Two weeks ago, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein expressed his strong interest in re-signing Martinez and third baseman Adrian Beltre. But he acknowledged competition for the players.

"It always comes down to dollars and years," Epstein said.

Martinez will receive a four-year deal for $50 million, according to Venezuelan reporter Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional, who first reported the agreement. Martinez made $7.7 million last season.

The Red Sox offered Martinez a choice of a three-year, $36 million deal or a four-year contract for $42 million, according to a major league source. The source said the Red Sox had not been informed of Martinez's decision, but the team was not surprised to hear that he would play elsewhere.

The Orioles and White Sox were also outbid, according to the El Nacional report.

Assuming the Red Sox offer Martinez arbitration, they will receive two draft picks for their Type-A free agent signing elsewhere.

Martinez is a lifetime .300 switch hitter who batted .302 with 20 home runs and 79 RBIs in his second season with the Red Sox. Boston had acquired him in July 2009 from the Cleveland Indians for Justin Masterson and minor leaguers Bryan Price and Nick Hagadone.

The 31-year-old Martinez is a four-time All-Star who also plays first base.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5842176

I like this signing, wish we could have done it for 3 years but you have to pony up for the player you want.

Bob_R
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I knew the Yanks were going to play hardball.

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Tuesday that the Yankees have made a "fair and appropriate" contract offer to Derek Jeter and suggested that if the 36-year-old shortstop thinks otherwise, he should shop himself around to find out.

"We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account," Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com. "We've encouraged him to test the market and see if there's something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That's the way it works."

Cashman was clearly stung by the recent statement of Jeter's agent, Casey Close, who was quoted in Sunday's New York Daily News as saying he was "baffled" by the team's negotiating strategy.

"I was certainly was surprised," Cashman said in regards to Close's use of the word baffled. "There's nothing baffling about our position. We have actually gone directly face to face with Casey and Derek and been very honest and direct. They know exactly where we sit."

Cashman would not provide specifics of the team's offer but sources have confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com that it is a three-year contract at $15 million per season. Nor would Cashman discuss the demands being made by Jeter other than to say, "You can write that they have asked for more. More years and more money."

Cashman said there are no further meetings scheduled between the two sides, although he did speak to Close on Monday night to inform him the Yankees would not be offering Jeter arbitration.

If the Yankees had offered arbitration, the shortstop could have accepted a one-year salary set by an arbitrator or signed elsewhere. If he walked, the Yankees would have received two draft picks. But by offering the Yanks risked a hearing based on Jeter's 2010 salary of $21 million, considerably more than they are willing to pay him for 2011.

Two weeks ago, owner Hal Steinbrenner acknowledged that the talks to retain Jeter, who is coming off a 10-year, $189 million conteact as well as the worst offensive season of his career, "might get messy."

It appears that point has been reached. Although Cashman repeated the Yankees oft-stated position that they want Jeter back and intend to sign him to a new multiyear deal, the GM acknowledged that "defining 'fair' is a real issue here."

The reluctance of the Yankees to offer Jeter more than three years reflects the team's concerns with his performance both at bat and in the field this past season. Jeter's batting average fell to .270 and his on-base percentage to .340, both the lowest since he became an everyday player in 1996.

"We've made an offer and we hope they strongly consider it," Cashman said. "[But] there are things we have concerns with -- his recent performance over the last few years, and his age. And that has to be factored into this negotiation."

Close did not respond to requests for comment but sources told ESPNNewYork.com last week that Jeter is seeking a minimum of four more years and perhaps as much as six more, at approximately $20 million per season.

"We believe that Derek Jeter is the best person to play shortstop for this franchise moving forward," Cashman said. "Do we want to lose Derek Jeter? No. Do we want to treat Derek Jeter fair? Absolutely. Do we want to be treated fair at the same time? No question about it.''

"We're going to do everything we possibly can to put the best winning team on the field," Cashman added. "We feel Derek Jeter gives us the best chance to win. But we're not dealing with Derek alone. We're dealing with our closer, we're trying to add to our club, and if putting all out eggs into one basket takes away from our ability to add to our club, I ain't gonna do it."

Asked if there was any chance the negotiation could fall apart and Jeter could somehow wind up in a different uniform next year, Cashman said, "Not from us. We would like Derek Jeter to be a Yankee and we're making our best efforts to keep that in play. But it takes two."

Cashman said the nature and tenor of the negotiation was no different from any other aside from the name of the player involved.

"I think every negotiation is different and every negotiation is difficult," he said. "Every negotiation you have to have hard conversations and some of the negotiations conclude in a successful marriage. Others don't. That's the way it works."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5843151

Bob_R
12-02-2010, 05:10 PM
The New York Yankees informed Derek Jeter's agent, Casey Close, on Thursday that the team was willing to improve its original three-year, $45 million offer, according to sources close to the negotiations.

The Associated Press reported that the team did submit an improved offer but could not say whether the money or years had been improved.

There have been several reports in recent days that the team was open to slightly increasing the number of dollars in its offer, though not necessarily guaranteeing more than three years.

The two sides have been talking from late Wednesday into Thursday, continuing the face-to-face conversation they had Tuesday in Tampa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5875965

POJO_Risin
12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Red Sox and Angels reportedly tried to sign Rivera...looks like he's about to sign a 3-year deal...

POJO_Risin
12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
with the yankees

TFM_Dale
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Sources: Adam Dunn Agrees With White Sox

The Chicago White Sox have finalized a four-year, $56 million deal with free-agent slugger Adam Dunn, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The deal is pending a physical, which is scheduled for Friday morning, and is not expected to be announced until later in the day.

A baseball source said the Dunn signing does not preclude the White Sox from trying to re-sign Paul Konerko and that Dunn was attracted to the team in part by the possibility of playing in the same lineup with the veteran first baseman.

Chicago general manager Kenny Williams pursued Dunn at the trade deadline in July without success. The team also spoke to Dunn's representatives at the recent general manager meetings, sources told ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine.

Dunn, 31, ranks second in the major leagues to Albert Pujols since 2004 with 282 home runs. He hit .260 with 38 homers and 103 RBIs for the Washington Nationals last season.

Although Dunn has expressed an interest in staying in the National League and continuing to play first base, most scouts consider him better suited to the designated hitter role at this stage of his career.

The designated hitter spot was a major concern for the White Sox last season. Manager Ozzie Guillen's DH contingent hit only 18 home runs and logged a .728 aggregate OPS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5875860