PDA

View Full Version : HOLY FUCKING KRAP!!!!! I saw DRI Last Night!

Hardrock69
03-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Place: The Muse - Nashville, TN

The band? Dirty Rotten Imbeciles.

The Review:

I had never seen them before. I believe I saw one or two videos on MTV back in the 80s, and I certainly saw the vid they had on Beavis & Butthead.
I had friends in the 80s who were fans of theirs, and I used to also see ads for their albums in the rock mags of the day.

Fast forward to last night.

Got to the club early. There were 4 local bands opening. One got added at the last minute, I do not know why, but so what? They were all pretty damn good, one of them (NoiseCult) more of a metal band (friends of mine who kick fucking ass!), and the other three played pretty much a combination of Hardcore/Punk music.

Then came DRI.

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF THE GODS!!!!

The club was pretty small. Capacity of the band room could not possibly be more than about 60-70, but it was packed.

They played a LONG set. At least 2 fucking hours. Extremely fast. Songs that were not typical punk stuff where you are looking at 2 minutes tops, but lengthy incredibly complicated stuff. PunkMetalThrash on crack and acid!

I was FLOORED! The mosh pit was fucking intense the entire set! Crowd went motherfucking apeshit!

After it was all said and done, everyone I spoke with all had the same kind of comment. Stuff like "I am trying to find my jaw, I left it on the floor somewhere!!", "I can't believe what I just saw!", "the most kickass show I have seen in years!"

I personally have seen very few shows in my life of ANY kind that had HALF the intensity these muthas brought to the table.

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING MINDBLOWING!

HERE THEY ARE IN ALL THEIR MUTHAFUCKKING RADIOACTIVE GLORY!!

_________________Harald_________________________ Kurt__Rob____________________________________ Spike
http://i40.tinypic.com/2d7z2f.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/309mq13.jpg

Harald is a fucking nutcase! :biggrin: I discovered early on that if he saw a camera pointing his way, he became a klown. Here he is in a rather contemplative moment.:hee:
http://i41.tinypic.com/s4unf8.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qva6gm.jpg

Spike concentrating on kicking ass!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2z565wz.jpg

After the show, I found Harald and Spike to be truly cool and down to earth dudes. I pretty much insisted they play here again. The club owner wants them back as well.

I say if you think you have seen intense but have never seen Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, then you have not seen shit. Well, perhaps unless you have seen Slayer, lol.

I wish I had seen them years ago. Just glad now I got to see them!

Panamark
03-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Sounds Grate ! Except when I read the thread title I thought
you said you saw DLR last night.. The old brain filling in the
blanks again... I bet these guys go down a treat on The Beale !

binnie
03-29-2010, 04:15 AM
One of the most furious bands I've ever heard on record - never had the pleasure of seeing 'em live.

Cheers for the review!

Hardrock69
03-29-2010, 05:01 AM
I bet these guys go down a treat on The Beale !

Funny you should say that, they played in Memphis tonight. Hope the crowd was as good to them there as they were here.

BruinJer
03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Love DRI... great pics!

Diamondjimi
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Fucking awesome band,HR. Been a fan of theirs since the early 80's.
Saw them around '85 in a small club in Toronto that probably held 150 . The opening band was a group from Ontario named The Nunfuckers, great name, they rocked.
It was summer, hot as fuck, and the walls were sweating. D.R.I. takes the stage and the stage lights blew up after 2 songs. So they bring out two 100 watt lamps and carry on.
The mosh pit was extremely fast and furious. Railed off table area's were pummeled into toothpicks. The band played great and the place reeked of sweat and beer. Crossed paths with the drummer before the show, he asked me if I had any acid I could sell him... :biggrin: I didn't of course and I don't think I would've wanted to be on it that night. I did end up drinking about 16 beers and we all finished the night drunk,sweaty and bruised.

Great to hear they still bring it. Hope they come up to Ontario again. Cool pix, btw! ;)

Hardrock69
03-29-2010, 08:08 PM
To be honest I am sorta disappointed. Harald especially made some great faces, but a lot of the pics were out of focus. Kinda tough when having to use a manual focus lens, while shooting around a crowd of people all trying to see the same thing you are.

Most of the photos I was standing outside the club shooting in through a doorway with people coming and going and all trying to see what was going on.

At one point, a chick who had been sitting directly in front of the PA cabs left. I immediately shoved my way in through the door and sat in her place, figuring I could get a lot of good closeups. Wrong move. I forgot to put in my earplugs, and my skull was bashed by 130 db. I got up and ran back out the door. I am sure I made my hearing worse by doing that.
Woulda had more great shots if I had a shorter focal length lens with a larger aperture, but I can't complain. By the time they come back I will have some better lenses and will have more time in shooting bands in low-light/no-light clubs. I especially want to shoot Harald again. Kickass musicians who are also insane comedians are great subject material, to say the least! :D

SparkieD
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Man, I have loved them since I was just a teenybopper. The one time I saw them was probably the most fun I've had at a show. The pit was definitely brutal. I'm glad I was surrounded by friends cuz I know I would have broken something otherwise.

Back in the day, some buds of mine had a hardcore band. Their bass player was an unreliable piece of shit so I'd fill in for him almost every weekend my senior year in high school. We always played at least five or six DRI covers.

Diamondjimi
03-30-2010, 12:47 AM
The mosh pits back in the day were way cooler than they are today. Back then you rarely ever hit the ground before there would be a couple of hands pulling you back to your feet whether it would be by your arms or the scruff of your shirt (if you were still wearing one).

Today the pits seem like an excuse for people to be goons or assholes intent on inflicting pain instead of the camaraderie of the early wave of moshers...

conmee
04-02-2010, 03:22 AM
DRI brings back memories, growing up in the SoCal punk scene... Saw Agent Orange, Bad Religion, Black Flag, DRI, TSOL, haven't seen DRI since 1982/1983 maybe... have seen Agent Orange and Bad Religion in the past few years, actually Bad Religion is playing down here in Anaheim this weekend or was it last... I forget...

Excellent review!

That is all.

Icon

Hardrock69
04-04-2010, 01:58 AM
When I lived in LA, I and several other dudes would gather at a friend's house to watch the Mikey Tyson PPV matches (1990-91). One of the guys was in Bad Religion. Never saw them play though. Right around that time they were being banned for the insanity that occurred during their shows.