PDA

View Full Version : IOMMI, GILLAN/IOMMI's Book/Born Again Reissue

Mr Walker
04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
TONY IOMMI, IAN GILLAN To Collaborate On New Music - Apr. 1, 2010
Legendary heavy metal guitarist Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL) has revealed to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine that he will collaborate on new music with his former SABBATH bandmate, singer Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE). Iommi tells the magazine, "Ian was at [my place] a few weeks back, and we put a couple of tracks down, just to try and raise some money for Armenia.

"We raised some money 20 years ago and we wanted to do it again, to be able to buy stuff.

"We went over a few months ago because they gave us an Order Of Honor from the president and so Ian and I went over and Pat Cash came. They showed us what the money had bought. They showed us this old music school; it was freezing and the kids had no instruments so we bought them some new instruments — drums and guitars — and we want to build a new school for the kids.

"We're going to do a few songs and, hopefully, we can raise the money to afford to buy them a new school.

"The plans are quite open at the moment.

"We've talked about doing a couple of shows out there, but it's about working round what we are both doing — because we [HEAVEN & HELL] hope touring will start again soon."

In October 2009, Gillan and Iommi were awarded the Orders Of Honor — which were delivered to them by Prime Minister of Armenia Tigran Sargsyan — for the Armenia Grateful To Rock program (see video below). The objective of the program, was to express gratitude to those musicians who 20 years ago participated in the Rock Aid Armenia.

In 1989, within the framework of Rock Aid Armenia, the British rock stars recorded DEEP PURPLE's classic "Smoke On The Water" and also released a disc called "Rock Aid Armenia".

ELVIS
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM
"Let's get it out! We will swing and enjoy ourselves!"

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/346/3469132/29_2009/50b9592ad7e85355_wild.jpg

:elvis:

Anonymous
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
That's MISTER Tony Iommi.

You didn't serve in the army with Mr. Iommi, did you?

Anyways, that's EXCELLENT news.

Cheers! :bottle:

kissfan1976
04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
You guys ever hear the Born Again album demos?
A track called The Fallen should have been on the official release.

binnie
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Anything Iommi does is usually interesting, but I can't get excited about Gillan these days.......

jhale667
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
"Zero the Hero" on Born Again rocks...(and it's the riff Slash and Izzy stole for "Paradise City")

binnie
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd never made that connection before J......

jhale667
04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd never made that connection before J......

I'd always thought the riffs were quite similar, and recently saw an interview where one of them admitted to it...I was like "I KNEW it!!!" ;)

ELVIS
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
You guys ever hear the Born Again album demos?
A track called The Fallen should have been on the official release.

Had it for years...

Good call!!!

chefcraig
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd always thought the riffs were quite similar, and recently saw an interview where one of them admitted to it...I was like "I KNEW it!!!" ;)

No kiddin'? I'd always thought that the two riffs were suspiciously similar. Not that the riffs on "Appetite" were exactly revolutionary to begin with. ;)

FORD
04-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Is this an April Fools joke, or are we really going to see a Purple Sabbath reunion?

I'm all for it myself. "Born Again" was the last studio album worthy of the Sabbath name. (At least until the Dio lineup reunited for Dehumanizer)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sEawt270iGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sEawt270iGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kissfan1976
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I have a radio interview with Ian Gillan from 10 years ago and he claims to have the master tapes from the Born Again sessions.
He says he's never cared for the final mix of the album so maybe him and Tony will get around to remixing it soon.

also, I have yet to hear it but Tony & Ian re-recorded TRASHED on Ian's career retrospective cd GILLAN'S INN, a few years back.

FORD
04-01-2010, 05:35 PM
also, I have yet to hear it but Tony & Ian re-recorded TRASHED on Ian's career retrospective cd GILLAN'S INN, a few years back.

Found it....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpyahm3RmVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpyahm3RmVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gotta say I like the original better, even though this one left the crappy synthesizers off. Tony & Gillan sounded better on the original. And Geezer's bass was better than Glover's.

Terry
04-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Born Again fuckin' ROCKED.

No two ways about that.

However, I doubt Gillan could reach the notes he hit on that album these days short of having a belly full of jet fuel and his ass strapped to a rocket.

Bill Lumbergh
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sick of that record getting shit on all these years....

tojoro
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Born Again is just a fat-assed slab of chunky goodness...I would have been interested in another album with Ian...just to see.
I've heard a lot about 'The Fallen' but never actually heard it.
If I had to replace a song on BA, it would be 'Digital Bitch'.
Everything else was gold.
Geezer's mix was the perfect demo to test out speakers, that's for sure!:)

chefcraig
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM

In terms of full disclosure here, when the album was released, I was one of those that slammed it. At that time, I was 22 years old, and as everyone is aware, when you are 22 you not only know everything there is to know about life on this planet, you are also gifted with an obnoxious mouth that allows you to tell everyone else what you think. Based upon purely adolescent memories, this album was expected to fulfill shoes that no mortal could. I mean, come on...the throat from 'Purple fronting Sabbath? Awesome!

Oddly enough, this is the one post-Dio Sabbath project that stands up to repeated listening. The keyboards (dismissed as too heavy at the time of release) actually work in the album's favor. The overall playing by the band shows a subtle and inspired touch, when they could have gotten away with slamming out a bunch of riffs for Gillan to wail over and calling it a record. And even with the by now dated eighties recording techniques, the album sounds freshly recorded.

The dismally recorded live shows from this period that I own show a band aware of it's legacy, yet willing to take the piss now and then. And pulling off a Sab's version of "Smoke On The Water" is not only a nice gesture to the fans, it was a pretty ballsy thing to do at shows sometime in 1983.

If you can find this CD, by all means pick it up. My copy is a home pressing, from the original vinyl, and it still sounds amazing.

Panamark
04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
"Zero the Hero" on Born Again rocks...(and it's the riff Slash and Izzy stole for "Paradise City")

Yeah ~!!

Now that you mention it !
Yet I had never thought about it before.
Good call....

Great Song too....

Hope not to get flamed for this, but to me, Born Again
is better than some of the DIO / Sabbath stuff...

One of those freaky one off albums, Im not convinced
a sequel would have been anywhere near as good...

tojoro
04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
It'd be nice for Tony to do a one-off and give this album the deluxe treatment.
I assume he's still mates with Ian?
Unless, of course, any projects under the Sabbath name are currently on hold due to the current legalities involving Ozzy:(

kissfan1976
04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Found it....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpyahm3RmVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpyahm3RmVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gotta say I like the original better, even though this one left the crappy synthesizers off. Tony & Gillan sounded better on the original. And Geezer's bass was better than Glover's.

Plus you need Bill Ward pounding the drums.
Yeah, IMO it's a pretty weak version.

Terry
04-01-2010, 11:08 PM

That album is the fucking bomb.

Geezer Butler's bass THUNDERS out of the speakers throughout.

Bill Ward flails like it is his last stand.

Iommi throws out one killer riff after another, and solos like a banshee.

Gillan...holy fuck! I mean, no small wonder his voice sounded a little ragged on the DP MK2 reunion album Perfect Strangers a year or so later. The man screamed so fucking much on Born Again it sounded like he blew out an o-ring. Sounds like he's literally shredding his larynx at the end of Hot Line.

Gotta love the mix on that record as well. Deep, rich and booming, with the guitar leads boosted on the high end of the eq spectrum and just shrieking. Check out Trashed, where the solo leaps out of the speakers, sounding like walking through a machine shop producing at full bore, cranked to 200 decibels...with no earplugs to protect you from the sonic assault.

That Born Again tour was one of the first concerts I ever went to. Quiet Riot was opening, and Metal Health was selling like hotcakes. You know, when Cum On Feel The Noize was being played on the radio and MTV every five minutes? Well, QR put on a flaccid show, and Sabbath came out and tore the fucking place apart. Butler's bass was so loud live it felt like somebody was stomping on your lungs...the sound reverberated throughout your entire skeletal system.

Good times, good show, great album.

Terry
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
In terms of full disclosure here, when the album was released, I was one of those that slammed it. At that time, I was 22 years old, and as everyone is aware, when you are 22 you not only know everything there is to know about life on this planet, you are also gifted with an obnoxious mouth that allows you to tell everyone else what you think. Based upon purely adolescent memories, this album was expected to fulfill shoes that no mortal could. I mean, come on...the throat from 'Purple fronting Sabbath? Awesome!

Oddly enough, this is the one post-Dio Sabbath project that stands up to repeated listening. The keyboards (dismissed as too heavy at the time of release) actually work in the album's favor. The overall playing by the band shows a subtle and inspired touch, when they could have gotten away with slamming out a bunch of riffs for Gillan to wail over and calling it a record. And even with the by now dated eighties recording techniques, the album sounds freshly recorded.

The dismally recorded live shows from this period that I own show a band aware of it's legacy, yet willing to take the piss now and then. And pulling off a Sab's version of "Smoke On The Water" is not only a nice gesture to the fans, it was a pretty ballsy thing to do at shows sometime in 1983.

If you can find this CD, by all means pick it up. My copy is a home pressing, from the original vinyl, and it still sounds amazing.

Don't know WHY this album hasn't gotten an official cd release stateside (unsure if it got one in the UK or not).

Friend of mine burned a copy from the net. Just in time, too, as my 25 year old cassette of that record was just about to shit the bed.

Terry
04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Plus you need Bill Ward pounding the drums.
Yeah, IMO it's a pretty weak version.

Yeah, plus it sounds odd being played in a lower key, especially since Sabbath were tuned down pretty far in the original key to begin with.

You're right: the drums lack that end-of-the-world flair Bill Ward brought to the original version.

kissfan1976
04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
"Let's Try Getting To The Sky...""
I was 17 back in 1983 and when my mom would leave the house for whatever reason,I use to crank the shit ouf of Disturbing The Priest and freak out my 10 year old brother.

Bill Lumbergh
04-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Don't know WHY this album hasn't gotten an official cd release stateside (unsure if it got one in the UK or not).

Friend of mine burned a copy from the net. Just in time, too, as my 25 year old cassette of that record was just about to shit the bed.

I was never really into the Dio era....dont get me wrong, some great tracks, but he wears on me after a while. Never dug his lyrics for the most part either. Tony came up with some classic riffs on those 2 albums, but I never felt that connected to it for some reason. "Born Again" just fuckin' smokes....I rank this album behind only my holy trinity of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Vol. 4"", and the debut....and consider it on par with "Master of Reality". Love "Paranoid", but half that album has been ridiculously overplayed...."Sabotage" is solid....I actually really like "Technical Ecstasy"(sure I'm alone there)...."Born Again" was their last studio album from my perspective. Fuck Tony Martin and Dio. :pullinghair:

GAR
04-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Fuck TURKEY.

Terry
04-02-2010, 06:20 AM
I was never really into the Dio era....dont get me wrong, some great tracks, but he wears on me after a while. Never dug his lyrics for the most part either. Tony came up with some classic riffs on those 2 albums, but I never felt that connected to it for some reason. "Born Again" just fuckin' smokes....I rank this album behind only my holy trinity of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", "Vol. 4"", and the debut....and consider it on par with "Master of Reality". Love "Paranoid", but half that album has been ridiculously overplayed...."Sabotage" is solid....I actually really like "Technical Ecstasy"(sure I'm alone there)...."Born Again" was their last studio album from my perspective. Fuck Tony Martin and Dio. :pullinghair:

I'd put Born Again at least on par with the initial Dio years of Sabbath...and certainly a few steps above Dehumanizer, which is very good in spots but not quite as good as Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.

See, for me the best stuff RJD was involved with were the first two Dio solo albums. Yes, he did good stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath, but he seemed most in his element on Holy Diver and Last In Line (suppose it stands to reason, as he was able to call the shots as a solo artist).

I could see where Dio could wear on someone fairly quickly, though. Fuck, by the time Sacred Heart came out, I was starting to think Dio's stuff was beginning to sound a bit too recycled (like, how many fucking songs about dragons, magic and the night can this guy sing about, fer chrissakes?).

However, I Speed At Night is fucking killer diller.;)

kissfan1976
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM

"Technical Ecstasy" is one of my faves,I love all Ozzy era Sabbath albums.

I only like a handfull of the Tony Martin stuff.

kissfan1976
04-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd put Born Again at least on par with the initial Dio years of Sabbath...and certainly a few steps above Dehumanizer, which is very good in spots but not quite as good as Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.

See, for me the best stuff RJD was involved with were the first two Dio solo albums. Yes, he did good stuff with Rainbow and Sabbath, but he seemed most in his element on Holy Diver and Last In Line (suppose it stands to reason, as he was able to call the shots as a solo artist).

I could see where Dio could wear on someone fairly quickly, though. Fuck, by the time Sacred Heart came out, I was starting to think Dio's stuff was beginning to sound a bit too recycled (like, how many fucking songs about dragons, magic and the night can this guy sing about, fer chrissakes?).

However, I Speed At Night is fucking killer diller.;)

Yeah, Dio's first two solo releases are his best,IMO.

sonrisa salvaje
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Great thread. I have heard a couple of boots of Gillan doing the song Heaven and Hell and i loved it. I would love to see a Born Again deluxe version with a live disc from the tour with his version of Heaven and Hell on it. I wonder if this new record/ collaboration will be called Iommi 4 or something else?

Satan
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNkZiNMF2OA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNkZiNMF2OA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Satan
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPc5ro6rbls&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mPc5ro6rbls&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

ELVIS
04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6pFfGcoUYA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6pFfGcoUYA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Black Sabbath live Reading Rock Festival, 27-August-83

Transfer direct from FM master tape (original broadcast
recording made 9/3/84 onto Sony BHF 90 cassette tape)
>Ion Tape 2 PC>Audacity 1.3>Wav (16 bit)>
FLAC (SBE corrected, Trader's Little Helper)
Transferred 9/09

FLAC encoded level 6 10-09

1.Hot Line
2.War Pigs
3.Black Sabbath
4.Zero The Hero
5.Digital Bitch
6.Iron Man
7.Smoke on the Water
8.Paranoid

Time: 49.16

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FPPQV8QX)

Hardrock69
04-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Audience Recording exists of the full set, though I don't know of any current links.

Panamark
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks ELVIS !! Never heard that before... cool man :)

ELVIS
04-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Killer song, eh mate ??

Panamark
04-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Yes, totally !!! Dunno why they left it off ??

But we have it now :)

ELVIS
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
That's some super high backing vocals, even for Ian...

bueno bob
04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
That's some super high backing vocals, even for Ian...

I actually asked the chief of the fan club back in 1992 about it, according to her the backing vocals were done by Geoff Nichols. I think I came into possession of a cassette of the unmastered Born Again albums with that track on it back around 1990 or so, through some source or another.

ELVIS
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Hmmm...

Interesting...

Mr. Vengeance
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Looks promising, even if it's not for the long term.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alwYQMGtvzE

FORD
04-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Why didn't they just call it Purple Sabbath, for fucks sake? That's what it sounds like, and pretty much what it is. Too bad it's Newsted and not Geezer on bass though.

And are they just releasing two songs, or is an album in the works?

Anonymous
04-09-2011, 12:55 PM
The bass sounds an awful lot like that album that wasn't really Metallica anymore... but it's excusable.

I'd like to have an album by these gits, no doubt.

FORD
04-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, it reminded me a little of "Enter Sandman", and I thought so even before I saw Newsted was playing on it.

binnie
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
It sounds like guys having a lot of fun but perhaps not really trying.

Mr. Vengeance
04-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I imagine if the sales are even remotely promising, they'll do a whole album.

Shit...I'd take this over 99% of what I hear coming out today.

Mr. Vengeance
04-09-2011, 02:46 PM

We need more albums from guys having fun.

Anonymous
04-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Which is absolutely refreshing. We have too many fuckups already trying to hard.

Music is supposed to be fun, not deliver messages and/or criticize social issues, or what have you.

And "perfect" music a la Dream Theater, while it does deserve to be listened to, is, in the long run boring.

Not to mention all these new heavily protooled releases, which make music sound like something that came out of a lab, completely sterile & devoid of anything recognizable as natural.

Music's dead... long live these old farts.

tojoro
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
From black-sabbath.com
http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/2011/08/tony_iommis_book_info.html

August 2, 2011

Tony Iommi's Book Info with Pre-orders!
Earlier this year, we got a title to Tony Iommi's autobiography due later this year. The full title is, "Iron Man: My Journey through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath". However, more concrete information has yet to be released for it. Until now.

I have to say, I've been looking forward to this for ages. I've prided myself on getting the history of the band correct, and as such I'm aware of all the little fiddly bits in the band's history. I'm not expecting 50 page essays on some of the more minor parts of the band's history, but given the total wealth of info available from Tony, I'm hoping the book is comprehensive in it's coverage, if not necessarily a "warts and all" piece. I've not yet seen an advance copy. I hope to see one soon. Let's get going with the book info:

Cover Art:

As you can see in this story, we have the cover art to the book. There are two book covers, although Tony's face is the same, it's just the text around them. The "purple" cover is the US cover, and the "red" cover is the everywhere else version. :)

The other important information for the book is release date and ordering links. Here goes with that:

When:

The book will be released in the United States on November 1st in Hardback by "Perseus Books/DeCapo Press" (ISBN 0306819554). The book will be released in England/everywhere else on October 13th by "Simon & Schuster" (ISBN 0857201514).

At the last minute before I published this I was told that the UK date is definite, but the US date is not 100% set, it could change, but Nov 1st is a Tuesday, so it could be likely. We'll find out.

Pre-Order Links:

[ Amazon US | Amazon UK ]
Additional Info/Text:

The book is 352 pages long. I saw an inital listing of the book saying it was 304 pages long in one edition, and 352 in another. I was told that was outdated info, and all the editions are the same length - 352 pages.

I'm hoping to get some additional information about the book shortly, and I've also inquired as to whether I'll be allowed to run any exclusive text or anything like that. If I find that out, I'll be sure to post as soon as I can. To wrap up, here's some "publisher text" I found about the book. It appears likely to be inside book flap text and back cover quotes.

If you want to discuss this story, you can do so via this thread on our forums.

The name 'Tony Iommi' sends shivers down the spines of guitarists around the world. As lead guitarist and songwriter of Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi is considered to be one of the most influential musicians of the past four decades and the inventor of heavy metal. From working class, Midlands roots, his unique playing style - a result of a disfiguring hand injury he suffered working in a sheet metal factory -- created a dark and gothic sound unlike anything that had been heard before and which captured the mood of its time. Sabbath went on to become a superband, playing to massive audiences around the world and selling millions of records, and Iommi led the life of a rockstar to the fullest - with the scars from all the drug-fuelled nights of excess and wildness to show for it. Iron Man is the exclusive account of the life and adventures of one of rock's greatest heroes.
Iron Man chronicles the story of both pioneering guitarist Tony Iommi and legendary band Black Sabbath, dubbed "The Beatles of heavy metal" by Rolling Stone. Iron Man reveals the man behind the icon yet still captures Iommi's humor, intelligence, and warmth. He speaks honestly and unflinchingly about his rough-and-tumble childhood, the accident that almost ended his career, his failed marriages, personal tragedies, battles with addiction, band mates, famous friends, newfound daughter, and the ups and downs of his life as an artist.

Everything associated with hard rock happened to Black Sabbath first: the drugs, the debauchery, the drinking, the dungeons, the pressure, the pain, the conquests, the company men, the contracts, the combustible drummer, the critics, the comebacks, the singers, the Stonehenge set, the music, the money, the madness, the metal.

`Tony Iommi is the true father of Heavy Metal, a continuously creative genius riff-meister, and one of the world's great human beings' --Brian May

`Without Tony, heavy metal wouldn't exist. He is the creator of heavy! Tony is a legend. He took rock and roll and turned it into heavy metal' --Eddie Van Halen

`Mr Iommi, aka . . . The Riffmaster. It's all his fault I am where I am' --James 'papa het' Hetfield

'Tony Iommi should be up there with the greats. He can pick up a guitar and play a riff that'd knock your f-ing socks off' --Ozzy Osbourne

Posted by Joe Siegler at August 2, 2011 12:15 PM

chefcraig
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
There are two book covers, although Tony's face is the same, it's just the text around them. The "purple" cover is the US cover, and the "red" cover is the everywhere else version.

http://img1.imagehousing.com/27/55ef863d472c823126f44f8bf5fc5884.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/814449) http://img1.imagehousing.com/53/90abcea2137c7d2e54d502246e1d7b4c.jpg (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/814447)

tojoro
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for those images, Chef:cool:
I wonder if they're really going with that font on the letter 'M' for the international version?

Va Beach VH Fan
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I'll be interested if/how he expounds on just how much Van Halen blew them off the stage in '78.....

FORD
08-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll be interested if/how he expounds on just how much Van Halen blew them off the stage in '78.....

Doubt it. One thing I've noticed about Iommi over the years is that he loves revising history to fit with whatever narrative he's pushing at the moment. So even though he might have admitted to VH blowing Sabbath off the stage in the past - probably as a justification for canning Ozzy in 1979 - he's probably changed that story already.

Hardrock69
08-05-2011, 12:33 AM
I will buy this as soon as it comes out. He is one of those guys that, even though I am a bit jaded, I would have a difficult time trying to regain my composure with if I met him, lol.

Terry
08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Noticed that a Deluxe Edition of Born Again has hit the market as well.

I love that fucking album.

Anonymous
08-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Now, why would he do that? And be fair, you biased little troll. It's hard for even the most hardcore Sabbath fan to be in the mood for doom & gloom after a hard party. So a biased Sabbath fan could, theoretically, claim that VH ruined the mood for Sabbath. Not me, though.

Doubt it. One thing I've noticed about Iommi over the years is that he loves revising history to fit with whatever narrative he's pushing at the moment. So even though he might have admitted to VH blowing Sabbath off the stage in the past - probably as a justification for canning Ozzy in 1979 - he's probably changed that story already.

Seems to me you're assuming quite a bit with that post. Just sayin'.

He is one of those guys that, even though I am a bit jaded, I would have a difficult time trying to regain my composure with if I met him, lol.

Same here. The man is a true legend, worthy of respect & reverence. Unlike, say, Eddie V. or Ozzy Osbourne.

Nitro Express
08-06-2011, 07:28 PM
When the name of Iommi is mentioned this automatically pops into my head. Black Sabbath was the original metal band. They broke the mold.

chefcraig
08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Noticed that a Deluxe Edition of Born Again has hit the market as well.

I love that fucking album.

Me too, but this re-release is pretty lightweight. For one thing, it hasn't been remixed, so it sounds just as sterile as it did back in 1983. And for another, the so-called bonus tracks on the second disc have been available in one form or another for around 15 years now. The two unreleased studio tracks turn out to be an extended version of the goofy "Stonehenge" instrumental and "The Fallen", an unmixed track left off the album. The rest of the disc is fleshed out with the widely available live radio broadcast from the Reading Festival in 1983, but it isn't even the entire show! For one reason or another, "Supertzar", "Children Of The Grave", "Born Again", "Supernaut", "Rock'n'Roll Doctor", "Disturbing The Priest" and "Black Sabbath" were cut from the radio broadcast, and as a result (these tapes were used for this Deluxe Edition) are not included here. It's a pity, as the group (with ELO's Bev Bevan sitting in on drums) even managed to play some tunes from the Heaven and Hell album during the tour, but nothing from that album was played at the Reading show.

On the plus side, the release does include some decent liner notes, press articles and photographs. If you are like me, you probably already have most of this stuff, but I guess it would be nice to have it all together in one package. It just occurs to me the entire deal could have been put together a bit more cleverly, or at least with a tad more effort.

Terry
08-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Me too, but this re-release is pretty lightweight. For one thing, it hasn't been remixed, so it sounds just as sterile as it did back in 1983. The so-called bonus tracks on the second disc have been available in one form or another for around 15 years now. The two unreleased studio tracks turn out to be an extended version of the goofy "Stonehenge" instrumental and "The Fallen", an unmixed track left off the album. The rest of the disc is fleshed out with the widely available live radio broadcast from the Reading Festival in 1983, but it isn't even the entire show! For one reason or another, "Supertzar", "Children Of The Grave", "Born Again", "Supernaut", "Rock'n'Roll Doctor", "Disturbing The Priest" and "Black Sabbath" were cut from the radio broadcast, and as a result (these tapes were used for this Deluxe Edition) are not included here. It's a pity, as the group (with ELO's Bev Bevan sitting in on drums) even managed to play some tunes from the Heaven and Hell album during the tour, but none of these tunes were played at the Reading show.

On the plus side, the release does include some decent liner notes, press articles and photographs. If you are like me, you probably already have most of this stuff, but I guess it would be nice to have it all together in one package. It just occurs to me the entire deal could have been put together a bit more cleverly, or at least with a tad more effort.

I bought the cassette when the album was first released years ago, and actually got to see the Born Again lineup when Sabbath played in Providence, RI in 1983. I held onto the cassette for nearly twenty years until it finally shit the bed. When I went to get a cd replacement, imagine my chagrin when I found out the album hadn't been reissued in cd format in the US. Had heard from several sources whom I trusted that I shouldn't even bother with the expense of importing it from the UK, as the mix wasn't anything better than something that could be made at home. Got a friend to burn me a copy.

Apparently, a lot of people hate the way the album was originally mixed, and there are plenty of claims alongside the Born Again demos on youtube that the bootlegged demos sound much better than the official release. Personally, I love the way the album sounds as is. The bass is upfront and booming to the point where it's almost comical, the guitars have this incredible, piercing treble; when the solos come, it's like steel daggers in my ears.

It'll be worth it to me to get the Deluxe edition...I'm kind of at the point where I DON'T want original recordings tinkered with, remastered, improved upon or whatever. I hate when things are fiddled with. I mean, it's bad enough that cd versions of vinyl tend to clean up the original sound to begin with (analog vs. digital, etc.), but please don't fuck with the original mixes...for good or for bad, put shit out the way it was done the first time.

The thing I love about that album is it's the last one where Gillan can still scream his head off like a fuckin' banshee and not sound like a tired old geezer; you could tell by the time the Purple reunion rolled around in 1984 that Ian's pipes were still raw from the effort he threw into the Sabbath project the year before.

binnie
08-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I've always found that the production on 'Born Again' fucking killed the tunes. You could say the same about pretty much every Sabbath release after Dio left, however...

GreenBayLA
08-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Didn't see this posted here, decent song.

Ian Gillian (Deep Purple Vocalist),
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath Guitarist),
Jon Lord (Deep Purple Keyboardist)
Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden Drummer),
Jason Newsted (Metallica's long time Bass player, now Ozzy's bassist),
Lindie Lindstrom (HIM Guitarist),

GreenBayLA
08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
They put Who Cares together to raise money for an Armanian music school.

"Holy Water" recording lineup:
* Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) - Vocals
* Tony Iommi (BLACK SABBATH) - Guitar
* Steve Morris - Guitar
* Michael Lee Jackson - Guitar
* Randy Clarke - Drums
* Rodney Appleby - Bass
* Jesse O'Brien - Hammond Organ
* Arshak Sahakyan - Duduk Solo
* Ara Gevorgyan - Underlying Duduk Intro Music And Keys

GreenBayLA
08-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Interesting part of Iommi story I'd never heard.

chefcraig
08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Although Iommi was only in Tull for a brief time, he did manage to show up in the Stones Rock and Roll Circus film when the group mimed to a prerecorded track.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6046328113991991942&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

FORD
08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Ironically enough, that was the only NON-live performance of anyone on that show. Unless you count the Stones closing performance of "Salt of the Earth" which was only half-live (Mick & Keith singing over a canned backing track)

rustoffa
08-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Just watched TMS with Iommi. Very gracious. Spoke briefly about his book. I found it interesting that he mentioned some stem cell hand Doctor in Germany that he and Eddie Van Halen had seen.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Florentine was adamant about stressing that Van Halen didn't "blow Black Sabbath off the stage" in '78.... He saw the MSG concert that year.....

He asked Iommi whether he saw people leaving Sabbath's set in the middle, as I guess has been the legend....

Iommi, as you would expect, was very neutral about the matter.... He said he didn't notice anything like that, but also saying Eddie is a good friend, and that he felt VH + Sabbath were a "good package"....

The episode hasn't been posted online yet, but I'll paste it when it does....

Hardrock69
08-22-2011, 12:14 AM
It is entirely possible he saw a show where VH did NOT blow them off the stage.

But then, if he thinks thats the way it was for the entire tour, then he is mistaken, lol.

Over the years right after seeing that show I had wondered if I had not hallucinated or something, that perhaps Black Sabbath were not that bad.....but then I began seeing mention in the 90s of that tour by individual members of Sabbath, basically saying the same thing "We were blown off the stage night after night...". Sure they put it 'diplomatically' but they do feel that was the case......I personally did not see anyone leave during Sabbath's set, but they could have been leaving in droves and I would not have seen it...as it was my first encounter with Black Sabbath and I kept my eyes riveted on them, and not the people behind me, haha.

Tell you what though.....I have a friend who I met 2 years later, who was at that same show. I dunno where he was sitting but I am going to ask him his opinion....he has played in a ton of bands in the Seattle area....he is from there. Will let you know what he says....we have discussed the show a bit over the years, but I never asked him about this in particular....

Hardrock69
08-22-2011, 02:07 AM
My friend just replied:

Being a huge Sabbath and Van Halen fan I thought Sabbath was awesome, even though Van Halen stole the show. I don't remember people leaving, it wouldn't surprise me if some did as this was the first chance anyone had to see Van Halen.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Fast forward to about 17:45....

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:vh1.com:1669371/cp~instance%3Dfullepisode%26autoPlay%3Dfalse%26id% 3D1669371%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideolist%3Avh1.com %3A1669371" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More:
<a href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/that_metal_show/series.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">That Metal Show</a>, <a href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">TV Shows</a>, <a href="http://www.vh1.com/video/full_episodes.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Full Episode Video</a>, <a href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Reality TV Shows</a></p></div></div>

ThrillsNSpills
08-30-2011, 12:17 PM
It is entirely possible he saw a show where VH did NOT blow them off the stage.

I'm sure Jim F. is biased, since he's a rabid fan of both bands;everyone has good and bad nights though so I get your point. It's an interesting question whether Iommi would be intimidated by Ed's insane technique at the time. Could be he was just trying to keep his own shit together to just make it through the tour. Didn't the Sabs have a bunch of problems at the time? Like wondering where Oz vanished to next. I'd love to hear Ed take a solo on Hole in the Sky though.

chefcraig
09-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Just for the hell of it, this is the entire Reading Festival performance with Ian Gillan from 1983, which includes the tracks not featured on the Born Again reissue. Be warned, the sound is pretty awful in places. The total run time is just under an hour and a half.

(The fellow that posted this at Youtube has a handful of other complete Sabbath shows at his channel on the site. You can find them at the following link: faffri (http://www.youtube.com/user/faffri#p/u))

Here is the track listing for the Reading show:

01 Supertzar
02 Children Of The Grave
03 Hot Line
04 War Pigs
05 Born Again
06 Supernaut/Drum Solo
07 Rock 'N' Roll Doctor
08 Disturbing The Priest
09 Keep It Warm
10 Black Sabbath
11 The Dark/Zero The Hero
12 Digital Bitch
13 Iron Man
14 Smoke On The Water
15 Paranoid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFsouenlEw&feature=related

Hardrock69
09-10-2011, 02:53 AM
The FM broadcast boot I have is pretty good quality I think. But have not listened to it for probably close to a year...

ThrillsNSpills
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
For Born Again fans.
I was just listening to the born again album and found this.

wolfsbane
10-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Ian Gillan is the best singer that has ever sang and the best there will ever be. He has the range, is never off, and has done it for so many years.

Hardrock69
11-28-2011, 05:41 AM
While I can understand Tony not bothering to go into detail about some things like guitars, amps, etc. as one can find that in all the interviews he has done with Guitar World magazine, etc., there was one incident I was looking forward to reading about.

Back in the early 80s (if I recall correctly), his prize SG guitar was stolen. The rest of this was some kind of media invention (fucking sensationalist bastards as journalists are), but a rumour spread around the media that the guitar had a curse on it, as supposedly the bloke who stole it had an immediate run of total freak bad luck.....and returned the guitar fairly quickly.

That story is just the usual sensationalist media bullshit, but I was wanting to hear Tony's take on the incident.......and it was not mentioned at all.

One thing I did crack up about though......Tony is a serious prankster......with Bill Ward his usual victim.

He did talk about places they stayed where they were rehearsing or whatever, where they actually did see ghosts or phantoms gliding up the stairs or down the hallways or whatever, only to have the landlady or property owner the next day say something like "Oh yes, that is our resident ghost...he is harmless...".

Tony and Geezer actually got their producer Martin Birch wound up pretty much when they hooked up to record Heaven & Hell, making him think they actually WERE devil worshippers or some shit.......and Tony said something to the effect that he never told the truth to Martin.....and made a statement like "So Martin, if you are reading this book, the joke's on you, mate". :lmao:

ThrillsNSpills
11-28-2011, 10:24 AM

VHscraps
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Florentine was adamant about stressing that Van Halen didn't "blow Black Sabbath off the stage" in '78.... He saw the MSG concert that year....

I never saw any of those shows, but I have seen Sabbath's Hammersmith Odeon show from the UK leg of the tour - on video, admittedly - and they play a great set, the venue packed etc.

I'm sure most who witnessed the shows on the 78 tour would have left wondering who the hell this opening band were - VH had never played outside of Southern California, and probably seemed to have come out of nowhere to everyone else. They were also channeling max energy in those days, and probably made everything else look sluggish by comparison.