PDA

View Full Version : Demos rarities...

tojoro
04-03-2010, 04:52 PM
a friend loaned me a couple of CVH demo CDRs, and I was wondering what anyone here knew of them. Only one is listed at vhvault.com, which would be Listen To This Gene: Listen To This Gene (http://www.vhboots.com/listentothisgene.html)
The other is titled: Van Halen Top Secret! The Simmons Files 1976, it looks to be put out by Backlash Silver Disc Import Pressing. The only other info is the tracklist and a short blurb.
There are 10 tracks produced by Gene. Same as the first 10 on 'Listen to...'
There are 10 tracks as Mixed WB Demos 1977
11. Show Your Love
12. Voodoo Queen
13. Little Dreamer
14. Last Night
15. Get The Show On The Road
16. Babe Don't Leave Me Alone
17. Big Trouble
18. She's The Woman
19. Put Out The Lights
20. Happy Trails
There are 4 tracks as Un-Mixed WB Demos 1977.
21. Young and Wild
22. We Die Young
23. Light In The Sky
24. Piece Of Mind
The front is 4 pics centered by the VH logo from the debut. Top Secret is stamped over the lower left corner pic of Alex. The Simmons Files is across the bottom, in an Army-style stencil. The back cover is a young pic of Dave, onstage, striking a pose with an acoustic.
I was on the vault scrolling around the different demo discs, and I saw some titles I didn't recognize. Elsewhere here, someone commented in the WACF anniv. thread about 'Bullethead' being one of their best unreleased tunes, and I've never heard it.
I guess I'm wondering if what I have is good, or is there a superior collection out there, that has all of their demos that I should be hearing.
Thanks for helping the noob.
Lastly, it's really cool to hear this stuff. They had a strong backlog of demos for a young band, imo.
Neat how songs like Voodoo Queen morphed into Mean Streets.
Hearing a very young version of House of Pain was a real nice suprise.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

ThrillsNSpills
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Viva Les Bootlegs (http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com/search/label/VAN%20HALEN)