PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall traded to Miami for 2 picks..

redblkwht
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Dolphins acquire Marshall from Broncos for two picks
April 14, 2010
CBSSports.com wire reports

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A person familiar with the deal says the Denver Broncos are trading Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a pair of second-round draft picks.

Marshall will fly to Miami on Wednesday for a physical, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the teams hadn't announced the deal.
Analysis

Pete Prisco
The new personnel mantra for the Denver Broncos is this: If the coach doesn't like you, you are gone. More

After his physical, Marshall is expected to sign a long-term contract that he's been seeking for over a year.

Marshall has long wanted out of Denver, and he finally got his wish when the Broncos pulled off their second blockbuster deal in as many seasons under coach Josh McDaniels. Denver sent quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago last April for Kyle Orton and a several draft picks.

Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth said the team had no comment "at this time."

The Denver Post reported the Broncos will receive a second-round pick in next week's draft and another second-rounder in 2011 in exchange for Marshall, who signed his $2.521 million tender from the Broncos on Tuesday to help facilitate a trade.

Marshall represents the biggest trade acquisition by the Dolphins since running back Ricky Williams went to Miami in 2002 for four draft picks, including two first-rounders.

Miami is a surprise destination for Marshall because Dolphins coach Tony Sparano hadn't shown much interest in acquiring him. But football czar Bill Parcells, who has final say on personnel matters in Miami, has never shied away from talented-but-troubled wide receivers, working with Terry Glenn in New England, Keyshawn Johnson in New York and Terrell Owens in Dallas.

The Dolphins have been desperate for a deep threat at receiver to loosen up defenses for their potentially potent ground game and young, strong-armed quarterback Chad Henne.

Speedy Ted Ginn Jr. has been a disappointment since Miami took him with the ninth overall draft pick in 2007. Ginn and the other wideouts -- Brian Hartline, Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo -- combined for only six touchdown catches last season.

The acquisition of a top-line receiver frees up the Dolphins to use the No. 12 pick in the draft next week on the defensive front seven, where help is also needed.

The Broncos, who own the 11th pick in the first round, have many needs, especially at linebacker, but now will likely address wide receiver in the draft, as well.

Marshall's departure removes Orton's primary target and leaves the Broncos with Jabar Gaffney, who had 54 catches for 732 yards and two TDs last season, as their top receiver. Eddie Royal caught 37 passes with no TDs and Brandon Stokley had 19 catches, four for TDs.

In March, the Broncos slapped a first-round tender on Marshall, but teams were unwilling to part with a first-round draft pick as compensation to lure the restricted free agent out of Denver.

Marshall posted his third consecutive 100-catch season last year and made his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl despite several run-ins with McDaniels both on and off the field.

advertisement

He was suspended for insubordination in training camp and again for the season finale after he was tardy for treatment on a hamstring injury the team felt he was exaggerating.

Still, Marshall caught 101 passes last season, including an NFL-record 21 in a loss at Indianapolis, for 1,120 yards. His 10 touchdowns were a career best.

Marshall has 327 career catches for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons.

The Seattle Seahawks were the only team that had Marshall in for a visit during free agency, flying him in on a seaplane. The Seahawks, however, were unwilling to part with the sixth pick in the upcoming draft to sign him.

For all his talents on the field, Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to commissioner Roger Goodell's office to discuss his off-the-field behavior. He was suspended for the 2008 opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

In February, an emotional Marshall was a witness in the murder trial of Willie Clark, who was convicted in the 2007 drive-by slaying of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

Last summer, Marshall was suspended by the team for throwing a tantrum at practice during training camp. The source of his frustration was twofold: he was upset with the team's medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required offseason surgery and he was displeased with his contract.

Marshall earned $2.2 million last season in the final year of the rookie deal he signed in 2006 as a fourth-round draft pick out of Central Florida.

redblkwht
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
The Broncos now are sitting on 2 1st rounders & 3 2nd round picks Holy cow-

redblkwht
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Correction, this years 2nd & 2011's 2nd from Miami.
so Bronc's still have 2 1sts & 2 2nd's thats pretty huge IMO lets see what
they do with it wonder if they will trade up for a better Qb??

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Maybe the Dolphins can tame Marshall's wild arse? Maybe McDaniels will actually make something of The Broncos with the pics? I mean and up to this point, I don't have a clue as to what he's thinking. Brady fucking Quinn? We'll soon see? Marshall's one talented motherfucker but cancer's like that are shitheals to teams. Fuck, now he's the highest paid receiver in NFL history? WTF? I mean he's good but is anybody that fucking good? Salaries/signings such as this must make peeps like Rice, Carter and even Moss fucking cringe.

Craig, if yer out there and the only fish fan I know... What are your thoughts Hobson? You excited, thrilled, pissed nervous or a combination of all the aformentioned? :confused:

However, I'll decline any further comments until reading this site's resident Broncos expert analysis of the situation... So and with that being said, where is kristi? Care to comment, genius? :rolleyes: :hitch:

kwame k
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
OK, I move from Detroit and having to endure the Lions to moving to Colorado and having to endure the Broncos :pullinghair:

I can't fucking win......................

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
OK, I move from Detroit and having to endure the Lions to moving to Colorado and having to endure the Broncos :pullinghair:

I can't fucking win......................

I still dunno what was worse? All the years I spent with them losing Superbowls or finally winning two, back to back and not doing shit since? Seriously, the wins were so epic and I'll never forget January, 25, 1998 EVER!!! However and having tasted it, now every season sucks. lol

Seriously, I have an entire fucking shrine in my house devoted to the Broncos, also a rather extensive wardrobe of orange, blue and white. However and little by little it's all being replaced with Red Sox gear. Honestly, The second failing of The Broncos is eating me away and I'm no kid anymore. Thank God, I've never had to be a Browns nor Lions fan for that matter. That would suck.

kwame k
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Tell me about it.......you don't want to be a fair weather fan but after a decade or so, you start to waiver in your loyalties..........

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Tell me about it.......you don't want to be a fair weather fan but after a decade or so, you start to waiver in your loyalties..........

I'll always be a Broncos fan, there's no changing it cos it's in my blood. Nonetheless, it's no longer worth having a stroke every season either. lol

I mean, my Dad lived in Denver for twenty years and I spent a lot of time growin' up in the 80's watching games at the REAL Mile High Stadium. Unfortunately or fortunately, my being a fan is never leaving. :eek:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
and I'll never forget January, 25, 1998 EVER!!!

me neither:cry2:

kwame k
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I would of died years ago if I took the Lions too seriously ;)

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Plays like this now even piss me off to an entirely higher level when you see the talent and what could've been...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh2EzpR98KQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh2EzpR98KQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I would of died years ago if I took the Lions too seriously ;)

Yeah but watchin' Barry back in the day was fun shit. :cool:

I felt so sorry for you bastiids when my college qb Scott Mitchell was dumped on your asses. :(

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
me neither:cry2:

That night was epic cos I threw the biggest and best Superbowl party EVAHH!!! I had the room carpeted in green astroturf, taped with white duct tape of the red zone, complete with arrows, numbers, etc. There were orange and blue balloons all over the fucking ceiling and EVERYONE was dressed in Broncos gear, except for my one friend in his Favre jersey. It was funny!!! :lmao: I also won a boatload of $$$ that night cos I bet the fucking farm on that game cos I figured "what the fuck?"

kwame k
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Kinda like the curse of the Bambino.........hope Sanders didn't put an 80 year + curse on us.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
billy sims was pretty good back in the day also.

MAX
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
billy sims was pretty good back in the day also.

Givin' you a ceegar for that trivia!!! :cool: The other number 20!!! He was a great back.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Givin' you a ceegar for that trivia!!! :cool: The other number 20!!! He was a great back.

left handed?:biggrin:

MAX
Kinda like the curse of the Bambino.........hope Sanders didn't put an 80 year + curse on us.

Yeah but the difference is Sanders just retired as opposed to signing with The Bears or Packers. :D

MAX
left handed?:biggrin:

Creep. :lol:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Creep. :lol:

creeper weed....sweet:baaa:

Kristy
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh McDufus, what have you done?

MAX
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Oh McDufus, what have you done?

K, I assume you're referring to McDaniels, no? So let's see... You called Shanahan a "hack" and now Josh is a "Dufus?" Is their anyone who can meet your approval as the head coach? How about Kubiak? No, that wouldn't work cos he was Elway's backup and could never quite flourish like "BREWSTER!!!" :lmao: If so, who? Please enlighten me, genius? :rolleyes:

chefcraig
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Craig, if yer out there and the only fish fan I know... What are your thoughts Hobson? You excited, thrilled, pissed nervous or a combination of all the aformentioned? :confused:

MAX, I'm more bewildered than anything else. For Parcells and company to go so far outside their normal MO really bugs me. Not only is this guy a diva, but he can't stay out of trouble. So he's invited to an area notorious for the lewd behavior norms of South Beach? Yeah, he averages a hundred or so catches a year. How is that going to play when he is suspended from the league for conduct unbecoming? Hopefully, we can unload Ted Ginn and his family, then get some insurance via the draft.

The thing is, if you take a good look at the AFC East you really have to wonder if Miami is going to once again end up in third place. The Jets have made some very intriguing moves, and you can never count out N.E. completely. Buffalo...I dunno. They could be good enough to give us some issues as well. At this point, I'm more concerned with merely surviving our own division, let alone the rest of the league, as our offensive line has depended on gimmick plays and just plain luck for too long. And the defense still has holes in it big enough to drive a boat through, let alone an opposing team.

Look, I'm not about to make my traditional prediction of when the Dolphins will be mathematically eliminated from the play-offs (for the past two years, I did so during training camp :duh:) just yet. Let me get a couple of camp visits in before I say anything other than I'm cautiously optimistic, but am resigned to abject failure and disappointment. More or less the same attitude I had going into my first marriage.