X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Obama: Americans to Mars within his lifetime

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – President Barack Obama predicted Thursday his new space exploration plan would lead Americans beyond the moon and to Mars within his lifetime. "I expect to be around to see it," he declared.

Obama's bold prediction was an answer to critics, including several former astronauts, that his changes would deal a staggering blow to the nation's manned space program.

Speaking at the Kennedy Space Center, where America's moon missions originated decades ago, Obama said he was "100 percent committed to the mission of NASA and its future." He outlined plans for federal spending to bring more private companies into space exploration following the soon-to-end space shuttle program.

"We want to leap into the future," not continue on the same path as before, Obama said as he sought to reassure NASA workers that America's space adventures would soar on despite the termination of shuttle flights.

Obama acknowledged criticism for his drastic changes to the space agency's direction. But, he said, "The bottom line is: Nobody is more committed to manned space flight, the human exploration of space, than I am. But we've got to do it in a smart way; we can't keep doing the same old things as before."

Obama said that by 2025, the nation would have a new spacecraft "designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first-ever crewed missions beyond the moon into deep space."
    "We'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history. By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to Earth. And a landing on Mars will follow," he said.

Obama said the space program is not a luxury but a necessity for the nation.
    He noted that the Kennedy Space Center has inspired the nation and the world for half a century. He said NASA represents what it means to be American — "reaching for new heights and reaching for what's possible" — and is not close to its final days.

Obama sought to explain why he aborted President George W. Bush's return-to-the moon plan in favor of a complicated system of public-and-private flights that would go elsewhere in space, with details still to be worked out.

"We've been there before," Obama said of the nation's moon landings decades ago. "There's a lot more of space to explore."

He said his administration would support continued manned exploration of space "not just with dollars, but with clear aims and a larger purpose."

The Obama space plan relies on private companies to fly to the space station, giving them almost $6 billion to build their own rockets and ships. It also extends the space station's life by five years and puts billions into research to eventually develop new government rocket ships for future missions to a nearby asteroid, to the moon, to Martian moons or other points in space. Those stops would be stepping stones on an eventual mission to Mars itself.

Link
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

This is good news......since we are a nation of explorers this is awesome.
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Blackflag
      Banned
      • Apr 2006

I agree. Definitely a good use of all the money we have sitting around collecting dust.

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Geez, BF with a negative view, who would of thought.

Comment

• Blackflag
          Banned
          • Apr 2006

Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Even though I'd love nothing more to use this as an opportunity to rip on Barry some more, I cannot. I mean going to Mars would be ok but I don't see the point with everything else as fucked up as it is? I think we should try fixing where we reside before we venture off and start fucking up another planet with platinum credit cards and sneakers with lights in 'em. JMHO.
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Blackflag
                Banned
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kwame k
                That's probably what your pappy said when JFK made his speech about going to the moon.
                I don't think my pappy or your pappy has anything to do with Obama or Mars. But if you're asking me what I think about going to the moon, I think NASA has been an obscene multi-trillion dollar money pit. But I did get to touch a moon rock in the Air & Space Museum, and that was just cool as shit.

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

He's talking about private companies taking up some of the slack and I agree when we are struggling as a nation and money could be spent elsewhere...... but exploration is what made us what we are and exploring space can reap benefits, too.

Imagine the first country that finds life on another planet or a habitable planet.

The other thing is about minerals, companies are already looking into mining the moon.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

So, there's oil on Mars?
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

No, if that was the case we would of invaded it during Bush's term

Can't find the exact article about it but here's one..........
                      Scientists in the US and Russia have discovered a new mineral in a rock from the Moon. The mineral - which they have called "hapkeite" - is made of iron and silicon, and was probably formed by the impact of micrometeorites on the lunar surface. The result sheds new light on how soil can be formed on airless bodies in the Solar System, like the Moon and Mercury (M Anand et al. 2004 Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 101 6847).
                      Link

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2007

they have also made great strides in the swimming habits of tadpoles out there. w.....t.....f....?

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Believe me I'm not defending all the waste that they have done in the past but exploration and discoveries are part of human nature.

Comment

• Blackflag
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2006

So is war. Let China go explore Mars, and we can loan them the money to do it.

Man, I hate China. During the olympics, there was a big Tibet/anti-china protest here in Yakima, and I showed up with my "China is Dogshit" sign. There were Chinamen everywhere.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Blackflag
                              Who's negative? I'm serious. Since we've already solved all the problems on earth, like cancer and homelessness...what else are we going to do with all this time and money on our hands? Let's go be trillion dollar space tourists! Big pimping, for sure.
                              You do know that the world wide web that allows you to make that post came from research into particle physics at CERN?

People like you would have been against the space race in the 1960s which now allows people like you to have GPS and everything else.

In fact fuck it I'll look it up for you.

NASA Spinoffs with Practical Applications

Under the Space Act of 1958, NASA has had a mandate to share all the information it has gained with the public. Here are a few of the practical applications that have resulted from technologies and information learned by space scientists:

* CAT scans
                              * MRIs
                              * Kidney dialysis machines
                              * Heart defibrillator technology
                              * Remote robotic surgery
                              * Artificial heart pump technology
                              * Physical therapy machines
                              * Positron emission tomography
                              * Microwave receivers used in scans for breast cancer
                              * Cardiac angiography
                              * Monitoring neutron activity in the brain
                              * Cleaning techniques for hospital operating rooms
                              * Portable x-ray technology for neonatal offices and 3rd world countries
                              * Freeze-dried food
                              * Water purification filters
                              * ATM technology
                              * Pay at the Pump satellite technology
                              * Athletic shoe manufacturing technique
                              * Insulation barriers for autos
                              * Image-processing software for crash-testing automobiles
                              * Holographic testing of communications antennas
                              * Low-noise receivers
                              * Cordless tools
                              * A computer language used by businesses such as car repair shops, Kodak, hand-held computers, express mail
                              * Aerial reconnaissance and Earth resources mapping
                              * Airport baggage scanners
                              * Distinction between natural space objects and satellites/warheads/rockets for defense
                              * Satellite monitors for nuclear detonations
                              * Hazardous gas sensors
                              * Precision navigation
                              * Clock synchronization
                              * Ballistic missile guidance
                              * Secure communications
                              * Study of ozone depletion
                              * Climate change studies
                              * Monitoring of Earth-based storms such as hurricanes
                              * Solar collectors
                              * Fusion reactors
                              * Space-age fabrics for divers, swimmers, hazardous material workers, and others
                              * Teflon-coated fiberglass for roofing material
                              * Lightweight breathing system used by firefighters
                              * Atomic oxygen facility for removing unwanted material from 19th century paintings
                              * FDA-adopted food safety program that has reduced salmonella cases by a factor of 2
                              * Multispectral imaging methods used to read ancient Roman manuscripts buried by Mt. Vesuvius

Read more at Suite101: Practical Applications of Space Technology: Discoveries and Developments by NASA and Their Benefit to Society http://space-exploration.suite101.co...#ixzz0lCqs4CvY
                              Studies show that every dollar put into scientific research returns 15. The only chance of your country having anything left to export to the world than entertainment and wars in the future is through science and technology.

People like you may prevent that but don't worry there are plenty of other countries happy to step up to the plate...

Comment

Working...