PDA

View Full Version : US military launches top-secret robotic spacecraft

ELVIS
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Apr 23, 2010

WASHINGTON (AFP) – A US Air Force unmanned spacecraft has blasted off from Florida, amid a veil of secrecy about its military mission.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/dogsledder54/X-37.jpg

The robotic space plane, or X-37B, lifted off from Cape Canaveral atop an Atlas V rocket at 7:52 pm local time (2352 GMT) Thursday, according to video released by the military.

"The launch is a go," Air Force spokeswoman Major Angie Blair told AFP.

The lift-off appeared to proceed as planned without major problems, judging by the commentary in the Air Force webcast.

Resembling a miniature space shuttle, the plane is 8.9 meters (29 feet) long and has a wing-span of 4.5 meters.

The reusable space vehicle has been years in the making and the military has offered only vague explanations as to its purpose or role in the American military's arsenal.

The vehicle is designed to "provide an 'on-orbit laboratory' test environment to prove new technology and components before those technologies are committed to operational satellite programs," the Air Force said in a recent release.

Officials said the X-37B would eventually return for a landing at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, but did not say how long the inaugural mission would last.

"In all honesty, we don't know when it's coming back," Gary Payton, deputy undersecretary for Air Force space programs, told reporters in a conference call this week.

Payton said the plane could stay in space for up to nine months.

Flight controllers plan to monitor the vehicle's guidance, navigation and control systems, but the Air Force has declined to discuss what the plane is carrying in its payload or what experiments are scheduled.

Pentagon officials have sidestepped questions about possible military missions for the spacecraft, as well as the precise budget for its development -- estimated at hundreds of millions of dollars.
The results of the test flight will inform "development programs that will provide capabilities for our warfighters in the future," Payton said.

Industry analysts have speculated the Pentagon must have military capabilities in mind for the unmanned spacecraft or else would not have invested so much time and money in the effort.
The space plane -- manufactured by Boeing -- began as a project of NASA in 1999, and was eventually handed over to the US Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office.

Once in space, the vehicle is powered by solar cells and lithium-ion batteries.

The Air Force has plans for a second X-37B, scheduled to launch in 2011.

:elvis:

Nitro Express
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I looks like a remote control space shuttle. Since China demonstrated it can blow up satalites at will there is now a cold war in space. Take out your enemie's GPS system and that throws a big wrench into modern military operations. Artillery units can't even use a artillery compass anymore. It's all GPS automated which means you can do more with dumber soldiers.

chefcraig
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I read about this in today's morning paper. Tell me something, because perhaps I'm a little bit slow on the uptake here, but exactly how "TOP SECRET" can a project be when it is available at Youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCpuv9RCwE&feature=player_embedded

ELVIS
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
The craft itself is not the secret...

thome
04-23-2010, 03:58 PM
It is going up to space, behind the moon, to pay our annual ransom to -The Space Dude Super Alien Cats- that are holding our planet ransom for -Salt- ..not rock salt.. not the billions of metric tonnes of salt that can be claimed from our oceans, not the -Salza- that dude kept talking about on that "Tony Show" from Sicily, not the salt I soak my balls in when the goomers are all tuckered out from a hard days pounding the hardwoods landing pads of Missy thome...they are only satisfied with -Salt- that was formerly going to be used in processed foods.

YES! Another government conspiracy outed by......................... The thome!

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM
It is going up to space, behind the moon, to pay our annual ransom to -The Space Dude Super Alien Cats- that are holding our planet ransom for -Salt- ..not rock salt.. not the billions of metric tonnes of salt that can be claimed from our oceans, not the -Salza- that dude kept talking about on that "Tony Show" from Sicily, not the salt I soak my balls in when the goomers are all tuckered out from a hard days pounding the hardwoods landing pads of Missy thome...they are only satisfied with -Salt- that was formerly going to be used in processed foods.

YES! Another government conspiracy outed by......................... The thome!

what do we pay our ransom with? dollars? politicians? lemmings?

chefcraig
04-23-2010, 04:13 PM
what do we pay our ransom with? dollars? politicians? lemmings?

I have absolutely no idea, but I think it would be a good idea to give him whatever he asks for, and quickly...

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/466/cielingcatcreates.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/cielingcatcreates.jpg/)

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I have absolutely no idea, but I think it would be a good idea to give him whatever he asks for, and quickly...

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/466/cielingcatcreates.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/cielingcatcreates.jpg/)

my guess would be mini lemmings

thome
04-23-2010, 05:14 PM
lemmie'ingbreakit down for you you see Humpty likes his oatmeal lumpy..but I digress and i also am bieng fitted for some new finger slut wear and a new hand wig.... enough digressing.

I should have seperated the punchline from the exit stage left lead in..you see the

[the moon, to pay our annual ransom to -The Space Dude Super Alien Cats- that are holding our planet ransom for -Salt- ..not rock salt.. not the billions of metric tonnes of salt that can be claimed from our oceans, not the -Salza- ]

Some times know in Ghost Hunting and Cryptozoologist lingo as, "Cieling Cat" are needing >ONLY< the..

[ they are only satisfied with -Salt-
that was formerly going to be used in processed foods.]

Other Salze is just Salt, they only want Government Food Preservative Salt....thus the other thread about Regulating Salt in Mummified Foods.

Now this is a long way to go but Elvi is a forgiving sort and it is just slightly more creative than padding my post count in some other propper padding type post count padding type thread....

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
lemmie'ingbreakit down for you you see Humpty likes his oatmeal lumpy..but I digress and i also am bieng fitted for some new finger slut wear and a new hand wig.... enough digressing.

I should have seperated the punchline from the exit stage left lead in..you see the

[the moon, to pay our annual ransom to -The Space Dude Super Alien Cats- that are holding our planet ransom for -Salt- ..not rock salt.. not the billions of metric tonnes of salt that can be claimed from our oceans, not the -Salza- ]

Some times know in Ghost Hunting and Cryptozoologist lingo as, "Cieling Cat" are needing >ONLY< the..

[ they are only satisfied with -Salt-
that was formerly going to be used in processed foods.]

Other Salze is just Salt, they only want Government Food Preservative Salt....thus the other thread about Regulating Salt in Mummified Foods.

Now this is a long way to go but Elvi is a forgiving sort and it is just slightly more creative than padding my post count in some other propper padding type post count padding type thread....

oh, so its full of subway meatball sammiches then. i see.

thome
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
yes sammiches.. should just wrote sammiches forthwith sanmmiches shal be know as the new Kat

MAX
04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I just read thome's latest reply off to the side on the front page and honestly thought someone had started a fucking thread called "US Military Lunches."

PETE'S BROTHER
04-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I just read thome's latest reply off to the side on the front page and honestly thought someone had started a fucking thread called "US Military Lunches."

wtf? you wrote it!!

Hardrock69
04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
We must make sacrifices to Ceiling Cat, else Basement Kat will take over....

Nitro Express
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM
It looks like a dildo. Maybe it's going to go into space and enter a black hole.