Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Stephen Hawking: Aliens may pose risks

Stephen Hawking: Aliens may pose risks

The Associated Press

1:19 PM CDT, April 25, 2010

LONDON (AP) - British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."

The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals - but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

The Discovery Channel said Sunday it will broadcast "Stephen Hawking's Universe" in Britain next month.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

They're already here.

Anybody visited Florida lately?

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

The first two (of four) hours of Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking airs this evening at 9PM(EST) on the Discovery Channel.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
        The first two (of four) hours of Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking airs this evening at 9PM(EST) on the Discovery Channel.
        Thanks for the heads-up, I LOVE this shit...

And yes, they're all over Florida.
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
          Thanks for the heads-up, I LOVE this shit...

And yes, they're all over Florida.
          By the way VAiN...speaking of aliens and Florida, ESPN's 30 For 30 documentary series features Ricky Williams this week. It's on Tuesday night.
          Last edited by chefcraig; 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Little Texan
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals - but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."
            I think Stephen Hawking may have watched too many science fiction movies.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
              I think Stephen Hawking may have watched too many science fiction movies.
              Yeah, the guy is out there in that spooky brilliant territory formerly roamed by Carl Sagan. The difference being that while Sagan was sort of goofy, Hawking really comes across as scary. Although pretty much written in layman's terms, his A Brief History Of Time, was utterly baffling in it's complex mathematics. Sagan's Cosmos (which more or less covered a great deal of the same subject matter) was much more user-friendly, and thus more accessible. At least it didn't give me a headache when I tried to comprehend some of the theories in play.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Well....they've reportedly already visited Sammy Hagar.

So if that says anything about aliens taste in humans, then FUCK 'EM!!!!!!!
                Originally posted by perilouspete
                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                  Well....they've reportedly already visited Sammy Hagar.

So if that says anything about aliens taste in humans...

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think that space and time is maybe just too damn big for it to happen.

Comment

• thome
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Mar 2005

I made it thru the first 21 minutes and I am about 10-15 to turning the channel...I love Music and respect the union and thier god given union doctrine that sais nothing can be produced without a soundtrac....those mother ...............................fukkers.

The last 4 years or so I am sick and fukking tired of these yoyo ma George Lucas MASSIVE PRODUCTION VALUE oboe playing chelo grinding sound tracs on a... narrated DOCUMENTARY.

I cannot hear the narration due to the bullshit fiddle grinding geeniouse artists rendition of SHUT THE FUKK UP!!!

Other than that, a good show ..except.. Hawking seems to be about 35 years behind me in his descriptions of the concepts of space time the universe and life.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

I have said before, but will repeat myself.

Too many people think a) there is no life in the cosmos except for our own. Most of these fucking idiots are Christian zealots who cannot conceive THE LORD-DUH JEEZESSS-AH creating any other races of beings in the universe, and b) aliens are going to be the "phone home" or "friendly Close Encounters" types of ETs portrayed in the movie biz.

It is just as likely they would be like those depicted in the films Independence Day, Predator, Alien, or War Of The Worlds.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

Sure, we might get lucky and have contact with a race or races who are benevolent and wish to help us.

But the powers that be have the mindset that we should be prepared for any eventuality regarding intelligent life out there.

You think we have all these nuclear missiles because the Pentagon is afraid of other countries on Earth? Only a couple a dozen or so would be enough to pretty much wipe out the rest of the world's major nations in a WWIII scenario. So you gots to ask yourself.....why do we have THOUSANDS of them?

Stephen Hawkings IS a smart man (obviously), and has COMMON SENSE.

Comment

• Dan
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Beam Me Up Scotty.
                          First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Stephen Hawking is the Christopher Columbus of the mind.

This is why the aliens will come for his brains and eat em.

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                              I have said before, but will repeat myself.

Too many people think a) there is no life in the cosmos except for our own. Most of these fucking idiots are Christian zealots who cannot conceive THE LORD-DUH JEEZESSS-AH creating any other races of beings in the universe, and b) aliens are going to be the "phone home" or "friendly Close Encounters" types of ETs portrayed in the movie biz.

It is just as likely they would be like those depicted in the films Independence Day, Predator, Alien, or War Of The Worlds.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

Sure, we might get lucky and have contact with a race or races who are benevolent and wish to help us.

But the powers that be have the mindset that we should be prepared for any eventuality regarding intelligent life out there.

You think we have all these nuclear missiles because the Pentagon is afraid of other countries on Earth? Only a couple a dozen or so would be enough to pretty much wipe out the rest of the world's major nations in a WWIII scenario. So you gots to ask yourself.....why do we have THOUSANDS of them?

Stephen Hawkings IS a smart man (obviously), and has COMMON SENSE.
                              I agree, HR. It makes sense what Hawking is saying. The Columbus thing is a great analogy and if they have the technology to get here, they are further advanced than us, who's to say what their intentions are.

Arguments saying that advanced civilization are less likely to be aggressive is based on what??????? Name one advanced civilization that wasn't.

I do think 90% of all UFO's were mistaken sightings or military experiments. It's that 10% that makes you wonder.......
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

Working...