PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins' Ricky Williams To Be Featured On This Evening's ESPN 30 For 30 Documentary

chefcraig
04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
If you'd like to join the Miami Dolphin fans who are still scratching their heads over the life decisions of the enigma known as Ricky Williams, then tune into ESPN at 8PM (EST) for the latest in the network's 30 For 30 documentary series, entitled Run Ricky Run (http://30for30.espn.com/film/run-ricky-run.html).

Williams' at times nebulous behavior will make a perfect lead in for ABC's LOST at 9PM.

PETE'S BROTHER
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
i love your use of "nebulous":baaa:

PETE'S BROTHER
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
in a completely hetero way of course.:biggrin:

MAX
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I love the 30/30 series. Every single one I've watched has been great. This should be interesting. Ricky was seemingly doomed from the start. Overhyped, Ditka trading all of the picks for him and that dumbass SI cover they did. Dumb. Nonetheless, I've been kinda rootin' for Ricky ever since I saw a thing on Inside the NFL a cupla years before he returned. I believe he was playin' in Canada and had recently stipped being a reefer addict. I'm all for people getting clean and especially a back as talented as Ricky was/is, etc.

MAX
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Watched it and just like the rest of 'em, it was great. I have a newfound respect for Ricky. Didn't know his father mentally fucked him like that? :barf: Also, and no big surprise here cos I didn't think it was possible for ANY program to make Joe Theissman come off as a more resentful prick than he already is? However, this show infact did just that.

chefcraig
04-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Watched it and just like the rest of 'em, it was great. I have a newfound respect for Ricky. Didn't know his father mentally fucked him like that? :barf: Also, and no big surprise here cos I didn't think it was possible for ANY program to make Joe Theissman come off as a more resentful prick than he already is? However, this show infact did just that.

Bro, it floored me. I'm not kidding, I am checking the ESPN site for when the replay airs, it was that good.

As for Theismann, I've always hated that guy. Remember that one evening, early on when ESPN was first covering football games? It was a Colts vs I forget match-up. Theismann says (and I roughly quote): "Do you know who this Jeff George guy reminds me of? Joe Namath". 'Nuff said. :umm:

MAX
04-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Bro, it floored me. I'm not kidding, I am checking the ESPN site for when the replay airs, it was that good.

As for Theismann, I've always hated that guy. Remember that one evening, early on when ESPN was first covering football games? It was a Colts vs I forget match-up. Theismann says (and I roughly quote): "Do you know who this Jeff George guy reminds me of? Joe Namath". 'Nuff said. :umm:

It was awesome and thanks again for reminding me it was on tonight. :) Again, I've always dug Ricky and you know that. He used to remind me of Earl Campbell, minus the elephant thighs. lol

Fucking Joe... :rolleyes: He's bitter cos of the entire LT broken leg thing and the fact that he's not in the HOF. I read even Riggo thinks/thought Joe was a whining douche. :lmao: Besides that, fucking Theismann has to be one of (if not) the WORST commentators EVER!!! Thank God ESPN dumped that old Sunday Night Crew cos they were horrible!!! Shit, their (ESPN) Sunday Night Baseball's almost as bad as well!!!

MAX
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
This post is kinda just for Craig...

Anyhoo, did you see the prieview for the next 30/30 doc? It's the parallel between N.W.A. gangsta sheeot and Grandma Al's Raiders when they did the whole L.A. gig. Oughta be interesting? Ice Cube narrates (might've directed it also?) the show.

chefcraig
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
This post is kinda just for Craig...

Anyhoo, did you see the prieview for the next 30/30 doc? It's the parallel between N.W.A. gangsta sheeot and Grandma Al's Raiders when they did the whole L.A. gig. Oughta be interesting? Ice Cube narrates (might've directed it also?) the show.

I'm looking forward to that, but I hope it covers more ground than just the Los Angeles years. I'm hopeful there will be some Stabler/Biletnikoff/Ted Hendricks/Dave Casper footage as well. That would make sitting through a rehash of the Compton experience worth sitting through, ya know?

MAX
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm looking forward to that, but I hope it covers more ground than just the Los Angeles years. I'm hopeful there will be some Stabler/Biletnikoff/Ted Hendricks/Dave Casper footage as well. That would make sitting through a rehash of the Compton experience worth sitting through, ya know?

Even though there's very little rap that I actually listen to, let alone enjoy. I always loved N.W.A. Eazy-Muthafukkin-E was the shit!!! Saw Ice Cube live at the second Lolapalooza in '92 along with RHCP, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. He was a highlight. Anyhoo, I don't think there's going to be much regarding the sea of hands nor the ghost to the post in this documentary. I think it's going to cover the importance of having a professional footy team was to gangstas in Los Angeles during the early 80's and through the riots in the early 90's. I mean, Los Angeles is such a joke for letting go of The Rams and also having TWO teams at one point. My money's that the show will focus more on the streets with maybe a little "Bo Knows" thrown in for good measure?

Fuck, Eazy's the only one even decked out in Raiders gear? :wtf:

http://couturesoles.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/nwa2.jpg

MAX
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Dunno if anyone else caught the latest 30/30 but as usual, I found it to be another great installment. I liked how and as I'd thought it would parallel N.W.A. and the whole gangsta image. Nonetheless, it gave me a lot to think about. First of all, I'd honestly forgotten how long they were actually in Los Angeles and how many great players pretty much spent their entire tenure in that city. Players such as Marcus (I'd still like to know that entire story between Grandma Al and himself?) Allen, Todd Christensen, Howie Long and fuck, even Tim Brown (even though he wasn't mentioned?) spent a long time there. Secondly, Al Davis looks like death warmed over, no? Anyhoo, the bastiiid's gotta be well into his 100's, right? lol

Since I've been such a Broncos fan forevah, they've always just been The Fucking Raiders to me. Whether it was Oakland or The City of Angels. Also found it a tad bit odd that the only mention of Bo Jackson was on the back of the jersey that Snoop Doggy Dog was adorning??

What else was way cool was recalling all of the actual influences with that whole gangsta style and quiverrin' crack "mystique." I never paid attention to The Kings changing their uniforms nor The White Sox cos of the colors prior to watching this show. I'm also really glad they showed what helped to ultimately drive them outta L.A. and the subsequent evolution of Raider Nation as we know it today. Meaning, the fucking violence. Fuck, when Todd Christensen stated how sucky it was that even his own family couldn't come to home games. Fuckin' whacked!!! Those fans are full blown whackaloon, criminal fucks and they wear it like a badge of honor. They tailgate by raping teenagers, breaking whiskey bottles over people's heads and BBQ'ing dog in the parking lot. Seriously, y'all know I'm not too far off? Fuckin' crezzi resthome raidaaah's.

I was also happy that N.W.A. was given a brief documentary within the episode. Loved MC Ren being interviewed and Eazy-Fuckin'-E's the badassed rapper of all time. Lastly, the two other things I fully enjoyed were the 80's "rappin' raider's" vid with Howie being a big and lame Vanilla Ice looong before there was one and the ancient clip of Lounge's hero Keith Olberman donning an extremely ghey mustache.

All in all, I loved it and wish they'd keep doing more NFL one's.

chefcraig
05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed it, yet I must sat the move from Oakland to LA did not have ramification for me, as I was a Florida guy with my own issues (the Dolphins). It was interesting how the change was portrayed on film, yet you really have to wonder how much of this perception was solely in the eyes of the filmmaker. I mean, I watched a documentary about the Doors this evening, and somehow Bobby Kennedy's death was factored into the band's significance. I don't get that.

It was an interesting hour of film, and unquestionably one guy's interpretation of things. Outside of that, there were a bunch of holes. What happened between Al Davis and Marcus Allen that lead to neither one commenting on it? Why did the various deals Davis set up with municipalities fall apart? Why have the Raiders turned into the league's embarrassment in the past seven years? Larger questions, never asked by the show. Then again, the parameters were never set that broad.

Hey, it was what it was, and succeeded on that level. In my mind, there is a far more interesting story to tell.

PETE'S BROTHER
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
al davis looked like a fuckin' corpse on that show. very scary!

MAX
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Indeed with regards to Garandma Al... Dunno what's keeping that entity alive whatsoever? Very friggin' creepy.

Liked your commentary Craig and do get your points.