X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

METALLICA's Master Of Puppets Named

Mkay. I found this interesting. Plucked from Blabbermouth.

METALLICA's 'Master Of Puppets' Named 'Best Heavy Metal Album Of All Time' - Apr. 29, 2010

METALLICA's 1986 LP "Master of Puppets" has been named the "best heavy metal album of all time" in a poll for musicians' web site MusicRadar.com.

With the results released on International Noise Awareness Day, MusicRadar.com teamed up with Metal Hammer, the U.K.'s best-selling heavy metal magazine, to create a countdown of the ultimate headbanging records. The online poll attracted over 6,000 votes from musicians and metal enthusiasts.

With a whopping 20% of total votes, "Master of Puppets" remains as popular today as when it was released in March 1986. Acclaimed by fans and critics alike, the album went multi-platinum, going on to sell over six million copies in the U.S. alone, despite receiving no radio airplay, with no single or music video to accompany it.

METALLICA's grip on the heavy metal scene is evident throughout the chart, with four of their albums appearing in the MusicRadar.com top 25. Today, the band continues to perform sold-out shows across the globe, with their music regularly appearing in best-selling videogames, including Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

The U.S. band beat legendary U.K. metal act IRON MAIDEN's 1982 album "The Number of the Beast" into second spot, with GUNS N' ROSES' "Appetite for Destruction" in third. Other acts in the top ten include Birmingham's BLACK SABBATH and AC/DC — who also soundtracked this week's blockbuster movie release, "Iron Man 2".

Mike Goldsmith, Editor-in-Chief of MusicRadar.com, said: "Whether it's AC/DC soundtracking 'Iron Man 2', RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE getting the Christmas No. 1 or IRON MAIDEN winning a Brit, heavy metal is no longer an underground concern. Over 6,000 musicians and metalheads agree and have voted in what is MusicRadar.com's most popular poll yet. It's another award for METALLICA's thrash masterpiece and is the perfect soundtrack for International Noise Awareness Day. Turn it up!"

Alexander Milas, Editor of Metal Hammer, added, "This is a thrilling result — but it will come as no surprise to long time fans, as METALLICA's 'Master of Puppets' is an absolute landmark for our beloved genre. Ranging from the crushing and frenetic 'Battery' to the stately elegance of 'Orion', 'Master of Puppets' still explodes with the sweat-soaked denim of the band's more humble beginnings. Should the god-like IRON MAIDEN have won the poll? Are GUNS N' ROSES really heavy metal? Debates like these will rage forever on, and it's a testament to the intelligence and incredible passion of metalheads around the globe."

MusicRadar.com's "Best Heavy Metal Albums Of All Time":

01. METALLICA - Master of Puppets (1986)
    02. IRON MAIDEN - The Number of the Beast (1982)
    03. GUNS N' ROSES - Appetite for Destruction (1987)
    04. METALLICA - Ride the Lightning (1984)
    05. SLAYER - Reign in Blood (1986)
    06. MEGADETH - Rust in Peace (1990)
    07. BLACK SABBATH – Paranoid (1970)
    08. AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)
    09. PANTERA - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
    10. IRON MAIDEN - Powerslave (1984)

The full rundown of MusicRadar.com's best heavy metal album of all-time poll is available online at this location.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I always thought Ride The Lightning was better.

Last edited by FORD; 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Looking at that list I would have to put The Number of the Beast ahead of Masturbator of Puppets but that is just my opinion.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

You can view the entire list here. I dunno...Skid Row and System Of A Down don't necessarily strike me as metal. And why bother to mention a Rainbow live album that wasn't even released until 2006, when the original On Stage (from 1977) clearly blows it out of the water?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Nice to see Holy Diver. One of my all time fav's

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I know it's all labels but GNR were not Heavy Metal.

The only good thing about calling them that is that it would annoy Axl.

Comment

• Anonymous
              Banned
              • May 2004

Shit, all those buzzphrases & all they got was a measly 6,000 votes.

Heavy Metal goes corporate retarded.

6,000 fuckin' votes... it's enough to make you wanna cry in shame, not get all excited like those retards are doing. The problem with Metal isn't the music... it's most of the people who listen to it. A hardcore Metalhead will cause more people to avoid our beloved musical genre than the noisiest and/or lame album.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

I still can't get my head around the fact that Ritchie Blackmore gets on the list not for "In Rock" or "Machine Head", but for a crummy Rainbow live album released 10 years after the band broke up.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Anonymous
                  Banned
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  I still can't get my head around the fact that Ritchie Blackmore gets on the list not for "In Rock" or "Machine Head", but for a crummy Rainbow live album released 10 years after the band broke up.
                  Chef! It's a 6,000 people list! It's... nothing.

It doesn't represent anything.

WE could make a list. 6,000. You know how low that number is? Get some anti-depressants & start a Hannah Montana or a Twilight poll. You'll realize soon enough.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2005

Give me a f'ing break. Haven't Metallica been anointed enough? It was a damn good album but #1 of all time? I guess VH I, WACF and FW are just chopped liver, hugh? I'm sorry but Van Halen's debut album stands up to anything. I assure you that in 1978 it was heavy metal. Some more surprises that didn't make the list, imo, are Priest's Screaming For Vengeance, Ted Nugent -self titled, and Def Leppard - High and Dry. By the way, if you are going to put Skid Row on there, why would you not put Motley's Shout at the Devil or Ratt's Out of the Cellar on there instead?
                    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

I'd actually agree that 'Master...' is the superlative Heavy Metal record. Judging by the other stuff in the that list, however, the 6000 voters were not hardcore metal heads....
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

I would rank Master Of Puppets top 3...maybe 1 if I sat & thought a bit. It sure created a whole hell of a lot of new metal heads. But Megadeth, I like Peace Sells best from their offerings.

GnR doesn't belong there. That album was good for it's time, but burned out quickly. I haven't listened to it front to back in ages...ages.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

I think 'Appetite' is a classic album, and outstanding piece. But it isn't metal, and consequently it shouldn't be on tha list.
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

Of all time? It may be Metallica's best album, but definitely not all time. I could give a shit less about some douchebag's poll, because none of us were voting, and only our opinions count.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It`s horseshit that any album by an American band could win a "Best Heavy Metal" album.

Heavy Metal is, IMO, a British music.

Yes, there are musically some good American HM bands but none with the humour that bands like Sabbath, Maiden and Priest put between the riffs and lyrics.

The US bands are far too serious and I have always had a problem getting into them because of that, not rock bands but the ones who use HM concepts.

It`s all bullshit anyway, YOUR favourite is YOUR favourite despite what any list says.

Just one man`s opinion.
                              sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

Working...