PDA

View Full Version : First Van Halen Demo Recording on YouTube ?

Maggi
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi y'all !

It's been a while since I've been here and I must admit, I like the new design !

However, I just stumbled over a suposedly first demo recording of VH on YouTube:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCroWtQrDmQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCroWtQrDmQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Aside from the horrible sound quality, does anybody have a clue if this is a genuine recording ?

Sorry if this was posted before, searching for it didn't yield any results ...

Roth On !
Maggi

FORD
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Yep. It's definitely them. Sounds like the early lineup with Mark Stone on bass. Probably from that Cherokee Studios demo in 1973, where they also cut early versions of "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme" along with the acoustic ballad "Angel Eyes" which never saw an official release.

Jagermeister
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Thats on several bootlegs. I can't recall all of them but it's on "the old testament" for sure. Cool stuff.

Maggi
05-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanx a lot for your feedback, guys !

By any chance, does anybody of you know about HiFi versions of those early demos ?

[edit]
Nevermind, I guess I found it (http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f62/van-halen-the-demography-1974-1984-a-79217.html) ... :D

VanHalenFan5150
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I've managed to track down almost every demo they ever recorded, and that says a lot. But, I've never been able to find hi-fi or good quality ones for the early demos. :picknose:

Maggi
05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Maybe you didn't see the link I found (http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f62/van-halen-the-demography-1974-1984-a-79217.html) in my above posting ?

:sleazy-smiley:

It's an a allegedly complete compilation of all demos and the quality ranges from aweful to awesome, there's really some top stuff among it !

:killer:

The even included notes about the tracks' origins and stuff:

Notes:
Disc 1
Early Studio Demos--JS Remaster

Glitter Demos (Unknown date): These are believed by some to be the earliest demos in circulation. They were released via Dave TV on davidleeroth.com in 1998. Based on the age and style of music, these could be Mammoth demos from very early, however, a reliable source has put them as much later in VH's career with "Kicks" possibly being from David Lee Roth's "Crazy From The Heat" sessions. These are in a lossy format since they were released via the Web site, and David Lee Roth has the masters.

1. Glitter
2. Kicks (Cover of Paul Revere and the Raiders)
3. Gentlemen of Leisure

Cherokee Studios, Chatworth, CA (1974) JS Remaster:
These are rumored to be from 1973, but are most likely 1974 based on the timeline of the band’s development. It is also rumored that Mark Stone was on the bass, but interviews place Michael Anthony in the band as early as 1972, so it is unlikely. Another story says that when Michael Anthony joined the band, they handed him this tape and told him to learn the songs. David Lee Roth plays guitar on “Angel Eyes”

4. Angel Eyes
5. Believe Me
6. Simple Rhyme
7. Take Your Whiskey Home

Unknown 1975-1976 Demos (Unknown Date(s)) JS Remaster:
This is a band produced demo recorded at an unknown location. Possibly the defunct Hound Dog Studios in Los Angeles or David Lee Roth's basement. Tracks 8 and 9 are rumoured to be from the Pasadena Hilton.

8. Instrumental – Guitar track of Edward messing around on guitar. Features riffs from “Somebody Get Me A Doctor”
9. Talk – Dave and the guys messing around with some women that were in the studio.
10. Babe Don't Leave Me Alone
11. Fools
12. Ice Cream Man
13. She's The Woman
14. Woman In Love

Gene Simmons Demos Produced by Gene Simmons, Village Recorder Studios, Los Angeles, CA/ Electric Ladyland Studios, New York City, NY 1976 Tracks 15-18 on disc 1 and 1-6 on disc 2 from the Zero bootleg. Tracks 7 and 8 from disc 2 are alternate takes from Wooda's master tape copy.

15. On Fire
16. House Of Pain
17. Runnin' With the Devil
18. She's the Woman

Disc 2
1. Let's Get Rockin'
2. Big Trouble
3. Somebody Get Me a Doctor
4. Babe, Don't Leave Me Alone
5. Woman in Love
6. Put Out The lights
7. House of Pain
8. Runnin’ With The Devil

Warner Brothers Demos (1977) JS Remaster, Produced by Ted Templeman and Mo Ostin. Best version of these demos available.

9. Let's Get Rockin'
10. We Die Bold
11. Voodoo Queen
12. Little Dreamer
13. Babe Don't Leave Me Alone
14. Bring On The Girls
15. Young & Wild
16. House Of Pain
17. On Fire
18. Last Night

Disc 3
1. Light In The Sky
2. Get The Show On The Road
3. D.O.A.
4. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
5. Show Your Love
6. She's The Woman
7. I Wanna Be Your Lover
8. Feel Your Love Tonight
9. In A Simple Rhyme
10. Runnin' With The Devil
11. Piece Of Mind
12. You Really Got Me
13. Put Out The Lights
14. Big Trouble
15. Happy Trails

Pasadena Rehearsals (10/15/1977) Remastered by Wooda. Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love and On Fire from the rehearsals were often rumored to be takes from the Gene Simmons Demos or Unknown Demo tracks. From Wooda's Master Tape. Not really demos, but they've been included on other demo complilations, so as not to have them "missing" they are included.

16. On Fire Instrumental Rehearsal
17. VooDoo Queen Instrumental Rehearsal
18. Atomic Punk Instrumental Rehearsal
19. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love Rehearsal with Vocals
20. On Fire Rehearsal With Vocals

Disc 4
Women And Children First Sessions (1980):

Studio outtakes from the Women And Children First Studio Sessions. Pumpkihn Remaster.
1. And The Cradle Will Rock...
2. Romeo Delight
3. Instrumental
4. Everybody Wants Some!!
5. Loss Of Control
6. Fools
7. Take Your Whiskey Home Intro
8. Take Your Whiskey Home
9. In A Simple Rhyme

The 1984 Sessions (1983)

Instrumental Studio Takes from the 1984 Studio Sessions. Quality is not great. Mostly just jamming in the studio without vocals.
10. 1984 Jam

Bonus Tracks:

11. 79th and Sunset (David Lee Roth 1982 interview with Jim Ladd)
12. Crossroads Blues (Edward Van Halen 1984 Interview with Lisa Robinson)
13. Gonna Take a Lotta Drugs (David Lee Roth and friends unknown date)

VanHalenFan5150
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, that's what I have exactly. It's called Van Halen: The Demography 1974-1984. But I have other demos too.

Maggi
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
funny shit ... I just heard "Last Night" for the first time in my life and while the lyrics are completely unknown to me, music is pretty much identical to "Hang 'em High"

:D

chefcraig
05-07-2010, 08:49 AM
There is some debate as to when the version of "Kicks" included on Early Studio Demos was recorded (See LINK (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?58286-Dave-Performing-quot-Kicks-quot-By-Paul-Revere-amp-The-Raiders)). Here is another track that is more than likely from that early era, possibly by Mammoth. Both this and the track offered in the first post of the thread feature the same bizarre type of ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQlqK_QJBg&feature=PlayList&p=BE4F310DB3ADD748&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=65

Maggi
05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanx man !

That track is also on the compilation ... :)

Before I found that set, all other demos and bootlegs I came across where of really low quality.

chefcraig
05-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Before I found that set, all other demos and bootlegs I came across where of really low quality.

Yeah, and it's a shame. Do to the volume the band played at in clubs, the crummy recording equipment (usually a cheap cassette machine) was nominally overwhelmed, resulting in some truly horrific audience recordings from that era. The fact that these tapes have been repeatedly used on a variety of bootlegs (with some being bootlegs of bootlegs :duh:) has resulted in sound quality that is pretty dismal. It's also a significant loss that portable home video taping machines were still years away from being invented. Today, anyone can record a show and have it up on Youtube within 3 hours of the event. Back then, you needed two assistants and a station wagon to cart around the equipment needed to film a day at Disney World, and it weighed as much as a riding lawnmower. :(

Big Troubles
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM
funny, i always thought "kicks" "gentlemen of leisure" & "glitter" were demos from 84/85 with VH before 5150.

Jagermeister
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I've managed to track down almost every demo they ever recorded, and that says a lot. But, I've never been able to find hi-fi or good quality ones for the early demos. :picknose:

I have also and ditto. There are no known "good quality" demos. That really isn't the reason we collect them though.

VAiN
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Both this and the track offered in the first post of the thread feature the same bizarre type of ending.

I read somewhere that explosion ending is from roth radio?

chefcraig
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Double Post...

chefcraig
05-07-2010, 06:20 PM

I read something like that as well, friend. It's entirely possible that was the source for the bootleg, which is odd when you consider it's usually the other way around.

Here's another track mentioned in The Demography 1974-1984 track listing. Apparently this features Dave on the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8b_bq8Eueo

Big Troubles
05-07-2010, 08:46 PM

it was. internet radio show explosion ending.

VanHalenFan5150
05-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Angel Eyes was actually demoed for Van Halen II but the band decided not to add it to the already pop album because it was quite a departure from their overall band sound, but no surprise here, no recordings of the VH2 sessions of this song exist.

FORD
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Angel Eyes was actually demoed for Van Halen II but the band decided not to add it to the already pop album because it was quite a departure from their overall band sound, but no surprise here, no recordings of the VH2 sessions of this song exist.

One would assume that an "official" recording would be the full band, and not just Dave on an acoustic guitar like the 1973 demo. The reason it was probably cut from the album was that someone (probably Dave) thought "Dance the Night Away" and "Women In Love" represented the "songs about chicks" enough for one album.

Maybe it's one of those things secured in the vault, like the version of Down In Flames they recorded for that album? Or the version of House of Pain that was probably recorded for the first album (linked to RWTD by the car horn, just as it was on the Chaim Witz produced demo tape now known as "Zero")