PDA

View Full Version : Thin Lizzy is back with new line up...

Diamondjimi
05-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Is New THIN LIZZY Lineup Little More Than Glorified Tribute Band? - May 13, 2010
The Belfast Telegraph reports that almost 25 years after the death of legendary Irish rocker Phil Lynott, THIN LIZZY is set to hit the road again — this time with THE ALMIGHTY frontman Ricky Warwick at the helm.

Warwick, 43, replaces Lynott in the latest reincarnation, joining THIN LIZZY alumni Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton. Also on board are DEF LEPPARD's Vivian Campbell and former WHITESNAKE bassist Marco Mendoza.

Stuart Bailie of the Oh Yeah Centre in Belfast said that while the new THIN LIZZY lineup was great news for Warwick, whom he described as a "100% rocker," he thought the new formation's pedigree "was suspect."

"It's crossing over, really, from reunion to tribute band, so it's something of a hybrid," he said.

"I saw the great THIN LIZZY in the Ulster Hall in 1978 and that memory is still intact. That is the way I want to keep it.

"When you see QUEEN perform with Paul Rodgers on vocals, it is not quite the same experience as seeing the original QUEEN and I'm guessing it will be the same with this lineup, although it does have some of its original lineup.

"What people will be seeing is a photocopy of a photocopy — although I wouldn't knock the guys for doing it. Does it sully Lynott's legacy?

"I'm not sure about that but it's never going to be the same experience without the great man himself."

Read more from the Belfast Telegraph.

THIN LIZZY 2010 is:

Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Darren Wharton - Keyboards
Vivian Campbell - Guitar
Marco Mendoza - Bass Guitar
Ricky Warwick - Lead Vocals / Guitar

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/thinlizzy2010.jpg

Linkage... (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140016)

jero
05-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Thin Lizzy used to be a three piece band.

Dan
05-14-2010, 03:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmPhJkdTwU

Seshmeister
05-14-2010, 03:35 AM
I know they have to make a living but meh...

binnie
05-14-2010, 04:55 AM
I am a huge Ricky Warwick fan, but this is a joke.

Leave it alone guys.

Seshmeister
05-14-2010, 05:14 AM
There are huge Ricky Warwick fans?

Who knew...? :)

It's a terrible match.

kissfan1976
05-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I love Thin Lizzy(with Phil only).
Brian Downey is a very underrated drummer.

Mr Badguy
05-14-2010, 08:21 AM
There are actually more members than the last "reunion" with Sykes/Gorham/Mendoza/Aldridge but this looks really crap.

As long as they don`t go writing songs then I don`t have a problem with it.

However, I won`t be buying a ticket for it, either.

Igosplut
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I love Thin Lizzy(with Phil only).

Me too. Whoever owns the Thin Lizzy name must be broke......

chefcraig
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM

The whole thing seems so cut-rate and crummy. Over the years, you've had former members of Ozzy's band, Whitesnake and now Def Leppard playing in the group. The Gary Moore tribute to Phil (with Downey, Robertson, Bell and Gorham) should have been the final word. Enough already.

kwame k
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
This is complete an utter bullshit, period.......so it takes six guys to do what a trio did?

Knowing that Vivian Campbell is in it pretty much means all the life will be sucked out of it......the dude's the guitar version of Desmond Child.

binnie
05-14-2010, 03:03 PM
There are huge Ricky Warwick fans?

Who knew...? :)

It's a terrible match.

The Almighty must have been your kind of era, right?

78/84 guy
05-14-2010, 08:06 PM
There are actually more members than the last "reunion" with Sykes/Gorham/Mendoza/Aldridge but this looks really crap.

As long as they don`t go writing songs then I don`t have a problem with it.

However, I won`t be buying a ticket for it, either.

Crazy !! The Gary Moore thing should have been it. At least he could sing a little like Phil. They better not record something new. That would be a shame. If they want to play the tunes I can live with it I guess. These guy's live off of these old band names too sell tickets so they can play, it's getting too be sad with some of this shit !! We thought VH was bullshit with Wolfie !!

GreenBayLA
05-16-2010, 04:56 AM
I've never seen Thin Lizzy live and I guess I never will now.

Seshmeister
05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
The Almighty must have been your kind of era, right?

We blew them off the stage at the Barrowlands back in the day! :D

They seemed to be nice enough blokes and let us borrow some gear off them but I always thought they were kind of mediocre musically.

I guess so are Motorhead and they have done ok.

Diamondjimi
05-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Brian Downey is a very underrated drummer.

Very under-rated...
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRQUyDXsa2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRQUyDXsa2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

The Lynott estate owns it. I'm sure Phil's mother & ex-wife don't mind the cheques...

binnie
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
We blew them off the stage at the Barrowlands back in the day! :D

They seemed to be nice enough blokes and let us borrow some gear off them but I always thought they were kind of mediocre musically.

I guess so are Motorhead and they have done ok.

'Powertrip', 'Crank', 'Just Add Life'.....great records....

Seshmeister
05-16-2010, 03:35 PM
After my time, I only heard their first album and never really followed their career after that.

I'll maybe check out the later stuff if you say it's good.

Anonymous
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Holy shit, now THERE'S a joke & not even a good one.

Thin Lizzy, my arse. Bunch of faggots trying to make a buck out of that name. Pick a new name for the fuckin' band, arseholes!

Cheers! :bottle:

Ralphy Lee Fox
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Seen 'em a couple of years ago, with Sykes fronting the band. At least with Tommy Aldridge on the drums they were entertaining and fun to watch.

ThrillsNSpills
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Boy the guys in this Heinz 57 version of Thin Lizzy are really going to earn they're twinkies having to put up with Vivian Campbell's accent.

Mr. Vengeance
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
No Phil Lynot, no Thin Lizzy. Stop trying to sell it as Lizzy you greedy fuckers!!!!!!!

Lizzy ceased to exist the day Phil died.

Green Manalishi
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I have to agree . This band and its legacy died with Phil Lynott . Leave it go with some measure of dignity .

I'm assuming Vivian Campbell is out of Def Leppard . Does anyone know ?

Marco Mendoza had a pretty good gig for a few years as Ted Nugents bassist / backup vocalist . Oddly enough , Tommy Aldridge was the drummer .

I saw Thin Lizzy a couple of times way back in the day . Even though they were the opening band , they were pretty good and they went over very well with

the crowd . I saw them open for Nazareth in about 1978 and for Journey in 1979 . I believe that was the last time they ever played in St. Louis .

Thin Lizzy was a good band and never really got the respect they deserved when they were actually around . There is a lot more to this band then " Jail

Break " and " Boy Are Back In Town " .

78/84 guy
08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I picked up the Live & Dangerous dvd & Are You Ready from Rockpalast, both are very good. Great band. The live stuff is the best. Just like most good band's.

Satan
08-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Phil is really pissed about this shit himself. Fake Lizzy has no fans in Hell.

binnie
01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I actually saw this line up of Thin Lizzy in Manchester on Friday. I went on a whim, a spur of the moment thing really.

I expected it to be average at best, but I must say that it was a really strong show. I think it worked because no one was pretending that it was anything other than what it was: a celebration and honouring of classic, classic songs.

The band may have lacked the groove they have of old, but they still rocked pretty hard.

Certainly far from the train crash I was expecting......

lesfunk
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I think keeping Phil's music alive is a noble act but yeah, it's a tribute, not Thin Lizzy. Whatever. I saw the Sykes led version back in 2004 and enjoyed it for what it's worth.

Hardrock69
01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Just found a bootleg DVD of their last performance. The original band, that is. 4/9/83 in Dublin Ireland. Man....they fucking ruled.

This current 'lineup' is a fucking scam.

binnie
01-24-2011, 05:10 AM
I thought it might be a 'scam' too, but it was much better than you could imagine. Largely because no-one on stage was pretending that it was anything other than a tribute.

Seshmeister
01-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Did Ricky Warwick black up?

binnie
01-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes.

And Vivian Campbell came on stage wasted......

kwame k
01-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I take it you were there, Binnie..........

FORD
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Someone should call up Vince McMahon and get him to set up a cage match between Fake Lizzy and Fake Skynyrd. Only fake wrestling isn't really enough. We need a real deathmatch where hopefully none of them make it out alive.

binnie
01-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I take it you were there, Binnie..........

Yep. See above, post 26. Much better than you'd think, largely because everyone was there to celebrate the songs rather than pretend this was in any way equivalent to the original line-up