Democrat-Scum US Senate Hopeful LIES About Vietnam Service.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Democrat-Scum US Senate Hopeful LIES About Vietnam Service.

Richard Blumenthal, the Connecticut attorney general and presumed favorite to replace retiring Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), never served in Vietnam, despite frequent campaign trail references to his days serving in-country during the Vietnam War.

The revelation comes from an exposé in The New York Times, which details Blumenthal's 1970 enlistment in the Marine Reserve after receiving five previous deferments to attend Harvard College, attend graduate school in England, work for the Nixon administration and briefly work for The Washington Post. According to the Times, Blumenthal's Washington-based Marine unit performed local projects during the war, such as a Toys for Tots drive.

But Blumenthal, a Democrat, has spoken about his time in Vietnam during multiple campaign appearances around the state of Connecticut, including to a veterans group in Norwalk in 2008, when he said, "We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam."

He also once lamented the treatment Vietnam veterans received when they returned from service. "I remember the taunts, the insults, sometimes even physical abuse," he told a Bridgeport rally that same year. At a rally in 2003 where family members gathered to express support for American troops overseas, Blumenthal said, "When we returned, we saw nothing like this. Let us do better by this generation of men and women."

The Times interviewed Blumenthal for the article, who said he usually tries to make clear he served in the military in the Vietnam era, but not in combat in Vietnam. "My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam," he said.

On Tuesday, Blumenthal told the Associated Press that the Times story was an "outrageous distortion." He said he misspoke on a couple of occasions, and clearly stated in a televised debate in March that he had not served in Vietnam.

Meanwhile, his Republican opponent, Linda McMahon, took the unusual step of taking credit for the story. A blog post on the campaign's website says the campaign "fed" the story to the Times, and the author confirmed to The Daily Caller that McMahon's campaign is indeed taking credit for the story.

Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the National Republican Senate Committee, said Blumenthal owed Connecticut voters an explanation. "If you can't trust him to tell the truth about whether or not he served in Vietnam, you have to wonder what exactly you can trust about Richard Blumenthal," he said.

A Rasmussen poll conducted last week showed Blumenthal beating every other candidate by double digits, including his closest rival, McMahon, whom he led by 13 points.

Reaction to the story on Capitol Hill Tuesday varied.

Sen. Chris Dodd, whose seat Blumenthal would fill, stood by the attorney general, saying, "I know Dick Blumenthal. My support for him is unwaivering and I think he'll be a great United States senator."

Connecticut's other senator, Joe Lieberman, took a more muted approach. "It just happened, we need to give him time to respond," Lieberman said.

Republicans called the news "a blockbuster revelation."

Sen. John Cornyn, the GOP's top Senate recruiter, said the news would absolutly make the Connecticut Senate race more competitive for his party. "I haven't heard his explanation, but I think its got to be very damaging and I hope there is a good explanation for it," Cornyn said.

But Dodd took Cornyn's and other Republicans' predictions of Democratic demise in Connecticut reaction in stride. "Well they think that about every seat."

Mari Fagel contributed to this report.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

LINK

Where is your fucking outrage, DemocRATS?
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
      At this point in life, I have very little outrage left, having spent it on the dubious activities of both parties over the years. As a result, I tend to save it for the things in life that really matter, like when some dolt has more than 10 items or less in front of me at the express check-out, uncaring twits that leave their dogs out non-sheltered in the back yard 24/7 and allow them to bark unending, and the ignoramus that insists on bellowing into a cell phone while I'm attempting to watch a movie in a theater.

Politicians lie? Wow, now that's a newsflash. Got any word on the Hindenburg?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
        At this point in life, I have very little outrage left, having spent it on the dubious activities of both parties over the years. As a result, I tend to save it for the things in life that really matter, like when some dolt has more than 10 items or less in front of me at the express check-out, uncaring twits that leave their dogs out non-sheltered in the back yard 24/7 and allow them to bark unending, and the ignoramus that insists on bellowing into a cell phone while I'm attempting to watch a movie in a theater.

Politicians lie? Wow, now that's a newsflash. Got any word on the Hindenburg?
        Exactly BBB, this is weak, there's been a ton of lying scumbags on both sides, one is not exclusive to being the "good guys" at this point/
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• WACF
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Same goes in the Canada.

Even when your government of choice is in power...they always seem to disappoint.

It is gotten to the point of picking they guys that fuck up the least and are not quite as scummy as the rest.

Kinda like picking the best of the worst.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
            LINK

If you really wanted some commentary and debate with us, you could have used a nicer invitation than this.

Think I'll pass until you grow up a tad.

Have fun talking to yourself and Papsmar
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Well, I can tell you coming from the military side of the house, this is a big no-no....

This is sorta like when Adm. Boorda was wearing a combat "V" (for Valor) on his medal when he didn't earn them in the mid '90's. Of course, Boorda killed himself over that, so hopefully this won't get to that point.

It's also similar to clowns that feign to have Purple Hearts, stuff like that....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Blumenthal's an ass (like all DLC'ers) and he fucked himself by making these claims. Funny how he's being attacked here by somebody who defended a wartime deserting Chimp, though.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Well, I can tell you coming from the military side of the house, this is a big no-no....

This is sorta like when Adm. Boorda was wearing a combat "V" (for Valor) on his medal when he didn't earn them in the mid '90's. Of course, Boorda killed himself over that, so hopefully this won't get to that point.

It's also similar to clowns that feign to have Purple Hearts, stuff like that....
                  Believe me, I wasn't belittling the importance of a person's service record, nor the heinous act of lying about one when so many have served honorably. My point was more toward the cynicism many Americans have with regard to politicians in general. If a person is willing to fabricate details of his/her service record (and believe that no one will bother to fact-check the info), it points to a larger issue at hand, one of outright stupidity. The duplicity is bad enough without adding the insult of carrying out the act with such callous arrogance and "above it all" indifference that the politician believes nobody will notice, nor will he/she be held accountable for the act.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

1. This guy is stupid for lying about something like that. If your goal is to be a successful politician these days, you do not lie about stuff that is easily verifiable. Fucking moron.

2. BigBadBrucie again, has posted a lame fucking post, and seems irate the nobody is getting upset over it. The same reason he was probably mad at people who were not angry with Clinton for lying about his blowjob/cigar festivities with Monica Blewinsky.

If the subject at hand was, say, Chimpy and Dickless Cheney being traitors by murdering our own soldiers, why yes, that is something worth getting outraged over.

But then, BigBadBrucie gets irate over irrational shit, so what the fuck.

Comment

• conmee
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

My grandfather was on a minelayer on December 7, 1941 moored next to the cruiser Helena, directly across the harbor from USS Arizona. He spent the entire war in the Pacific theater. My father was on a riverboat in Vietnam (just like the one in Apocalypse Now - similar results), got his ass shot off (quite literally they grafted parts of his ass to the big fucking hole in his shoulder from enemy fire, spent the rest of his career on the carrier USS Constellation - she's now mothballed in Bremerton, WA).

Point being that some people don't join the "Guard" or "Reserves" (all due respect to those folks) and don't ask for multiple deferments/exceptions to stay in the States, but actually go out there and put life on the line to serve this country.

Like many other d-bags, including "Chimpy" (I can't even remember former President's name anymore, thanks FORD), who skirt the system and then years later want to capitalize on the cache of being a "veteran" it really is one of the worst offenses a politician can make. Cheat on your wife, fine. Embezzle funds from charities, ok. Being a self-righteous closeted bigot/homo, no prob. But to try to revel in the sacrifices (life and death) of others who actually contributed and made a difference is pretty pathetic.

I can see how easily the mind of a politician, always looking for advantage, weighed the pros and cons... well, I will get a big boost immediately and if my true record comes to light I'll say I misspoke "in" for "during." From a cost/benefit analysis, unless the public and veterans are truly outraged and carry that outrage to the polls/voting booth, it's a win-win for politicians. But I blame the public and voters for this type of behavior because politicians know that they are rarely held accountable, particularly incumbents. Sobbing on TV, press release apologies written by handlers, generally, if you can handle some public embarrassment (and the sobering realization that you can toss aside integrity for personal gain, and statistically speaking, beat the system), well who wouldn't do the same? Not many honest people with character, integrity, and conviction (unless criminal) even bother with political office anymore. Regardless of party affiliation, it is what it is.

Someone has a good quote from Jefferson or Franklin or maybe even Karl Fucking Marx along the lines of getting the government you deserve. Well, being apathetic, lazy, and uninvolved/uninterested by the mass of voters (an influence void filled enthusiastically by corporations and special interests) has left us where we are today.

Until more people really care and get involved, I don't think any of us will be surprised to see more of the same from both parties for the foreseeable future.

That is all.

Icon©®™
                      An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                      hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• knuckleboner
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

yeah, BBB, not sure what you were expecting.

without question, everybody would agree that there are idiots on both sides. clearly this guy is an idiot.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                          yeah, BBB, not sure what you were expecting.

without question, everybody would agree that there are idiots on both sides. clearly this guy is an idiot.
                          Also, I think everyone would agree that BBB is a moron.

Went for the cheap shot.......
                          Originally posted by vandeleur
                          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Gee Brianne. What about the time the pussy bitch Republicun't that never served in the military accused the sitting Democratic congressman that lost three limbs in Vietnam and won several medals of being a "coward?"
                            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 05-19-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

BigBadBrucie probably agreed with Chimpy.

Comment

Working...