• Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

White House, Congress reach deal on

repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell'

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Proposed agreement calls for repeal to be final only after completion of military review
    Review won't be finished until the end of this year
    Many Democrats hope defense secretary will explicitly support the compromise language
    Washington (CNN) -- Congressional Democrats reached an agreement Monday with the White House and possibly the Pentagon on a key legislative step toward repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that bars openly gay soldiers from the military.

In a letter to President Obama obtained by CNN, three congressional sponsors of legislation to repeal the policy outlined the proposed agreement that would set contingencies based on completion of a military review of the matter already under way and subsequent final approval from the president and military leaders.

Specifically, the proposed agreement calls for repeal to become final only after completion of the military review expected by the end of 2010, followed by a review certification from Obama, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen.

"We have developed a legislative proposal for consideration by the House and Senate that puts a process in place to repeal 'don't ask, don't tell' once the working group has completed its review and you, the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs certify that repeal can be achieved consistent with the military's standards of readiness, effectiveness, unit cohesion, and recruiting and retention," said the letter sent Monday night that was signed by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan; Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Connecticut; and Rep. Patrick Murphy, D-Pennsylvania.

The Obama administration endorsed the proposal in a letter sent to the congressmen Tuesday from Office of Management and Budget Director Peter Orszag, who wrote that the agreement "meets the concerns raised by the Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

Defense Secretary Robert Gates issued a lukewarm endorsement Tuesday of a Democratic plan to repeal the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

I don't ever post in the front line but this deserves some debate from I think. I won't debate it with you but I will have fon watching.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I doubt anyone here is too worried about this...

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The new law is going to be called 'Don't Fist, Don't Felch'

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
        I doubt anyone here is too worried about this...

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Dontcha mean "Who would Jesus Felch?"

Comment

Working...