• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

New York City approves plans for Mosque in the shadow of Ground Zero

NYC government approves Ground Zero mosque

NEW YORK (AFP) – A New York community board has resoundingly backed a controversial plan for an Islamic cultural center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero.

The non-binding vote by the Manhattan community board late Monday passed 29:1 with 10 abstentions in a strong endorsement of the planned project.

Supporters say the proposed Cordoba House will transform negative stereotypes about Islam prevalent in the city since the September 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center.

"We expected some opposition. I think we have reached a moment where certain things are starting to get flushed out. Certain emotions are coming to the surface. We have learned a lot from this," said Daisy Khan, who is part of the project.

"I'm actually glad this kind of debate is taking place," she said.

Opponents complain that a mosque so close to Ground Zero, where Islamist hijackers crashed two airliners into the Twin Towers, killing almost 3,000 people, is an insult to the memory of the dead.

But Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer said that "for anyone to imply that a mosque is not appropriate in New York..., that is just an un-American attitude."

"I'll do everything I can to make sure this mosque does get opened and people have the right to assemble there and practice their religion," he told the Daily News.

The proposed Islamic center is to be built on the site of a former clothing shop and is planned to contain sports facilities and a theater, as well as the mosque.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

OK....I know that we have freedom of religion in this country...and I respect that as one of the cornerstones that makes our country great.

And I know that not all Islamics are radical extremists hell-bent on killing us.

So to all the hardcore left-wingers who are poised to pounce, just relax.

But.....REALLY? A mosque two blocks from where Islamic extremists killed thousands of Americans in the blink of an eye?

It just doesn't sit very well....at least not at first blush.

What's next? Approving the construction of locker-room style group showers next to the Holocaust Museum?

Erecting Catholic churches next to abortion clinics?

If it's just me who thinks that this idea (while perfectly legal and sound) just isn't very "smart", then blast away.
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Catfish
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

I hope someone sends a fueled-up red-white-and-blue airplane into this fucking mosque!!!!

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Makes me wonder if that will be incorporated into tours of the proposed Mosque: "Down the street, you'll see the memorial for when several of our.....more...obnoxious members took matters into their own hands...oopsie. Straight ahead you'll find the restrooms and concession stand..."
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

[blast] Two blocks is quite far. How big is your Muslim exlusion zone going to be? Manhatten? [/blast]

Personally I think they should have built a runway...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
            Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
            NYC government approves Ground Zero mosque
            But Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer said that "for anyone to imply that a mosque is not appropriate in New York..., that is just an un-American attitude."
            I don't think that anyone is suggesting that a mosque is inappropriate anywhere in New York City, just in that particular location.

There are MANY mosques already in the various boros of NYC. A quick Yahoo search of "listing of New York City mosques" turned up this tons of listings.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              [blast] Two blocks is quite far. How big is your Muslim exlusion zone going to be? Manhatten? [/blast]
              Well...see my post that came in right under yours.

I see the point of "how far away is far enough?"

But there are already tons of mosques in NYC.

I'm not against mosques or the Islamic religion. I just think that this idea shows a bit of insensitivity and poor judgement, and I think the pendulum is swinging too far the other way to make us all "just get along" a la Rodney King.

Ultimately I think it may actually make relations worse instead of better. Inevitably, if it does get built, you'll have some bulletheads who go out and trash it and try to burn it down. People will get hurt and possibly even die, and who needs more of that?

Oh well...at least all of us level-headed folk here at the Army can debate it in a civilized forum. (tongue firmly in cheek...)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To be honest this thread confused me a bit as since you had your location down as 'The Original Capital' I always assumed you were from London...

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Muslim exclusion zone...are you MAD ???

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

This is about as dumb as building a vegetarian diner right next to a cow rendering factory, as it insults both interested parties.

"We expected some opposition. I think we have reached a moment where certain things are starting to get flushed out. Certain emotions are coming to the surface. We have learned a lot from this," said Daisy Khan, who is part of the project. "I'm actually glad this kind of debate is taking place," she said.
                    Uh-huh. You want "debate", sweetheart? Here's an idea: instead of building a house of worship dedicated to a religion who's members feel it just dandy to hijack planes and kill innocent people a few blocks away from where such a horrific event took place, why not first rent an auditorium somewhere and invite the families of those murdered to offer their opinion? I'm fairly certain that you'll get all the "debate" that you can handle.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Catfish
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

Would anyone ever build a Hooters in Muslim? Fuck no!

FUCK THIS!!!!

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
                        Would anyone ever build... in Muslim?

Where is this "Muslim" of which you speak, Brainiac?
                        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Catfish
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                          Where is this "Muslim" of which you speak, Brainiac?
                          At least your sense of humor is sharp!

You dumb fuck!

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
                            At least your sense of humor is sharp!

You dumb fuck!
                            Far sharper than your "wit" or knowledge of Geography... Asshat.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                              What's next? Approving the construction of locker-room style group showers next to the Holocaust Museum?

Erecting Catholic churches next to abortion clinics?
                              You mean a Church next to the holocaust museum and a condom factory next to the abortion clinic....
                              "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...