PDA

View Full Version : US FEST TONIGHT on vh1 classic

vh rides again
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
vh1 is running all 3 days in a row tonight starting at 10:30 pm central.

i dont know if vanhalen will be on it, but if they are it will be on day 3.

set those dvr's.

Little Texan
05-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Unchainme
05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbdMvOwf22M

this right here, is just not only the pinnacle of Classic Van Halen, but, of Rock N' Roll itself.

"Hey man, don't you go squirting water at me, Imma fuck your girlfriend pal!"

"You a rowdy buncha motherfuckers!"

please at least release this on DVD spED.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-28-2010, 07:18 AM
i dont know if vanhalen will be on it, but if they are it will be on day 3.

Why would it be on Day 3 ??

tojoro
05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Correct, VA...Heavy Metal Day was on Sunday, Day 2...

SunisinuS
05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I was at my friend's Matt's house (parents were rich) on the hills and so we got US from his backporch....granted not front row...but free as we hung out all weekend, the noise would wash....closest I ever got to the original lineup...sigh. Junior in HS and unaware that life would not be forever.

SunisinuS
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Fuck. I know of no one that could do this 30 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPUcVhwdCfs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-iSsCTF9d8&feature=related

SunisinuS
05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Lol one more for you bitches.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNWArv4J4J8&feature=related

SunisinuS
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQItLGGGZ-g&NR=1

Ok Im'r done....step-daughter gets married tommorrow....so I had the house to myself as the important people rehearsed. Peace.

ELVIS
05-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't see it on my dish network guide...

Nitro Express
05-28-2010, 05:47 PM
1983. After the last day of school we piled into my friends Porsche Targa and drove to the US Festival. I was there. I remember when Van Halen went on it was freezing cold.

Nitro Express
05-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Fuck. I know of no one that could do this 30 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPUcVhwdCfs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-iSsCTF9d8&feature=related

The US Festival was done right. Steve Wozniak did an excellent job putting it together and he was willing to spend the money to do it right. Plus, people were different then. Even if it was done right today, the audience still might riot. I didn't realize it would be considered one of the great festivals at the time. Dave was pretty fucked up that night too.

Nitro Express
05-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Correct, VA...Heavy Metal Day was on Sunday, Day 2...

Yup. It ran all Memorial Day weekend and we had tickets for Heavy Metal day. Lot's of good bands, sunburn, and freezing at night. With that many people you never have enough piss/shit closets either.

Hardrock69
05-28-2010, 11:54 PM
I just finished reading Woz's autobiography, iWoz. He lost $12,000,000 on the concert.

Here is what he had to say about VH on page 256:

You know, I was overpaying bands like crazy. I mean, with Van Halen, I paid a million and a half for it's one appearance. I later heard that was the single highest amount paid for a band. And David Lee Roth, though he was nice and cordial when I met him, was practically falling down onstage., He was so drunk, sluring and forgetting lyrics and everything.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 12:45 AM
I just finished reading Woz's autobiography, iWoz. He lost $12,000,000 on the concert.

Here is what he had to say about VH on page 256:

My brother went to Stanford and was in the Home Brew Computer Club there. Woz and Jobs were members and would drive down from Berkley. He told me the story of when Woz came in with this box made out of plywood crudely nailed together but when everyone saw it used a monitor and keyboard it floored the whole club. That was the begging of Apple. Woz is still a major stockholder in the company and if you've seen it's stock price lately, Woz could throw another US Fesival if he wanted to.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Van Halen was the band I wanted to see and they of course were the last to play. After being outside in the sun all day, getting too much sun and then having chills at night, it was a long day before VH took the stage. Also, being there was different than watching the video, so the sound was so, so. Roth was plowed. Completely fucked to the point where it did drag on the show. Al, Ed, and Mike carried the thing. Roth went off stage during one song and Al and Ed went into this huge jam session. That was the concert highlight.

Hardrock69
05-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, read about how Woz and Jobs got it together. Jobs was only 17 when Woz met him. Woz was doing computer design work as a teenager, on paper, because he did not have access to the funds and parts to actually build a computer. His Dad did top secret engineering work at Skunk Works when he was a kid. It is a pretty interesting read. I would much rather read an autobio than a bio written by someone else.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 01:55 AM
My brother passed away a few years ago but he worked as one of Gil Armelio's vice presidents at National Semiconductor. Mr. Armelio went over and ran Apple and got to know Woz. They are running some high tech start ups now. My brother hang around the same circles as Woz and knew him a little bit. He said he was just a down to earth nice person who was still the same guy who was at the computer club in the 70's.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Yup. It ran all Memorial Day weekend and we had tickets for Heavy Metal day. Lot's of good bands, sunburn, and freezing at night. With that many people you never have enough piss/shit closets either.

LOL, actually not a lot of people realize that there was a "Country Day" on Day 4.... Ugh....

Va Beach VH Fan
05-29-2010, 07:41 AM
The real shame is that there will NEVER be a festival of that caliber again.... I don't think it's unreasonable to state that day may be the biggest day in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal concert history.....

They tried with Woodstock in '99 but we know how that turned out, an arson-filled rape-fest, with price gauging to boot.... Seems as though kids today just can't drink a few beers and enjoy the music.....

Anonymous
05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
The real shame is that there will NEVER be a festival of that caliber again.... I don't think it's unreasonable to state that day may be the biggest day in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal concert history.....

They tried with Woodstock in '99 but we know how that turned out, an arson-filled rape-fest, with price gauging to boot.... Seems as though kids today just can't drink a few beers and enjoy the music.....

Sorry to contradict you there VA, but I'd say that THE FIRST Rock in Rio was pretty much at least as huge as the US Fest. In fact, if I was given the possibility to go back in time to choose between one or the other, I'd go for Rock in Rio without even pausing to blink.

Also, '99 was 11 years ago, so it's kids back then, as opposed as kids these days. Which is also true, but isn't the case. Ah, old age... when 11 years seems like yesterday... :)

Cheers! :bottle:

Hardrock69
05-29-2010, 12:48 PM
What is funny is that Woz was a fan of Country Music, and originally wanted it to be a Country Music Festival, but the people he sought out for advice on putting on a large-scale festival said if he did that he would lose his ass. As it was he lost money anyway.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 01:10 PM
What is funny is that Woz was a fan of Country Music, and originally wanted it to be a Country Music Festival, but the people he sought out for advice on putting on a large-scale festival said if he did that he would lose his ass. As it was he lost money anyway.

I think he knew he would lose money to begin with. Woz is not a money whore. He's more into doing something cool than maximizing his profits. What's interesting is the all time great festivals were bombs financially wise.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Altamont is labeled as the big disaster concert but Woodstock 99 looked like the fucking apocalypse. Kids today have a lot of pent up anger and no respect, when that goes off en mass things get crazy. Look at the riots that happen after sporting events. They tear the whole town apart. That just didn't happen in 83 and a school shooting was unthinkable. After the mid 80's society really started to go downhill and has continued. I blame the high divorce rate and both parents having to work. Kids grow up with a lot of pain from a broken home and nobody to properly raise them and teach them some manners. We don't have the parenting we used to have and the shcools are basically storage centers for people's kids.

Nitro Express
05-29-2010, 01:24 PM
LOL, actually not a lot of people realize that there was a "Country Day" on Day 4.... Ugh....

One day was enough for me. Too many people and sitting around too long. It's one of those things that in reality wasn't that great but you can brag that you were there.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry to contradict you there VA, but I'd say that THE FIRST Rock in Rio was pretty much at least as huge as the US Fest. In fact, if I was given the possibility to go back in time to choose between one or the other, I'd go for Rock in Rio without even pausing to blink.

Well, I had to refresh my memory on that 1st Rock in Rio, and it's certainly a valid argument:

AC/DC
Al Jarreau
The B-52's
Bon Jovi
George Benson
The Go-Go's
Iron Maiden
James Taylor
Nina Hagen
Ozzy Osbourne
Queen
Rod Stewart
Scorpions
Whitesnake
Yes

There are differences, however. That was a 10-day festival, and all international acts played TWICE (except for Iron Maiden). And of course, there are many non-rock acts on that bill.

I just think for a pure hard rock/metal day, you can't beat the US Festival '83....