Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

METALLICA's TRUJILLO Assists JACO PASTORIUS' Family In Recovering Infamous Bass

METALLICA's TRUJILLO Assists PASTORIUS Family In Recovering Infamous Bass Of Doom - May 28, 2010
    METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"Jaco Pastorius has long been regarded as one of, if not the, most influential bass guitarist of all time and as some of you may know, is Robert's [Trujillo, METALLICA bassist] personal hero. So upon overhearing a phone conversation that Jaco's legendary 'Bass of Doom' had resurfaced after being missing for over twenty years, but was tied up in an ugly legal battle, Robert instinctively offered to assist the Pastorius family in its recovery. The happy ending is that the bass is with Robert and the Pastorius family...a true piece of musical history.

"Like so many other musical greats, Jaco Pastorius died young, only 35, but his legacy has lasted the test of time. With his pioneering techniques, charismatic and outrageous stage performances and his unmistakable singular style, Jaco left behind a musical legacy that has continued to inspire and influence ongoing generations worldwide. Through his critically acclaimed self titled solo debut album, his work with break-through fusion/jazz group WEATHER REPORT, whose 'Heavy Weather' album is one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, and his collaborations with singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell, Jaco's reputation and influence grew to permeate many musical styles and genres.

"The legendary 'Bass of Doom,' nicknamed by Jaco himself, is a 1962 Fender jazz bass that Jaco removed the frets from and refinished the neck with boat epoxy. This customized bass was the only fretless instrument Jaco ever recorded with throughout his career right up until it was stolen from a Manhattan park bench in 1986. Despite repeated attempts from friends and family to locate it, the whereabouts of the famous bass remained unknown until it showed up in early 2006 in a small guitar shop on New York's West Side. Unfortunately the owner of the shop refused to return it to the Pastorius family resulting in protracted legal squabbles. Almost two years passed before Robert was able to jump in and help make it possible for the family to settle out the case and regain control of their father's prized bass.

"When asked about his getting involved, Robert commented, 'I felt a strong sense that it was the right thing to do for Jaco, and the family, whatever it took.'"

For more info about Jaco Pastorius and the "Bass of Doom," check Jaco's Official Site

Now, is that fuckin cool or what?!
    Rob Trujillo: The coolest dude in Metallica...
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Robert fucking RULES. Newsted was ok, but too bad the guys could not have gotten Robert in 1986.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Agreed 100%

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Ever met him? Super cool, laid back dude (which is probably a big reason he got the Metallica gig, no huge ego to conflict w/ Lars and James'). This was VERY cool of him.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I first became aware of him through his work with Mike Muir of Suicidal Tendencies when I bought the first Infectious Grooves album. Stephen Perkins was on drums for that record, and I was blown away by the rhythm section.

Metallica is MUCH better with him in the band.

I will always dig the moment in that film they did a few years back where they sat down to tell him he got the gig, and Hetfield says "Here is a check for a million dollars".

He is VERY MUCH worth that kind of bread.

Comment

• lesfunk
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

He still recorded over Bob Daisley's parts on Blizzard and Diary, and that I can't abide.
              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                He still recorded over Bob Daisley's parts on Blizzard and Diary, and that I can't abide.
                No shit ??

Due to the absolute disregard of the original recordings, I thought Sharon got in the cheapest
                studio players available at the time. Damn..... (If true)

Onto this report, great story and I love how he managed to return his hero's guitar back where
                it belongs...

Hey, on a tangent here, any of you bassists ever played fretless ? Im assuming you would have to have great monitors
                to hear that you are on key ?? Or is it like you just know the sweet spot, regardless of non frets ??
                Last edited by Panamark; 05-30-2010, 04:28 AM. Reason: Fucking typos
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

I thought Chris Wise rerecorded over the first two..

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                    That does suck, but we certainly don't know the specifics of that...it may have been a "do this or lose the gig" Sharon-ultimatum-scenario.
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                      That does suck, but we certainly don't know the specifics of that...it may have been a "do this or lose the gig" Sharon-ultimatum-scenario.
                      I agree with this scenario . After all, he was in fact on $haron's payroll at the time...

Comment

• lesfunk
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                        I thought Chris Wise rerecorded over the first two..
                        No dipshit, He makes Potato Chips.

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                          What's there to know? He did it period. Unforgivable. If Jimmy Page's wife said to you "You can keep your job as a touring sideman, All you need to do record over John Paul Jones' parts on Physical Graffitti. " What would you say? I know what I would.
                          Fuck that career advancing mercenary bullshit.

Comment

• lesfunk
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

As far as Roberts charitable nature, he's probably a real good guy, but let's not make it out to be more than it is. If I personally was a multi millionaire, I would certainly cuntsider buying that bass for a million or whatever it cost him and giving it back to Julius and Felix.
                            Any Jaco fan who is rich enough to wipe his ass with Ben Franklins might do the same.
                            Anyway, Nice gesture Rob. It doesn't get you off the Ozzy hook with me though.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Robert. Sounds like a true gent....
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...