• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dennis Hopper dead at 74

Dennis Hopper dead at 74

Dennis Hopper is seen in 2008, before he was diagnosed with cancer.

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper, best known for directing and starring in the 1969 cult classic "Easy Rider," died on Saturday at his home in Venice, California, from complications of prostate cancer, a friend told Reuters. Hopper was 74.

The hard-living screen icon died at 8:15 a.m. PT, surrounded by family and friends, said the friend, Alex Hitz.

The two-time Oscar nominee, who appeared in more than 100 films, last March got a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, saying he came to Hollywood from his native Kansas at 18, "so that was my college."

"Everything I’ve learned, I’ve learned from Hollywood," he said. "This has been my home and my schooling."

In a wildly varied career spanning more than 50 years, Hopper appeared alongside his mentor James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause" and "Giant" in the 1950s and played maniacs in such films as "Apocalypse Now," "Blue Velvet" and "Speed."

He received two Oscar nominations — for writing "EasyRider" (with co-star Peter Fonda and Terry Southern), and for a rare heartwarming turn as an alcoholic high-school basketball coach in the 1986 drama "Hoosiers."

"Easy Rider," regarded is one of the greatest films of American cinema, helped usher in a new era in which the old Hollywood guard was forced to cede power to young filmmakers such as Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese.

The low-budget blockbuster, originally conceived by Fonda, introduced mainstream moviegoers to pot-smoking, cocaine-dealing, long-haired bikers.

"We'd gone through the whole '60s and nobody had made a film about anybody smoking grass without going out and killing a bunch of nurses," Hopper told Entertainment Weekly in 2005. "I wanted 'Easy Rider' to be a time capsule for people about that period."

Hopper and Fonda were joined on screen by a then-unknown Jack Nicholson as an alcoholic lawyer, but it was not a harmonious set. Hopper clashed violently with everyone and Fonda later described him as a "little fascist freak." Their friendship was destroyed.

Hopper fell ill last September. He continued working almost to the very end, both on his cable TV series "Crash" and on a book showcasing his photography. But his final months were also consumed by a bitter divorce battle with his fifth wife, Victoria Duffy.

Indeed, his private life was never dull. His marriages included an eight-day union in 1970 with Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas, who later told Vanity Fair that she was subjected to "excruciating" treatment.

Hopper is survived by four children.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I guess 74 isn't too bad when you have taken enough drugs to sink a ship.

Not sure he was that nice a guy but he was really good in a few films. He made a lot of crap too though.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

R.i.p.
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

One of his best moments.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• Doctor Dude
          Groupie
          • Oct 2009

That motherfucking reaper has been busy this month. Fuck.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

and one of his weirdest.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Igosplut
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I guess 74 isn't too bad when you have taken enough drugs to sink a ship.

Not sure he was that nice a guy but he was really good in a few films. He made a lot of crap too though.
              HA! Some of the stuff that pops outta your head I swear...

Easyrider was more about hippies than bikers. The soundtrack is what made it...That, and Phil Specter wasn't into guns at that point so nobody was taken hostage. He DID play a good nutcase, guess it wasn't that far of a stretch.....
              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• WARF
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I was wondering how long it was gonna be til he died... this is sad loss... he should have won an oscar for true romance...

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Dammit. Too many great musicians and actors are leaving us this month. This is one of the worst months in my life.
                  R.I.P Frank Booth

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Dammit. Too many great musicians and actors are leaving us this month. This is one of the worst months in my life.
                    R.I.P Frank Booth

Comment

• jero
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Egg Plant! Classic

Comment

• Golden AWe
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I really enjoyed his "mad ape" character in "Apocalypse Now"...

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

R.I.P.
                        Originally posted by Cato
                        Golden, why are you FAT?
                        Originally posted by lesfunk
                        Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                        http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

I liked the Nike commercials he did back in 80's.

"This is Bruce Smiths shoe man....you know what Bruce Smith does in these shoes man?

Bad things man, bad things."
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                            I was wondering how long it was gonna be til he died... this is sad loss... he should have won an oscar for true romance...
                            That was a great movie and I loved the scene with Christopher Walken. "so, you see, way back then..."

RIP Dennis.
                            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by WARF
                              It was quite a small part but I think it was worth a nomination for best supporting that year.

Don't understand why TLJ won it...

WINNER
                              The Fugitive: Tommy Lee Jones
                              NOMINEES
                              In the Line of Fire: John Malkovich
                              In the Name of the Father: Pete Postlethwaite
                              Schindler's List: Ralph Fiennes
                              What's Eating Gilbert Grape: Leonardo DiCaprio

I had forgotten about Hoosiers, try and catch it if you can, it's so much better than your run of the mill sports movie.

Comment

Working...