PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Hopper dead at 74

FORD
05-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Dennis Hopper dead at 74

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100529-hopper-vsml-10a.grid-4x2.jpg
Dennis Hopper is seen in 2008, before he was diagnosed with cancer.

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper, best known for directing and starring in the 1969 cult classic "Easy Rider," died on Saturday at his home in Venice, California, from complications of prostate cancer, a friend told Reuters. Hopper was 74.

The hard-living screen icon died at 8:15 a.m. PT, surrounded by family and friends, said the friend, Alex Hitz.

The two-time Oscar nominee, who appeared in more than 100 films, last March got a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, saying he came to Hollywood from his native Kansas at 18, "so that was my college."

"Everything I’ve learned, I’ve learned from Hollywood," he said. "This has been my home and my schooling."

In a wildly varied career spanning more than 50 years, Hopper appeared alongside his mentor James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause" and "Giant" in the 1950s and played maniacs in such films as "Apocalypse Now," "Blue Velvet" and "Speed."

He received two Oscar nominations — for writing "EasyRider" (with co-star Peter Fonda and Terry Southern), and for a rare heartwarming turn as an alcoholic high-school basketball coach in the 1986 drama "Hoosiers."

"Easy Rider," regarded is one of the greatest films of American cinema, helped usher in a new era in which the old Hollywood guard was forced to cede power to young filmmakers such as Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese.

The low-budget blockbuster, originally conceived by Fonda, introduced mainstream moviegoers to pot-smoking, cocaine-dealing, long-haired bikers.

"We'd gone through the whole '60s and nobody had made a film about anybody smoking grass without going out and killing a bunch of nurses," Hopper told Entertainment Weekly in 2005. "I wanted 'Easy Rider' to be a time capsule for people about that period."

Hopper and Fonda were joined on screen by a then-unknown Jack Nicholson as an alcoholic lawyer, but it was not a harmonious set. Hopper clashed violently with everyone and Fonda later described him as a "little fascist freak." Their friendship was destroyed.

Hopper fell ill last September. He continued working almost to the very end, both on his cable TV series "Crash" and on a book showcasing his photography. But his final months were also consumed by a bitter divorce battle with his fifth wife, Victoria Duffy.

Indeed, his private life was never dull. His marriages included an eight-day union in 1970 with Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and Papas, who later told Vanity Fair that she was subjected to "excruciating" treatment.

Hopper is survived by four children.

Seshmeister
05-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I guess 74 isn't too bad when you have taken enough drugs to sink a ship.

Not sure he was that nice a guy but he was really good in a few films. He made a lot of crap too though.

Diamondjimi
05-29-2010, 02:22 PM
R.i.p.

Seshmeister
05-29-2010, 02:24 PM
One of his best moments.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqccyUpnZwA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Doctor Dude
05-29-2010, 02:39 PM
That motherfucking reaper has been busy this month. Fuck.

FORD
05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
and one of his weirdest.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5sQyHnbY4

Igosplut
05-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I guess 74 isn't too bad when you have taken enough drugs to sink a ship.

Not sure he was that nice a guy but he was really good in a few films. He made a lot of crap too though.

HA! Some of the stuff that pops outta your head I swear...

Easyrider was more about hippies than bikers. The soundtrack is what made it...That, and Phil Specter wasn't into guns at that point so nobody was taken hostage. He DID play a good nutcase, guess it wasn't that far of a stretch.....

WARF
05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I was wondering how long it was gonna be til he died... this is sad loss... he should have won an oscar for true romance...

Hardrock69
05-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Dammit. Too many great musicians and actors are leaving us this month. This is one of the worst months in my life. :(
R.I.P Frank Booth

Hardrock69
05-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Dammit. Too many great musicians and actors are leaving us this month. This is one of the worst months in my life. :(
R.I.P Frank Booth

jero
05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Egg Plant! Classic

Golden AWe
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I really enjoyed his "mad ape" character in "Apocalypse Now"...

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

R.I.P.

sadaist
05-29-2010, 06:12 PM
I liked the Nike commercials he did back in 80's.

"This is Bruce Smiths shoe man....you know what Bruce Smith does in these shoes man?

Bad things man, bad things."

diamondsgirl
05-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I was wondering how long it was gonna be til he died... this is sad loss... he should have won an oscar for true romance...

That was a great movie and I loved the scene with Christopher Walken. "so, you see, way back then..."

RIP Dennis.

Seshmeister
05-29-2010, 08:17 PM

It was quite a small part but I think it was worth a nomination for best supporting that year.

Don't understand why TLJ won it...

WINNER
The Fugitive: Tommy Lee Jones
NOMINEES
In the Line of Fire: John Malkovich
In the Name of the Father: Pete Postlethwaite
Schindler's List: Ralph Fiennes
What's Eating Gilbert Grape: Leonardo DiCaprio

I had forgotten about Hoosiers, try and catch it if you can, it's so much better than your run of the mill sports movie.

Coyote
05-29-2010, 08:35 PM
There goes another legend...

Halen High
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Very sad to hear the news this morning. Dennis was a true artist and a brilliant and diverse actor. A lot of people forget that long before Easy Rider, a young Hopper appeared in Rebel Without a Cause and Giant with James Dean. I read his forward in the book 'James Dean - portrait of cool' and it's clear the death of his friend Dean had a lasting and devastating impact on his life.

I also remember his roles in River's Edge and Red Rock West.

One of the coolest actors ever.

R.I.P.

lesfunk
05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Sad. I enjoyed his performances. Cancer is a motherfucker

Golden AWe
05-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Cancer is a motherfucker

In this case, a ballfucker...

lesfunk
05-29-2010, 11:21 PM
In this case, a ballfucker...

Oh, you nasty little tin dribbling bunker tourista you

VanHalener
05-30-2010, 12:18 AM
~What a drag~

Rest in peace Holmes

GAR
05-30-2010, 04:34 AM
I was hoping it was gonna read "Sammy Hagar dead at 64" if I clicked on the thread.

Halen High
05-30-2010, 06:22 AM
And of course...Blue Velvet.

I loved how Dennis Hopper would just play any role - no matter how off the wall - with no regard for protecting his public persona. He took a lot of risks during his career.

Hardrock69
05-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Ever see "Paris Trout"? He played one of the biggest assholes in film I have ever seen. Kinda like Frank Booth's older Southern brother.

lesfunk
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Here he is meeting Satan

Matt White
05-30-2010, 04:13 PM
A true ICON....

PEACE OUT DENNIS

GAR
05-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Die, hippy - DIE~!!

I could only be happier should Jack Nicholson die.. they BOTH sucked!

hambon4lif
05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Die, hippy - DIE~!!

I could only be happier should Jack Nicholson die.. they BOTH sucked!Yeah....I'm sure they're saying the same thing about you.....
"I wish that coward Clay Aiken look-alike Roth Army troll would just fall over and die".....

FUCK OFF, BITCH!

Hardrock69
05-31-2010, 01:40 AM
What Gar thinks is irrelevant to everything anyway.

GAR
05-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah....I'm sure they're saying the same thing about you.....
"I wish that coward Clay Aiken look-alike Roth Army troll would just fall over and die".....

FUCK OFF, BITCH!

I want that Miss Chrissi motel pic, hotshot!