PDA

View Full Version : Al & Tipper Gore split after 40 years of marriage

fryingdutchman
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
By ERIK SCHELZIG
Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Former Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, are separating after 40 years of marriage that included a White House run when their sunny relationship offered a counterpoint to President Bill Clinton's philandering.

According to an e-mail circulated among the couple's associates on Tuesday, the Gores said it was "a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration."

Gore spokeswoman Kalee Kreider confirmed the statement came from the Gores, but declined to comment further.

The Gores were telling friends they "grew apart" after 40 years of marriage and there was no affair involved, according to two longtime close associates and family friends, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because it was a personal matter.

The associates said the Gores, over time, had carved out separate lives, with the former vice president on the road frequently. One of the associates said: "Their lives had gotten more and more separated."

Al Gore lost the 2000 presidential election to Republican George W. Bush. He has since campaigned worldwide to draw attention to climate change, which in 2007 led to a Nobel Peace Prize and an Oscar for the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth."

The Gores, who were married on May 19, 1970, at the National Cathedral in Washington, crafted an image as a happily married couple during his eight-year stint as vice president in the 1990s and a presidential candidate in 2000. The couple famously exchanged a long kiss during the 2000 Democratic presidential convention.

The image of their warm relationship stood in sharp contrast to the Clinton marriage rocked by Bill Clinton's affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky, a scandal that hung over Gore's own presidential campaign.

Al Gore at the time said his wife was "someone I've loved with my whole heart since the night of my high school senior prom."

In a speech to the 2004 Democratic convention, Gore said he wanted to thank "with all my heart my children and grandchildren, and especially my beloved partner in life, Tipper."

Tipper said in a 2000 campaign interview with The Associated Press that Al once gave her a Weedeater for her birthday but had learned to be more sensitive over the years and cared about what she wanted.

"He's very much a gentleman you know, with me around the house," Tipper said. "I know he's dog tired and he could be sitting down and doing something and I need something across the room, he'll get up and get it."

On Halloween, Al and Tipper Gore would dress up in costume and greet trick-or-treaters who made their way to the vice president's mansion. One year, she was dressed as a puppy and he was dressed as Underdog.

Tipper Gore was a co-founder in 1985 of the Parents Music Resource Center, which pushed for parental warning labels on music with violent or sexually explicit lyrics. The group drew the ire of musicians ranging from Dee Snider of Twisted Sister to Frank Zappa, who said warning labels were unnecessary and a danger to freedom.

Tipper Gore later became friends with the late Zappa's wife, Gail, and played drums and sang backup on daughter Diva Zappa's album in 1999.

The Gores have four adult children, Karenna, Kristin, Sarah and Albert III.

In a letter written to then-girlfriend Tipper as a 17-year-old college freshman, Al Gore wrote: "Mother's having a fit about me riding the motorcycle back to Harvard. Dad's mad at my long hair."

Gore later held his father's former seats in the U.S. House and Senate for 16 years. He first ran for president in 1988 at age 39, but drew little support outside the South.

A subsequent bid in 1992 was derailed after the Gores' 6-year-old son almost died after being hit by a car in 1989.

"It was a very spiritual time for both of us," Tipper Gore later wrote. "In Al's case, he decided to write a book and not to run for president in 1992."

The book was "Earth in the Balance," and Al Gore ended up in the thick of the 1992 campaign anyway - as Bill Clinton's running mate.

Tipper Gore, who has acknowledged treatment for depression after Albert III's accident, is a vocal advocate on mental health issues.

fryingdutchman
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
My only question is "what THE FUCK took him so long?"

sadaist
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
First time I find myself applauding something Al is doing.

Unchainme
06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v261/76/94/15980682337/n15980682337_682089_814.jpg

not to go OT, but anyone know what jello has been up to? god that guy kicks ass.

diamondsgirl
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Tipper said in a 2000 campaign interview with The Associated Press that Al once gave her a Weedeater for her birthday.

LMAO. Maybe he was giving her a subtle hint. He should have just given her some bikini wax.

Starwood
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Bill n Hillary out-distance the Gores...whodathunkit?

Diamondjimi
06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
They can both eat shit, for all I care...

Igosplut
06-02-2010, 06:17 AM
So does that mean that their carbon footprint is going to double??

How irresponsible and ungreen of them...

Hardrock69
06-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Gotta admit...40 years is a good long haul. Kudos to them for lasting so long in today's disposable society.

fryingdutchman
06-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Well...obviously I don't know Tipper Gore in any way, shape, or form....and it's horrible of me to judge her from a position of complete ignorance.

BUT....

I gotta say...

SAYONARA you fucking censorship-happy SHREW!!

ELVIS
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
They can both eat shit, for all I care...

:winner:

Warham
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I still laugh when I see that video of Al sucking her face at the convention. Talk about hamming it up.

Nitro Express
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Who's Al Gore?

lesfunk
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Fuck 'em both.

fryingdutchman
06-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Who's Al Gore?

The inventor of the internet.

Just ask him....he'll tell you all about it.

fryingdutchman
06-03-2010, 05:10 AM
I still laugh when I see that video of Al sucking her face at the convention. Talk about hamming it up.

That makes you laugh?

It makes me throw up a little in my mouth...

Warham
06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
That makes you laugh?

It makes me throw up a little in my mouth...

Yeah, there's comedy there.

I have a strong stomach too. Helps in those situations.

chefcraig
06-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Who's Al Gore?

He's the guy that came up with the Ponzi scheme known as global warming. His wife formed a cabal of Washington wives that illegally influenced their husbands to form legislation against the music industry. It's hard to imagine such a like-minded couple would ever lack things to talk about enough to end up calling it quits.

Nickdfresh
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Um, I really don't feel like defending the Gores today, but:

Global Warming isn't a "ponzi scheme." And Al Gore, though wrong on some things, is pretty solidly backed up by actual scientists.

We'd be much better off today if he'd been elected in 2000 over that flaming bag of douche who lost the popular vote.

And Gore never said anything like he "invented the internez". He did sponsor legislation which has won him esteem and awards, and maybe some scorn. But a lie told often enough...

Yes, Tipper was pretty douchy with her censorship crusade. But I think she moderated her views and came to respect people like Frank Zappa. And with the proliferation of "gangsta' rap," it's hard to totally dismiss her points, although she showed shitty leadership and totally went about the issue the wrong way in seeking legislation...

chefcraig
06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Um, Global Warming isn't a "ponzi scheme."

And Gore never said anything like he "invented the internez". He did sponsor legislation which has won him esteem and awards, and maybe some scorn. But a lie told often enough...

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. How's this: "He's the guy that discovered a way to profit (via an advanced Ponzi scheme) from the threat of global warming."

As for the "I invented the internet" line, the man did in fact say it, but of course it was taken entirely out of context for political and comedic gain by detractors, which is why I did not mention it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpxtKcLSFWw

Nickdfresh
06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Perhaps I phrased that poorly. How's this: "He's the guy that discovered a way to profit (via an advanced Ponzi scheme) from the threat of global warming."

I don't know how much Al Gore actually makes off his Global Warming ventures, if he really makes much at all. But is he the only one, or even by a narrow margin, the worst one profiting off global warming? I mean, the right wing (pseudo) libertarian think tanks that remind us how much Gore is making by using the largely ad hominem, discredited "hypocrite" argument are making a fuckload more than he ever will by taking corporate donations from the like of---TA DAH!!!!--BP-Amoco/Castrol...

chefcraig
06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't know how much Al Gore actually makes off his Global Warming ventures, if he really makes much at all. But is he the only one, or even by a narrow margin, the worst one profiting off global warming? I mean, the right wing (pseudo) libertarian think tanks that remind us how much Gore is making by using the largely ad hominem, discredited "hypocrite" argument are making a fuckload more than he ever will by taking corporate donations from the like of---TA DAH!!!!--BP-Amoco/Castrol...

Look, I hear you. By no means is Gore alone in this peculiar field on endeavor, but you have to admit his face is on the front page of the "Go Green" campaign, from "An Inconvenient Truth" to showing up at award programs with Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm certain he isn't even in the top ten of profiteers plying their trade right now, much like the carpetbaggers after the Civil War. Yet rightly or wrongly, the man has allowed himself to become the poster boy of the movement.

ELVIS
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
How Gore buys his "carbon offsets," as revealed by The Tennessean raises serious questions. According to the newspaper's report, Gore buys his carbon offsets through Generation Investment Management (http://newsbusters.org/node/11149):

Gore helped found Generation Investment Management, through which he and others pay for offsets. The firm invests the money in solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe...

Gore is chairman of the firm and, presumably, draws an income or will make money as its investments prosper. In other words, he "buys" his "carbon offsets" from himself, through a transaction designed to boost his own investments and return a profit to himself. To be blunt, Gore doesn't buy "carbon offsets" through Generation Investment Management - he buys stocks.

Fascinating. So, as Dr. Global Warming travels the world in his private jet while spending 20 times the average American on energy for his home, all the time telling us its okay because he’s buying carbon offsets, he’s actually purchasing these investments from himself.

Furthermore, and maybe more important, Gore stands to benefit financially in a potentially huge way if more and more people buy into this junk science.

Isn’t that special?

Yet, it is not clear that Gore’s money is going to purchase carbon offsets at all. Riehl reported:

Here's a list indicating what it takes to make money along with Al. Funds associated with these companies have placed millions of dollars under Al Gore's control. And, as you'll see below, Gore's selection for the US President of GIM might raise a few eyebrows as well.

AFLAC INC - AQUANTIVE INC - AUTODESK INC - BECTON DICKINSON & CO BLACKBAUD INC - GENERAL ELECTRIC CO - GREENHILL & CO INC - JOHNSON CTLS INC - LABORATORY CORP AMER HLDGS - METABOLIX INC - NORTHERN TR CORP - NUVEEN INVTS INC -STAPLES INC - SYSCO CORP - TECHNE CORP - UBS AG - VCA ANTECH INC - WATERS CORP - WHOLE FOODS MKT INC

According to their own documents, GIM intends to invest in, or buy companies poised to cash in on Global Warming concerns.

Putting this in perspective, for years the left and their media minions have posited that George W. Bush started war with Iraq to benefit the company Vice President Dick Cheney used to run, Halliburton, as well as Bush’s oil tycoon friends. In fact, there have been times when you couldn’t swing a dead cat in any pressroom in this nation without hitting a reporter working on such a story.

Yet, as the former Vice President continues to plug global warming as a coming crisis in need of immediate attention, the same media completely ignore his obvious financial conflicts of interest.

No liberal media bias there.

However, as Riehl pointed out, this story is even juicier:

To add insult to injury, Gore chose Peter S. Knight, an old friend and colleague some are sure to recall, as the US President of GIM.

Peter S. Knight, formerly Managing Director Met West Financial, lawyer, Chief of Staff for Senator Al Gore (D-TN) from 1977-1989, and Campaign Manager for President Clinton's successful re-election in 1996, is President of Generation U.S.

This would be him: Reno Rejects Inquiry Into a Clinton Aide

Atty Gen Janet Reno decides against any further investigation of Peter Knight, Pres Clinton's 1996 campaign manager in connection with office building development in nation's capital; such an investigation could have led to naming independent counsel to look further into activities of Knight, who is also former top assistant to Vice Pres Al Gore.

Yes, thanks to Janet Reno, no one ever found out how $20,000 in stock turned up in an account for Knight's then 13 year old child.

Dispute over Democratic Party campaign-financing shifts to Zachary Knight, 13-year-old son of Peter S Knight, Clinton-Gore campaign chairman in 1996, who was given $20,000 in stock by William Haney 3d, chairman of Molten Metal Technology Inc; Republicans believe gift, which came after father was named chairman of campaign, was really payment to Knight, who had worked as $7,000-per-month lobbyist for company; Knight denies involvement in any impropriety; photo

Riehl accurately asked:

If Gore's motivation in pushing Global Warming is so altruistic, was it really necessarily for the already wealthy Gore to establish a multi-million dollar corporation in England to cash in? And given the history of Gore and Knight, are these people we should trust to drive a re-vamping of the world economy at the same time they're lining their pockets because of our much smaller carbon footprints?

Riehl marvelously concluded:

If Al Gore is successful with this latest scheme, Gore and his cronies are going to be much more $green$ than most of the earth. And the only green in this for you and me is the kind that accompanies envy as Gore trucks around on private jets putting dollars to offset his extravagance into a cash machine generating profits on the backs of the middle class with misrepresented science that doesn't deserve to be called science at all.

Meanwhile, a complacent media, rather than hounding Gore over his financial conflicts of interest, continue to shill for this conman’s junk science.

When you add it all up, this is a flimflam of epic proportions:

First, Gore sets up a company that will invest in other companies that will benefit from global warming alarmism
Second, Gore gets some Hollywood types to fund and produce a movie designed to scare the c-c-carbon out of the population
Third, Gore travels the world promoting this movie, while pushing the view that a cataclysm is imminent if the world doesn't immediately act
Fourth, an adoring media falls for the con hook, line, and sinker. Rather than debunking the flaws in the theories, the media promote every word of it while advancing the concept that Gore's views represent those of an overwhelming majority of scientists
Fifth, scared governments and citizens across the globe invest in alternative energy programs driving up the shares of companies Gore's group has already invested in
Sixth, Gore and his cronies make billions as they laugh all the way to the bank at the stupidity of their fellow citizens
America -- what a country!

:elvis:

fryingdutchman
06-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Well, my comment was made mostly tongue in cheek anyway. I don't have anything against Al Gore in particular. It's more his wife that I couldn't stomach.

I actually admired the way that he poked fun at himself in the years following the 2000 debacle.

And props to chefcraig for finding the vid of Gore saying he invented the internet...

fryingdutchman
06-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Looks like there's an error in the previous video.

Let's try this one...roll it to 0:50 for the internet comment.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnFJ8cHAlco&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BnFJ8cHAlco&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Igosplut
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Novel way of thinking of it. So I fix cars therefore making less pollution so that entitles me to "Carbon Offsets". Meaning now I can have a fleet of one ton 4WD trucks (even if I don't need them) and SUVs, and spend/do nothing to improve the efficiency of my shop/house, and lets just say buy a couple other vacation homes (like THAT'S gonna happen) and leave 'em heated year round???? Because I made things better on one end, now I can justify making them worse on another?

Another good comparison is serial rapists often justify harming their victims believing they "Deserve it".........

Igosplut
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Novel way of thinking of it. So I fix cars therefore making less pollution so that entitles me to "Carbon Offsets". Meaning now I can have a fleet of one ton 4WD trucks (even if I don't need them) and SUVs, and spend/do nothing to improve the efficiency of my shop/house, and lets just say buy a couple other vacation homes (like THAT'S gonna happen) and leave 'em heated year round???? Because I made things better on one end, now I can justify making them worse on another?

Another good comparison is serial rapists often justify harming their victims believing they "Deserve it".........

chefcraig
06-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Looks like there's an error in the previous video.

Let's try this one...roll it to 0:50 for the internet comment.

Thanks for finding that one, friend. Having a limited attention span (along with the fact that I'm late for work) lead me to posting the shortest version I could find. :biggrin:

Baby's On Fire
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
LMAO. Maybe he was giving her a subtle hint. He should have just given her some bikini wax.

Brilliant. :biggrin:

And probably correct.