PDA

View Full Version : Univibe vs. Dejavibe

indeedido
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm ready to expand my horizons and start playing around with a univibe. Trower/Gilmore/Hendrix liquid heartbeat vibe. There are a lot of clones out there and I've narrowed them down to the Dunlop Univibe and the Fulltone Dejavibe. Anyone have experience with either one of these pedals? I've currently borrowed a Dejavibe from a friend and I'm curious if it is worth that much more dough than the Dunlop Univibe. Haven't gotten the opportunity to play the Dunlop. Thoughts?

ELVIS
06-05-2010, 12:26 AM
The Univibe is more old school and it works nicely and it's analog...

GAR
06-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Answering this in a few days. The original Univibe is the king of all phasers.

jhale667
06-05-2010, 03:17 AM
It was designed to emulate a Leslie rotating speaker effect. Different animal as say an MXR Phase 90, nor even really marketed as a "Phase Shifter".
IIRC, ('cause I don't own but have tried both, no if you count an original Univibe - once in a used deal a decade ago, all three...lol) even the reissue Univibes are still analog, and yes more old-school sounding...Dejavibe is more "boutique" sounding neither better nor worse, just different. Depends on what you're looking for: Vintage vibe, or something possibly more unique sounding, but cant necessarily cop the vintage vibe either. Even then depending on YOUR rig, you might like one better than the other..go check both out and let us know what you think! :cool:

Edit: er, check the "other" one out...

Diamondjimi
06-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I've been using a Univibe for about 10 yrs . I like the capability of switching between the phase & tremolo at the click of a button and the control of the cycle/rotation speed with the pedal...

indeedido
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The Fulltone Dejavibe sounds ok, but I've read the Dunlop Univibe has a little more depth to its sound. More demensional. One thing I've noticed with the Dejavibe is that it clips/distorts with humbuckers. I read a review about someone who had this problem too and contacted customer support. Their solution was to turn the volume down on the guitar. That's not a solution. I'll be using a strat with it mostly, but certainly want to use my Les Paul too. I've read good things about the Univibe but every product on the net has good and bad reviews both.

The Dejavibe is true bypass while the Dunlop isn't, but I don't know anymore that I buy into that hype. Sure some non bypass suck tone (my bad horsie sure as hell did) but in a long signal chain a buffer can be good. The original Univibe wasn't true bypass and it was good enough for Jimi.

Lee Jackson said in the 50's 60's 70's electronics and especially solid state electronics, was a new frontier and A LOT of the companies had no idea what they were doing, and really didn't care as long as it was selling. So yes...A Lot of those earlier effects suck all the life out of your instrument if you leave it in line. We are now in the 2000's and designers now know how to design circuits that do not suck tone and actually enhance it.

Both units use photocells inside like the original and 18volt power supply.

I may just order the Univibe from Musician's Friend and if I don't like it compared to the Fulltone just send it back. The Fulltone gets a pretty good Trower but it just isn't getting quite to Machine Gun. I'll keep tweaking placement and knobs over the weekend. It is more phaser sounding in the loop and more vintage vibe up front.

indeedido
06-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I've been using a Univibe for about 10 yrs . I like the capability of switching between the phase & tremolo at the click of a button and the control of the cycle/rotation speed with the pedal...

Glad to hear you like yours and haven't had any issues. Where do you place yours in the chain? In front of the amp or in the loop?

Matt White
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Hmmmm...

I've been thinking aboot the ROTOVIBE for some time now

GAR
06-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I have one of the first rotovibes, dont like it much

Hardrock69
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Liar. At most you likely have a crude sketch on a napkin you drew with a crayon and labelled "ruttovyyb".

Diamondjimi
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Glad to hear you like yours and haven't had any issues. Where do you place yours in the chain? In front of the amp or in the loop?

I run it first, immediately after my volume pedal. No loopage...
The sound is cuntlpetely transparent when the unit is switched off, plus the switching is silent. The dry/wet dial on the side is a great perk also...

Diamondjimi
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Hmmmm...

I've been thinking aboot the ROTOVIBE for some time now

Worth the money... ;)

I have one of the first rotovibes, dont like it much

No you don't....

NEXT!

indeedido
06-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I can now report back that I've A/B'd the Dunlop Univibe and Fulltone Dejavibe side by side. JSX head with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab loaded with V30s on the clean channel with a Hardwire OD and also with the amber channel of the head. I used both my Les Paul on the neck position with a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickup and also with my '60s reverse headstock Fender Strat. I can say that the description of "boutique" vs "old school sounding" is right on. Both are great pedals and do the effect nicely. The Dejavibe side by side sounded more digital and very clear. Also produces more highs on the signal. The Univibe sounded VERY 3D and lush and didn't give me any extra high end on the signal and actually had a nice warm tone. The Univibe also had more depth to it. You can't lose with either one, but after playing them side by side the Univibe is definatly the one for me tone wise. The price being close to $100 cheaper was just a bonus. The Dejavibe is true bypass while the Univibe isn't, but I didn't notice any degradation in tone. Sounded the same with and without it in the chain. Good buffers I suppose. Maybe part of why it is so much warmer than the Dejavibe. Very watery sounding too and lush. Does Trower/Hendrix/Gilmore perfectly. Anywho, just wanted to put that out there for anyone interested.

ELVIS
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Awesome!

Thanx!

:elvis:

Hardrock69
06-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Right on. So I am assuming you bought the Univibe? If so, congrats on the new toy.

indeedido
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I did buy the Univibe. I got it from Musician's Friend. Gave me a good way to A/B it with the Dejavibe and if I liked the Dejavibe better I could have just swapped them out. Love the 45 day no questions asked return policy w/ free shipping and no tax! It is exactly what I was looking for.

indeedido
06-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Plus there's nothing like trying things out with your own gear!

jhale667
06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Plus there's nothing like trying things out with your own gear!

That's REALLY the only way to tell if it's something you're truly going to like, no matter what your impressions are in the store. Glad you're happy w/it! :baaa:

Diamondjimi
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
That's REALLY the only way to tell if it's something you're truly going to like, no matter what your impressions are in the store. Glad you're happy w/it! :baaa:

My sentiments exactly. Good choice! :baaa:

Nitro Express
06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Univibe vs. Dejavibe

This sounds like a comparison of two sex toys. They sound more like vibrating units you stick in various orfices.

Nitro Express
06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I use my EVH MXR flanger to get that rotating speaker thing happening. Use is with a Fuzzface in front and you can get the whole Hendrix vibe happening quite nicely.

indeedido
06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I did that for a while with my EVH Phase 90. It does get the general vibe, but it does not get all the way there. Same for the EVH Flanger. It just can't get that "heartbeat" throb of the Univibe/Dejavibe. (again with the sex toy talk) I was curious to see if I should have just kept on with my MXR but after playing these I found out the answer was no.

Nitro Express
06-15-2010, 02:51 AM
The Phase 90 has too much precision. The Univibe uses a light source and a photo resistor to get the phase changes. It's more of a mechanical device at least the original ones were; thus, tolerances are all over the place and you have something that sound more alive. In many cases we want a device that fucks up but in a good way.

GAR
06-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Plus the organic hiss of the photocells is like magic.. there's phasers that do similar sweeps, but absolutely none have that hiss of the Univibe.

I don't think theres a guitar player alive who after hearing Star Spangled Banner wouldn't at least like to borrow one for awhile..