X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

The American Flag

With all the recent immigration rallies & protests where the Mexican flag has been flown, flown higher than the American Flag, and the American Flag was swatted to the ground, I thought I'd put this in this thread.

Feel free to move somewhere else if not Front Line material.

Anyways, my Grandpa passed back in 2003. I received a lot of his things that other family members had no interest in. (basically stuff that isn't valuable dollar wise). Going through some stuff the last few days and re-discovered this gem. This flag flew over our nations capitol on his 44th birthday. How fucking cool is that? I didn't remove the flag from the box, but I scanned the letter and also the small pamphlet that is inside along with it.

Thinking of getting a nice mount so I can start displaying this on national holidays. Anywho...check out the pics. Sorry if the scans came out large. Wanted to make sure the text was readable.

Special thanks to all who have defended this flag. A simple colored piece of cloth, yet more important than I can express here.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • GO-SPURS-GO
    Sniper
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
    Special thanks to all who have defended this flag. A simple colored piece of cloth, yet more important than I can express here.
    Amen!!
    https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

What does the flag mean to the average American? It seems to be a much more emotive symbol than the British Flag is to the average UK citizen, so I'm curious.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Thanks, cool stuff.
          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Catfish
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

Awesome!!!!

USA USA USA!!!

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Probably get $20 for it on eBay...

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by binnie
                What does the flag mean to the average American? It seems to be a much more emotive symbol than the British Flag is to the average UK citizen, so I'm curious.
                It's a symbol of our freedom. Makes us proud.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Right on man. How cool is that?

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

The flag means different things to different people. To some, it's a symbol of every sort of idealism Americans have about their lives. But, to others, it's a cloth, not much different than any others. I think most people in America hold a degree of respect for it, though, regardless of whether they fly it on their front porch proudly or don't even really think about it on a day to day basis.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They shoot without shame
                      In the name of a piece of dirt
                      For a change of accent
                      Or the color of your shirt
                      Better the pride that resides
                      In a citizen of the world
                      Than the pride that divides
                      When a colorful rag is unfurled

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        They shoot without shame
                        In the name of a piece of dirt
                        For a change of accent
                        Or the color of your shirt
                        Better the pride that resides
                        In a citizen of the world
                        Than the pride that divides
                        When a colorful rag is unfurled

I respectfully disagree.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• knuckleboner
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

dude, you should take it out and fly it at least a few times (his birthday, flag day, july 4th, memorial day, veterans day, etc.) those flags are fairly sturdy, and if you fly them just on a couple days, and not in high winds / rain, they'll last. after a couple flies, you can frame it if you want to preserve it. but if it were me, i'd want to know that that flag was displayed somewhere.

(as an aside, at one point, i was a capitol intern, one of whose many jobs was to take the brand new flags to the architect of the capitol, so they could be flown. simple manual labor for me, but it felt very cool. though, i'm fairly certain i never brought down your grandfather's flag...)

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                            dude, you should take it out and fly it at least a few times (his birthday, flag day, july 4th, memorial day, veterans day, etc.) those flags are fairly sturdy, and if you fly them just on a couple days, and not in high winds / rain, they'll last. after a couple flies, you can frame it if you want to preserve it. but if it were me, i'd want to know that that flag was displayed somewhere.

(as an aside, at one point, i was a capitol intern, one of whose many jobs was to take the brand new flags to the architect of the capitol, so they could be flown. simple manual labor for me, but it felt very cool. though, i'm fairly certain i never brought down your grandfather's flag...)

Yeah. I really want to fly it before I would frame it up. At least 1 year making the holiday rounds. I read up a bit and went to my local congressman's website. Anyone can order these now and pick the date and who they want it flown for. Not very expensive either. For a 5x8 cloth flag, flown over Capitol, and shipping to you with certificate is only around $35 ( a bit less for a nylon flag). Would make a great present for someone to surprise them that it was flown for them on a special day. I think I might start doing this. Just have to give them 4-6 weeks notice of the date you want it flown.

That's awesome you got to do that. I was kinda wondering if maybe they just "say" it was flown over the capitol & it was BS. Great to know it's legit.

Now the hard part. Deciding what person & what day to have a new one done. Probably my brother. Something he can pass down to my nephew. Make a new chain and another family heirloom type thing.

Comment

• jacksmar
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

On April 25, 1976 at Dodger Stadium, Rick Monday of the Chicago Cubs, grabbed and secured the American flag from two individuals as they were attempting to b...

A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

Working...