• Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

"Touchdown Jesus" Statue Struck By Lightning, Burns To The Ground

6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning

MONROE, Ohio –
    A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The "King of Kings" statue, one of southwest Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock Church along Interstate 75 in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11:15 p.m., Monroe police dispatchers said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signaling a touchdown. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheater but was confined to the attic area, and no one was injured, police Chief Mark Neu said. The fire department would release a monetary damage estimate Tuesday, he said.

Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it. So many people stopped at the church campus that church officials had to build a walkway to accommodate them.

The 4,000-member, nondenominational church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation and they spent about $250,000 to finance it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a jealous god...

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Guess God thinks the Jesus story is a load of rubbish, lol!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

“You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.” This command is against making an idol, a visible representation of God. There is no image we can create that can accurately portray God. To make an idol to represent God is to worship a false god.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

God doesn't approve of excessive end-zone celebrations...

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The turn the other cheek move is deadly!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

LMFAO!! I can't get the special attacks to work, but Jesus is almost as fierce as Chuck Norris!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It tells you how to do them at the start of each bout.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.” This command is against making an idol, a visible representation of God. There is no image we can create that can accurately portray God. To make an idol to represent God is to worship a false god.

So we can see by the preponderance of evidence that it is beyond a
                    shadow of a doubt that the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster created
                    everything in the world and has influenced Evolution throughout all of
                    history. It has been shown that His Noodly Appendage has touched
                    every continent and every civilization around the globe. This evidence
                    has been carefully cataloged by the scribes assigned to the great Pirate
                    sailing vessels as they journey around the world gathering archaeological
                    evidence of the Great One. The only continent they avoid is Antarctica,
                    and that is because they know not to go there; Shackleton brought
                    back records of what the ungrateful penguins tried to do to him and
                    his crew when they were stranded there. This evidence spans the globe,
                    made manifest in the chow mein noodles of China, the aspen noodles
                    of Nebraska, the flying kangaroos of Australia, and the great megaghetti
                    boats of the ancient Phoenicians. This should settle all debates
                    over the influence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Gospel of the FSM p.175

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm going to get that on a t-shirt.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

That would be a funny shirt...

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

America needs more symbols like it.
                            more tacky pieces of shit clogging up the scenery?
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I guess Zeus was pissed! Because he got tired of the christian hypocrisy when it came to sports. Weren't they the same religion that banned the ancient olympics and gladiator matches? And then 1 and 1/2 millenium later, they started to accept sports.

Comment

Working...