PDA

View Full Version : Scientists to map Ozzy Osbourne's genetic code

Jagermeister
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Scientists to map Ozzy Osbourne's genetic code to find out how he survived so much substance abuse

You can't kill rock and roll, but it's not usually this hard to kill a rocker.

Ozzy Osbourne has lived a life in a haze of drugs and booze and now scientists are trying to find out just how he's done it.

Researchers are mapping Ozzy's genetic code to try to figure out how the "Prince of Darkness" is alive after almost 40 years of substance abuse, Sky News reports.

Knome, an American genomics company, will use a blood sample from the 61-year-old ex-Black Sabbath frontman to map out his entire genome.

Researchers hope that Ozzy's genome will help reveal why some people's bodies can tolerate excessive substance abuse more than others.

"Sequencing and analyzing individuals with extreme medical histories provides the greatest potential scientific value," director of research Nathan Pearson told the British news site.

Osbourne has had various drug and alcohol-related issues throughout his career -- at one point, he admitted that he drank four bottles of cognac per day, which often led to his "blacking out, coming to again and carrying on."

BY Nick Klopsis
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Jagermeister
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
A) File this under WTF?

B) I wonder how muc Sharon is profiting from this?

Seshmeister
06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Osbourne has had various drug and alcohol-related issues throughout his career -- at one point, he admitted that he drank four bottles of cognac per day, which often led to his "blacking out, coming to again and carrying on."

Who hasn't?

ThrillsNSpills
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
what, no link from the Onion?

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
It's amazing how Sharon continues to pump out the Ozzy news...

jhale667
06-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Uh, if this is even legit...the dude's DNA they should be mapping is KEITH RICHARDS'. That guy makes Ozzy look like a wanna-be in the drug-abuse department...PLEASE, he did more heroin in 1970 alone than Ozzy's done in his entire life. :umm:

Jagermeister
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Uh, if this is even legit...the dude's DNA they should be mapping is KEITH RICHARDS'. That guy makes Ozzy look like a wanna-be in the drug-abuse department...PLEASE, he did more heroin in 1970 alone than Ozzy's done in his entire life. :umm:

That's true.

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Although I doubt they're in competition...

Hardrock69
06-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Ozzy could stay fucked up for the rest of his daze, and Keef could go completely straight, and Ozzy still would not come close to rivalling Keef's adventures in Drugland. :biggrin:

Anonymous
06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Ozzy could stay fucked up for the rest of his daze, and Keef could go completely straight, and Ozzy still would not come close to rivalling Keef's adventures in Drugland. :biggrin:

Ain't it the truth.

Keef is one step above everyone else in the evolutionary ladder.

He's immortal.

The Earth took too long to decide to get rid of us - even if it does it RITE NOW, Keef will survive.

Cheers! :bottle:

jhale667
06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Still haven't heard about Ozzy getting the complete blood transfusion/detox like Keef does/did from time to time...

Which reminds me of a funny Lemmy urban legend/story: Hearing of the technique Richards was employing, Lemmy apparently contacted the same doctor. The doctor tells him, "Well, we do this for Keith because he's a long-time heroin addict. But what's your story?".

"I've been on speed since the 60s" was Lemmy's alleged response - to which the doctor replied "Speed, for 40 YEARS?? Sorry but whole blood would kill you." :lmao:

ELVIS
06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
No he won't...

Ozzy will out last Keith...

lesfunk
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I think it just goes to show that drugs and booze aren't really that bad for you.

Jagermeister
06-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I think it just goes to show that drugs and booze aren't really that bad for you.

LMAO!

I guess that's one way to look at it. I think that's my new cig right there.

binnie
06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I think it shows that Ozzy has been lucky - lucky to have people around him at the low times, lucky enough to have enough people around him when he was too drunk to function. If a guy who had to get to work 9-5 had consumed that level of drink/drugs he'd have been fired, and probably continued on a downward spiral if he couldn't kick them.

I doubt it has much to do with genetics - just fortune.

Jagermeister
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
What if they map it and find some weird anomaly?

Like I don't know. Maybe he has some super human power..

Catfish
06-15-2010, 07:04 PM

I love it! :rockit:

Steve Savicki
06-15-2010, 10:56 PM
It's amazing how Sharon continues to pump out the Ozzy news...
About as much news as... Van Halen.

Hardrock69
06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
This story actually sounds like a load of shit to me......

binnie
06-16-2010, 02:48 AM
It has a lot in common with Ozzy's new album then....

Jagermeister
11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
By: Russell Mills
Last July, scientists began mapping the genome of a legendary rock singer whose predilection for drugs and alcohol has led many -- including himself -- to wonder how he could have survived as long as he has.

Part of the answer of Ozzy Osbourne's stubborn survival may lie within his genetic makeup, which includes traces of Neanderthal ancestry.

NeanderTal or NeanderTHal? Either, really... click here for more info

Yes, that sentence included the words "Neanderthal ancestry," and it's no joke. Scientific American published an article in May of this year which states unequivocally that Neanderthals and early humans bred, and that large segments of the population in Europe and Asia still bear traces of Neanderthal DNA to this day.

Ozzy apparently balked at the idea of having his genome mapped initially, but later changed his mind.

"I was curious," he wrote in his column published in the Sunday Times of London. "Given the swimming pools of booze I've guzzled over the years—not to mention all of the cocaine, morphine, sleeping pills, cough syrup, LSD, Rohypnol…you name it—there's really no plausible medical reason why I should still be alive. Maybe my DNA could say why."

The Godfather of Heavy Metal has ancestral ties with some famous figures of history, including the outlaw Jesse James, the Russian Tsar Nicholas II, and King George I of England. He also shares DNA with some of the Romans killed in Pompeii when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 CE.

'That means I'm also probably related to some of the survivors, which makes a lot of sense," Osbourne joked when learning of his ties to the Roman volcano victims. "If any of the Roman Osbournes drank nearly as much as I used to, they wouldn't have even felt the lava. They could have just walked it off.'

GAR
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
HAHAAHA great find!

chefcraig
11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
The Godfather of Heavy Metal has ancestral ties with some famous figures of history, including the outlaw Jesse James, the Russian Tsar Nicholas II, and King George I of England. He also shares DNA with some of the Romans killed in Pompeii when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 CE.

How come it is that people who have searched their ancestry or claim to have lived past lives never seem to have been related to or been anyone that wasn't famous? Just once I'd like to hear one of these numbnuts say "Yup, before I was reincarnated in this current life, in my former lives I was a basket weaver, sweat shop worker, then a plumber and sold hot dogs at Yankee Stadium".

ashstralia
11-05-2010, 09:56 PM
How come it is that people who have searched their ancestry or claim to have lived past lives never seem to have been related to or been anyone that wasn't famous? Just once I'd like to hear one of these numbnuts say "Yup, before I was reincarnated in this current life, in my former lives I was a basket weaver, sweat shop worker, then a plumber and sold hot dogs at Yankee Stadium".

it's like when people die... everyone says 'he was a great bloke' never ' he was a complete arsehat, and i'm glad he's gone'

btw, i posted this weeks ago :)

SunisinuS
11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRa3yiklKk

GAR
11-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Mitochondrial DNA never degrades or changes as it's passed thru the female lineage, that's why they can line your shit up with some famous and some royal people who've already done the mDNA thing.. and there's many different markers they can look for depending on how deep you want em to look and how deep your pockets are.

Reincarnation is something totally different, there is no DNA and as you say people find it more interesting to "make contact" with the spirit world only to become "informed" they were a somebody in a past-life regression.. in the gypsy trade it's called all kinds of things. In the civilized world, that's called a "con."

ELVIS
11-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Neandergar says what ??

SunisinuS
11-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Which came first: The Elvis or the Neandegar?

FORD
11-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Case in point........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6plco2lPJ4

Ozzy wasn't that incoherent until at least the 1990's :biggrin: