X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

The concert business is facing what could be its worst summer

NASHVILLE (Billboard) - The concert business is facing what could be its worst summer since the mid-1990s as a slew of A-list acts ranging from the Jonas Brothers to Kings Of Leon battle slumping ticket sales.

Artists such as Christina Aguilera, the Eagles, U2 (due to Bono's back surgery), Rihanna, John Mayer, Limp Bizkit, and the Go-Go's have canceled either shows or entire tours. The female-skewing Lilith Fair has also suffered soft sales.

Rumblings of a tough year for touring began a couple of months ago, with predictions ranging from "mediocre" to "bloodbath." Two main culprits may be at fault: ticket prices and traffic. At the center of the storm is Live Nation, which controls the majority of summer touring, particularly at the amphitheater level.

Live Nation's detractors say the company pays artists unreasonably high guarantees in order to gain market share and keep its amphitheaters programed and tap into ancillary revenues like concessions, sponsorships and parking. The cost is passed on to the consumer.

Since an estimated 70% of touring traffic occurs during the warm months, it becomes tougher for acts to get the kind of promotional attention necessary, whether from the promoter's own efforts or from media coverage.

Also coming into play is the fact that many if not most Live Nation amphitheater tours are negotiated and booked out of the company's West Coast offices, without a lot of local input. An act that's worth $250,000 in Boston may be worth only $50,000 in Cleveland, which should be reflected in local ticket prices.

Another factor cited by insiders is ill-advised touring by artists who either don't have a new album or single out, or have made the rounds too many years in a row. Without a compelling reason to go see an act, whether it's absence from the marketplace or a hot album or single, fans may be deciding to sit this one out.

Finally, there seems to be a level of skepticism from consumers toward the concert industry, much of it relating to numerous ticket add-on fees or high ticket and concession prices in general.

There are live music successes. The Coachella, Stagecoach, Jazzfest and Bonnaroo festivals all did quite well. Tours by acts like Lady GaGa, James Taylor/Carole King, and Roger Waters are performing solidly under Live Nation, as is its entire country roster of tours. Rival promoter AEG's Justin Bieber, Black Eyed Peas, Taylor Swift and Bon Jovi, are also doing sellout business
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Finally, there seems to be a level of skepticism from consumers toward the concert industry, much of it relating to numerous ticket add-on fees or high ticket and concession prices in general.
    That's no shit.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Anything that keeps Limp Bisquick from "performing", be it a recession, small demand or act of nature has to be seen as a progressive and positive cultural force in the long run.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Anything that keeps Limp Bisquick from "performing", be it a recession, small demand or act of nature has to be seen as a progressive and positive cultural force in the long run.
        I think that was canceled due to lack of interest.

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
          I think that was canceled due to lack of interest.
          The current Rolling Stone has a good piece on this story (naturally, since revamping it's website the story is not available online), which points out how the mistakes made by promoters last season (initially overpricing, then being forced to drop service fees as well as overall price days before an event) were not learned and then repeated this season. It also shows how artists like Dave Mathews have thrived in this environment by keeping ticket prices low. The column even includes a remark made by Fred Durst that is (as usual) self-serving, but uncharacteristically insightful: Just because Live Nation owns all of these amphitheaters does not mean that bands are suitable to fill them, nor should they be required to play in them.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

The current Rolling Stone has a good piece on this story (naturally, since revamping it's website the story is not available online), which points out how the mistakes made by promoters last season (initially overpricing, then being forced to drop service fees as well as overall price days before an event) were not learned and then repeated this season. It also shows how artists like Dave Mathews have thrived in this environment by keeping ticket prices low. The column even includes a remark made by Fred Durst that is (as usual) self-serving, but uncharacteristically insightful: Just because Live Nation owns all of these amphitheaters does not mean that bands are suitable to fill them, nor should they be required to play in them.

I skimmed it. I'm not real happy with this months issue.

I'm sure you know why.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Yeah, you really have to ask yourself just what market they are trying to reach these days with the cover story. Then again with last month's cover featuring Lady Gaga, it's abundantly clear that they are throwing all sorts of shit at the wall in hopes that something might stick.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Yeah, you really have to ask yourself just what market they are trying to reach these days with the cover story. Then again with last month's cover featuring Lady Gaga, it's abundantly clear that they are throwing all sorts of shit at the wall in hopes that something might stick.

I either missed it or they have not yet done a review on RATT's new record. But they sure as fuck had that BINGO! in there. I like the rag it's like you said though.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  I either missed it or they have not yet done a review on RATT's new record. But they sure as fuck had that BINGO! in there. I like the rag it's like you said though.
                  Absolutely, yet if some "new" book comes out once again rehashing the story of the Velvet Underground or the Grateful Dead, it gets an automatic 4 star review and recommendation. And I won't even get into how lame the political desk has become since P.J. O'Rourke stopped contributing to it and Hunter Thompson took himself out.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

I think if Maiden would have a longer US tour, you'd have to throw it in with the other "successes".... Still contemplating whether to go up to northern VA on July 20th, not crazy about the setlist....

Other than that, I agree, pretty shitty concert lineup this year....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      I think if Maiden would have a longer US tour, you'd have to throw it in with the other "successes".... Still contemplating whether to go up to northern VA on July 20th, not crazy about the setlist....

Other than that, I agree, pretty shitty concert lineup this year....
                      They don't really detail the outdoor shows but yeah. I have a killer one in July then I think I'm done for awhile. I might try to catch Rush I am undecided on that one.

Comment

• Catfish
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

No complaints on LiveNation from me. Saturday's Iron Maiden show will cost me $26, without extra fees.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Catfish
                          No complaints on LiveNation from me. Saturday's Iron Maiden show will cost me $26, without extra fees.

No Way!

Comment

• Catfish
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Well, it's on the lawn...

Comment

• Jagermeister
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Catfish
                              Well, it's on the lawn...