PDA

View Full Version : Manute Bol dies

POJO_Risin
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
7'6" Manute Bol died today...at 47. He was likely known more for his work after basketball for his country of Sudan, donating and raising millions of dollars to help reconciliate the country.

I remember this picture and another in SI...when he and Spud Webb played for the Rhode Island Gulls...

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kus3sbt8Pw1qzveiso1_400.jpg

Va Beach VH Fan
06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I remember I went to the old Cap Centre and stood next to him as he sat for an interview... Then he stood up, it was incredible how tall he was....

Hardrock69
06-20-2010, 10:32 AM
That fucking sucks. Only 47.

He was obviously a man with a heart of gold.

I only met one other guy who was 7' 6". Was a cab driver for a moment back in the 80s. Harlem Globetrotters came to the town where I was. Dispatcher sent me to a hotel on the east side. Door opens and guy ducks to go through the door. Turned out to be Twiggy Sanders of the Globetrotters. I had to get out of my car and stand up next to him for a moment. He was a cool guy.

WARF
06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone remember when he tried a hockey career... it was fucking REDIC!!!

POJO_Risin
06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Anyone remember when he tried a hockey career... it was fucking REDIC!!!

He was trying to raise money for his hospitals in the Sudan...and I'm pretty sure it was just a gimic...one game...

lesfunk
06-20-2010, 12:56 PM
My Friend and Drummer for the Savage Bros Michael Savage, told me a story last night about the time he played pool with Bol in a Middletown CT Bar once.

Nickdfresh
06-20-2010, 05:29 PM
This death bummed me out and I had to do a check when to see this guy was in the NBA as I thought it was far more recently...

In any case, note to self: don't fucking take medications prescribed while in Africa! :019:

Sad...

VanHalener
06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
VanHalenette read this news to me in bed last night. She often reads to me before we go to sleep, but she doesn't read from enough popup books even though I bring them home from the library and set them on her pillow so she.... Sorry...... Anyway, this is sad news about a good man. Going out early in life is bad enough, but to have to endure pain and suffering on the way out really phucking sucks.

~Rest in Peace~
:cato2::daisy::cato2:

POJO_Risin
06-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Blocks-2,086
Points-1,599

14th all-time with regards to blocked shots, and in under 19 minutes per game. Every player above him were above 20 minutes a game, and the only player even close to his minutes per was Tree Rollins at just over 20 minutes a game. Every other player was close to 30 minutes or over...

pretty impressive when you think about it.

Starwood
06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Starwood always thought he could have been a great Raider.