X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Obama to Decide Future of US Commander in Afghanistan

The ever astute staff at Rolling Stone online finally decided to make this story available this afternoon. You can read what all the hubbub is at this link: The Runaway General

Obama to Decide Future of US Commander in Afghanistan

President Barack Obama is deciding whether to fire his commander in Afghanistan after the officer, U.S. Army General Stanley McChrystal, and some members of his staff made derogatory statements about the president and other senior administration officials. The comments were made to a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine.

President Obama took the unusual step of ordering General McChrystal home for an Oval Office meeting on Wednesday, after he read the article that White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said made the president "angry."

"The magnitude and graveness of the mistake here are profound," he said.

Gibbs said the mistake was to say things and to allow his staff to say things that have distracted the president's national security team from its top priority -- defeating the Taliban and related groups in Afghanistan, so U.S. troops can begin to come home a year from now.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs briefs reporters at the White House, 22 Jun 2010
    AP
    White House press secretary Robert Gibbs briefs reporters at the White House, 22 Jun 2010

Gibbs said "all options are on the table" regarding General McChrystal's future.

In the Rolling Stone article, McChrystal is quoted as belittling the importance of a meeting with President Obama, making fun of Vice President Joe Biden and accusing the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, Karl Eikenberry, of betraying him in a policy dispute. According to the article, McChrystal stood by as members of his staff ridiculed the vice president, the president's national security adviser, retired Marine Corps General James Jones, and the special U.S. envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Ambassador Richard Holbrooke.

On Tuesday, McChrystal apologized for the article, calling it "a mistake reflecting poor judgment." He said he has "enormous respect" for the president and his national security team. He telephoned several of them on Tuesday.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates recommended McChrystal for the Afghanistan command a year ago, and fired his predecessor to make room for him. At the time and repeatedly since then, Gates has called McChrystal the right man for the job and said he has a unique understanding of the complex counterinsurgency approach that Afghanistan requires.

Gates praised McChrystal again last week at a Senate hearing.

"We think we have the right assets, we have the right strategy, we have the right leadership. And most of our allies and partners share our view that things are heading in the right direction," said Gates.

On Tuesday, Gates issued a statement saying that McChrystal had made a "significant mistake and exercised poor judgment," and lamenting the "distraction" from what he said should be the "singular focus" on the war effort.

At the same hearing, the top U.S. military officer, Navy Admiral Michael Mullen, also offered an endorsement of McChrystal and his team.

"We've got [a] tremendous leadership team we've put the resources in, and it's a very, very difficult counterinsurgency," said Mullen.

On Tuesday, a spokesman said Mullen expressed "deep disappointment" in a telephone call with McChrystal.

General McChrystal also got in trouble last year, during the White House Afghan policy review, when he said the effort in Afghanistan could fail if the president refused to send more troops.

The Rolling Stone article has resulted in much speculation about whether McChrystal should be fired. But the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, John Kerry, offered some of the few words of support for the general heard around Washington on Tuesday.

"I have enormous respect for General McChrystal. I think he's a terrific soldier," he said. "And this is a critical moment in Afghanistan. As far as I am concerned, personally, the top priority is our mission in Afghanistan and our ability to proceed forward competently," said Kerry.

The question is whether McChrystal's ability to lead that mission has been compromised beyond repair in terms of his ability to command respect at the Pentagon, at the White House and in the field.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who McChrystal has worked hard to build a good relationship with, expressed support for the general on Tuesday. But at the White House, spokesman Robert Gibbs indicated no one, not even as important a commander as General McChrystal, is indispensable.

"I think our efforts in Afghanistan are bigger than one person," said Gibbs.

Gibbs said President Obama's decision will be announced on Wednesday, after a private White House meeting with McChrystal and a previously-scheduled meeting of his national security team to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.

SOURCE LINK

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I heard this on the radio this morning. lol Sone dude quit because of this.

Comment

• Jagermeister
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I think the guy has balls the size of Venus for speaking his mind. LMAO!

Comment

• Guitar Shark
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
        I think the guy has balls the size of Venus for speaking his mind. LMAO!
        Hm. What happened to those balls after he was called on it? I haven't seen this much apologizing in a long time.
        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Unless this is interfering with the job he was sent out there to do, I don't see the point in any of this.

This "sending people to the principals office" for saying what they feel is getting a bit ridiculous.

He's a United States General, and they're taking him away from his job (which is defending America) to sit in the fucking "time-out" chair.

The fact that he's apologizing so profusely is more disturbing than anything else.......

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
            Unless this is interfering with the job he was sent out there to do, I don't see the point in any of this.

This "sending people to the principals office" for saying what they feel is getting a bit ridiculous.

He's a United States General, and they're taking him away from his job (which is defending America) to sit in the fucking "time-out" chair.

The fact that he's apologizing so profusely is more disturbing than anything else.......
            Like it or not, Obama is his boss.

Imagine if you talked shit about your boss to a local reporter and your local newspaper picked up the story. Are you telling me your boss wouldn't "call you into the principal's office?"

Frankly, most people would be fired for doing that. So spare us the "he's just doing his job" crap. Talking shit about the boss isn't part of his job description. He knows it, which is why he's apologizing like the pussy he is.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

NEW YORK – Even Rolling Stone's editor agreed with Gen. Stanley McChrystal that the Afghan war's U.S. commander showed poor judgment in airing complaints about the Obama administration in the magazine.
              But Eric Bates said it was in keeping with McChrystal's character that he didn't try to waffle about what was said in the article, which exploded into a political controversy that threatened the general's job. Bates said the piece accurately reflected what McChrystal and his team feel about the job they've been given in Afghanistan.

he's wafflin' his butt off now.
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                Talking shit about the boss isn't part of his job description. He knows it, which is why he's apologizing like the pussy he is.
                "Pussy." You crack me up Mr. Never-served-a-day. I guess this is the folow-up to the General Betray-Us comment a few years back, right? And he apologized once, not "I haven't seen this much apologizing in a long time."

General McChrystal new exactly what he was doing: telling Obama and Biden and their armchair General team of civilians in the White House they have no clue what they are doing. He wants out.

Obama's lack of leadership skills and knowledge of the real world becomes more apparent every day.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                  General McChrystal new exactly what he was doing: telling Obama and Biden and their armchair General team of civilians in the White House they have no clue what they are doing. He wants out.
                  LOL. Yes, I suppose this is why every word out of his mouth today is deferential, apologetic, and remorseful. Get a clue man.
                  ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• hambon4lif
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                    Even Rolling Stone's editor agreed with Gen. Stanley McChrystal that the Afghan war's U.S. commander showed poor judgment in airing complaints about the Obama administration in the magazine.
                    Yeah....he can agree all he wants to, but I'm willing to wager a bet that this will do nothing to halt the presses.

If anything, it's a grand opportunity to sell more copies of that rag....it's just the way they are.

If McChrystal should apologize for anything, it's for talking to Rolling fuckin' Stone!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                      LOL. Yes, I suppose this is why every word out of his mouth today is deferential, apologetic, and remorseful. Get a clue man.
                      You're too stupid to realize he's been in the air most of the past day and the Obama-dick-sucking /State-Run Media is recycling old quotes.

Go back to sometjing you know Mr. Ambulance-Chaser: waiting around Emergency Rooms for the next victim...err, client.
                      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Good to see you are on top of your game as usual.
                        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Rolling Stone? Really? How the fuck did they get the exclusive access? I can see Time, Newsweek, USA Today, etc.... but RS? I mean, unless they wanted to know his favorite top 50 songs of all time, they got no business with this man.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            Rolling Stone? Really? How the fuck did they get the exclusive access? I can see Time, Newsweek, USA Today, etc.... but RS? I mean, unless they wanted to know his favorite top 50 songs of all time, they got no business with this man.
                            The answer is...a volcano. Seriously.

How Did Rolling Stone Get the McChrystal Story?

By JEREMY W. PETERS

Of all the questions surrounding the Rolling Stone article that detailed Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal’s surprisingly blunt criticisms of the Obama administration’s handling of the war in Afghanistan, few are as puzzling as this: Why would a top military commander allow a journalist so much unfettered access to his inner circle?

The explanation, it seems, is a volcano.

Michael Hastings, the freelance journalist who wrote the provocative piece about General McChrystal’s displeasure with the war effort, met the general and his staff in Paris right as the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted in Iceland, forcing the closure of the airspace over most of Europe.

As a result, Mr. Hastings waited in Paris with the general and his staff as they attempted to get to Berlin by bus. And Mr. Hastings then stayed in Berlin–whiling away days at the Ritz-Carlton hotel with General McChrystal for nearly a week while they waited for the ash cloud to clear so they could fly to Afghanistan.

Initially, Mr. Hastings was not scheduled to travel with the general and his staff to Afghanistan. Only after he arrived in Europe did Mr. Hastings learn that the general’s staff would be willing to take him with them.

“We assigned this story before we knew we had any access,” said Eric Bates, Rolling Stone’s executive editor. “We just wanted to profile McChrystal as the commander of the war in Afghanistan.”

Mr. Hastings ended up spending about a month on and off with the general and his staff while they were in Afghanistan — the vast majority of it in settings and interviews that the general allowed to be on the record. Very little of Mr. Hastings interactions with the general were off the record, Mr. Bates said.

Mr. Bates declined to speculate about why General McChrystal was so blunt in his assessment of the war. At one point in the story, the general is quoted as being dismissive of Vice President Joseph Biden, quipping, “Who’s that?” In another exchange, the general sarcastically complains about receiving an e-mail message from Richard C. Holbrooke, a special envoy to Afghanistan, groaning, “Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke.”

Mr. Bates said that whether General McChrystal intended to be so direct or not is not the point. The general, Mr. Bates said, was clearly frustrated with the Obama administration’s prosecution of the war, and he let that slip out.

“I think there’s an enormous frustration there where they feel like people don’t get it,” Mr. Bates said. “And that seeps through into a lot of those quotes. They feel that the people who are supposed to be working with them aren’t working with them or don’t understand what the strategy is.”

Asked whether he felt General McChrystal let his guard down because it was Rolling Stone, a publication devoted primarily to pop culture and the music business, Mr. Bates said it would not be the first time a political figure opened up to the magazine.

“In their mind, I think people sometimes forget how much reporting is in the DNA of Rolling Stone,” he said. “And there’s some glamour attached to the name. I don’t know at all if that was the case here. But in general, I’d say that sometimes people are excited to be in the magazine.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/how-did-rolling-stone-get-the-mcchrystal-story-a-volcano-helped/

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The Runaway General (McChrystal goes MacArthur)

Stanley McChrystal, Obama's top commander in Afghanistan, has seized control of the war by never taking his eye off the real enemy: The wimps in the White House

By Michael Hastings
                              Jun 22, 2010 10:00 AM EDT

This article appears in RS 1108/1109 from July 8-22, 2010, on newsstands Friday, June 25.

'How'd I get screwed into going to this dinner?" demands Gen. Stanley McChrystal. It's a Thursday night in mid-April, and the commander of all U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan is sitting in a four-star suite at the Hôtel Westminster in Paris. He's in France to sell his new war strategy to our NATO allies – to keep up the fiction, in essence, that we actually have allies. Since McChrystal took over a year ago, the Afghan war has become the exclusive property of the United States. Opposition to the war has already toppled the Dutch government, forced the resignation of Germany's president and sparked both Canada and the Netherlands to announce the withdrawal of their 4,500 troops. McChrystal is in Paris to keep the French, who have lost more than 40 soldiers in Afghanistan, from going all wobbly on him.

"The dinner comes with the position, sir," says his chief of staff, Col. Charlie Flynn.

McChrystal turns sharply in his chair.

"Hey, Charlie," he asks, "does this come with the position?"

McChrystal gives him the middle finger.

On the ground with the Runaway General: Photos of Stanley McChrystal at work.

The general stands and looks around the suite that his traveling staff of 10 has converted into a full-scale operations center. The tables are crowded with silver Panasonic Toughbooks, and blue cables crisscross the hotel's thick carpet, hooked up to satellite dishes to provide encrypted phone and e-mail communications. Dressed in off-the-rack civilian casual – blue tie, button-down shirt, dress slacks – McChrystal is way out of his comfort zone. Paris, as one of his advisers says, is the "most anti-McChrystal city you can imagine." The general hates fancy restaurants, rejecting any place with candles on the tables as too "Gucci." He prefers Bud Light Lime (his favorite beer) to Bordeaux,
                              Talladega Nights

(his favorite movie) to Jean-Luc Godard. Besides, the public eye has never been a place where McChrystal felt comfortable: Before President Obama put him in charge of the war in Afghanistan, he spent five years running the Pentagon's most secretive black ops.

The Spill, The Scandal and the President: How Obama let BP get away with murder.

"What's the update on the Kandahar bombing?" McChrystal asks Flynn. The city has been rocked by two massive car bombs in the past day alone, calling into question the general's assurances that he can wrest it from the Taliban.

"We have two KIAs, but that hasn't been confirmed," Flynn says.

McChrystal takes a final look around the suite. At 55, he is gaunt and lean, not unlike an older version of Christian Bale in Rescue Dawn. His slate-blue eyes have the unsettling ability to drill down when they lock on you. If you've fucked up or disappointed him, they can destroy your soul without the need for him to raise his voice.

Looting Main Street: Matt Taibbi on how the nation's biggest banks are ripping off American cities.

"I'd rather have my ass kicked by a roomful of people than go out to this dinner," McChrystal says.

He pauses a beat.

"Unfortunately," he adds, "no one in this room could do it."

With that, he's out the door.

"Who's he going to dinner with?" I ask one of his aides.

"Some French minister," the aide tells me. "It's fucking gay."

Get more Rolling Stone political coverage.

The next morning, McChrystal and his team gather to prepare for a speech he is giving at the École Militaire, a French military academy. The general prides himself on being sharper and ballsier than anyone else, but his brashness comes with a price: Although McChrystal has been in charge of the war for only a year, in that short time he has managed to piss off almost everyone with a stake in the conflict. Last fall, during the question-and-answer session following a speech he gave in London, McChrystal dismissed the counterterrorism strategy being advocated by Vice President Joe Biden as "shortsighted," saying it would lead to a state of "Chaos-istan." The remarks earned him a smackdown from the president himself, who summoned the general to a terse private meeting aboard Air Force One. The message to McChrystal seemed clear: Shut the fuck up, and keep a lower profile

Now, flipping through printout cards of his speech in Paris, McChrystal wonders aloud what Biden question he might get today, and how he should respond. "I never know what's going to pop out until I'm up there, that's the problem," he says. Then, unable to help themselves, he and his staff imagine the general dismissing the vice president with a good one-liner.

"Are you asking about Vice President Biden?" McChrystal says with a laugh. "Who's that?"

"Biden?" suggests a top adviser. "Did you say: Bite Me?"

When Barack Obama entered the Oval Office, he immediately set out to deliver on his most important campaign promise on foreign policy: to refocus the war in Afghanistan on what led us to invade in the first place. "I want the American people to understand," he announced in March 2009. "We have a clear and focused goal: to disrupt, dismantle and defeat Al Qaeda in Pakistan and Afghanistan." He ordered another 21,000 troops to Kabul, the largest increase since the war began in 2001. Taking the advice of both the Pentagon and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he also fired Gen. David McKiernan – then the U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan – and replaced him with a man he didn't know and had met only briefly: Gen. Stanley McChrystal. It was the first time a top general had been relieved from duty during wartime in more than 50 years, since Harry Truman fired Gen. Douglas MacArthur at the height of the Korean War.

Even though he had voted for Obama, McChrystal and his new commander in chief failed from the outset to connect. The general first encountered Obama a week after he took office, when the president met with a dozen senior military officials in a room at the Pentagon known as the Tank. According to sources familiar with the meeting, McChrystal thought Obama looked "uncomfortable and intimidated" by the roomful of military brass. Their first one-on-one meeting took place in the Oval Office four months later, after McChrystal got the Afghanistan job, and it didn't go much better. "It was a 10-minute photo op," says an adviser to McChrystal. "Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was. Here's the guy who's going to run his fucking war, but he didn't seem very engaged. The Boss was pretty disappointed."

Article Pages 2-6 Continues Here

Comment

Working...