PDA

View Full Version : The Big 4 Satellite Broadcast

Hardrock69
06-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Went to see this at a local theater last night

Fucking Hell.

Anthrax was ok, mix was pretty bad. Joey Belladonna was never someone I thought was a great singer, but he was as good as I have ever seen him.

As they were first up, the volume was not very high in the theater. I would assume someone complained because halfway through their set they turned it up to an acceptable level. Not nearly as loud as a real concert, of course, lol.

Right in the midst of their set, they suddenly broke into a couple of verses of the Black Sabbath song "Heaven & Hell". Later on in the broadcast, there was an interview with Lars Ulrich, Dave Mustaine, and Scott Ian, who all shared their stories about Ronnie Dio, and then they displayed some text on the screen, something like "This concert is in memory of Ronnie James Dio 1942-2010". Got a great response from the crowd in the theater (naturally).

Surprisingly Megadeth went on next. Thought they were more 'mainstream' than Slayer, and thought they would go on just before Metallica. I have always hated Dave Mustaine's vocals. He sucks as a vocalist. At least Hetfield has balls and punch to his delivery, whereas Mustaine sounds like a whiny pussy. Band was kickass, Elefson was great. Began to rain like a motherfucker while they were on. They were the only band to be rained on. Fucking Mustaine may suck as a vocalist, but he is fucking badass on his guitar.

Next up: Slayer

I own ZERO Slayer. They are not a band I listen to in general.

That said, they are fucking incredible live. They were going to play Gnashville on their American Carnage tour, but due to Araya's back surgery, they cancelled our part of the tour. Have seen them twice live, both times it was a mind-bending experience. Was pissed off they cancelled their Gnashville date.
Dave Lombardo fucking rules! Tom Araya lost some weight, Danneman gained some. He musta stole it off Tom while Tom was passed out or something.

They kicked fucking ass. Opened with "World Painted Blood", which fucking smoked.

Finally, Metallica. They were as good as they ever are. I watched about half their set and then split. Have only seen them twice back in the 80s, but have seen them on video/DVD more times than I can recall, and I have several concert boots of them. Really good, rock solid performance.

It was worth the price of admission. Too bad they will not do a big 4 stadium tour here in the US.

atomicpunk5151
06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Finally, Metallica. They were as good as they ever are. I watched about half their set and then split. Have only seen them twice back in the 80s, but have seen them on video/DVD more times than I can recall, and I have several concert boots of them.

HR,

Looks like you missed the best part. All 4 bands got up and played "Am I Evil" during Metallica's encore. I posted the video in the Megadeth Topic in this forum. Check it out.

Hardrock69
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Ah. Thanks. I also wanted to get home, as I have to get up early every weekday to go to the slave pit. AND, I knew I would get the broadcast on DVD eventually, courtesy of Bootleg World.

Mr. Vengeance
06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
I enjoyed it. I didn't stay until the very end either, since I needed to get to work the next morning. Really enjoyed Anthrax. They seemed to be having the most fun, and the Heaven and Hell version was a nice surprise.

Hardrock69
06-23-2010, 09:32 PM
The people in the theater here were the same way. Pretty damned sedate for a metal show actually. I was probably the loudest person in there, and that was not saying a lot, lol.

Man, I been thinking about it all day, and Slayer is definitely the most popular TRULY BRUTAL band on the planet. I mean, Metallica is heavy, but Slayer makes them sound like a rock band in terms of sheer ferociously MENACING intensity.

"Off to Never Never Land" vs "ANGEL OF DEATH!"

Diamondjimi
06-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Slayer OWNS!!!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x246/l3nar0/BIGSIZES-SS-layer.gif

atomicpunk5151
06-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey just an FYI for the torrent folks here.

Somehow, someway the satellite broadcast got recorded by someone out there. Pirate satellite?....lol....

There is a 25 Gig version of the show at Metpage.

There is an 8 gig and a 4 gig version up at demoniod.

There is also a Metallica only 10 gig version at metfuk. it is 3 (.ts) files for easier burning.

Hardrock69
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I have the 8 gig file. .mkv file. It IS a direct feed recording. Serious HD. Sound quality is grate. Picture is grate.

I watched the Slayer set again last night. Fucking incredible. Such menacing intensity must be seen to be believed.