X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thetruthbaby
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2004

VH vs VHAGAR...THE BOTTOM LINE

This is a long post so get ready. I've been a fan of VH (like many) for years. When Sammy Hagar joined VH I had an open mind and bought 5150 and saw them on tour. After those 2 events it was over for me. I respect Hagar as a musician but to try and argue that Hagar's VH is on par with Roth's is laughable. When I see a person trying to convince themselves that VHagar is even close to VH/Roth I automatically assume (and am usually right) that the person was too young to experience the incredible power of the real VH. Over at the VH Links they had a question a few months back about age and sure enough they're MOSTLY a bunch of kids in their early to mid 20's who never saw VH, only Van Hagar. TYPICAL. The bottom line is that VH with Roth sold more ablums and more concert tickets. 1984 was thier peak with over 5 million albums sold in its first year and a half of release (now 10 MILLION SOLD). 5150 sold a little over 3 million in its first year and now is at 5 million sold. VHAGAR fans seem to selectively "overlook" that 5150 sold only HALF of what 1984 did and use the cop out "it was their first number one album". Well it only sold half of what 1984 did. Beyond numbers though this is about legacy. And VH's legacy is with DAVID LEE ROTH, MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT BOYS AND GIRLS. They will be remembered for Runnin With The Devil and Panama etc., NOT Why Can't This Be Love and Dreams. If you don't see this I feel sorrry for you. You simply don't have a clue. There is a reason this supposed "reunion" tour is not generating mayhem in the rock and roll world, and that is because Roth is not there. All of you Hagar lovers get off it already. Van Halen's history lies with Roth. The part that matters anyway.
    DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER
  • Nii Mekolo
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Jun 2004

That t'is a point of the ages. When I think of VH, I think of DLR doing a bunch of matrial art moves, not Sammy of Doom singing Dreams. Its a shame that Eddie, who is the master of the guitar has to be near Sammy Hagar, who is just an average singer that doesn't compliment the music enough. And he isn't funny...lol.

Comment

• RogueHorseman
      Commando
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
      This is a long post so get ready. I've been a fan of VH (like many) for years. When Sammy Hagar joined VH I had an open mind and bought 5150 and saw them on tour. After those 2 events it was over for me. I respect Hagar as a musician but to try and argue that Hagar's VH is on par with Roth's is laughable. When I see a person trying to convince themselves that VHagar is even close to VH/Roth I automatically assume (and am usually right) that the person was too young to experience the incredible power of the real VH. Over at the VH Links they had a question a few months back about age and sure enough they're MOSTLY a bunch of kids in their early to mid 20's who never saw VH, only Van Hagar. TYPICAL. The bottom line is that VH with Roth sold more ablums and more concert tickets. 1984 was thier peak with over 5 million albums sold in its first year and a half of release (now 10 MILLION SOLD). 5150 sold a little over 3 million in its first year and now is at 5 million sold. VHAGAR fans seem to selectively "overlook" that 5150 sold only HALF of what 1984 did and use the cop out "it was their first number one album". Well it only sold half of what 1984 did. Beyond numbers though this is about legacy. And VH's legacy is with DAVID LEE ROTH, MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT BOYS AND GIRLS. They will be remembered for Runnin With The Devil and Panama etc., NOT Why Can't This Be Love and Dreams. If you don't see this I feel sorrry for you. You simply don't have a clue. There is a reason this supposed "reunion" tour is not generating mayhem in the rock and roll world, and that is because Roth is not there. All of you Hagar lovers get off it already. Van Halen's history lies with Roth. The part that matters anyway.
      Very well put, and welcome aboard.

One other thing they overlook is the fact that 5150 in large part only did as well as it did riding the coat tails of the huge success 1984/Dave generated just before. Evey album after that dropped by 2 million or so in sales... After Balance barely made a blip, Dave was poised to bring them back to respectability sales wise. A scant TWO new tracks with Dave on Best Of 1 and what happens... boom, 3 million units move almost overnight. Had they not totally botched the deal for the 96 reunion and not seen the resulting fan backlash there is not telling what BO1 would have moved, not to mention had they toured, cut a new album of new material.... what fools.

Then what? VHIII which I'm told did not even legitimately go Gold (500,000 units), although they claim it did (maybe via cutouts, comps, etc.) and now this complete sham of a reunion tour...
      <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...