X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firebrand
    Roadie
    • Jun 2004

Old Timer Here...

I've been a Halenite since 1978. Seen the band thrice, twice with Roth, once with Hagar. Even though I feel most thinking folk will admit Van Halen is about 70% Eddie, it ain't never, ever ever ever gonna be 100% VH without David Lee Roth. Period. End of story.

I was thrilled with the three songs on the greatest hits package. Thought David Lee sounded great, and the old push-pull tension between his lyrics and Eddie's musicianship was working the mojo again.

Eddie & David Lee better sit down together, alone, have a prayer meeting, and flush the proverbial toilet before both of them drown in the overflow. America wants them together, and VH would return to the top of the charts in a moment.

This tour is about as exciting as watching Black Sabbath reunite with Ronnie James Dio. They might call it Black Sabbath, and call it a reunion at that, but that ain't Sabbath, and this ain't Van Halen.

I'll admit this much - I thought 5150 was a cool album. But that was it. The magic with Hagar was gone after that. I would have thought the mediocre at best effort of "Balance" would have given Eddie a clue that the jig was up.

David Lee, call Eddie when this cloud of poo evaporates, tell him it comes down to the two of you (no lawyers, record execs, or anyone else), and y'all get it straight before God calls one of you home.

It CAN be done.
    With a rebel yell, she cries "more more more!"...
  • VANHALEN2004
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2004

Keep Dreaming

Comment

• rustoffa
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Re: Old Timer Here...

Originally posted by Firebrand
      I've been a Halenite since 1978. Seen the band thrice, twice with Roth, once with Hagar. Even though I feel most thinking folk will admit Van Halen is about 70% Eddie, it ain't never, ever ever ever gonna be 100% VH without David Lee Roth. Period. End of story.

I was thrilled with the three songs on the greatest hits package. Thought David Lee sounded great, and the old push-pull tension between his lyrics and Eddie's musicianship was working the mojo again.

Eddie & David Lee better sit down together, alone, have a prayer meeting, and flush the proverbial toilet before both of them drown in the overflow. America wants them together, and VH would return to the top of the charts in a moment.

This tour is about as exciting as watching Black Sabbath reunite with Ronnie James Dio. They might call it Black Sabbath, and call it a reunion at that, but that ain't Sabbath, and this ain't Van Halen.

I'll admit this much - I thought 5150 was a cool album. But that was it. The magic with Hagar was gone after that. I would have thought the mediocre at best effort of "Balance" would have given Eddie a clue that the jig was up.

David Lee, call Eddie when this cloud of poo evaporates, tell him it comes down to the two of you (no lawyers, record execs, or anyone else), and y'all get it straight before God calls one of you home.

It CAN be done.
      Welcome to the site bro! Wherebouts in Georgia you from?:confused:

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Welcome to the site...and keep the hope...doubt it will happen...but you never know...

I thought there were only TWO songs on the greatest hits package? Man...I must have missed one...

and no...I don't think that Eddie is 70% of VH...but I guess it depends on how you look at it...

he's always and ever will be 25% of the band...period...well...now...about 90% of the band because the others are fucking pussies...

but Ed thinking he's more than 25% is what ultimately killed them...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Welcome Firebrand !

Three Songs ???
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

That must have been a typo..

If not, can I have the third song please
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• rustoffa
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

*phew*

Comment

• lms2

so shall I stay tuned to this tread for a new download. I am also excited about that third song.

Comment

• SoCalChelle
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

It CAN be done.
                  Amen
                  Formerly Tormented VH Fan
                  Facebook: Chelle Marley

Comment

• light 'em up!
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Mar 2004

When it comes to VH, I'm an old timer too bro. After 85, I tolerated Hagar. Now, I just can't stand the guy. He literally turns my stomach.

I think their is still a chance for a real VH reunion IF Ed and Al can stay healthy or even live that long. I strongly suspect that Dave was invited into this current situation in a dual VH reunion scenario, which I'm certain he most adimantly declined. If this tour bombs though, the chances for a real VH reunion will increase dramatically, but I'm not so sure it would be worthwhile. The bros look like absolute shit these days and most of the fans don't really care anymore... not like they used to. I think the ulitmate window of opportunity was in 1996 and we all saw how Ed just pissed it all away... selfish bastard.
                    Last edited by light 'em up!; 06-05-2004, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• classicdude
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Apr 2004

Nice to hear an honest fan's thoughts! Keep the dream alive, stranger things have happened. I never EVER thought I would have seen the day Diamond Dave toured with Spam but it happened.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

song three...song three...song three!!!!!

Dude...you would be the most popular poster on the planet...lmfao...

NOW WAKE UP PEOPLE...

until Ed drinks for a few more years...and gets back to numbness...a reunion with Dave will never happen...

gotta numb that EVH ego...
                        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Firebrand
                          Roadie
                          • Jun 2004

Yup, 'twas two, not three...

...although comparitively speaking, it was three songs worth.

I believe it can happen, y'all. I believe it. It has once, and other than simple foolish pride, it can happen again.

Eddie is a classic savant type artist. He is egotistic, egocentric, and paranoid. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Alex can sit down with him after this exercise in futility is over and talk some sense and humility into his ultra-talented brother.

Again, it CAN happen.

As far as Ed being 70% of the band - I'll be willing to say 60%. With Hagar, it's at least 70%. Face it, he is. It all revolves completely around his guitar. But that's cool. When it's DLR in the other 40%, that 100% combined whups anything else rock n roll has ever produced.

Confused now? Good.

BTW - I am in Thomasville, Georgia.

"What a glorious world God Almighty has given us. How thankless and ungrateful we are, and how we labour to mar His gifts."
                          - General Robert E. Lee, CSA
                          With a rebel yell, she cries "more more more!"...

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                            Commando
                            • Apr 2004

...although comparitively speaking, it was three songs worth.

I believe it can happen, y'all. I believe it. It has once, and other than simple foolish pride, it can happen again.

Eddie is a classic savant type artist. He is egotistic, egocentric, and paranoid. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Alex can sit down with him after this exercise in futility is over and talk some sense and humility into his ultra-talented brother.

Again, it CAN happen.

As far as Ed being 70% of the band - I'll be willing to say 60%. With Hagar, it's at least 70%. Face it, he is. It all revolves completely around his guitar. But that's cool. When it's DLR in the other 40%, that 100% combined whups anything else rock n roll has ever produced.

Confused now? Good.

BTW - I am in Thomasville, Georgia.

"What a glorious world God Almighty has given us. How thankless and ungrateful we are, and how we labour to mar His gifts."
                            - General Robert E. Lee, CSA
                            Welcome to the board, I'm a Georgia boy too...

Don't bank on Al patching things together for A REAL REUNION, however... He is more jealous of dave than Ed, and by far.

Also, flip the 60/40 percent split with Eddie the ladder, is more like the way it really was for the six pack. Not to in any way discount Eddie's innovative and almost genuis playing at the time, but Dave was clearly and by all indications THE driving force of what was essentially HIS band.

He really never should have pushed the brothers to name the thing VH, really... a mistake in hindsight.
                            <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: Old Timer Here...

Gotta disagree with you there... Dehumanizer was one Hell of an album. Sabbath w/Dio definitely were able to recapture what they had on Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules. Granted, it wasn't and never will be the REAL Black Sabbath, but unlike Van Hagar, they were a great rock band in their own right.

But welcome to the Army anyhow. There's been such a Sammy sheep infestation lately that I was beginning to think the REAL Van Halen fans lost the link to the board
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...