PDA

View Full Version : "I Will Survive!" A Holocaust Dance Party. WTF?

Nickdfresh
07-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Did the world really need this?

July 14, 2010

Auschwitz 'I Will Survive' Dance Video Creator, Jane Korman, And Father, Adolek Kohn, Speak Out (VIDEO)

First Posted: 07-14-10 11:12 AM | Updated: 07-14-10 11:20 AM

Jane Korman and her father, Holocaust survivor Adolek Kohn, spoke with BBC Tuesday to defend the video they made last summer, which shows the two accompanied by Kohn's three grandchildren dancing to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" in front of Auschwitz and other Holocaust sites.

"Despite the systematic brutality and cruelty endured, we have still survived," she said about the video's intentions. Korman told the BBC that it was about creating something that young people could connect with:

"It was really important for me to create some sort of work that had a fresh interpretation of the Holocaust. Especially for the younger generation, because I could see that even the word 'Holocaust' and the images that one sees of the Holocaust were numbing and in fact, they weren't even interested."

Since it was put on YouTube in January, the video has received over 330,000 hits and over 2,000 comments from viewers, who have called it everything from 'heart-warming' to 'despicable.'

YouTube user colonelcandoo said "I am sure the millions of peopled who died here would be ecstatic that you and your family are alive and dancing here. Keep on dancing..."

Other viewers found a different message in Korman's art, however, which she said is "a tribute to the tenacity of the human spirit and a celebration of life."

"This video is touching. Thank you!" Said user zeonchar.

Kohn, who dances throughout the video with the word 'Survivor' on his shirt, said that he did not mind dancing.

"If somebody had asked me then that I would come 62 years later with my grandchildren to Auschwitz, I would send him to a madhouse," he said.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUvo5OHH6o8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUvo5OHH6o8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hardrock69
07-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Man...this is a warped world. But then, if I had endured the horrors of the kamps and had survived.....and then lived into my 80s or 90s, I sure as fuck would be ready to dance my ass off in happiness!

Dr. Love
07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I swear, Alex Van Halen dances better than some of those people

Nickdfresh
07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I swear, Alex Van Halen dances better than some of those people

"Despite the systematic brutality and cruelty endured, we have still survived," she said about the video's intentions. Korman told the BBC that it was about creating something that young people could connect with:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure young people ain't connecting with those madd dance moves...

chefcraig
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
It is sort of bizarre that the article uses comments offered by Youtube members (the type of folks similar to ARMY trolls whom have proven time and again to be some of the most clue-free individuals on the entire planet) in order to make it's points. Since the above clip has been removed, a search for alternate versions reveals insightful statements such as the following...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PtrFJtseg:
Europedaughter88 - the lie is being discovered.

salqaperu -"The Native americans had a holocoust even worse than the Jewish but they don't seem to take it so seriously."

LaMademoiselleZoe - its a nice idea but I think its a little bit disrespected for the death people.

rafaelateamotata - i like to have this germany girl !! she is fuck hot nice hehehe !!

jgs727 - I am up for adoption, house broken and would LOVE to be a part of this honorable family. Outraged? BS what happened to the 6 million and more is OUTRAGE, this is delightful and shows no disrespect to anyone that matters......and the souls lost, must be smiling!

DeLuxeMon - this is some ill shit man

Guitar Shark
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
People are strange.

Nitro Express
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
People are strange.

Reality is stranger than fiction.

To be honest, I don't think we learned our lessons from WWII and the holocaust. I can see it happening again to be honest. We didn't even learn our lessons from Vietnam. Odly enough, we are in another Vietnam in the middle east while Americans were too busy worrying about getting rich quick in the stock markets and real estate markets.

All this shit happens because of greed and when the population gets distracted or drinks the Kool Aid, it happens again.