PDA

View Full Version : Oh No LMAO!Ethics panel charges Rangel with conduct discrediting the House

Jagermeister
07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Washington (CNN) -- The House ethics committee on Thursday accused veteran Rep. Charles Rangel of 13 violations of House rules involving alleged financial wrongdoing and harming the credibility of Congress.

"Credibility is what's at stake here; the very credibility of the House itself before the American people," said Rep. Mike McCaul, the ranking Republican on a subcommittee that will hold a trial-like hearing on the charges against Rangel.

McCaul spoke at the subcommittee's first meeting, which heard the charges against Rangel, a 20-term Democrat from New York running for re-election this year. Rangel was not required to attend and did not show up.

According to committee documents, Rangel earlier filed a motion to dismiss the allegations against him that was denied.

Rangel said this week that his lawyers were in talks with committee lawyers on a possible deal to avoid the public hearing on his alleged violations. When Thursday's hearing was delayed for 55 minutes with no explanation, rumors of an imminent agreement quickly spread.

However, the panel gathered and held the hearing, which included the first public announcement of the specific committee charges against Rangel. It remained unclear whether a settlement avoiding the spectacle of a trial hearing was possible.

According to the charges, Rangel allegedly failed to report more than $600,000 on financial disclosure reports and improperly solicited funds for the construction of a center bearing his name at the City College of New York.

The committee also alleged that Rangel improperly used a rent-subsidized apartment as a campaign office for over a decade and failed to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic.

Rangel "argues that errors on his personal taxes do not implicate discharge of his official responsibilities," committee investigators concluded in response to Rangel's request to have the charges dismissed. He "appears to be operating under the erroneous belief that the only conduct subject to discipline is conduct directly related to the discharge of his official responsibilities."

An investigative subcommittee report on Rangel's dealings, available on the committee's Web site, detailed a lengthy series of meetings the congressman held with business leaders to raise funds for the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Policy at the City College. His repeated attempts to woo potential donors violated the House's solicitation and gift ban, the report said.

Among other things, the report stated that Rangel met with a lobbyist for insurance giant AIG in April 2008 with the objective to "close" a $10 million "gift for the Rangel Center."

At the meeting, "AIG raised concerns about a potential donation, including the potential headline risk," the report stated. But Rangel pushed ahead, asking "AIG, at least twice, what was necessary to get this done."

During the period of time that Rangel was seeking donations from AIG, according to committee investigators, the company was lobbying the House on several tax and trade issues -- matters over which Rangel exercised considerable influence.

It also noted that, in March 2007, he used congressional letterhead to send notes to business leaders such as Donald Trump, in which he requested meetings to discuss the Rangel Center.

The congressman's "acceptance of favors and benefits from donors to the Rangel Center ... might be construed by reasonable persons as influencing the performance of his governmental duties," the report concluded.

It stated that the "accumulation of (Rangel's) actions reflected poorly on the institution of the House and, thereby, brought discredit to the House."

McCaul said the allegations against Rangel, if proven, would violate "the most fundamental code of conduct" for House members.

Rep. Gene Green of Texas, a Democrat who led a two-year ethics subcommittee investigation of Rangel, said it was a difficult job.

"The task is even more difficult when the subject has befriended and mentored so many new members, and I'm one of them," Green said.

Another ethics committee member, Republican Rep. Jo Bonner of Alabama, said "this is truly a sad day where no one, regardless of their partisan stripes, should rejoice."

Rangel temporarily stepped down as Ways and Means Committee chairman earlier this year following the announcement of an ethics investigation of several allegations, including failure to pay taxes on the Dominican Republic residence.

The House ethics committee previously admonished Rangel for violating rules on receiving gifts. Specifically, the committee found that Rangel violated House gift rules by accepting reimbursement payments for travel to conferences in the Caribbean in 2007 and 2008.

Rangel, whose autobiography that discusses his Korean War experience is titled "And I Haven't Had a Bad Day Since," told reporters earlier Thursday that "I have to reassess that (statement)" in light of the pending hearing.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday -- in response to a question about Rangel -- that there must be "accountability" and "transparency" in cases of ethical transgressions.

"Holding a high ethical standard is a serious responsibility ... and a top priority" for the House Democratic leadership, she said. In terms of political fallout from cases such as Rangel's, "the chips will fall where they may," she said.

Congressional Democrats have reportedly expressed concern that an extended public airing of the charges against Rangel could damage the party's prospects in the November midterm elections

Jagermeister
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
A black corrupt liberal ass fuckin hole! :dafinger:

Jagermeister
07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm going to sign off by saying this is what happens when black people get power. :tongue0011:

Fuck you in advance jhale. :)

FORD
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Well this thread just took a serious dive under the white sheets.......

http://markwadestone.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/kkk2.jpg

(For the record, pretty much all NY politicians are corrupt tools with the possible exceptions of Anthony Weiner and Jerry Nadler. If Rangel's guilty, throw his ass out. But his skin pigmentation ain't got nothin' to do with it.)

Hardrock69
07-30-2010, 09:43 AM
'possible exceptions'?

Finding someone in Congress who is NOT a 'corrupt tool' is like trying to find a virgin at a swinger's party!

Jagermeister
07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Reprimand Rangel, House committee investigators sayFrom Deirdre Walsh, CNNJuly 30, 2010 1:40 p.m. EDT

A reprimand would be a relatively light punishment, compared with censure and expulsion. The recommendation was made to the ethics committee before Thursday's public hearing detailing charges against Rangel.

The full committee and the House would have to approve any sanction against Rangel.

Asked about the recommendation, Rangel said it's "untrue."

The committee has accused Rangel, a Harlem Democrat, of 13 violations of House rules involving alleged financial wrongdoing and harming the credibility of Congress.

Among other things, Rangel has been charged with using his influence to solicit donations for a college policy center bearing his name from corporate heads and others with business before the powerful House Ways and Means Committee that Rangel chaired until forced to give up the leadership position earlier this year.

Other charges involve alleged income tax and financial disclosure violations, as well as improper use of government mail service and letterhead.

An ethics committee trial of Rangel is still set to be held, most likely in September, barring a settlement between Rangel and the committee members.

Jagermeister
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
This is fucking so fucked up it's not even funny!

Remember when that guy called the jack ass Obama a liar? Jesus Christ you would have thought the goddamn world had ended. Yet this fuckwad gets off like this?

COME ON PEOPLE! WAKE THE FUCK UP! :dafinger:

GAR
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Well this thread just took a serious dive under the white sheets....

It's about CORRUPTION, Stupid!

GAR
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
This is fucking so fucked up it's not even funny!

No it is pretty serious, a guy in DC forty years knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak, and could no doubt pull as many strings as it takes to stay in his seat.

Remember the guy in Louisiana with 100K in bribe money the FBI found in his freezer? What happened to him.. he denied everything.

(oh but he was black too - oh sorry, racist ME there I go again huh FRODO)

Jagermeister
07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I tell you what. All the liberal's here are going to have to dig pretty goddamn deep to sling shit heavier than this towards the GOP. All you got is some shit about the Tea Party?

Please shut the fuck up! :dafinger:

FORD
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Was Tom DeLay black? Was Jack Abramoff black? Is Dick Cheney black? Are the BCE black? (well, aside from Colin Powell and Condi Rice, anyway)

Ken Blackwell - now he's corrupt as fucking Hell, but it wasn't his skin pigmentation that made him an election fraud felon.

Jagermeister
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Was Tom DeLay black? Was Jack Abramoff black? Is Dick Cheney black? Are the BCE black? (well, aside from Colin Powell and Condi Rice, anyway)

Ken Blackwell - now he's corrupt as fucking Hell, but it wasn't his skin pigmentation that made him an election fraud felon.

This guy being black is just one more reason he should be shoved out of office. Not the primary one. :biggrin:

FORD
07-30-2010, 03:21 PM
This guy being black is just one more reason he should be shoved out of office. Not the primary one. :biggrin:

That's not what you said in posts #2 and #3, racist.

Hardrock69
07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Skin color does not make the man.

Corruption is beyond skin deep.

Jagermeister
07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
That's not what you said in posts #2 and #3, racist.

Um you're a little rusty. I said several things about him in post 2 and 3 regarding his black ass but primarily i was pointing to the fact that A) he was black and B) he was a liberal ass hole and C) black people in power are bound to abuse it.

Yes Yes I did say those things. All are true statements. Including the fact that I am a racist.

hambon4lif
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Skin color does not make the man.

Corruption is beyond skin deep.I hear that!

Our former Governor is neck-deep in a corruption trial for trying to sell Obamas senate seat to the highest bidder. The jury's been in deliberation with their thumbs up their asses for the last 3 days, and from the evidence they have...that's 3 days too long.

It's an open/shut case, but he'll most likely skate, too.

FORD
07-30-2010, 09:17 PM
'possible exceptions'?

Finding someone in Congress who is NOT a 'corrupt tool' is like trying to find a virgin at a swinger's party!

Well, as I said above, Anthony Weiner is definitely one of those exceptions......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

We need more like him, Alan Grayson, and Dennis Kucinich in the House. Hell, I'll even give a half assed shout out to Ron Paul, who at least is right about the overseas warmongering and the Wall Street /"Federal" Reserve horseshit.

kwame k
07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Considering the majority of people in The House are and have always been white.......can't really say black people have fucked up The House!

FORD
07-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh, and just to piss off GAyR and Jackoffmeister, let me add that the Congressional Black Caucus are also usually on the correct side of most things in Congress. Including being the only ones who had the balls to stand for the lawful election of President Al Gore on that dark day in 2000 when a joint session of Congress went through their procedural vote on whether to accept the electoral college results (including the false count from Florida)

kwame k
07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, we could get into the whole transgressions that Wall Street perpetrated on the American people......fully supported by a White House!

Nickdfresh
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
A black corrupt liberal ass fuckin hole! :dafinger:

I'm going to sign off by saying this is what happens when black people get power. :tongue0011:

Fuck you in advance jhale. :)

But if he were a white Republican, you'd cum all over yourself to defend him as a martyr of the "liberal media"...

Nickdfresh
07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
No it is pretty serious, a guy in DC forty years knows where all the bodies are buried so to speak, and could no doubt pull as many strings as it takes to stay in his seat.

Remember the guy in Louisiana with 100K in bribe money the FBI found in his freezer? What happened to him.. he denied everything.

(oh but he was black too - oh sorry, racist ME there I go again huh FRODO)

No. Actually, the FBI fucked up the "chain-of-evidence" against him and botched the case based on orders to act prematurely largely at the behest of the Bush White House in search of Dem scandals during the era of the GOP meltdown...

Nickdfresh
07-30-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm going to sign off by saying this is what happens when black people get power...

Oh, well ignorant fuckwit, what happened when white Republicans "gained power" between 1994 and 2006? Oh yeah, they were douched from power because of their ongoing corruption and ethics scandals...

GAR
07-31-2010, 02:56 AM
Well, as I said above, Anthony Weiner is definitely one of those exceptions......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

We need more like him, Alan Grayson, and Dennis Kucinich in the House. Hell, I'll even give a half assed shout out to Ron Paul, who at least is right about the overseas warmongering and the Wall Street /"Federal" Reserve horseshit.

My chick's from Ohio and according to her, everyone back there thinks Cucinich is a joke and a liar. They won't give him another chance since he blew the big votes on TARP, the Bailouts, Healthscare, and everything else Cucinich does is lockstep Obama agenda. Fuck that guy.

GAR
07-31-2010, 02:58 AM
No. Actually, the FBI fucked up the "chain-of-evidence" against him and botched the case based on orders to act prematurely largely at the behest of the Bush White House in search of Dem scandals during the era of the GOP meltdown...

So.. you don't think it's possible the Justice Dept. got orders from DNC to do a sloppy job? They've been in control since 2006.

Nickdfresh
07-31-2010, 07:37 AM
So.. you don't think it's possible the Justice Dept. got orders from DNC to do a sloppy job? They've been in control since 2006.

The Justice Dept. is tied to the Executive Branch. Go back to 11th grade social studies and learn what the fuck you are talking about...

Nickdfresh
07-31-2010, 07:38 AM
My chick's from Ohio and according to her, everyone back there thinks Cucinich is a joke and a liar. They won't give him another chance since he blew the big votes on TARP, the Bailouts, Healthscare, and everything else Cucinich does is lockstep Obama agenda. Fuck that guy.

Well, your chick's opinion means shit since she's obviously is desperate and clueless...

Jagermeister
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Washington (CNN) -- Veteran Rep. Charlie Rangel apologized on the House floor Tuesday for causing any embarrassment by violating chamber rules, but he insisted he is not corrupt and refused to resign.

In a sometimes rambling speech, the New York Democrat defiantly challenged the House ethics committee to move faster on holding a public hearing on the 13 counts of alleged violations against him.

He also challenged fellow House members of both parties to kick him out if they want to get rid of him.

"If it is the judgment of the people here that I should resign," then the ethics committee should expedite its consideration of the charges against him, Rangel said.

But "I am not going away. I am here."

Rangel blasted what he characterized as a politicized, partisan ethics investigation process.

"Somebody has to do more than wish I go away," he said. "I am not asking for leniency. I'm asking for exposure of the facts."

If you think I'm guilty of violating House rules, then "fire your best shot at getting rid of me through expulsion," said Rangel, a 20-term congressman running for re-election in his Harlem district.

House Republicans and some House Democrats have called for Rangel to resign because of the alleged ethics violations. With another ethics case pending against fellow House Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters of California, Rangel is under pressure to ease the negative publicity of his case during the runup to congressional midterm elections in November.

Rangel acknowledged those sentiments, saying, "Heck, if I was you, I might want me to go away too." However, he made clear that only expulsion by the full House would get him to leave.

"Are you going to say that while there's no evidence that I took a nickel ... that I have to leave here?" he asked. "Do what you have to do."

On July 29, the House ethics committee accused Rangel of 13 violations of House rules involving alleged financial wrongdoing and harming the credibility of Congress.

Among other things, Rangel has been accused of using his influence to solicit donations for a college policy center bearing his name from corporate heads and others with business before the powerful House Ways and Means Committee. Rangel was chairman of the committee until he was forced to give up the leadership position this year because of the pending allegations.

Other charges involve alleged income tax and financial disclosure violations, as well as improper use of government mail service and letterhead.

An ethics committee trial of Rangel is still set to be held, most likely in September, barring a settlement between Rangel and the committee members.

Rangel said Tuesday that he wanted the ethics committee to announce a date for the trial hearing, instead of leaving him and the chamber on hold during campaigning for upcoming primary elections and the November midterm vote.

"I have to wait until after my primary to find about when the ethics committee intends to have a hearing," Rangel said of the New York primary vote on September 14. He later quipped: "I'm 80 years old. I don't want to die before the hearing."

Rangel also offered explanations for the ethics charges against him, characterizing them as mistakes and acknowledging violations of House rules but denying they amounted to corruption.

"It's not corrupt," he said of using House letterhead for approaching possible contributors to a university policy center in his name. "It may be stupid. It may be negligent, but it's not corrupt."

Regarding an accusation that he used a rent-controlled apartment as a campaign office, Rangel said he did nothing wrong but was "insensitive to the appearance of being treated differently."

"I plead guilty of not being sensitive," he said.

Rangel also said that he referred problems with tax issues to the ethics committee himself, saying it showed he never intended to hide anything.

Republicans say the cases of Rangel and Waters show that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has failed to live up to her vow to rid the House of corruption.

Ken Spain, the communications director of the National Republican Campaign Committee, said Pelosi's "most ethical Congress in history" had "has turned into a three-ring circus."

However, Rangel blamed partisan politics by Republican members of the ethics committee for the two-year investigation of his case, as well as the lack of a firm date for the trial hearing on his alleged violations.

He also said that the ranking Republican on the ethics subcommittee that would hold the trial hearing had already stated publicly that Rangel is corrupt.

"Isn't this historically the first time that it appears as though partisanship has entered the subcommittee?" Rangel said, later adding: "Who in the heck would want somebody who called you corrupt to be the ranking guy on the subcommittee to judge you?"

An expedited hearing is needed to reveal all the facts, rather than continued delay in hopes that Rangel would run out of money for lawyers or otherwise lose his resolve to fight the charges, he said.

"Don't let this happen to you," he said in advice to newer House members. "Don't walk away as a convenience with no evidence against you."

He apologized "for any embarrassment I've caused," he said, but insisted he would retain his dignity despite the allegations.

"For God's sake, just don't believe that I don't have feelings, that I don't have pride," Rangel said, later adding: "You're not going to tell me to resign to make you feel comfortable."

Jagermeister
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
This guy is so full of shit!

BigBadBrian
08-12-2010, 09:52 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kYLFkLCK9Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kYLFkLCK9Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

vanhalen1r2
09-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Oh, and just to piss off GAyR and Jackoffmeister, let me add that the Congressional Black Caucus are also usually on the correct side of most things in Congress. Including being the only ones who had the balls to stand for the lawful election of President Al Gore on that dark day in 2000 when a joint session of Congress went through their procedural vote on whether to accept the electoral college results (including the false count from Florida)

NEWS FLASH

Gore concedes presidential election

December 13, 2000
Web posted at: 11:03 p.m. EST (0403 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Al Gore conceded the 2000 presidential election Wednesday night, effectively concluding an election that was supposed to have ended five weeks ago.

FORD
09-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Off topic necrospamming. What a batshit crazy douchebag.

vanhalen1r2
09-06-2010, 01:10 AM

Just like you FORD, but I did stay on topic and responded to your batshit bullshit about the 2000 election.

BigBadBrian
09-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Poor FORD, his boy Dean is destined forever to be a non-player in national politics.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KDwODbl3muE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KDwODbl3muE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>