X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Oklahoma '78

I wasn't sure where I should post this. Although it's regarding the Oklahoma '78 bootleg, it's also regarding Michael Anthony. I was listening to this today and throughout the entire recording, Anthony is trying to make himself heard by addressing the crowd, introducing Alex Van Halen and just some weird fucking noises.

At what point did they tell him to shut the fuck up and just sing back up ONLY? I'm assuming the headlining tour for VH II.
    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Yeah, Mike did a lot of extra yelling and stuff like that on those old boots...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Carloscda
      Foot Soldier
      • Jan 2009

I thought that was Ed.
      On several boots after Alex's solo you can hear him saying "put the light on my brother".

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Yeah, Mike did a lot of extra yelling and stuff like that on those old boots...
        Part of me likes hearing the yelling and screaming Mike used to do. It gave a sense of rowdiness and hoopla to the audio .
        But the other part of me likes the "Hey Mike, shut the fuck up!" part a lot...
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
          Sniper
          • Oct 2009

It'd be cool if the band played along and went "MIKEY, SHUT THE FUCK UP"
          Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Dave was the master of the Hoopla Routine, and yes, it jacked the excitement level up a LOT, not just live, but on record as well.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

It just seemed like Mike Anthony couldn't stay away from the microphone and it gets annoying at times. On this boot in particular, not only is he introducing band members but during "Hey Hey Heys!" on "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" you can hear him yelling, "C'mon everyone in the back!"

During "I'm The One" it's even more annoying.

Dave: "How ya feelin' Edward?"

Ed: "YEAH!"

Dave: "Michael you feelin' alright?"

Mike: insert some sounding feminine noise...
              Last edited by ALMOSTsaved; 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM.
              I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

How about at the end of the Pasadena Civic bootleg in which Mikey yells...

THANK YOU YOUR THE BEST FUCKIN AUDIENCE IN THE WHOLE WORLD! WOOOO!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Mike was very vocal on those early recordings but at least he pulled off some decent bass playing and you could hear it.

Remember the Hilton boot where he one ups Dave and says fuck that to whatever Dave was saying before Rock Steady.
                  Same boot where Ed was having trouble tuning before If You Can't Rock Me and Dave says into the mic, "I think somebody drinks too much beer before the gig I think." lmao

Comment

• VAiN
                    Use my hand, I won't look
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                    How about at the end of the Pasadena Civic bootleg in which Mikey yells...

THANK YOU YOUR THE BEST FUCKIN AUDIENCE IN THE WHOLE WORLD! WOOOO!
                    Nice! This was the first boot that I ever got on CD... 'Dressed to Kill'... I remember it like it was yesterday!
                    Originally posted by wiseguy
                    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...