PDA

View Full Version : Project guitar I got a while back. Any ideas?

VanHalenFan5150
08-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Open to suggestions for this:

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad357/PeterHaight/39128_1171819233078_1755957710_291820_6056053_n.jp g

P.S. It's made of Poplar, is that good tonewood?

VAiN
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
This:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FR6DXnEnAuk/SVQoWEXhV1I/AAAAAAAAEhw/-9NX1e-OUf0/s400/Gibson+Flying+V50%27s+Model.jpg

The 'Hot For Teacher V'

twonabomber
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Open to suggestions for this:

Schenker V

http://www.rbaraki.com/V1-2.jpg

VanHalenFan5150
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Nice, nice, some good ideas :hee:

Hardrock69
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes. Good ideas. As I already have an Epi Korina V, I can say I already sort of have a "Hot For Teacher" V, though his is probably a 58-59 Gibson worth several hundred thousand bucks.
Would love to have a Schenker V. I dig the Dean signature model also. Prefer black and white axes. I call my Korina V and Explorer my 'furniture guitars', cause a) I don't play them a lot (pickups suck ass), and b) they sit around with their beautiful finish and collect dust, just like furniture, lol.

Anyway, whatever you want to do.

Well, as for how 'good' it is, wood is an unpredictable thing. Regardless of species, you could have an axe that sounds great, then the very next one off the assembly line, even cut from the same chunk of wood, can sound like shit.

Only way to really tell is to build it and see. You can compensate somewhat if the tone is not to your liking by the type of pickups you put in it also.

jhale667
08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Some old Kramers were made of Poplar. From the looks of the woodgrain (is that a trick of the light in the photo, or does it have those green mineral-streaks in it?) , a natural finish might not look so hot "for teacher" on it, if ya know what I mean, but a schenker paintjob's always killer... :killer:

GAR
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
That "mineral" streak is a tannin-stain. When all wood gets wet, tannic acid is released which then starts breaking down the sugars in the wood as it carmelizes as the sugars are oxidized over time.

This means it's seen some moisture since it's been glued up and cut out, somewhere along the line

Thats not a problem, it can be sanded off. But this looks to be a home-version of a V and not any standard pattern.

I'd dust it lightly with a can of 99 cents Flat Black from Home Depot and list the thing on ebay.. let it be someone else's problem.

VanHalenFan5150
08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Thought I was on ignore, bitch?

kwame k
08-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the club, young man...............to be on Clay's imaginary ignore list at such a young age is an accomplishment in and of itself!

Now stay in school, don't do drugs, use a condom and for fuck's sake never........and I mean never.........play those ghey ass seven string guitars :baaa:

Hardrock69
08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
:baaa:

jhale667
08-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Oh, SNAP! :lmao:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll103/realtodd/Garbanned.jpg

Back a day and pwned by the kid already...hope you've got some salve for that wicked burn, GAR

Anonymous
08-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Now stay in school, don't do drugs, use a condom and for fuck's sake never........and I mean never.........play those ghey ass seven string guitars :baaa:

Dear Gawd... I KNOW I'm going to hell for this, but...

Listen to the drummer, kid. Listen to the drummer. He's right.

Cheers! :bottle:

GAR
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Emotrollip.

GAR
08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
My Valley Arts strat was custom-ordered with Poplar on the treble half of the body, and alder on the bass half of the body.

Not that poplar isn't any good, but it is a very lite, spongey wood and resonates bass energy better than it does treble-range.

It would have been better if it was done the other way around with the alder-half on the treble side.

Another thing with poplar is the Randy Rhodes V's bodies are poplar, for weight purposes... however, they are maple neck-thru center sections and all the string mountings and pickups are mounted into the maple. Not the poplar. So being a poplar body section with that particular V neither enhances nor detracts much from tone or sustain at all. Poplar's just there for weight-savings. And becasuse it's cheaper than alder..

Hardrock69
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Your what? Another imaginary guitar? Gee, you must have an imaginary 30,000 square-foot warehouse for all your imaginary gear, loser.

GAR
08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Tee hee! How cute.

Another "me too, lookitme" after-GAR post.

I'm honored.

VanHalenFan5150
08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
If you were smart, you wouldn't post anything, because all you do is present us a situation so we can own your or make you own yourself. STFU

PETE'S BROTHER
08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
If you were smart,

.............................nuff said.:baaa:

ThrillsNSpills
08-11-2010, 12:44 PM
If you were smart, you wouldn't post anything, because all you do is present us a situation so we can own your or make you own yourself. STFU

He is an S.O.C.
self ownin' critter

but regarding the topic:
Turn it into a schenker V, get a 50 watt Marshall and a wah wah and nail that tone.

jhale667
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
He is an S.O.C.
self ownin' critter

but regarding the topic:
Turn it into a schenker V, get a 50 watt Marshall and a wah wah and nail that tone.

Correct. Ignore the douche and get the V going!

GAR
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Correct. Ignore the douche and get the V going!

Could you imagine how badly this kid will gouge up that packratted kitchen table with a halfinch plunge router bit, trying to secure the required orifices into the body?

jhale667
08-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Pretty sure he said his dad has an awesome set of tools..and there are places he can get routing templates...

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/1120_1lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Neck_Joint_Routing_Template_For_Fender.html?actn=1 00101&xst=3&xsr=22093

jhale667
08-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Stew-Mac has all that shite, and guided router bits.

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_2lg/1089_2lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Pickup_Control_Cavity_Routing_Template_Set.html?ac tn=100101&xst=3&xsr=31837

It could be set up like a Gibson with a stop tail-piece, or he can go nuts and put a recessed Floyd on the thing... :cool:

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_2lg/1110_2lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_3lg/1110_3lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Tremolo_Routing_Templates.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=95442

jhale667
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Chandler guitars has a website up these days called pickguard heaven...

http://pickguards.us/pgordinst.htm

indeedido
08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
You could burst it. Not as hard as you may think.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/g768-1.jpg

VanHalenFan5150
08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
All cool ideas. I was kind of thinking putting a 24-fret maple neck with scallops from the 21st fret upward, painting the guitar flat black or leaving it natural, putting an Official Schaller Floyd Rose bigblock, and Duncan 59's... or the official EVH pickup mounted right to the body, would like to try it out.

GAR
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Fuck that templated bullshit!

Kid, do this:

1. Outline your lines in pencil. Then masking tape along the lines from one piece of tape to the others.. first for trem, then for pickup, last the neck.

2. Throw a 3/8" diameter straight flute bit in any cheap router you can find for free loan use: if you have to pay $8 bucks for a new HSS bit at the store, that's fine. You'll only use it this one project..

3. Take a ruler to check the length of the bit as you slide it into the collet of the router, making sure you measure 11/16" to the tip of the bit up from the base. Then tighten the collet with the wrench.

4. Use a piece of scrap 2x4 cutoff from soemthing, anything. Junk wood at least 1" is okay - now turn the router on while holding the edges of the board with the sides of both palms, bring the router down slowly into the scrap wood and make a 2 inch diameter hole.

5. Turn it off, then check with the ruler the depth you cut. If it's a hair deeper than 11/16's its okay but not 3/4". You want your neck not to go too deep. If you plan on a Floyd, 5/8" is an okay depth too for both neck, and humbucker. But you'll have to go deeper for the trem spring cavity. That's why we use 11/16 depth, it works for front and back routings.

6. Okay, now that you're ready to go, fill the tub with water and sit down in it. While holding the router, switch it on, and then bring the thing down into the water. It's shockingly that easy!

7. If you follow thru steps 1 thru 6 the wrong way, you'll probably trip a circuit breaker but that's okay so long as nobody notices.

Enjoy!

VanHalenFan5150
08-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm on the ignore list, was someone talking to me?

GAR
08-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Before I forget, one more thing:

If you buy a 1/16th inch router bit instead of going three-eighths, you not only can rout wood with it, but it will double as a tattooing machine once youre done.

Tattoo's are BIG money down where youre at.. so it might take longer with a tiny bit, but it will serve a dual-purpose in the end and actually bring in money.

Win-win hands down.

Hardrock69
08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Color me weird VH5150, but to me a V with a maple neck looks strange. I guess I just love the rosewood/ebony fingerboard look.
But then, it is your guitar, and you do as you see fit. Mounting the p/u direct to the body sounds like a cool deal. As long as you have the p/u height set where you want it.

VanHalenFan5150
08-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I always preferred maple necks, and if I was to build a guitar to my own specs, well, what could go wrong with strolling down the creative path? :)

jhale667
08-12-2010, 01:12 AM
I always preferred maple necks, and if I was to build a guitar to my own specs, well, what could go wrong with strolling down the creative path? :)

Not much. :baaa:

:guitar:

GAR
08-12-2010, 04:08 AM
I strongly suggest fittng a premade neck, not making one first time round.

Hardrock69
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I strongly suggest you SHUT THE FUCK UP.

VanHalenFan5150
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
VV

Exactly what he said. But I wasn't going to make a neck for it myself anyway. Don't have that kind of patience.

Hardrock69
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Garfuckle does not understand that other people do have intelligence. He automatically assumes everyone else knows nothing, and that HE is the sole repository of knowledge on whatever subject he happens to be pontificating.

He suffers from an acute over-active Superiority Complex complete with delusions of grandeur.

Carry on, VHF5150, the rest of us are sure you have it well in hand, and that will ask the rest of us if you need an opinion.

GAR
08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Garfuckle does not understand that other people do have intelligence..

Usually that claim arrives packed in a medium-sized box of irony, not a large one.

indeedido
08-12-2010, 12:37 PM

I love the custom necks at Warmoth. I love the look too of the Ken Lawrence headstock they make. Put this guy on it...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p301/indeedido/Untitled-1copy-7.jpg

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=1&Shape=56&Path=Neck,Misc,Kenneth

Hardrock69
08-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Usually that claim arrives packed in a medium-sized box of irony, not a large one.

What 'claim', piss-face?

GAR
08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
You're implicating yourself to posess disputable levels of intellgence.

jhale667
08-12-2010, 01:36 PM

And you're proving daily that you possess at best minimal levels. BEYOND a shadow of a doubt.

Didn't learn anything, did you, hammerhead? STFU or your bullshit posts get dumped on sight - AGAIN.

Hardrock69
08-12-2010, 03:31 PM

No implication necessary, loser. It is ironic that a brain-dead fuckwad such as yourself wants to argue about 'intellect', fucking Uncle-Tom Bitch! :hee:

Spell-check often? :biggrin:

GAR
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
You know, I actually did some calling around about custom-made necks.

This project is gonna have to take a bolt on neck. In the last 10 years it looks like strat-style neck orders have become 98 percent of the business, and nobody knows who they'd refer me to for a custom non-Fender tyle neck such as a mortise joint bodystyle like the Flying V.

Now I do have an old Hondo flying v, but that's a bolton Fender-type neck too. I could get the dimensions measured, but they're still going to come out like a strat.

First we'd measure the depth of the top and back routings, which I know off teh top of my head are 11/16's.

Next, we'd measure a centerline which if the glueline was centered perfectly in the middle of whoever did this pattern, if so get a perfectly straight yardstick or drywall Tsquare and draw a centerline.

Then we'd mark an intonation point on the yardstick/Tsquare at 25-1/2".

If I recall correctly the Fender neckslot is 3-1/2". Draw a perpendicular square line from the neck heel to 3.5" the C-clamp the neck you'll use at that line and scribe around it. That's what the slot will look like.

Measure now from the nut to the 25.5" line on the yardstick and eyeball down from that mark, so you can pencil a mark on the body centerline. That will be your intonation point for the bridge.

Now tape a piece of string between the D and G string nut slots perfectly in the middle with masking tape.

Balance the bridge on top of the body, then pull the string to the middle of the bridgepieces to align the body with the neck, double checking your scribe-line for the neck pocket before a final deep marking of the pocket line. Then take another piece of string and lay it in the high e an dlow e string notches, then cross the bridge taught where those corresponding string pieces exist at the bridge and you'll find out then if your neck and bridge will work together or not or if the fingerboard is wide enough.

Once you got those marks down: neck slot, intonation, and bridge your ready for the pickup: I choose 1-1/4" ahead of the intonation point. That's my sweet-spot, other guys like it right as close to the bridge as possible, but there's no bass response right there. No string tone.

Last thing to do is the controls cavity: I go by feel of the routerbit feeding into the material after scribing the outline of the cavity. I adjust the router 1/2" deep, then pass through the middle-area in clockwise circles milling out the wood to about the last 1/16" inch to the line. Then I stop and adjust the bit another 3/4" and just hog gobs of material out in clockwise circles. As I make passes, quite alot of wind is blowing chips around so I wear sunglasses to keep debris out of my face and eyes while I mill the cavity.

Usually I can feel when the new depth of cut rubs against the prior depth, and nobody's gonna look in the cavity ever. So I just clean up against the edge by eyeballing the two depth cut's edges and if the depth is still no t deep enough after that, it's okay.

A third readjustment takes into consideration how thick the wood will be at the controls poking thru, and to do this you have had to figure in advance where you want controls to be anyways. So just drill the main volume pot hole, and push a piece of clay or playdoh or even mud in the hole, wiping the excess off the back then pull the glob out again. You can then measure the crush-depth of how much clay passed thru the hole, so you know how much more you need to go in the third depth cut.

Some people say this thickness should be 1/8" but that's poplar and i'd go 3/16". If you can only get potentiometers for Stratocaster and the shaft threads do not pass up thru the wood, you can always shave some wood out around the body of the pot with another routing, in that spot, or whittle it with a pocketknife.

Once you get that far, the tremolo rout should be a no-brainer.

Hardrock69
08-12-2010, 05:24 PM
And so you think this is relevant to what?

Nobody here gives two shits what YOU would do to one of your imaginary guitars.

GAR
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
And so you think this is relevant to what?

To The thread, not your understanding level junior..

jhale667
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
To The thread, not your understanding level junior..

While we're on the subject of UNDERSTANDING...
It's irrelevant to the thread since the kid has indicated he's not interested in your input on guitars - imaginary or otherwise.

VanHalenFan5150
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Gar, I and the other members of the Roth Army openly ask you to

A) Fuck Off

B) Fuck Off

C) Post Pictures Of Your Gear

D) GTFO

E) Use Your Brain

F) All Of The Above

jhale667
08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
:lmao:

VanHalenFan5150
08-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Is it appropriate for me to add "Lean Mean Owning Machine" to my sig? :D

jhale667
08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Is it appropriate for me to add "Lean Mean Owning Machine" to my sig? :D

I think officially you have to slap around 3 out of 4 resident trolls for that...:biggrin: j/k but you COULD put something like "Perma-OWNED GARfail before I learned to drive".... :lmao:

VanHalenFan5150
08-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Will change it soon ;)

GAR
08-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Another thing you could do with that body is flip it back to Ebay where you found it.

VanHalenFan5150
08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Another thing you could do with that body is flip it back to Ebay where you found it.

I found it in my grandmother's basement. My dad and his best friend built it themselves. I'm not going to sell it, douchewaffle

jhale667
08-13-2010, 01:44 AM
douchewaffle

:lol:

Hardrock69
08-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Keep it up! :baaa:

VanHalenFan5150
08-13-2010, 10:07 AM
This thread has long since digressed past the point of discussion, I have a good idea of what I want to do with the body and, I think that this thread should be closed until any work gets done on the guitar. Unless owning Gar is that amusing

jhale667
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
This thread has long since digressed past the point of discussion, I have a good idea of what I want to do with the body and, I think that this thread should be closed until any work gets done on the guitar. Unless owning Gar is that amusing

No probs. PM me if you'd like it re-opened when you have some progress to report. :baaa: