PDA

View Full Version : Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I know some of you don't particularly like Eddie Trunk, but I was driving back to VA Beach from Pittsburgh on Monday night and happened to catch what turned out to be an absolutely fascinating interview with Jason Bonham. While I ignored the other stuff, they talked for about a straight hour about his time leading up to the Zeppelin show at the O2 Arena in London in Dec. 2007.

Then they talked a lot about how close the band came to a full-blown "reunion". Jimmy, John Paul and Jason were practicing and rehearsing for some time, but since Robert said he wasn't going to do it, they were going to have Myles Kennedy on vocals. From what Jason says when they asked him how close it got, he said "It got as close as you could get. It got real close. You know, we did a year of writing and putting stuff together. I loved working with Jimmy and John Paul. It was so much fun."

They then talked about the "Jason Bonham Led Zeppelin Experience", which is going to be Jason and other band members that he won't name yet playing Zeppelin songs on tour. The tour dates won't be released until Aug. 16th (http://www.jblze.com/index.php?page=Home) but he said the 1st show is in Western Canada. There will be 30 shows to start, and if it's popular, he'd love to add more.....

Here's a recent interview he did talking about the project...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jason-bonham-on-his-led-zeppelin-experience-261379/4

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QZxukPZ0pjA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QZxukPZ0pjA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
By the way, I was putzing around RIAA, just as a reminder how fucking great these guys were, check out these sales:

Led Zeppelin I - 8 million
Led Zeppelin II - 12 million
Led Zeppelin III - 6 million
Led Zeppelin IV - 23 million
Houses of the Holy - 11 million
Physical Graffiti - 16 million
Presence - 3 million
In Through the Out Door - 6 million
Coda - 1 million

Unreal....

ThrillsNSpills
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Presence sold 3 million in the states. Are those international figures VA?

Jason's a great drummer but no way could he fill his dad's shoes in that band.
I wonder how Alex would have sounded with Zep.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Yup, skipped over Presence.... Those are from RIAA.....

indeedido
08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
so no tour with Black Country?

Kristy
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Or maybe Jason could tour with the Black Crowes? Not like he'd be selling is soul or anything.

Anyway, I get it, my dad was a famous drummer and since I play drums as well...

Kristy
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Or maybe Jason could tour with the Black Crowes? Not like he'd be selling is soul or anything.

Anyway, I get it, my dad was a famous drummer and since I play drums as well,,,

Terry
08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I dunno...just thinking of that ex-junkie pedophile warlock fumbling around trying to play his old riffs while a former sex symbol / current AARP member attempts to croak out lines like "squeeze my lemon" in their original key...in the case of Led Zeppelin, that's one band I don't want to see 'reunite'.

They were legendary in their day, and the reunion a few years ago was certainly the best attempt since John Bonham died, but it ain't gonna break my heart if they don't tour again.

GAR
08-11-2010, 08:56 PM
When Jason hung out at the studio, I forget the project he was working on at the time BUT I can recall all the fucking FOOD the guy leaves around!

Doritos.
Bottled water.
Twinkies.
Hostess Gem Donettes.
Taco Bell. McDonalds. That guy's a big eater, but a bigger swine of a housekeeper.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I dunno...just thinking of that ex-junkie pedophile warlock fumbling around trying to play his old riffs while a former sex symbol / current AARP member attempts to croak out lines like "squeeze my lemon" in their original key...in the case of Led Zeppelin, that's one band I don't want to see 'reunite'.

They were legendary in their day, and the reunion a few years ago was certainly the best attempt since John Bonham died, but it ain't gonna break my heart if they don't tour again.

Forgot, he also mentioned that he was talking with Robert about the O2 show, and that Robert said the video of the show looks great.... So he made it sound pretty promising that the O2 show would come out in DVD eventually......

Va Beach VH Fan
08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
so no tour with Black Country?

He talked about that in the last segment, but I didn't pay attention... There's some stuff on that band on his website, http://www.jasonbonham.net

Terry
08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Forgot, he also mentioned that he was talking with Robert about the O2 show, and that Robert said the video of the show looks great.... So he made it sound pretty promising that the O2 show would come out in DVD eventually......

It really wasn't a bad show overall, and there's really no reason NOT to put out an offical dvd of it since the thing was pirated to fuck within the first few days on youtube anyway. Plant has always been touchy about that sort of shit, like how the remnants of the band (spearheaded by Plant) refused to have their performance at the 1985 Live Aid show included on the dvd release a few years back since it was "substandard". I mean, who gives a fuck? Put the stuff out there. Same old crap along the lines of other bands who complain about live bootlegs because they "misrepresent the integrity of the artist" when it's really about a) not getting paid and b) because unsanctioned bootlegs represent a true live recording, mistakes and all, and not a band going back into the studio and doing 18 million post-concert overdubs after the fact.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Tour dates just announced....

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience 29 updates
Wednesday 10/13/2010 Red Deer, AB
Thursday 10/14/2010 Calgary, AB
Saturday 10/16/2010 Regina, SK
Sunday 10/17/2010 Winnipeg, MB
Tuesday 10/19/2010 Minneapolis, MN
Wednesday 10/20/2010 Milwaukee, WI
Thursday 10/21/2010 Merrillville, IN
Saturday 10/23/2010 Montreal, QC
Monday 10/25/2010 Quebec City, QC
Wednesday 10/27/2010 Hamilton, ON
Thursday 10/28/2010 Kitchener, ON
Friday 10/29/2010 Toronto, ON
Saturday 10/30/2010 Rochester, NY
Tuesday 11/02/2010 Boston, MA
Wednesday11/03/2010 Red Bank, NJ
Thursday 11/04/2010 Englewood, NJ
Saturday 11/06/2010 Philadelphia, PA
Monday 11/08/2010 New York, NY
Saturday 11/13/2010 Jacksonville, FL
Sunday 11/14/2010 Melbourne, FL
Tuesday 11/16/2010 Houston, TX
Sunday 11/21/2010 Riverside, CA
Tuesday 11/23/2010 Los Angeles, CA
Friday 11/26/2010 Portland, OR
Saturday 11/27/2010 Seattle, WA
Monday 11/29/2010 Vancouver, BC

FORD
08-16-2010, 02:13 PM
So playing with Pseudo-Foreigner got Jason stuck in tribute band mode?

Kinda like when Elliot Easton got bored with ripping off John Fogerty in a Creedence tribute band, so he formed "The New Cars" without either of the Cars principal singers or songwriters (One of whom is dead, and the other who didn't want to do it without the dead guy)

kwame k
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Kinda bummed it doesn't stop off here in Michigan and if this is any indication of how the night will go.......could be really cool!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uP-ZjbrNLWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uP-ZjbrNLWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Kinda bummed it doesn't stop off here in Michigan...

Even more surprising is the decision to not play Miami, Fort Lauderdale or West Palm, instead going to Melbourne, Florida, an area so small it says "Welcome to Melbourne" on both sides of the sign. Seriously, I don't think they even have an airport, let alone a radio station or shopping mall. :duh:

indeedido
08-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I saw Bonham in the mid to late 90s in a college bar called Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK. He was touring doing all Zep songs. Had a Plant clone and a goofy looking little guy playing guitar, but damned if he didn't have Page's riffs down. All in all a great show. Played for three hours and was a great night of Zep songs. He's not the human time machine that his dad was, but still a good drummer.

kwame k
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM
He shows a respect for his dad's drumming and has a great knowledge of his dad's style..........that being said, I think Steve Gorman from the Black Crowes plays Zep's songs better than any other drummer since John Bonham.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zikZw9lzKsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zikZw9lzKsE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8JnHvZ3uOHw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8JnHvZ3uOHw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kwame k
08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Even more surprising is the decision to not play Miami, Fort Lauderdale or West Palm, instead going to Melbourne, Florida, an area so small it says "Welcome to Melbourne" on both sides of the sign. Seriously, I don't think they even have an airport, let alone a radio station or shopping mall. :duh:

Unless they are doing a dry run in smaller markets to work the kinks out and to see if there's any interest in this............the booking agent should be shot repeatedly, even after he's dead!

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Unless they are doing a dry run in smaller markets to work the kinks out and to see if there's any interest in this....

It's conceivable, but 29 shows over two months, starting in Canada, leap frogging back and forth over the border, hitting NY and Philly, then running down the Eastern seaboard to Florida, heading West for Texas and jumping to California only to end up in Canada again is one hell of a dry run! Particularly when you consider how crummy the weather will be at the time. In fact, the itinerary looks much like an early Zeppelin tour would encompass, and that was accomplished using a station wagon and a rented truck!

kwame k
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Supposedly, the 30 shows is a tribute to the 30th anniversary of his father's passing.........

Touring the old school way..........been there, done that, still got the scars as a matter of fact :beers8:

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
They played "Kashmir" with his secret new band on the radio interview with Trunk, and it sounded fantastic....

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Supposedly, the 30 shows is a tribute to the 30th anniversary of his father's passing.........

Touring the old school way..........been there, done that, still got the scars as a matter of fact :beers8:

Yup...two Ford Rangers and a Lincoln Town Car, what joy. And ya know what? If given the opportunity to do it again...

I WOULD NOT! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Confused/stupid.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

kwame k
08-16-2010, 03:48 PM
:biggrin:

I've been itching to get back into a band but don't miss the grind of road, either!

kwame k
08-16-2010, 04:15 PM
They played "Kashmir" with his secret new band on the radio interview with Trunk, and it sounded fantastic....

.....any guess as to who the lead singer is, VA?

Va Beach VH Fan
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
No idea, I don't follow that as closely as I would if, say, Ralph were singing Dave stuff....

kwame k
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Neither do I...........

VAiN
08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Even more surprising is the decision to not play Miami, Fort Lauderdale or West Palm, instead going to Melbourne, Florida, an area so small it says "Welcome to Melbourne" on both sides of the sign.

That actually kinda makes me happy... I think I may take the 2 hour drive North and go for it... My parents have a place in Sebastian, so I'm set! Open invitation Chef, if you want to catch the show as well...

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
That actually kinda makes me happy... I think I may take the 2 hour drive North and go for it... My parents have a place in Sebastian, so I'm set! Open invitation Chef, if you want to catch the show as well...

My neighbors of over 40 years have a farm up in Melbourne, brother! The only downside to the show is it is on a Sunday evening. We are looking at a distance of around 300 miles, round trip. As much as I appreciate the offer, making that trip back south late Sunday night, then being in shape to get up and go to work on Monday is a bit daunting. Plus it's leading into the holidays, so it's doubtful I could get the time off. I'll get back to ya after I check things out further, but for the moment I believe I'll have to pass. :(