PDA

View Full Version : New DEEP PURPLE documentary on the way, focus on 70`s split.

Mr Badguy
08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
A brand new documentary is to be released next year that will deal with the demise of Deep Purple MKIV and their split in 1976.

Set for release in early 2011, DEEP PURPLE: GETTING TIGHTER documents Purple's turbulent last year before the band split initially in 1976. Exclusive new interviews with Glenn Hughes and founder member Jon Lord open the lid on the problems that beset the band as they toured around the world: Death, drugs and devastation, which led to their ultimate demise.

Archive footage from the tour includes interviews with Tommy Bolin, David Coverdale and Ian Paice, while rare and previously unreleased concert footage includes performances of Purple classics 'Smoke On The Water', 'Burn' and 'Highway Star'. Live versions of 'Love Child' and 'You Keep On Moving' from the MKIV line-up's one and only album 'Come Taste The Band' also feature as part of the previously unreleased film 'Deep Purple Rises In Japan' - included in full, within this DVD.

Here’s the trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_V_wR8LCdWk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_V_wR8LCdWk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Sorce: Planetrock.com

==============================

This looks good.

I love "Come taste the band"!

chefcraig
08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
As good as Come Taste The Band was as an album, the tour supporting it was a complete disaster, and various bootlegs of it support this view. Tommy Bolin was so incapacitated by drugs that he could barely play, Glenn Hughes would scream instead of singing, songs would stop, start and totally collapse in confusion, leaving Coverdale to shake his head in disgust and wander to the side of the stage in embarrassment. It will be interesting to see what viewable footage comes to light, as most of the stuff in the trailer appears to come from from a concert in Japan where Bolin's hand could barely form a barre chord. I also question the honesty and integrity of recollections made by Hughes, who by all but a few accounts was fried out of his mind at the time.

Terry
08-16-2010, 09:26 PM
It'd be worth a watch.

I'd rather see Purple at their most dysfunctional than the staid biz that constitutes the band today.

sonrisa salvaje
08-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I agree with Terry. Most people would rather see a train wreck than watch a parade any day.

Terry
08-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I agree with Terry. Most people would rather see a train wreck than watch a parade any day.

Well, if one defines the current version of DP as a parade, that might be applicable.

sonrisa salvaje
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I have never been a big fan of Purple outside of Blackmore's involvement, Come Taste the Band excluded. I did buy Perpendicular and Abandon but they didn't do much for me. I never picked up the last couple - Bananas and Rapture of the Deep. One thing the new line up was part of i thought was pretty cool was on Dio's Killing the Dragon album. The special edition of the album features 2 live cuts from the tour where Dio opened for Purple. The songs are Fever Dreams and Rainbow in the Dark with Purple backing him.

78/84 guy
08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Bolin was fantastic !! What a waste !! Perpendicular was o.k. with Morse but I lost interest in what they became after that disc. Too safe. That's why I love Come Taste The Band, Bolin showed no fear in trying new stuff. That 's why he is in my top 5 as a guitarist. Pick up the Tommy Bolin Live at Ebbet's Field 1974 disc and Teaser if you want Tommy at his best !! James Gang Bang is still great too !!

Cato
03-30-2011, 07:14 AM
news updated

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2011/03/22/phoenix-rising/

Hardrock69
03-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Kickass. I have a bootleg of a show they did in Miami I think from that tour.

It was not a stellar performance by any means.

chefcraig
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Kickass. I have a bootleg of a show they did in Miami I think from that tour.

It was not a stellar performance by any means.

One month after that show, Purple was finished. And a mere nine months after that, Bolin was dead. What a waste. :(

Kristy
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
The late Tommy Bolin. I only heard of the guy for when I was in college in Boulder I lived next door to the house he once resided in/rented. The owner of the property still talks about him to this day.

Now I HAVE to hear Lotus

You people are old.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
:biggrin:

Kristy
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Just for you, Pete*

http://claytoncc.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/geritol.jpg

*Unless Chefcraig is on the scrounge again, be sure to share.

PETE'S BROTHER
03-30-2011, 01:34 PM
i prefer the liquid version

FORD
03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Calling the band "Deep Purple" after both Gillan and Blackmore had left was ridiculous. I'm no fan of Covercheese in the first place, but if he wanted to keep what was left of the band together after Ritchie left, he should have just called it "Whitesnake" or whatever. (Which is more or less what happened after Bolin died anyway)

chefcraig
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Calling the band "Deep Purple" after both Gillan and Blackmore had left was ridiculous. I'm no fan of Covercheese in the first place, but if he wanted to keep what was left of the band together after Ritchie left, he should have just called it "Whitesnake" or whatever. (Which is more or less what happened after Bolin died anyway)

I agree the name should have been changed, but more than anything, it was the band's manager Tony Edwards that lobbied the strongest for them to continue as Deep Purple. For one thing, it was a name brand that had already weathered the departure of Rod Evans and Nick Simpler, who were replaced by Ian Gillan and Roger Glover respectively. When the latter two split, it was Edwards that convinced Jon Lord to try a third time by showing him Billboard record charts, which showed how popular the band was. So Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale were brought on board, and after two albums Ritchie Blackmore had had enough, cannibalized Ronnie James Dio's band Elf and rechristened it Rainbow. (In fact, it was Rainbow that was far closer to what people expected out of Deep Purple than Purple itself by this time.) With Blackmore no longer cracking the whip, Purple turned into an undisciplined, drugged out, embarrassing and remarkably undependable live act. It was simply one trip too many to the well, and other than an undeniably good album (Come Taste The Band), it shit back in the band's (as well as the fan's) faces.

78/84 guy
03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Funny this thread comes back to life when I go on a Bolin and Purple kick this last few weeks !! I just picked up the new remixed outtakes of Bolins Teaser album. Listened to Live In Japan all week at work and Perfect Strangers. And just ordered In Rock off Ebay. Never replaced my tape. Is this Doc out yet ??

chefcraig
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Is this Doc out yet ??

See post #8.

FORD
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
And in other Tommy Bolin related news, it seems that the material he was working on at the time of his death has been resurrected into a tribute album of sorts.

http://www.misterbolinslatenightrevival.com/

Sounds like an interesting project. And it includes a track from The 77s, which is always a great thing.

Terry
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I agree the name should have been changed, but more than anything, it was the band's manager Tony Edwards that lobbied the strongest for them to continue as Deep Purple. For one thing, it was a name brand that had already weathered the departure of Rod Evans and Nick Simpler, who were replaced by Ian Gillan and Roger Glover respectively. When the latter two split, it was Edwards that convinced Jon Lord to try a third time by showing him Billboard record charts, which showed how popular the band was. So Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale were brought on board, and after two albums Ritchie Blackmore had had enough, cannibalized Ronnie James Dio's band Elf and rechristened it Rainbow. (In fact, it was Rainbow that was far closer to what people expected out of Deep Purple than Purple itself by this time.) With Blackmore no longer cracking the whip, Purple turned into an undisciplined, drugged out, embarrassing and remarkably undependable live act. It was simply one trip too many to the well, and other than an undeniably good album (Come Taste The Band), it shit back in the band's (as well as the fan's) faces.

The first two DP albums with Coverdale and Hughes were fair-to-good. The thing with Purple, for me, is that they were just at their best with that MKII lineup. This isn't to say that the other lineups were shite, but by the time Burn and Stormbringer came along the chemistry had changed, and even with Blackmore there neither of those two albums were excellent from start-to-finish. By the time Come Taste The Band was released and Blackmore departed, it...really...wasn't Purple anymore...CTTB WAS a good album, but it had so little stylistically to do with what DP were about...I mean, the idea of Joe Lynn Turner joining the band raised a few eyebrows, but at least Slaves and Masters was recognizable as DP in terms of the overall sound. Bolin had his own style and wasn't gonna slavishly try to replicate Blackmore. Glenn Hughes, well, I just don't see what a lot of other people do in the guy. His voice annoys me. Always has. Coverdale's lyrics combined with Hughes sharing co-lead vocal duties were really a notch below what MKII had to offer, thus while Come Taste The Band is a good mid-1970s rock album it can't even really be properly compared to Fireball, In Rock or Machine Head. I can't even really consider it a DP album.

lesfunk
04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Burn is a great Purple record. Come Taste the band could be cuntsidered the first Whitesnake record

deep purple has always had bad taste in picking guitarists post-Blackmore. Tommy Bolin simply did not have the technical skill to play the Blackmore bits.
Satriani? WTF? Steve Morse is a great player but his style and sound just don't fit the band.
Now that Jon Lord is gone they pretty much don't have any identity at all.

78/84 guy
04-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Burn is a great Purple record. Come Taste the band could be cuntsidered the first Whitesnake record

deep purple has always had bad taste in picking guitarists post-Blackmore. Tommy Bolin simply did not have the technical skill to play the Blackmore bits.
Satriani? WTF? Steve Morse is a great player but his style and sound just don't fit the band.
Now that Jon Lord is gone they pretty much don't have any identity at all.
Bolin didn't have Blackmores skill's ???!!!! Please !! He would destroy Blackmore in the first 5 licks !! They jammed together about the time Tommy got the Purple gig. Blackmore said he was awesome. I like Blackmore just fine and he had a awesome tone, but Bolin was a massive player dude. It's a shame the only live album of his worth a shit is Ebbets Field 74. They just didn't record any of his playing before he was fucked up all the time in Purple. Blackmore was a lazy fucker live. The Japan stuff is really good & Hell or Highwater from 94 but..... Joe played his stuff really good. Great version of Highway Star on You Tube. He nails it !!

Terry
04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Bolin didn't have Blackmores skill's ???!!!! Please !! He would destroy Blackmore in the first 5 licks !! They jammed together about the time Tommy got the Purple gig. Blackmore said he was awesome. I like Blackmore just fine and he had a awesome tone, but Bolin was a massive player dude. It's a shame the only live album of his worth a shit is Ebbets Field 74. They just didn't record any of his playing before he was fucked up all the time in Purple. Blackmore was a lazy fucker live. The Japan stuff is really good & Hell or Highwater from 94 but..... Joe played his stuff really good. Great version of Highway Star on You Tube. He nails it !!

In terms of raw technical ability, back in the mid 1970s I'd have thought Bolin and Blackmore were roughly on par with one another. Just widely different rock guitar styles. Bolin had his own thing going and didn't see the need to copy every note Blackmore played. Both of them were one of a kind, but when it comes to guitar players and Deep Purple Blackmore is the man. It's not even a case of who could outplay who, but rather along the same lines of why Roth is the man when it comes to singers and Van Halen. It's the magic of the chemistry.

78/84 guy
04-09-2011, 12:11 PM
In terms of raw technical ability, back in the mid 1970s I'd have thought Bolin and Blackmore were roughly on par with one another. Just widely different rock guitar styles. Bolin had his own thing going and didn't see the need to copy every note Blackmore played. Both of them were one of a kind, but when it comes to guitar players and Deep Purple Blackmore is the man. It's not even a case of who could outplay who, but rather along the same lines of why Roth is the man when it comes to singers and Van Halen. It's the magic of the chemistry.

Agreed. It was Blackmores band !! He should be the guitarist !! That album should have been the first Whitesnake album. But what is going to make a bigger tour ?? A new band name or the legend of Deep Purple ?? Rock bands are the guitar and voice, change one and it's a whole new game. Bolin was getting booed in England to chant's of were is Ritchie !! I guess that didn't help his drug problem and playing over there. Coverdale said he wanted to cancel the rest of that leg of the tour because Tommy was headed south in England. I just finished Touched By Magic. A Tommy Bolin book. A great read. All interviews from people that played with him. It was very interesting to read about his final year.