PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Threat - Train Evacuated Near Cumberland, Maryland

Viking
06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Mexico Farms is only about three or four miles outside the city limits - where one of the biggest rail yards on the East Coast sits. And it's just a few miles from the 372nd MP HQ. I can look down on it from our deck on the ridge. I'd imagine my mother is out there with binoculars at the moment. :D

Train Evacuated Due to 'Possible Bomb Threat'

Sunday, June 06, 2004

CUMBERLAND, Md. — A train in Maryland was evacuated on Sunday due to a "possible bomb threat," according to local police.

Sgt. Powers with the Maryland State Police (search) said that an Amtrak (search ) train was being held between Mexico Farms, Md., and Cumberland, Md.

Amtrak Spokesman Dan Stessel told Fox News that Amtrak Train 30, the "Three Rivers" train between Chicago and Washington, D.C., was being searched by Cumberland Police with bomb-sniffing dogs.

Two passengers aboard the train were said to have aroused suspicion, which led to the Cumberland Police being notified.

Stessel said the situation was not abnormal and that trains have frequently been searched since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121932,00.html

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
i havent heard about that yet.... i will try to find time to read up

Viking
06-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Ha - so much for my psychic powers. My mom just sent me a reply to an e-mail, and this is the first she's heard of it. LMAO :D

knuckleboner
06-07-2004, 09:41 AM
for the record, this turned out to be nothing.

the passengers were of middle eastern descent.

a thorough search of both the train and the 2 passengers found nothing and both were released.

John Ashcroft
06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Damn! You're not supposed to release them once you've got them!

What the fuck is this "catch-and-release" bullshit! This ain't fishing! ;)

knuckleboner
06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
this was the FBI. that kinda makes it YOUR decision, mr. AG...

John Ashcroft
06-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but public hangings are no longer "politically correct"...

Damn liberals!

Ally_Kat
06-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Scary isn't it? I was on the Cardinal the day before. The boyfriend refuses to let me take Amtrak ever again.

knuckleboner
06-07-2004, 02:46 PM
it wasn't anything, ally. it was a passenger alerting officials to 2 suspicious passengers. searches turned up nothing. this kind of thing happens semi-frequently.

and sorry, JA. but you know, i bet if you called it a reality series, the public might be back interested.

Viking
06-07-2004, 07:39 PM
The 'alleged' terrorists got fingered by some GI's on the train. They said one apparently was acting like he was hiding something in his clothes.

I guess they were still twitchy after their last tour in Iraq. :D

Ally_Kat
06-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
it wasn't anything, ally. it was a passenger alerting officials to 2 suspicious passengers. searches turned up nothing. this kind of thing happens semi-frequently.

and sorry, JA. but you know, i bet if you called it a reality series, the public might be back interested.

I know it was nothing, but it's still scary. They don't check for photo IDs, they don't do anything for luggage. You can basially bring anything on board as long as you have only 2 pieces of luggage per passenger and only if you check it is there anyhting said. The only thing said -- it hasta weigh under a certain amount. Other than that, you can bring whatever if you bring it to your seat by yourself.