PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Influence on the scene..

Carloscda
08-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Read on another site how a listing of best frontman had Sam Higher than Dave?? Whatever!!

Anyway all you have to do is watch Metal Mania to see how with his screams, yells & acrobatics Dave influenced alot of those bands back then!!
Who was doing all that before he came on the scene, No One! Some might say well Dave copied off of Jim Dandy I think his name is? Don't know about that? From the clips I seen I didn't see him jumping 10ft in the air, scissor kicks etc!

Bottom line Dave should be at least in the top 5 period being that just about everyone tried to emulate him! But we all know No one can do it!!

sadaist
08-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Some might say well Dave copied off of Jim Dandy

I don't agree with that at all. Jim Dandy had the same boots. That's all. That's like saying anyone with sideburns copied Elvis. Anyone with round glasses copied Lennon. Anyone with Gibson Explorer copied Hetfield. Nonsense.

GAR
08-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Sammy Hagar has had more efforts out there than Roth, more projects, more collaborations. That doesn't mean they're any good, nor did they sell more than Roth's.

Viacoms' placement of Sammy higher than Dave in any Top 100 Countdown program isn't deceptive, but it does go to show you that Viacom will justify anything in the name of program advertising given the chance.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I have no problem placing Sam over Dave if the poll is strictly talking about singing.....

But if you're talking about frontmen, there is absolutely NO WAY that Bette should be rated higher than Dave, NO WAY....

How you could possibly rate the guy that does nothing nowadays other than bring tramps out to the stage to bring him his tequila, and sign autographs onstage (major bush league), over Dave is completely ridiculous.....

FORD
08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Who the fuck has ever claimed Sammy Hagar as an "influence"? Even musicians who admit to being friends with the Ched Rocker - like Jerry Cantrell, and the guys in Metallica (who actually played a show with Hagar once) still say that Van Halen was best when it was Van HALEN.

Yeah, just try to find me someone who was influenced by this shit......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTZmF00arng

DISCLAIMER: Do NOT click on that, if you have not had your morning caffeine yet!

Jagermeister
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Lmao!

sadaist
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Who the fuck has ever claimed Sammy Hagar as an "influence"?

Very true. Even the biggest Sammy fan couldn't name anyone that was heavily influenced by anything Hagar has ever done. For the life of me I can't think of anyone that may have tried to copycat anything Sammy ever did. Now if we had a Dave copycat list, I could spout of 10 without even breaking a sweat.

No contest here at all. Why this is even up for discussion is weird.

Nitro Express
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Dave inspired the whole glam rock thing in the 1980's. The big hair, the spandex, the over the top inuendo, ect... The thing is the copying was obvious and everyone else lacked the creative, on liners, off the cuff thing Dave had going.

I would say Dave mixed the old vaudville and catskill comedy with rock and roll and added in some martial arts and screeaming.

FORD
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
His old line about being "a black man trapped in a Jewish body" pretty much summed it all up

ELVIS
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Dave was anything but "off the cuff" though...

He repeated the same one-liners night after night, and even proclaimed "I forgot the fucking words" at the same point in Romeo Delight at every show...

:biggrin:

ELVIS
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
he did the same thing in '07 with his pot story...

Big Troubles
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
he did the same thing in '07 with his pot story...

well, to be fair... if the story he tells every night is the same, perhaps its a true story?... Its not like he'll come out and say "well Id tell you guys where I was when I wrote Ice Cream Man, but I told 20,ooo people in New York last night, so either ask them or google it"....

But I do agree about the "forgetting the words" bit at the same spot in RD.

Anonymous
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Dave was anything but "off the cuff" though...

He repeated the same one-liners night after night, and even proclaimed "I forgot the fucking words" at the same point in Romeo Delight at every show...

:biggrin:

Dave had an act. Like a stand-up comedian. Bands play roughly the same set-list in every concert of the tour. Actors rehearse, etc.

What happened was if Dave thought of something good off the cuff one night, he added that to his act.

Off the cuff works sporadically. You can NOT be improvising 24/7. Even if you were the wittiest, quick-thinking person on Earth, your good stuff would be a couple of small islands on an extremely vast sea of annoying, uninteresting bullshit.

I know. I write my posts almost in real time, with a few small orthographic corrections.

Cheers! :bottle:

GAR
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZQabD9A-cU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZQabD9A-cU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I guess when you can't come up with an idea for another guitar, for yourSELF, one recalls they once had an unfinished songlist requiring vocals..

Big Troubles
08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Dave had an act. Like a stand-up comedian. Bands play roughly the same set-list in every concert of the tour. Actors rehearse, etc.

What happened was if Dave thought of something good off the cuff one night, he added that to his act.

Off the cuff works sporadically. You can NOT be improvising 24/7. Even if you were the wittiest, quick-thinking person on Earth, your good stuff would be a couple of small islands on an extremely vast sea of annoying, uninteresting bullshit.

I know. I write my posts almost in real time, with a few small orthographic corrections.

lmao! I think Dave did pretty good improvising on the 07/08 tour... here and there anyways... DTNA, RD, SGMAD had good improvised spots...

BUT.... I think they missed the boat on some of the production, sound and the common place theatrics that us VH die hards were used to... Like where the fuck was Dave's midget with the Jack??? That used to be when Dave would interject and say "its that time of the evening, where the band enjoys a drink or two I say..." Maybe Ed's liver and wife wrote that into the contract? I dunno...

Not much audience participation either...? Stage was set high (perhaps higher than past VH tours?) so there was no hand slappin' groin gyrations to speak of... BUT in fairness I think Ed & Al would like THIS Van Halen to be more "mature"?

The new music will show in spades how much the band has grown in terms of philosophy and experience.

Anonymous
08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
BUT in fairness I think Ed & Al would like THIS Van Halen to be more "mature"?

In all fairness, DAVE should've started doing a more mature show YEARS ago.

It's one thing when a 25-30 something guy threatens to fuck some guy's girlfriend... it's another thing entirely when he's over 40 muchos. That's just fuckin' creepy.

Bottom line is, Dave still has a lot to give the entertainment game. But even if he still can pull of a few hip swivels & a wink at some babe in the audience, he's not 25 any more. The randy teenager/young adult must give way to the suave, experienced mature guy.

It's no shame in getting old & it doesn't stop you from doing what you always did. You just gotta do it differently.

For an even more extreme example, let's say you're around 28, like me. You're too fuckin' old to go runnin' off all excited & screamin' at the top of your lungs in the middle of the afternoon whenever you see a swing, a slide or a teeter totter. But let's say it's deep night & you add a few drinks to the equation & you can wander off nonchalantly to all three & have the time of your fuckin' life.

People KNOW that you're drunk & doing something stupid, but it's harmless & you're having fun, so they'll just smile & shake their heads, but they won't call you a creepy fucker that's in the middle of the playground with all the kids in the afternoon.

Act your age & you'll never be old.

Carloscda
08-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Well with the boots, internet & cell phone video we now know this but back in the day unless you went to every show you wouldn't.

I used to get Circus magazine whenever they had VH on the cover & I never remember reading any complaints about Dave repeating the same stories.

And on a side note listening to the boots, they did more improve during the tunes vs the solos?!

Big Troubles
08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
In all fairness, DAVE should've started doing a more mature show YEARS ago.

It's one thing when a 25-30 something guy threatens to fuck some guy's girlfriend... it's another thing entirely when he's over 40 muchos. That's just fuckin' creepy.

Bottom line is, Dave still has a lot to give the entertainment game. But even if he still can pull of a few hip swivels & a wink at some babe in the audience, he's not 25 any more. The randy teenager/young adult must give way to the suave, experienced mature guy.

It's no shame in getting old & it doesn't stop you from doing what you always did. You just gotta do it differently.

For an even more extreme example, let's say you're around 28, like me.

i dunno man... Im 39 and my g/f is 21. She acts more mature... Until she gets in bed. THEN I feel old! lol Yeah man...She wants to go 4 or 5 times... I screw maybe 3 times and I need a break in between! =OLD. :(

sonrisa salvaje
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll tell you what is scary..... think about what effect the song and video for Jump had on the music industry for VH's genre of music and what it set in motion on MTV in the way of videos to come. What Van Halen captured in that moment was timeless and its "influence on the scene" was incredible.